"Miscellanious Magical Items" in Star Wars - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

"Miscellanious Magical Items" in Star Wars

"Miscellanious Magical Items" in Star Wars

After a great deal of thought, I think I've come up with one of the failings of Star Wars RPG systems(specifically the D6 version but possibly any other version.

It seems strange to say so, but the issue seems to be itemization.

D6 systems lack milestone markers that many other RPGs have; characters simply get incrementally better over time--You don't get new feats, new hitpoints, and only Force characters get new powers. Even equipment is mostly of the slight-better-damage variety.

This often plays out in combat where you have very few combat options (dodge, shoot, melee, etc) and It can lead to a feeling that the characters don't really have some new ability or power to play with. There is no novelty there, and until you give players new toys (be it in the form of powers or items) Furthermore the atmosphere of Star Wars isn't really of the "Kill them & Loot the bodies, find n33t stuff" and buying the items in stores is not particularly satisfying.

I'm looking for ways to get misc. items in the players hands (without having some player hand them to them, or having them bought in stores)

But I'm also looking to expand the TYPE of items beyond weapons, armors. Not exactly looking to duplicate items from D&D, but they should have functions that allow more creative uses than simply shoot better/harder/farther. They should still be SciFi-ey and keep in the realm of star wars. (no mini wormholes or teleporters for example)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREO View Post
The qualities of the game you're defining as failings, is what I find most attractive…
Having cut my teeth on WEG 1st end, I'll agree with this. It is a feature, not a bug. However if you want new and exotic gear I would start with the Galaxy Guides and Craken's Rebel Field Guide. For on line sources I would start with Wookieepdiea and then branch outward.

I can't really speak for the WEG, but the WotC and FFG Star Wars games are certainly made to purposively put much less emphasis on 'da loot. Something I am totally ok with, as I've never really played any game where this was a focus.

If you're set on providing some items with a "magical enchantment" feel, there's always Jedi/Sith holocrons, Sith talismans, or other Sith and Jedi gear from the Old Republic era.

Stuff like that could be found while exploring ancient Jedi or Sith temples, old catacombs, or other forgotten and abandoned locations. The KoTOR games used this method more than a few times, I believe.

I don't have any of the books for WEG, but examples of those sort of items might be found in the previously mentioned Galaxy Guides, or various Jedi or Dark Side source books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREO View Post
The qualities of the game you're defining as failings, is what I find most attractive…
Agreed. Personal preference is WEG d6 -> Star Wars using Fate -> SAGA -> Revised d20 -> FFG

I've only ever played the SAGA version but my players were always more interested in a good story (plot twists, memorable characters, interesting locations, etc.) and being able to do awesome things rather than obtain them. As an example, I once discussed how a Jedi PC might run up the front of a Stormtrooper and leap out of a skylight - she was never that interested in lootz. What we did find, however, was that the players who were only ever out for getting rare items and XP - if given them at the start (or, at least, a decent amount) - could quickly see past that and move on to character development. That, in turn, leads to more plot material for me (GM) to play with. Of all the games I ran, I don't think I ever had PCs move up more than one or two CLs. Gaining XP was just never a priority for them. I suppose it depends on your player motivations.

I agree with the above.
Looking past the fact I put priority and story and all that, even from a purely mechanical and concept stand point, I favour the sort of "loot lite" feel of Star Wars RPG's, simply cause I was always more fond of the whole "the power comes from the person, not the equipment" thing.
Not to mention, just makes very little sense to make Star Wars loot centric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teraki View Post
Looking past the fact I put priority and story and all that, even from a purely mechanical and concept stand point, I favour the sort of "loot lite" feel of Star Wars RPG's, simply cause I was always more fond of the whole "the power comes from the person, not the equipment" thing.
This doesn't apply to anyone who isn't Force Sensitive in the Star Wars universe, though. Look at the Fetts: the armour was not for decoration, it was because it was functional armour and a worn toolkit.

while it has nothing to do with a d20 system some misc items from the game 'star wars combine' might be of some help to adding some neat functional items.

though i disagree about the remark to the fetts. they were warriors with neat items not people with powerful items to make them warriors. strip a fighter down and he is weak, strip a monk down and he's just weaker but still capable. like batman, judge dredd and many others like the fetts they don't need high powered equipment to be strong they just were.

I've never played d6 Star Wars or its later incarnations simply for the loot. Sure, getting stuff was nice. So was advancing your abilities. But the main thing about playing these games was to have a fun adventure. The typical D&D dungeon crawl mentality really wasn't a factor I'd like to see in it.