Weaving Myths: A Myth Weavers Podcast - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Weaving Myths: A Myth Weavers Podcast

Weaving Myths: A Myth Weavers Podcast

A Myth Weavers Podcast

With the advent of the Myth Weavers Discord server, this seemed to be a natural progression. I scheduled a time for us to sit down and talk about some topics, and we ended up talking for almost two hours! At the behest of the people in the Discord channel at the time, we've decided to turn this into a bi-weekly podcast. Below, you'll find all the episodes and relevant links.

If you'd like to help support Weaving Myths beyond listening to the show, you can find our Patreon page here: https://www.patreon.com/mythweavers

If you'd like to tune in Live, join us on the Weaving Myths Twitch Channel: https://www.twitch.tv/weavingmyths

Season 1

Season 1 has come to a close, and all of the episodes for that season can be found in the following spoiler.

Season 2

Season 2 has come to a close, and all of the episodes for that season can be found in the following spoiler.

Season 3

Episode 1
In this episode, Nathan, Ruben, and Colin did a potluck of questions submitted by the Weaving Myths patrons!

Listen to it on Soundcloud here: Click Me!
Watch it on YouTube here: Click Me!

Episode 2
In this episode, the crew talked about player vs character knowledge and common mistakes new PbP users make!

Watch it on YouTube here: Click Me!

Episode 3

Episode 4
In this episode, the crew talked about the one, the only, Dungeons & Dragons!

Listen on Soundcloud here: Click Me!
Watch on YouTube here: Click Me!

Episode 5
In this episode, the crew talked about breaking out of your comfort zone and Tabletop RPG tropes!

Episode 6
In this episode, the crew talked about all things EPIC! Epic stories, epic battles, and epic characters!

Episode 7
In this episode, the crew talked about using images and post templates!

Bonus Content

Bonus Content is usually made possible by our Patrons!

Patrons Episode 1
In this special bonus episode of Weaving Myths, Mordae, Ruben, and Nathan talked about humor games and introducing new players to the hobby!

Listen to it on SoundCloud here: Click Me!

Patron-Only Content

The following content is only available to those who have become patrons of Weaving Myths through Patreon. If you haven't done so already, you can sign up here: https://www.patreon.com/mythweavers

Weaving Myths Does Tabletop Episode 1

Join Mordae as he GMs for Nathan, Ruben, and Colin for the first Weaving Myths Does Tabletop! The gents will be navigating through a roaring 20s steampunk heist set in New York City!

Part 1: Character Creation: Click Me!
Part 2: Gameplay Pt 1: Click Me!
Part 3: Gameplay Pt 2: Click Me!

Future Topics
In the future, we'll be discussing these topics. If you have a suggestion for a topic for us to discuss, feel free to post below and suggest it!
  • Selecting Players & How many players to have
  • Planning a game
  • Running a game
  • Game Abandonment
  • Rescuing Dead Games
  • Leaving/ending a game early
  • Supplemental tools (Mapping tools, etc.)
  • Making a character and writing an application
  • PbP Combat
  • The Game Forum and its power
  • Game Attrition
  • Sandbox Games
  • Solo Games
  • Player archetypes (In progress)
  • Specific game systems
  • Niche Games
  • Game Planning: Gauging Actual vs Stated Interest
  • Game maps: Methods and When to Use
  • The timing of posting a game ad
  • Types of GM/GM Styles
  • Designing dungeons, encounters, challenges
  • Worldbuilding/characterization
  • Ending/gracefully closing a game
  • Co-GMs/SubGMs/Chief Players
  • GM Burnout
  • Boss monsters, big bads, evil villains
  • Raising the stakes (suspense, loss, character death)
  • Uniting the party (reconciling different character/player philosophies)
  • Cinematic gaming
  • Comedy in PbP
  • Horror in PbP
  • Rewards, loot, and progression
  • Creating the Right character
  • Cloak & Dagger vs. Hack n Slash
  • Intrigue, politics, and social combat
  • The different kinds of fantasy, sci fi, etc.
  • Society games (Pathfinder Society, DnD Adventurer’s League, etc)
  • One shot games
  • Recovering from stalled games/injecting life back into a game
  • BBCode Formatting tricks
  • The Golden Box
  • Timed Scenarios in PbP
  • More player archetypes!
  • This article (applicable to MW as well)
  • Keeping it PG-13

It was great to listen to/be a part of if anyone's on the fence about listening. Well hosted and lots of interactivity.

Was that cause of all the name drops you got Though listening to it did make me want to join in, though I'm not sure if I can make the next cast

As a topic suggestion - how about occasionally covering lesser-known systems? Games like Call of Cthulhu, the various Powered by the Apocalypse games, Traveller and other games (to the extent those qualify as "lesser known") have strong followings and good games going here, but it does seem like the communities are smaller, just like they are in real life... maybe picking one of those systems and a representative game or two from time to time would be interesting and introduce people to systems they might not be familiar with. I know I've had a blast trying out some games/systems based largely on a strong pitch from the GM, and I've been happy I did, even when it meant having to learn a new system.

You know, I've always said that if there were to be a podcast on Myth-weavers, it should be called either Mythcaster or Podweavers. Darn it! This is really cool though, and I love the idea.

Anyway, truth be told I've been wanting to be a part of a podcast for the longest time. I'd absolutely love to be a semi-regular in participating as long as times work (being in European time zones often makes this difficult). As a person who has been running live games with voice chat for over 10 years by this point I could provide a lot of perspective to the job. Plus I have, like, opinions and stuff. On many things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMatthys View Post
As a topic suggestion - how about occasionally covering lesser-known systems? Games like Call of Cthulhu, the various Powered by the Apocalypse games, Traveller and other games (to the extent those qualify as "lesser known") have strong followings and good games going here, but it does seem like the communities are smaller, just like they are in real life... maybe picking one of those systems and a representative game or two from time to time would be interesting and introduce people to systems they might not be familiar with. I know I've had a blast trying out some games/systems based largely on a strong pitch from the GM, and I've been happy I did, even when it meant having to learn a new system.
This is a great suggestion. I don't know how many of us are familiar with the more obscure systems, but I know a few and I'm sure Colin would be happy to talk about Stars Without Number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwatford View Post
Just wanted to take a moment and thank Nathan for the shout out in Episode 0.
You're very welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actana View Post
You know, I've always said that if there were to be a podcast on Myth-weavers, it should be called either Mythcaster or Podweavers. Darn it! This is really cool though, and I love the idea.

Anyway, truth be told I've been wanting to be a part of a podcast for the longest time. I'd absolutely love to be a semi-regular in participating as long as times work (being in European time zones often makes this difficult). As a person who has been running live games with voice chat for over 10 years by this point I could provide a lot of perspective to the job. Plus I have, like, opinions and stuff. On many things.
You're welcome to jump into the text chat during the next one and contribute as much as you like!

Time zones are of course the biggest issue, being at least 7 hours ahead of the Americas. But if I have an opportunity to join in on it, I'm certainly going to take it.

Hello everyone! I'm very excited to announce the topics for Episode 1!

In Episode 1, Colin, Alejandro, and I will be discussing the following:
  • The process for selecting players for your game
  • How many players you should select, and if there even is a "should" for that
  • Very briefly how to handle losing players or a GM (This is a big topic, and we'll dedicate an entire segment to it later, but it's inevitable that it would come up)
  • Solo games, the differences between them and a normal game and how you can adapt a campaign for such play

After those, we'll be announcing a Game of the Week! This will be a game that is currently recruiting and looks like it's going to be awesome! Finally, we'll be doing another live Q&A session with the impeccable Text Chat.

If you'd like to participate in the text chat, or listen in live, feel free to join us in the Myth Weavers Discord Server this Saturday, May 27th, at 8:00PM EST!