Chasing the Rumor of Apocalypse

Old Oct 4 '17, 2:16am
Captain of the Virtuous Noobs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Chasing the Rumor of Apocalypse

Darkness Falls - Forum
Pathfinder - Golarion

Darkness Falls

You have been drawn here from disparate parts of Avistan, perhaps even from Ustalav itself, drawn to one particular town called Vaurn. It's a diminutive cluster of structures, pressed against the edge of the vast Shudderwood. The town acts primarily as a service center for the logging camps that surround it, but is also the lifeline to a monastery that squats in the depths of the forest.

As you arrive, you notice things about the populace. They have a collective gauntness about them, as though taken by a wasting sickness, yet go about their daily lives as though entirely healthy. They do not seem otherwise unusual, and there are no other signs of disease nor famine.

What drew you here was, in part, a rumor. Supposedly, the people here have been telling travelers who pass through that the monks in that hidden monastery are not merely isolationists. They are guarding something. The people of the village believe (as collected from scraps and snippets spread across generations of loose-lipped monks) that what the monks watch over is the hidden knowledge of a coming apocalypse, buried in the catacombs beneath the forest monastery alongside the bodies of their forebears.

You arrive to find truth in at least the reported progenitors of this rumour. The villagers, as if sensing your intentions, tell you of the monastery and of the secret they believe sleeps within. The eagerness with which they speak of these supposedly dire secrets is almost surprising.

The second thing that drew you to this tiny town in the north is that the world has become a turbulent place, politically unstable and riven with strife. That turbulence spreads far beyond this rundown little town and, indeed, far beyond merely Ustalav. Doomsayers walk the streets, proclaiming a dozen different apocalypses in a thousand different doctrines, while a dark and unknowable thing gathers beyond the horizon. Something is about to happen, that much is certain. Every living thing can feel it pressing on their skull, even if they do not know the what, the when, or the where.

It is in times like these that people start paying attention to small-town rumors, and to prophecy.
Closing Time: Tuesday, October 17 at 12:00am EST.
Accepting: 1-3 Players

Starting Level: 3
Ability Generation: 20pt Buy
Alignment: Nonevil
Races: Most Anything
Classes: All Paizo
3rd Party: Available Upon Request and Review
Traits: Two, Drawback for a Third

A more detailed rundown can be found in the Character Creation Thread. And an application format has been provided.

Do not PM me with questions; use this thread or the allocated space within the forum.
Hello, Myth-Weavers.

Some of you may know me from around the site and many of you probably do not. Either way, welcome, and I'm glad you stopped by. I'm fairly familiar with Pathfinder, often as a Player, occasionally as a DM. Darkness Falls came about as a result of a friend of mine poking me to run a game and things rather spiraled and mashed together until we ended up here. So, I will be running this and AdellRazh will be playing a part somewhere between Co-DM and player.

Now, for some housekeeping... As a DM, I do tend to err more to the side of what makes a good story or what makes narrative sense over the strict mechanical say-so. I won't mention ammo tracking if you don't, guys. That means I’ll be more interested in a good concept and a good story, rather than a minmaxed super-PC. Give me those things to work with and I'll be thrilled to bits.

The game itself is likely to focus more on story than combat. Combat will exist and you'll likely get dragged into it, but this isn't going to be any sort of dungeon crawl of endless monsters. I tend towards more serious tones, though a little levity is rarely entirely out of place.

Anyway, feel free to poke about and ask if you have any questions.

Looking forward to your apps,

-Ash

Game Description:

"I'd steer clear of that ramshackle mess. I doubt it's like they say. Don't think all the world's ills could come from that little hole in the wall. But still... there's something not right about Vaurn. Something that makes the skin crawl. If you were smart, you'd stay away and just keep your head down, wait for all this to blow over."

Last edited by Ashir; Oct 4 '17 at 10:17am..
The kind of dark mystery that this game hints at is enticing. Color me interested.

Eyyyyyy.

Obligatory question I always have to ask whenever someone says "no minmax": Can we minmax for character purposes? As a cheap example, having plainly abysmal Constitution on a character to represent exceptional frailty developed from, I dunno, an accident in their early life? (Though to be fair, I don't think people usually toss Constitution in the minimum side...)

Edit: Oh heckie I've got a kobold concept that might work here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Text View Post
Eyyyyyy.

Obligatory question I always have to ask whenever someone says "no minmax": Can we minmax for character purposes? As a cheap example, having plainly abysmal Constitution on a character to represent exceptional frailty developed from, I dunno, an accident in their early life? (Though to be fair, I don't think people usually toss Constitution in the minimum side...)

Edit: Oh heckie I've got a kobold concept that might work here.
No one has ever minmaxed and dumped Constitution.

You're free to do whatever makes mechanical sense for the character. The statement is more to ward off people exploiting absurd rule edge cases to annihilate worlds.

So glad to not see 'gestalt' mentioned anywhere. It's not a bad thing but I can't really do that myself and it's always a turn-off. I'm kind of a rookie player of PF in the way that every game of anything I've ever played online except the ones I GM myself all die early and mysterious deaths... but with that said, I'm interested and will start to ponder a good character for your yarn. Post frequency/expectation is always an important item to address though - is there one?

Howdy Ashir! Long time no see! I will likely throw my hat into the ring in the coming days.

I would just love to be a part of this if you would be happy considering someone fairly new to the site? I've always loved games that favour story and interactions over mechanics and you've fallen just the right side of dark to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWS2K View Post
So glad to not see 'gestalt' mentioned anywhere. It's not a bad thing but I can't really do that myself and it's always a turn-off. I'm kind of a rookie player of PF in the way that every game of anything I've ever played online except the ones I GM myself all die early and mysterious deaths... but with that said, I'm interested and will start to ponder a good character for your yarn. Post frequency/expectation is always an important item to address though - is there one?
I admit, I haven't ad'd or applied for a PF game in a while. Have gestalt PF games become that common? I think they're neat enough with the right premise for why you've got all that power, but not quite what I'm going for here.

Anyways, I'd actually not even thought to address post frequency. Which I suppose suggests well enough that there isn't one, really. Twice or thrice a week would be nice and will be what I aim for, I think. But I'm also not super hardcore on it; I'm not going to boot anyone for missing a "post deadline" every now and again. I prefer giving everyone a chance to get a word in edgewise (and for players to do the same, rather than two people going off and rushing forward without everyone else), without letting things lag. And I will, as DM, post when the party requires some pertinent info, when they have indicated they want to move on/need an NPC reply, or to give it a poke if the party's lagging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Elf View Post
Howdy Ashir! Long time no see! I will likely throw my hat into the ring in the coming days.
Hoy, Shadow! Good to see you and I'm looking forward to your app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
I would just love to be a part of this if you would be happy considering someone fairly new to the site? I've always loved games that favour story and interactions over mechanics and you've fallen just the right side of dark to me
Sure. Just gimme a good character concept with a story I can work with and I'm happy~

Shameless bump to the thread~ Still about a week and a half to get an app in.