Doing Away with the Metaplot - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Doing Away with the Metaplot

Doing Away with the Metaplot

I have been thinking and have been reworking the Meta plot (sort to speak) Looking for some ideas and feed back from my fellow Vampire players. Here is what I have so far. This is more an outline.

Camarilla:
The Camarilla was founded by the Founders in an effort to staple off the Inquisition and to hide in plain sight from mortals. The founding clans are.
The Ventrue - Blue Bloods, Leaders of the Camarilla.
The Lasombra - The Keepers, though plagued with uprising from within the clan but the clan elders join the Camarilla in an effort to gain stability the few traitors are found and made an example of.
The Toreador- The are about building lasting beauty and the true founders of the Masquerade, they are the architects of the sect.
The Nosferatu- They are the information gathers and the muscle of the sect, where they were ignored in the dark ages, they are now allies and accepted as peers.
The Cappadocian- The attempt on the destruction of their clan was met with resistance, the Ventrue lead by Lord Hardestadt the Elder, stopped the Giovanni with the other Founders, the Cappadocian became part of the Camarilla the next night.
The Gangrel- They start in the Camarilla but by the early 1800's they are little more then a bloodline in the sect, as they are loners, the overall clan is more Independent by this time.

========================================================================
Sabbat:
The Sabbat was formed in 1493 during the Convention of Thornes, the remains of the Anarch revolt.
The Brujah:- The Rabble who respect no authority, the elders joined the Camarilla at first but later seeded into the Sabbat when they discovered what the founders had planned.
The Tzimisce:- The Fiends followed the Brujah and joined them in creating the Sabbat.
=========================================================================
Independent:
Tremere:- The mages turned Vampire Warlocks serve no sect, and though they faced tuff times from 1200-1850, they survived by being a close net organization on its own.
Setites: They are fine as is in canon.
Malkavian: The Lunatics are just that, crazy, though they appear in both the Camarilla and Sabbat they have no formal structure.
Excluded the Madness Network, it is there but some do not even know what it is, let alone as a network.
ooc They are the dark figures of night, not the emo little girl with a teddy bear.
Baali: The Baali have risen up and become an independent clan, they are hated by almost all, but they have power and though hunted by both the Camarilla and Sabbat, they are non the less alive an well.
Assamite: Their feud or war takes place in several points in time, it starts in the Dark Ages when the clan becomes of two minds, a civil war is fought over the next 100 years. They in fact unkown to most become two clans. Those of the West and Those of the East.

=========================================================================
Bloodlines:

Giovanni- Though they are around they are not a driving force, they are numerous and the Cap's hate them as they return the sentiment.
Salubri Thought to be destroyed, the childe of Saulot, Rayzeel was able to help his clan persevere and though the Tremere despise them they are alive in modern nights, though she rest somewhere in torpor her children watch over her.
Ravnos: A little more then a bloodline and a descendant of the Gangrel. Some of their kind can be seen in the Sabbat but none are known to serve in the Camarilla.
=============================================================================

That is what I have, again a quick over view, I may be running a game using this or a version of this, please add. Again I am going away from the traditional Meta Plot, it has been done a million times around, I am mixing things up. Thanks for reading.

Are you thinking of the Sabbat as the ultra-violent tear everything down type or the more political active subtle kind? One thing I liked about Requiem was that the groups found there own balance in each city, either working together or fighting against each other.

Personally I'd probably keep Ravnos as a full Clan, but limit there influence mostly to India, but that's just me...

I know I did not expound on a lot but the Sabbat would have a few groups in them, similar to a Covenant. without going into a ton of detail.
The Religious- The Sabbat titles and rites could be thought to be a religious form, so the overall over the years they would be tied togther through faith, in Caine and their transcendence into Cainites.

The Roused- Those who want to tear down all authority, To excite, as to anger or action; stir up.

The Conservatism- Those who know the Sabbat is a sect and see it as such, tasked with guiding it and making sure it does not implode.

You would still have the Black Hand, Inquisitors, etc but they will have been reworked.

I would see the Sects not being in total war with each other, more like Russian and The United States were in the 70-80's I mean things happen from time to time, but a conquest of a city would be a global event.

Nosferatu have Obfuscate if they ever need to interact with Humans. That and a certain Quality that makes them look like ugly humans should cover interactions.

Samedi have Obfuscate as well.

Interesting ideas. Sounds like it could work. Keeping Lasombra in the Cam is interesting. Would you be wiping out Gratiano's diablerie entirely or reworking canon so that more followed Montano into the Cam?

Only big problem I see is making the Tremere independent. If the Tzimisce are still Sabbat, the Tremere need to be Cam, otherwise the Cam would have lost big time, a long time ago. The Tzimisce Kolduns would have just decimated them with no real resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killersquirrel59 View Post
Only big problem I see is making the Tremere independent. If the Tzimisce are still Sabbat, the Tremere need to be Cam, otherwise the Cam would have lost big time, a long time ago. The Tzimisce Kolduns would have just decimated them with no real resistance.
Ignoring for now the whole "My Clan can beat Your Clan" debate your statement implies.

Why?

Why would the Camarilla and Sabbat be at war? If you are removing the meta-plot from the setting, there is no reason for it to be all out fighting to the death. Turn the entire struggle into a political scene with occasional outbreaks of violent conflict. You could give each city (Or, more important for gaming purposes, the city your personal game is set in) members of Camarilla and Sabbat at the same Elysium in bitter verbal arguments and acts of one upmanship instead of always drawing guns and shooting it out.

If you're ditching the meta-plot, don't do it just as window dressing or to shuffle the Clan allegiances around and then keep the same rigid railroad tracks in place to make everyone fight. Why not make the changes that allow Players to choose any clan or any political allegiance and still be able to function together without it always turning into Player vs Player combat.

That I would find far more interesting as a setting change, personally. Eliminate the Cam and Sabbat altogether. Have the elders win the war but have them all summarily reject Hardestadt and Rafael de Corazon's schemes and let the Age of Princes continue into the modern nights. Or have the Anarchs have won, but have burned themselves out quickly or gotten corrupted. So many possibilities…

As for Tremere and Tzimisce, it's basic use of their powers. Tzimisce Kolduns are pure artillery that can blow up large portions of cities and assassinate people from 5 miles away. If the Cam has no one to put up wards, it becomes a range war and, much like the Falklans, the Argentinians with the shorter guns will lose. To quote Ricky Gervais on the subject, "It's the military equivalent of holding a midget at arms length while he swings his fists at you missing." Kolduns are an incredibly potent weapon. If their enemies have no way of countering said weapon, their enemies lose.

Quote:
As for Tremere and Tzimisce, it's basic use of their powers. Tzimisce Kolduns are pure artillery that can blow up large portions of cities and assassinate people from 5 miles away. If the Cam has no one to put up wards, it becomes a range war and, much like the Falklans, the Argentinians with the shorter guns will lose. To quote Ricky Gervais on the subject, "It's the military equivalent of holding a midget at arms length while he swings his fists at you missing." Kolduns are an incredibly potent weapon. If their enemies have no way of countering said weapon, their enemies lose.
I've always been fond of the idea of the schismatic Assamites finally getting a seat on the Camarilla and their bringing their sorcery to throw a monkey-wrench on the tremere monopoly on magic as a plot point.

Quote:
Yes. And the normal military won't have any retaliation? Or Vampire backed military units won't bomb the crap out of the backwards east European nation terrorists? And there's always the Loki Argument
From the Roy Thomas era of Thor. Loki was asked why he didn't join the Fire Giants in demolishing Asguard. His answer was "Why would I want to be the ruler of all I survey when all I survey is nought but a smoking ruin?"

Anything you can do I can come up with at least five ways to counter. No single one Clan has any more ability to wipe out the others or they'd have done it centuries ago. Your argument is pointless and futile and has no place in this thread.

As far as war over livestock, it does not have to be an open war. If you're going to have it be an open war then you're not really getting rid of the meta-plot, you're just re-titling it.