Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Simulating Russian Roulette

Simulating Russian Roulette

I just re-watched The Deer Hunter and it got me thinking how intense it would be to have a situation where two PCs are forced to sit down and play a game of Russian Roulette. I wondered what the easiest way to simulate that in a PbP scenarios might be, dice and crunch wise. Its a game of luck and not skill and I would think the hard thing to emulate with M-W dice would be the fact that you spin the cylinder with one bullet in the chamber, the bullet thus sitting in a slot between 1-6. Each person takes a turn until the gun goes off.

I would like to simulate the back and forth mechanic by having the players roll each round but I'm not sure if that makes sense or can work. My original thought was this:

1d2 to determine who pulls first. This is done by spinning rhe pistol on the table in the movie. Whoever the barrel is pointing at when it stops spinning pulls first.

1st pull there is a 1 in 6 chance the gun goes off. So I was thinking the player rolls a d% and on first pull, the gun goes off if they roll higher than 84. (100 / 6 = 16.6 and 100 - 16 = 84)

2nd pull, the odds go up - roll anything higher than 68 and the fun fires.

3rd pull, 52 or higher the gun goes off

4th pull, anything higher than 36

5th pull, anything higher than 20 the gun fires

6th pull. If it gets this far it always fires.

Someone check my math and suggest an alternative or clean this method up if possible. I'm super tired so might not make sense.

Thanks!

They have dice for these.

First... Roll 1d6. Whatever you roll is the chamber with the bullet in it. You now know who wins or loses. If you roll a 1- first chamber. 3, third chamber.

Second... Don't tell the players the roll.

Third... Smile a lot.

But you don't eliminate results as you go, so it doesn't truly emulate the 6 pulls maximum. Both players could roll say a 3 on their turn, then a 1 and a 4, and then a 4 and a 3. The bullet was in chamber 5 but somehow they pulled 6 times and the gun didn't fire. DERP.

Edit: Okay, it makes more sense now. Don't think you were finished posting when I first looked.

I see your PC murdering has hit new lows... -_-

Tana means the GM rolls 1d6 once. The players don't roll anything at all. As soon as the GM knows who is going first - however that is determined - they know who's going to die (assuming the game goes long enough).

@ Arella: Who's to say its for the game that you're in though. Oh, right. I'm only running one game. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arella View Post
Tana means the GM rolls 1d6 once. The players don't roll anything at all. As soon as the GM knows who is going first - however that is determined - they know who's going to die (assuming the game goes long enough).
Yeah, he edited his comment to explain and I got it. I really want the escalating odds of actually rolling each pull though.

Trust me. The odds escalate. YOU know the roll. The players do not.

And the GM doesn't get apprehension. They get amusement at the suffering of others.

If the cylinder only gets spun once, a single die roll will determine the results (since it's simply passed back and forth until the designated chamber is reached). Everything after that die roll is simply roleplaying unless something happens to change (or break, or render irrelevant) the rules of the 'game'.

If the cylinder gets spun after each pull, then the odds don't change from one pull to the next.