Notices

Welcome to the Chaos Scar

Old Nov 3 '17, 4:43pm
an arbitrary number of geeky sides

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Welcome to the Chaos Scar

Restwell Keep - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 4e - Points of Light

Our massive adventure is currently underway, investigating the mysteries of the Chaos Scar, but some adventurers have gotten in over their heads! We are looking for two characters to come to the rescue and fill the roles of one leader and one controller. Character creation rules and submission guidelines can be found below or in the game forum.

Game Description:

Long ago, a dark power traveled through the space between worlds, intent on finding world upon which to wreak havoc. After seeding countless wars on many worlds, it found a new world to ruin. There it crash-landed, embedding itself deep in the ground and carving a valley-sized furrow in its wake. Patient beyond mortal comprehension, it began to sow the seeds of evil and reach out to those of a perverse and corruptible bent.

The Chaos Scar

The Chaos Scar is a long, wide valley carved long ago by the fall of a massive meteor. As the giant rock passed overhead, milk curdled, livestock fell over dead, and ill fortune befell all. The meteor crashed into the earth with deafening force, and red radiance lit the sky for a week. Then it vanished.

The meteor had carved its massive gash in a dark and wild place between points of civilization. Where once had stood a wild forest and swamp between a line of small hills was this new valley—the Chaos Scar.

Over a mile long and several hundred feet deep, the Chaos Scar is a testament to the vast power of the meteor’s impact. As it carved its path through the earth, shards and fragments of the meteor tore away until only its heart remained, embedded in an escarpment at the far end of its new home. There, it sent out its call. Over the centuries, creatures of evil spirit have been drawn to this beacon. The meteor's dark sentience spurred competition among them so that they fought with one another. The weak were killed or pushed to the edges of the meteor’s influence, while the strong and cruel rose to the top of the pecking order.

Some cities have tried to hem in the threat of the Chaos Scar, with little to no success. A long-forgotten ruler who fancied himself a king erected a wall across the valley’s mouth long ago. It still stands, partly in ruins, its gates open and unguarded. Towers that once ringed the valley have fallen to ruin as well. Some are inhabited by monsters; others are simply empty.

The Chaos Scar itself is death to most who wander in. It is filled with evil and riddled with caves both natural and tunneled by generations of monstrous denizens. The deeper one travels into the valley, the deadlier the foes lurking in its caves and hollows. Strange features have been raised, or have simply appeared, within the Scar—circles of standing stones, bizarre towers, grotesque cottages, and other more otherworldly features. Capping off the valley is the fortress of Hallowgaunt, home to the mysterious Brotherhood of the Scar, crowned by a perpetual storm of black clouds and crackling lightning.

Many adventurers have entered the Chaos Scar. Few have returned. Those that do weave dark stories of monsters working in concert as never before. Others tell of monstrous creatures working against one another.

Welcome to the Chaos Scar.

Here and there, standing on the narrow edge between civilization and the hungry dark, stand a few bastions of justice and law.

Restwell Keep

Restwell Keep, so named by its current inhabitants, is one such edifice. Founded ages ago by a long forgotten lord, Restwell has kept a sentinel’s post over the Chaos Scar for time out of mind. It has served as a hobgoblin warlord’s fortress, a bandit gang’s hideout, and now as an outpost of civilization in a monster-infested wilderness.

All sorts pass through the keep. Some guards, merchants, and tradesmen call it their home, at least for a time; other travelers and adventurers pass through on their way to other outposts, or occasionally venture into the Scar itself.

You are a fledgling adventurer in Restwell Keep. Perhaps you grew up in the keep, the child of a soldier, ready to look for work and put your training to use. Perhaps you are an apprentice of a Varuun mage, tasked with collecting a rare specimen for study. Maybe you just arrived on a caravan, an acolyte of Sehanine seeking the guidance of the keep's own itinerant friar. Whatever your reasons, even if you may not know it yet, you are about to undertake a grand and perilous adventure.

Playing the Game

Restwell Keep is a 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons adventure game, designed to take a number of players from level 1 through level 10, and beyond. Depending on the number of quality applications the game receives, we may run multiple parties in parallel through a quasi-sandbox, "choose your own adventure" type of living story. We will be exploring and uncovering the secrets of the Chaos Scar and the stronghold that overlooks it.

4e is a great system with a lot to offer, so if you are a veteran player with an itch to get back into it, a new player who has never tried it, a 3e veteran who never owned any of the 4e books but would like to try it out, feel free to apply! I'm accepting players of all experience and skill levels, and there are ways to try it out even if you do not have any of the source materials (more details in the character creation instructions).

The game will be a good fit for players that are steady but not hyperactive, with an expected post rate of 1-2 per week per player.

If this type of game interests you, read on!

The Application Process

So, you want to join our epic adventure? Check out the game forum for information about the game, the setting, and the character creation and application process.

To apply, create a new thread in the Characters folder for your character.
Use the "Application WIP" tag for a submission that is being worked on, and "Application Completed" when you are ready to finalize it.

Thoughts, suggestions, questions, or just want to hang out? Come to the tavern, or post right in this advertisement thread.

Useful Links:
Game Forum

Character Creation Guidelines
Application Format

Game Information
Setting Information

Last edited by geekahedron; Nov 3 '17 at 7:31pm..
I've been missing 4E lately! I'm not a huge fan of level 1, but Themes help a lot. As long as the game's not super combat heavy, I'm in. I'll see what I can work up.

edit: I've got a couple of fun Eladrin Warlock concepts--one is a foppish fey noble who's come down to the Material Plane for some fun and excitement and to play at being a hero--his abilities are the equivalent of spoiled-rich-kid toys. When he "levels up", he's just getting his allowance from his Great-Great-Great-Great-Grand-Aunt, the Archfey of Winter (or whatever).

The other is based on the Feyliege epic destiny: Since the once-a-day-when-you-die ability is called "Eternal King on an Eternal Throne", I figure his pact patron could be... his future self.

edit: just saw the leader/controller requirements--I'll work some concepts up.
son of edit: what's the party composition like right now?

Fourth Edition, my love, my life, how I art missed thee! Can make controller or leader, my favorite roles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekahedron View Post
Our massive adventure is currently underway, investigating the mysteries of the Chaos Scar, but some adventurers have gotten in over their heads!
Wait, have you already killed a couple of characters off? D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dybrar View Post
Wait, have you already killed a couple of characters off? D:
Well, more like a couple of players have wandered off, but let's call it poetic license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekahedron View Post
Well, more like a couple of players have wandered off, but let's call it poetic license.
Oh, phew. No genuine deaths, then! That's a relief.

Working up a Bard out for glory and self-aggrandizement.

Edit: since leader is the order of the day.

Will work on a human cleric.

It's about time someone kicks this evil off the planet.