Which version of Star Wars do you prefer? - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Which version of Star Wars do you prefer?

View Poll Results
Which star wars game do you prefer?
Saga Edition 12 57.14%
Fantasy Flight Games [Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny] 9 42.86%

Which version of Star Wars do you prefer?

I am a huge star wars fan and I was introduced to roleplaying for d20. While I have had the rulebooks since d20 I have only played Saga Edition and Fantasy Flight Games. I like both but can't fully settle on one or the other. What do you guys prefer? If I were to run either who would be interested.

I'd have to say Star Wars Revised (d20) Its what I always played at the table and what I played with in KOTOR so that's still the Star Wars RPG for me. I've heard good things about both Saga and FFG versions, but I'm not going to keep rebuying books I already have.

I was introduced to roleplaying with Revised. I like some ideas from it and kinda wish they would have made it to Saga Edition but overall I think Saga is better than Revised. I am a minority but I preferred the idea of using Vitality Points for Force Powers as a way to balance out rather than spells per encounter of Saga Edition or the force die of FFG.

Poll is missing the WEG version, which has a lot of fans. Expect that to be a point made sooner or later by one of those fans.

That said, I like Saga edition and I think it's the best incarnation of the d20 engine out there, but I also like the idea of the FFG version having never played it. I kinda want to, but at the same time I've got enough games that I want to try on my plate to begin with, so it's not really a priority.

I would need someone to run WEG and let me watch/play first. I understand the concept but it just feels weird to me. I feel like there is too many skills and progressions is too slow but once you are experienced you are hard to stop. I could be wrong I have never played it.

When you phrase the poll like you did, someone would mention it. But as to your thread question itself as to which you want, it really depends on what you want from the game. FFG is a lot more character and narrativistic than Saga, with mechanics that involve the players into the narrative at a level deeper than "you succeed or fail". Saga, on the other hand, has a lot of options for combat and character building, and arguably allows for a far more broader focus with classes being (relatively) balanced against each other.

So my suggestion is to think about what kind of game you want to run and use the system better suited for it, instead of figuring out what system you want to use first and slapping a game onto it.

Neither - I prefer Star Wars Roleplaying Game, which is a d20 System roleplaying game set in the Star Wars universe. The game was written by Bill Slavicsek, Andy Collins and JD Wiker and published by Wizards of the Coast in late 2000 and revised in 2002

Is Basically 3.5 D&D

I have trouble making up my mind. On one hand I really like the narrative of FFG and a lot of it's rules but it seems to me that force users take a little too much XP between force powers and force rating and many of their specializations are simply force versions of specializations in the other lines. I also don't like that you choose a career which defines you, yes you can get other specializations but take Luke for example. They say her would be an Ace, that fits for the first two movies but it seems like he focuses solely on the Force and being a Jedi after that.

As for Saga Edition, I like its flexibility and that it covers all of the eras at that time it I've seen where some feel the Jedi are overpowered and broken. Also capital ship combat is not really doable with it.

As for the poll, if everyone wants to play FFG I will give it a shot. Otherwise I will likely run Saga Edition.

I was not expecting so much support for Revised Core (d20). I could run that as well. I don't know how to edit the poll to add that as an option though. For those of you interested in it, have you tried Saga Edition? if so, why do you prefer the original d20?

So this poll is to decide which system to use for a game you plan to run? And you have access to whatever system is suggested, not to mention mastery of all pertinent rules and nuances for successfully running any of them to fit whatever story or campaign you have in mind? Methinks there is great disturbance in the Force...

I picked FFG btw.