FFG Announces Genesys, a universal RPG - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

FFG Announces Genesys, a universal RPG

FFG Announces Genesys, a universal RPG

I guess it was only a matter of time.

Quote:
Blast hordes of reanimated skeletons with holy fire, explore new worlds in a steam-powered zeppelin, match wits with alien warlords, or invent your own entirely unique world. Unlimited adventure awaits you in a new roleplaying system limited only by your imagination!

Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce Genesys, a new roleplaying game system compatible with any setting, and featuring the critically acclaimed Narrative Dice System.

The Genesys experience begins with the Genesys Core Rulebook, which features an explanation of the narrative dice system and core mechanics of the game, an overview of five different settings in which to place campaigns, and advice for Game Masters to craft a myriad of adventures with unparalleled freedom.
Personally, I'm extremely interested in this. While I've yet to actually play the FFG Star Wars games, it's mostly due to a lack of Star Wars game ideas I have. With a more generic and universal system I see that changing. Very excited to see what this turns out like. I might prefer more focused setting tools to tune a campaign for a specific feel, but I doubt I'm going to be able to pass on this when it's out, assuming it's any good.

Yeah, I'd give it a shot. Especially if it has all the basics in one core book. No doubt there will be many supplements afterward, but if I can be happy with the one, I'll pay up just to fill the shelf space.

Hmm. From what I've seen, the FF SW RPG is decent, and I wouldn't mind another universal system option that's less crunchy than GURPS. OTOH, I already don't play BESM, Savage Worlds, Fate, ORE, or Cypher nearly as much as I'd like, so do I need another option?

Maybe not, but they do make good looking books . A library isn't a library if you aren't continuously adding books you don't need to it, right?

I'm giving Fate a shot right now so we'll see if this would be just part of my collection or something I actually use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
Hmm. From what I've seen, the FF SW RPG is decent, and I wouldn't mind another universal system option that's less crunchy than GURPS. OTOH, I already don't play BESM, Savage Worlds, Fate, ORE, or Cypher nearly as much as I'd like, so do I need another option?
The main draw of the system would be the dice it uses, which makes it pretty much unique as a system. Outside of the already existing Star Wars games, I don't think there's a system that does dice quite the same way. If there is, I'd like to know about it.

Of course, the narrative dice system isn't for everyone. But for those who do like it, I think having a non-Star Wars specific option is very appealing.

If they make it so that you can buy skills and talents without having to commit to a specific career and just make things progressively more expensive (first Point Blank shot costs 10 xp, second 15 xp etc) so you truly can customize things freely, I'll be very happy. On multiple occasions I've felt like I just wanted to pick a set number of career skills that made sense for my concept because no career had them. I also don't like, neither as a player nor as a DM, how many "defensive slicing" talents you have to traverse to get something proactively useful. Don't find them fun as a player, don't like having to include challenges that doesn't suit the narrative as a DM only to make a player shine. I prefer to make challenges that allows characters to shine that also makes narrative sense.

I also hope they stay away from talents like Greased Palms or Cunning Snare. I hate those. Anyone should be able to try and bribe people or lay traps. If you really need those kinds of talents, make them give boost dice for those types of actions because they're good at it (or increase their damage, or make it harder to detect, or whatever), not lock them behind talents. Same for Hidden Storage, if you have to have it at all make it so that it increases the difficulty for others to find installed hidden compartments that you were involved in making.

Actually now I'm curious if you can pull of a time-traveling party a la Chrono Trigger with this...