Master of Orion as a tabletop RPG? - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Master of Orion as a tabletop RPG?

Master of Orion as a tabletop RPG?

Howdy, folks.

I've only played the first Master of Orion despite owning 1-3 (the first is so awesome I haven't bothered to try the other two), but I was thinking of how epic some of those campaigns were on the higher difficulty levels.

I was thinking it might be cool to run a PbP RPG (not sure what system) with the background determined by the course of one MoO game (the RPG would begin once cloning is researched, I think). Obviously this would require more than a passing thought- I'm short on time now but will probably revisit the idea later.

In the near future I might have enough time to return to the Weave, so a game like this might be a fun way to start out.

Any of y'all have thoughts on the pros/cons of using one game to generate the backstory for another?

Are you going to play the MOO out to victory and then generate your background? Or take game events as updates to your world backstory?

What will you do when PC actions invariably upset what played out in the game?

Quote:
Any of y'all have thoughts on the pros/cons of using one game to generate the backstory for another?
I've been known to use Dwarf Fortress for this very thing. Is entertaining. I'm kinda hoping for the PCs to stumble across one of the forts one of these days.

The biggest problem (aside genre) is *keeping track of all that information*. To say nothing of the fact that, especially for 4x games... there ultimately isn't much of interest generated in the first place. The mechanics are there to keep the games "balanced", not "realistic" (well, except Dwarf Fortress)... and it's not like you have a huge number of alien personalities, each distinct and interacting with one another in complex enough ways to build a backstory for your world (except... yeah, you already know).

So ultimately, how's a MoO game going to provide more information than "Generic Space Empire #8,142,230,465"?

MOO 2 is hands down the best in my opinion. Three gets far too micro-managey for my tastes.

For systems, something like Microscope might work - at its core it provides structure for what is essentially a roundtable setting-building session. However, it'd probably require all the participants to be familiar enough with MoO to prevent too much deviation.

Quote:
Are you going to play the MOO out to victory and then generate your background? Or take game events as updates to your world backstory?
I'd use game events to set the initial backstory. Cloning would have to be available, but the "starting snapshot" would have to take place before any race gets wiped out or any particular tech comes to totally dominate ship-to-ship combat (High Energy Focus, I'm looking at you).

Unless the PbP campaign spans a year or more of in-game time, game updates would be a non-issue. Even so, unless the PCs are spies or counterintelligence agents, their ability to affect planetary events would probably be limited by the sheer scale of things.

Quote:
What will you do when PC actions invariably upset what played out in the game?
Since the game would begin at a fixed point in that MOO's timeline and then diverge from there, the PCs would effectively exist in an alternate universe. Schrodinger's Mrrshan, if you will. Any further events from the MOO, if applicable, could simply be translated to their nearest equivalent in the PbP game.

Quote:
So ultimately, how's a MoO game going to provide more information than "Generic Space Empire #8,142,230,465"?
It wouldn't do much other than speeding the galaxy-creation process, especially with regards to those surprise political backstabs. If first contact between two species only happened a hundred years or so prior to the game beginning, PCs might even be able to find a few old-timers that were there when it happened.

That latest one does simplify things down tremendously, for better or worse.
MOO has some interesting races that you could use for RPG.

Depends on when you set it up, but I'd probably use something like Eclipse Phase or Mindjammer Traveller. Simply because most of the tech should be there already, instead of having me make things up.
What I wonder is, would you try to tie things back with the MOO game?

I've always liked the freedom that Sci-fi genre gives in terms of technology.