Calling the Brute Squad!

Old Jun 25 '17, 9:44pm
Killing with Kindness

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Calling the Brute Squad!

Spare Not the Rod - Forum
Pathfinder - Golarion

Spare Not the Rod, nor the Blade

Throughout the city of Belde and across the major Chelish trading hubs and crossroads you find that proclamations have sprouted up on job boards and signposts. Perhaps you were looking for work, curious, or bored. Nevertheless, the grandiose piece of parchment drew your attention:

The Proclamation
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"By the Authority vested in his noble highness Viscount Ravan Aerenix, Governor of Belde and loyal servant of Her Infernal Majestrix, Queen Abrogail II of the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune:

The Hellknight Order of the Rod has been established to return peace and order to the Archduchy of Hellcoast, and to scourge the unlawful traitors of the so called "Glorious Reclaimation" from our lands.

The Order of the Rod now seeks loyal Chelish citizens to serve as Armigers, whose training shall be undertook immediately. Those volunteers will be generously compensated for their service, as well as equipped as appropriate for their station at no cost.

The gracious Viscount offers amnesty and a second chance to those with misdeeds in their past. Honest service to Cheliax is all that is required for entry as an Armiger.

For those interested, contact the Royal Office of Accounts and Tithes in Belde."

"Availability of Armiger positions may be limited. Government of Cheliax is not liable for any injury or death incurred in the service of the Order. This agreement may count as an infernal contact. Terms and conditions may be changed at any time, see attached appendices A-J."
By Writ and Authority of the Royal House of Thrune. Long Live Queen Abrogail II, Long live Cheliax!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Regardless of reason, you find yourself in Belde, signing up. Maybe you're looking to turn over a new leaf, or maybe the sound of "generously compensated" was too much to pass over. Doesn't matter now.

Because now, well, you're a Hellknight.

The Basics: Inception: So I was looking through the Game Planning threads (unusual for me), and caught a glimpse of this thread. It took my interest and here we are, with a game about NPC Hellknights set in good old Cheliax.

General Concept/Game Philosophy: Basically, you'll be playing glorified guards and enforcers, dressed up in Hellknight gear. Think NPC minions of a BBEG. You won't be adventuring or slaying dragons. More cracking heads and enforcing crooked justice. And since your boss is pretty hands off (basically doesn't care what you do so long as the status quo is preserved), you'll have free reign to follow your own ends. Essentially, you'll get missions from time to time, have patrols and such to follow, but otherwise will need to provide your own character motivations. Consider this a semi-sandbox.

Evil: Keep in mind that while your characters may be thuggish jerks, they're not grotesque psychopaths looking to eat puppies or torch orphanages. This is a good game to play a selfish lout who abuses their authority, not murderhobo necromaner lord. Obviously, there is potential for more mature and dark themes in this game, so I expect players to be mature and communicate if they're made uncomfortable. Finally, this site has a PG-13 rating and I wouldn't want to play anything more graphic than that anyway. You're here to punch faces, not reenact horror films.

Setting: This game takes place primarily in the City of Belde, temporary capital of the Archduchy of Hellcoast. Chronologically, the events of this game take place near the end of the Glorious Reclaimation (and therefore the Hell's Vengeance AP). I haven't been able to get a lot of information about Belde, which is exactly what I was hoping for in order to flesh out the city as needed. Generally, Belde is a rather isolated city set on the Maiestas River and sits before the backdrop of the Menador Mountains. The thick boughs of Barrowwood encroach to the east, further contributing to Belde's isolation.

The Plot: The city was briefly captured (for about a month) by agents of the Glorious Reclamation, capitalizing on the absence of Paraduke Marcellus Thurivan while he was engaged in battle with Pezzacki rebels. The furious Paraduke rallied his forces and quickly crushed the Glorious Reclamation's forces. But soon after retaking the city, Marcellus was directed to lead his forces to join the main Chelish Army advancing on Westcrown. Only a token garrison was left behind, under the command of the newly appointed governor Viscount Ravan Aerenix.

Being that the Viscount is a relatively powerful spellcaster and conjuror who regularly treats with outsiders (scandalously rumored to include far more than devils), Ravan Aerenix has little interest in ruling Belde or any involvement in governance. Having a great deal of wealth but lacking personnel, the new governor opted to form his own order of Hellknights to do his bidding and enforce his will. Of course, those who answered the call tended to be more mercenaries and thugs than disciplined warriors, but Ravan's goal is merely to avoid having to waste his time intervening in local politics.

You have joined this newly created Hellknight Order, known as the Order of the Rod. Your reasons are your own, though the power, wealth, and prestige offered are simply unavailable elsewhere for someone of your station. Quickly you recognize how lax your employer is, and that you may very well be able to get away with murder (and a number of other crimes). Technically, the Order of the Rod's Lictor is Saretta Sawtooth, a ferocious hobgoblin sellsword who serves as the Viscount's Bodyguard. But with her duties lying primarily in protecting her master, the operation of the order falls to the slovenly and petty human Paralictor Ceto Arvanaxi. The Order of the Rod has only six Hellknights and a score (20) of armigers, bringing it's total membership to about thirty with a half dozen miscellaneous attendants such as armorers, healers, and the like. Your fortress and headquarters is the old jailhouse, not long before used as the final redoubt of Glorious Reclamation defenders. Now they call the place Citadel Jyre, but you just see it as a crumbling old tower.

The game will begin after your initiation (which was practically a formality) and a week or two into your service as a Hellknight, having given you enough time to get used to your position.

Application Process: Previous Applicants: I've already accepted Rumrummer and fenrirlokison as players, as this was their idea. I'm looking for 2-4 more players.

Please take a look at the . All applications should be post on a new thread in the Application Folder. Before applying, please consult the Character Creation Thread for character creation rules. Any questions should be directed to the Pregame Q&A Thread. Please contain all OOC banter to the Pregame OOC Thread

Game Description:

This is a game about the minor NPC's that an adventuring party faces during an adventure path but otherwise doesn't think twice about. Guards, thugs, enforcers- woman and men motivated by grand aspirations or fiendish influence but by steady payment of coin and the satisfying sound of a cudgel striking an upstart's head. Self centered and perhaps cruel, you lack the ambition or madness that drives true villains. You will not face the dragons and giants who are so commonly felled by or fell adventurers- instead, your life is one of mundanities and occasional violence. Aspirant heroes, troublemakers, and fools- all the same in your book, all in need of a good thrashing. One you'll serve up with a grin.

Can't hurt that you're Hellknights now. Fancy armor, free trudgeon. Better than your last one. Pays better too. Do what you're told and nobody asks what you do on your off time. You're respectable now- funny how the other side of the law isn't so different.

Welcome to the Order of the Rod.

Oh I'm down. *mulling over character concepts* This will be delightful

Ah bummer, Paizo only. I was really interested, but this guy...

Is real hard to do without some Path of War nonsense.

Good luck to da gaem, always happy to see a more evil campaign launch!

Yeahhh... can't see that guy fitting very well into this story. This game is for a completely different sort of shenanigans, he looks like he'd be fun to play though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeswalker817 View Post
Ah bummer, Paizo only. I was really interested, but this guy...

Is real hard to do without some Path of War nonsense.

Good luck to da gaem, always happy to see a more evil campaign launch!
You could make a pyro-kineticist.

I am not allowing Occult adventures, sadly.

I will allow occult adventures in my evil Iron Gods AP, which has been temporarily put on hold while I wrangle up a storm of brutes.

It's actually quite refreshing to see regular martial classes getting some play. The fun bit from another perspective is taking the goons you generally spend time killing as a player and show how that encounter could go if the brute squad used player type tactics.