Is there a D20 Shadowrun? - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Is there a D20 Shadowrun?

Is there a D20 Shadowrun?

Alright, so basically some guy basically commented in another thread "Subtle cue to make more shadowrun happen around here", and being a huge fan of Saints Row the Third, and other such Cyberpunk/Twenty-minute-into-the-future style games, you'd think Shadowrun would be one of those things I'd be running CONSTANTLY.

Here's the problem....I never had anyone to teach me Shadowrun and I have NO CLUE how it works.

So if there's a D20 Shadowrun game, or some D20 Cyberpunk game in general that someone could point me towards, so I could possibly start working on future concepts and such, that would be great.

I cannot imagine how you connected Saints Row to Shadowrun, but. There is no official d20 Shadowrun product. If you want to run cyberpunk stuff in d20, I would start with d20 Modern. There has to be some cybernetics rules for that; throw in the standard magic rules in Urban Arcana and you're halfway there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
I cannot imagine how you connected Saints Row to Shadowrun, but. There is no official d20 Shadowrun product. If you want to run cyberpunk stuff in d20, I would start with d20 Modern. There has to be some cybernetics rules for that; throw in the standard magic rules in Urban Arcana and you're halfway there.
Thanks.

Also come on, there is literally a gang in the game called the Deckers. There's a mission that takes place in Cyberspace of all things. Tell me that isn't some variant of Cyberpunk.

Oh, Saints Row definitely has cyberpunk elements, but it's basically on the opposite end of the spectrum from Shadowun. In Saints Row, you pick up a grenade launcher and blow up tanks. In Shadowrun, if all goes well no one will ever know you were at the mission location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
Oh, Saints Row definitely has cyberpunk elements, but it's basically on the opposite end of the spectrum from Shadowun. In Saints Row, you pick up a grenade launcher and blow up tanks. In Shadowrun, if all goes well no one will ever know you were at the mission location.
"In Shadowrun, if all goes...." BHAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW.

That never happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_Goddess View Post
"In Shadowrun, if all goes...." BHAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW.

That never happens.
Of course not, that's the fun.

If you're going to do a cyberpunk game, I'd give some hard thought on how you're going to handle hacking. Not many cyberpunk games have a good system to handle hacking. It's either too simple, and then something that it a major focus of a lot of cyberpunk stories is trivialized; or it's too complex and becomes a minigame that only one player is engaged with at any one time. Shadowrun is probably one of the worst offenders, making hacking into a miniadventure that only the hacker gets to engage with.

Well, someone made a fan made game for Ghost in the Shell for d20 modern that could easily be used as a stand-in for Shadowrun with a few tweaks, I think.
http://www.serenadawn.com/GhostintheShellRPG.htm

The theme of a shadowrun game runs from Black Shades to Pink Mohawk. The former is subtle, "realistic" and you wear Black Shades everywhere so that your retinas don't accidentally get caught on any surveillance. The latter is very 80'ish in it's overblown glory and larger-than-life, it's fast and action packed and of course you'll be wearing a Pink Mohawk to go with your pimped out rocket launcher. To paraphrase someone I can't recall the name of: "Shootouts between Terminator and Gandalf is pretty common on runs".

The only trick is to find where you fall on that spectrum and make sure your players are on the same wavelength. I've been interested in Shadowrun for about six years, but I've never played or run a game. For PbP, I'd actually advice you to go with d20 Future and mod it somewhat, the Shadowrun system has many consecutive shifts between the players where one side rolls dice and the other responds that's problematic in PbP combat.

For example, in d20, you make your attacks, the DM might then make some saves or immediate actions, perhaps at most you need to go once more if something changed during your turn.
Shadowrun combat: Resolve attack (your attack dice vs. npc's defense dice), then resolve damage (base damage + left over attack dice), then resolve soak (damage vs. targets Body stat + armour stat). Then resolve all of this up to 4 times per character, depending on how many initiative passes they have (you act on your Initiative in the first Initative pass. If you have multiple passes, you act on the same initiative in the next pass -perhaps you're hooked up on combat drugs, a spell or some good 'ol fashioned wired reflexes cyberware - and each round have 4 passes).*
On the other hand, combat rounds tend to be fast and brutal, so... maybe... it might take just a bit longer than d20 combat in PbP, but I'm very dubious.

*At least in 4th Anniversary Edition, the one I'm used to.

you can make a pseudo-shadowrun setting easily with d20 modern.

D20 modern corebook+Urban Arcana+D20 Future+Future Tech+Cyberscape. With these 5 books you get all the rules for magic, non-nonhuman races along with matrix rules and implants and stuff. Shadowrun Trolls can be emulate with the stats for bugbears in terms of general abilities by comparison.

Not a perfect transition (especially with magic and such) but workable.