Aging Effects - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Aging Effects

Aging Effects

I know about the aging effects to ability scores for humans as they grow older. However, what I can't seem to find are any aging effects to ability scores (or otherwise) to humans that are preteen. I have received a character application for a 9 year old human girl. Is there any ability score mods that should be implemented? Are there any sources that touch on this? Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcrime View Post
Is there any ability score mods that should be implemented? Are there any sources that touch on this? Thank you.
You could...
  1. set a non-adult at a score of 1 (incurring a -5 penalty to all ability score related checks and rolls and other modifiers) until they reach adulthood?
  2. Or just a flat penalty for adolescene or childhood? Anywhere between -1 and -6 to any and all scores?
What are they trying to create as a character? Some kind of literal child prodigy?

I could swear there was something in a Dragon years ago, but that's not very useful (or very surprising, over its history, Dragon published some very strange articles indeed). Other than that, I don't recall anything.

Quote:
What are they trying to create as a character? Some kind of literal child prodigy?
A literal child prodigy, which I'm going to allow. I just need to figure out what gets modified.

If it's for Pathfinder, there's a set of rules for young characters in Ultimate Campaign, also on the d20pfsrd. I happen to think they're a *little* too harsh, but they're a good starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcrime View Post
A literal child prodigy, which I'm going to allow. I just need to figure out what gets modified.
If I had to guess...
...the player is probably figuring that you're not going to impose penalties or any sort.
However, you could/should point out that even if they're an absolute genius, a child wizard should not be able to hit as hard as an adult thief who made Strength their dump stat.
If they wanna play a kid, they should be willing to accept the consequences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProximaC View Post
If it's for Pathfinder, there's a set of rules for young characters in Ultimate Campaign, also on the d20pfsrd. I happen to think they're a *little* too harsh, but they're a good starting point.
If it were me, I'd also consider the Pathfinder rules.

The pathfinder rules were very helpful, if maybe a little too harsh as you said. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Happy to help. If it were me, I'd consider using the ability score penalties but let the PC take any class they want due to the 'child prodigy' thing.