Downloading Sheets - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Downloading Sheets

Downloading Sheets

My Browser Information: Chrome Version 56.0.2924.87

Message: So obviously there's this whole loss of data thing that happened, I see there is now a button to easily download your sheets. I have a likely dumb sounding question regarding it, I can't tell what file type this saves it as since when I look at it it simply says the type is 'File'. So my question comes in two parts I guess, what can I do with this saved file and can I reupload it to Myth Weavers again in the event that something like this were to happen again? I'm just not sure what to do with the downloaded sheets in the future basically since I don't know what would be able to open them or how one would upload them again if there is a way to do so if we have to at any future point. Any help is appreciated, I'm sorry if I've overlooked anything important here.

Will there be a way to import these down the line? Right now these are basically just hard-to-read backups, not useless, but really inconvenient.

(Well, I will be able to use the json files to do shenanigans with my bot. But that's beside the point.)

It's not clear to me what people were expecting with the sheet backup. It's nothing more than a straight dump of the data, for which I'll eventually support an import.

I chose json over xml for readability and ease of editability (when it's formatted, not as a huge blob), and to avoid all of the encoding issues that come up with xml. We use it as the data format in the backend because it's so easy/versatile.

If you want something that looks like the sheet - use your browser to print as pdf. This functionality has always been there.

If you want something that looks like the sheet and is editable... that's not a backup, that's a whole application. One I'd like to do, but something different entirely.

This web page seems to be good for converting JSON files. I tested it for an excel file and checked the result with my antivirus software. It generated two rows with as many columns as fields in the sheet / file...

https://www.coolutils.com/online/JSON-to-XLSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
If you want something that looks like the sheet and is editable... that's not a backup, that's a whole application. One I'd like to do, but something different entirely.
I don't envy you on that job.

Like, actually writing the parser part is theoretically easy. But once you get into the fact this site supports many, many different game systems we are looking at literally designing a whole new program from the ground up, layout, parser and all for each individual system.

In my professional opinion as a programmer: Ouch.

Well, I'd probably have to wrap a browser which uses a cached version of the webapp, and provide support for file access/handling (since that can't just be done in-browser offline). Alternatively, I could set the webapp to be cached offline and allow pasting in json data to make it editable... and then use data urls to make it downloadable... but that's not super intuitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
Well, I'd probably have to wrap a browser which uses a cached version of the webapp, and provide support for file access/handling (since that can't just be done in-browser offline). Alternatively, I could set the webapp to be cached offline and allow pasting in json data to make it editable... and then use data urls to make it downloadable... but that's not super intuitive.
i could probably look into some kind of google app thing that can read them and display them in the browser and maybe a google doc exporter thing if people want to do that in chrome. but yah, that might not be worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPQ_Purple View Post
In my professional opinion as a programmer: Ouch.
+1 ing this sentiment too.

Quote:
i could probably look into some kind of google app thing that can read them and display them in the browser and maybe a google doc exporter thing if people want to do that in chrome. but yah, that might not be worth the effort.
If it requires an internet connection it's probably quite beyond the point - they could just use the regular sheets system in that case.