ROLL 20 Virtual Table Top - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

ROLL 20 Virtual Table Top

ROLL 20 Virtual Table Top

anybody on here use it? any thoughts?

It rocks!

I'm in several games and GM another where we use it for Maps only. We do all Posts here. All Sheets and Rolls, etc here. (Games were advertised and recruited here.) But it is truly great. Players can update their tokens / move them on the maps. After Posts. "Energy Bars" etc for HP can be done. Great tool to do the maps for in conjunction with Posts and Sheets on this site. I highly recommend it.

(I've used some others as well - Ditzie, Pyromancer, ... something.) And it is my favorite by far.

(I purchased a Paizo - Pathfinder - Adventure Path module. And I can load and drop in maps from it. And they work. A little off on the grid. But likely due to me.)

It's pretty good, kinda player heavy so it might be difficult finding a game there but the mechanics behind it is awesome.

I run both a pbp game from here and a session game (also based here) using Roll20. Pros and Cons listed below:

Pro
1) The base functionality is free and that is amazing and pretty damn good.
2) Image upload and manipulation is fairly simple.
3) User permissions by token makes sense and is useable.
4) Macros are available (but see below).
5) Journal entries for characters and enemies, cleverly used, can be powerful.
6) Support responses are super fast.

Con
1) Macros are hard to learn, not interactive with visual environment well enough, cannot be arrayed in front of you as you like, and need more reference breadth and depth in their syntax.
2) The lfg function on Roll20 is goofy, arbitrary, and the search tool is weak in options. It makes getting and serving a game far more difficult/clumsy than it should be. MW is a champion by comparison.
3) A lot of functions are available only to paying members
4) The Interface is awkward in terms of user behaviors. Not intuitive. Switching between controls is cumbersome instead of fluid.
5) The data storage of the character journal and jukebox and art library are not pretty, awkward to use, and become extremely unmanageable for a campaign with any depth. Hierarchical controls need to be added everywhere. These need to relate to context on the map pages.
6) Aligning your map to grid is a potentially tedious thing for many maps.
7) When you switch pages there is no character list context that comes with you and there damn sure should be.
8) Even though support responses are super fast, they are not, so far as I can tell, fast to fix behavioral and functional issues with Roll20. It makes them seem to care more about their image than about their functionality. Flash over substance.

All the cons I have posted as issues for the roll20 staff/community to handle.

thats cool from what I have sen it looks very cool. however I am not very computer savy so running a game is byound me lol. if somebody gets frogy and wants to run a game using roll 20 id like to tag along as a player to sort of start learning how to use it.

If you make your own maps, make sure that the grid is 70x70 Pixels per square for maximum line-up with Roll20. 35x35 "can" work too, but I found it skewing the alignment slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series0 View Post
I run both a pbp game from here and a session game (also based here) using Roll20. Pros and Cons listed below:

Pro
1) The base functionality is free and that is amazing and pretty damn good.
2) Image upload and manipulation is fairly simple.
3) User permissions by token makes sense and is useable.
4) Macros are available (but see below).
5) Journal entries for characters and enemies, cleverly used, can be powerful.
6) Support responses are super fast.

Con
1) Macros are hard to learn, not interactive with visual environment well enough, cannot be arrayed in front of you as you like, and need more reference breadth and depth in their syntax.
2) The lfg function on Roll20 is goofy, arbitrary, and the search tool is weak in options. It makes getting and serving a game far more difficult/clumsy than it should be. MW is a champion by comparison.
3) A lot of functions are available only to paying members
4) The Interface is awkward in terms of user behaviors. Not intuitive. Switching between controls is cumbersome instead of fluid.
5) The data storage of the character journal and jukebox and art library are not pretty, awkward to use, and become extremely unmanageable for a campaign with any depth. Hierarchical controls need to be added everywhere. These need to relate to context on the map pages.
6) Aligning your map to grid is a potentially tedious thing for many maps.
7) When you switch pages there is no character list context that comes with you and there damn sure should be.
8) Even though support responses are super fast, they are not, so far as I can tell, fast to fix behavioral and functional issues with Roll20. It makes them seem to care more about their image than about their functionality. Flash over substance.

All the cons I have posted as issues for the roll20 staff/community to handle.
It should be noted that only the GM/Game Creator (Gm can be transferred) needs to pay, so, if you are with a static group (I run a game there as well, comprised of my real life gaming group from Colorado, I had to move away from there) everyone can pitch in to get one paid account.

A lot of issues finding new games that actually and while ongoing games are always happy to pick up a replacement member it isn't always that fun do to not knowing what has happened previously.

Great place for open table mega-dungeons though. Barrowmaze's Opentable is great in how the guy sets it up and plays it.

Also if anyone plans to run a late night game (say 2200 est) that is about 2 2.5 hours long I am up for it!