Old Apr 17 '18, 6:17pm
DM

Mentioned: 544 Post(s)
In Search of the Unknown

In Search of the Unknown - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

IN SEARCH OF THE UNKNOWN

The Borderlands.
An untamed wild region far flung from the comforts and protection of civilization.

Return back to the days of adventure that began decades ago.

A lone fortified Keep is the only bastion of Good desperately striving to maintain the forces of Chaos at bay. But Evil is everywhere, lurking in dark caves, fetid swamps, and forlorn forests. Bands of cutthroat brigands and ruthless tribes of humanoids eager to clash with the forces of Good rove the region. The Borderlands hold many secret wondrous locations, and the opportunities for fame, prestige, and fortune are plentiful. But equally abundant are the perils, risks, and challenges to those brave enough to explore the wilds.

Sharpen your swords and axes. Purchase your iron rations and tinderboxes. And don’t forget at least one 10-foot pole. Adventure awaits those with the mettle to go in search of the unknown!

The Basics

Rules System: D&D 5e
Theme: Original Adventures Reincarnated
Starting Level: 1

Flavor: It came in the box with the 1st game of D&D I ever owned. It’s iconic and widely adored, the module, written by Gary Gygax in 1980 and designed to introduce players and GMs to the game. The Keep on the Borderlands is likely the adventure that most home brewed adventures aspired to be in the 1980’s and certainly still informs many of the modules written today. Original D&D updated to 5e.

Plot Hook:

Rogahn the Fearless and Zelligar the Unknown are legendary names. Even you, a young fledgling in a town far from the great cities of your world, know of their reputation—even though their tale begins long before you were born. The elders and the sages speak both names with respect, even awe, in a distant admiration for the memories of the two legendary figures . . .

You have heard parts of the story before, but never enough to know all of it, or even what is true and what is only legend or speculation. But it is a great and fascinating beginning in your own quest to learn more.

Rogahn the Fearless earned his name as a great warrior, and his reputation spread far and wide across the land. Zelligar the Unknown, equally renowned, earned his respected status and power as a foremost practitioner of the mystical arts of magic and sorcery.

No one knows what occurrences or coincidence brought these two men together, but tales tell of their meeting and forming a strong bond of friendship, a union that would last for the ages. As this occurred, legend has it, the two men virtually disappeared from the view of civilization. Stories occasionally surfaced about a rumored hideaway being built deep in the wilderness, far from the nearest settlement, away from traveled routes, and high upon a craggy hill—but no one seemed to know any more than that, or where this supposed hideaway really was located, if indeed it was. No one knows for sure, but some say their motive was to pursue the common goals of personal greed and some kind of vague (or chaotic) evil. In any case, they jointly led a hermit life with but a few occasional forays into the outside world to add to their own reputations.

Many years passed, until one day a great barbarian invasion came from the lands to the north, threatening to engulf the entire land with the savage excesses of the unchecked alien horde. Just when things seemed the darkest, Rogahn the Fearless and Zelligar the Unknown made their unexpected yet most welcome reappearance. Joining their powerful forces, they and their band of loyal henchmen met the barbarian army in a great battle at a narrow pass in the hills, and decisively turned back the invasion. Rogahn slew a horde of barbarians single-handedly and Zelligar's powerful magic put their army to fight. It was a great victory, and a grateful populace rewarded the pair and their consorts with considerable treasure. After that, the two heroes returned to their mystical hideaway, and rumor has it that the spoils of victory were spent to further its construction, although some of it may yet be hidden somewhere.

The most exciting portions of the legend are the most recent. Some years ago, perhaps in the decade before you were born, Rogahn and Zelligar apparently decided upon a joint foray into the lands of the hated barbarians. Taking most of their henchmen and associates along with them in a great armed band, the two personages, it seems, disappeared into the forbidding alien lands to the north on a great adventure which some say may have been asked by the very gods themselves.

Word just reaching civilization tells of some great battle in the barbarian lands where the legendary Rogahn and Zelligar have met their demise. This rumored clash must have occurred some years ago, and there are few details—and no substantiation of the story. The only thing certain is that, if all this is true, Rogahn and Zelligar have been gone far too long . . . if only one had the knowledge and wherewithal to find their hideaway, he or she would have great things to explore!

Now, just recently, came the most promising bit of information— a crude map purporting to show the way to the hideaway of the two men, a place apparently called "Q." You or one of your acquaintances has this map, and if it is accurate, it could perhaps lead you to the mystical place that was their home and sanctuary. Who knows what riches of wealth and magic might be there for the taking??? Yes, the risk is great, but the challenge cannot be ignored. Gathering a few of your fellows, you share the secret and embark on an adventure in search of the unknown .

Adventure Summary: Old school dungeon crawling and exploration at its best.

GM Info: Hi there! It's Billy Watford. I’ve been GMing (DMing, Storytelling, what have you) for these last 30+ years (Or is it 32?), and gaming a touch longer. I’ve run what feels like hundreds of adventures via Paizo, WotC, TSR over the years and have currently many games running here on Myth-Weavers. While I do have multiple more campaigns running on other forums it seems that I do like the forums here the best.

My GMing style focuses more on what makes a good story, and less on things like exploiting the loopholes in rules to their fullest. I like characters that are cards to begin with, but I LOVE characters that develop over the course of a game. Don’t make me deal with two-dimensional characters that have one annoying trait they exploit over and over, and I won’t have to make a tarrasque show up. Deal? Deal.

What kind of player am I NOT looking for?
Power Gamers (not sorry) and rules lawyers (really not sorry).

What kind of players AM I looking for?
Ooh, this one is good. I am not really looking for players at all. I am looking for a cast of characters. I’m looking for someone who’s committed to not only a good plot progression (characters or players that stifle the plot make me want to scream), but character development. I want to see your character grow into their role. I want to see selfish street rat become swashbuckling hero! I want to see bored pencil-pushing acolyte become punishing wrath of an angry god! LET’S DO THIS.

I’m also looking for people who can follow basic rules of grammar. That being said, I can be pretty lenient about mistakes. BUT...for the love of god, in a system like this, where you can edit minutes, days, weeks later...take a little pride.

Character Building

No character may be of any evil alignment. Please read below:

Available Books: All WotC Hardcovers (PHB, Sword Coast, Volo's, etc.). I will be using the PHB + 1 rule, which means you can use anything in the PHB plus one supplement of your choice.

Alignment Requirement: Any none evil.

Starting Equipment: You gain starting equipment from your class and background as usual, except the equipment pack is replaced with the following that is appropriate to your class:

Backpack A
Barbarians, Fighters, Paladins, Rangers

Hammer w/ 10 pitons
Torches (10)
Tinderbox
Rations (10 days)
Waterskin (full)
Hempen rope (50 ft.)
Bedroll
Iron spikes (10)
Whetstone
Sacks (2)
Pouches (2)
Fishing tackle

Backpack B
Bards, Rogues

Candles (5)
Crowbar
Lantern
3 x oil
Rations (5 days)
Tinderbox
Waterskin (full)
Chalk (4 pieces)
Average lock w/ key
Caltrops (20)
Bedroll
Silk rope (50 ft.)
Sacks (2)

Backpack C
Sorcerers, Warlocks, Wizards

Ink
3 x quills
Parchment (10 sheets)
Book (blank)
Glass bottles (2)
Candles (10)
Tinderbox
Mirror
Spell component pouch
Arcane Focus
Rations (5 days)
Bedroll
Blanket
Waterskin (full)
Spellbook (Wizards Only)

Backpack D
Clerics, Druids, Monks

Candles (10)
Tinderbox
2 x Blankets
Bedroll
2 x Holy water
Holy symbol / Druidic focus
Prayer book
Waterskin (full)
Incense (4 blocks)
3 x Pouches
Rations (5 days)

Ability Scores: 1st level, ability scores can be generated using the static array or the 27 point buy as featured in the PHB.

Applications to the Game

Character Submissions: I’ve got a little outline I’d like everyone to follow for submitting a character. You will also need to start a thread in the Applications Folder for your submission. If you have any questions about my rules for character building, any thoughts about character backgrounds, or to request that I review your character then you can do so below.

Technical Stuff

Application Deadline: Saturday MAY 12, 2018 at midnight CST

Post Requirements: Minimum posting rate of one post, Monday - Friday

Party Size: Looking for 3 - 8 players.

Other Requirements:
- I want players who give detailed and interesting posts. Not one-liners and blocks of speech text. The rule of three applies here. What is your character thinking, doing and saying.

- Expect your actions to have consequences. Don't be stupid. Play smart. If I give you lots of hints that opening the box will unleash fiery death. Don't open the box and expect to live.

- I'm a story teller, the rule of cool applies. If it's cool, cinematic and epic, screw the rules- I'll probably allow it. If this grates against your rules lawyer soul...we are not meant to play together.

- Unless I tell you otherwise...assume you can play with the scenery to help craft the story.

Questions/Clarifications:

Can I play if I've played part of the Adventure, but not all of it?
Sure, this one changes each time you play, so jump on in.

Can I submit more than one character?
No. I'm going to go ahead and limit it to one character submission per person. That being said, feel free to change your character concept as much as you want between now and the close date!

Final DM Note

I know the above is a very, very lengthy process to go through to apply for a online pbp game. I also know that some of you will be turned off by it. Some of you will cringe, but others will pour their heart and soul into their character and create something absolutely beautiful. When I have used this process before in the past it has given me the best roleplayers I have ever seen in a game and also the most committed group of players that are still going strong after two years of play. If you are looking for a quick game of fun and just want to slash up some bad guys and do your thing then this campaign is not for you. If you are looking for more.... then look no further than "Rise of the Runelords".

I am really open for new players and new Myth-Weavers for this one, as it was originally designed as a introductory adventure.

Please do not hesitate to PM me, call me out on something, disagree with me, ask questions, bite your thumb at me, or anything else you need to do for me to get your application. I don't bite.

I look forward to your applications and good luck!

Where does this campaign start?
This campaign starts exactly where the original campaign started in the red box of the basic D&D set did in 1979. A simple plot hook to get things rolling. Of course their base of operations is the infamous Keep on the Borderlands.

What quest do the characters start out with?
None, there is nothing that the characters need to do or have to do to progress a plot that is non-existent. This is the ultimate sandbox for players. They start out with a map with a "x" marks the spot where some legendary adventurers may or may not have had a hideout. On that same map is unexplored areas and wilderness. There is also a "help wanted" board at the inn that will have flyers/posters for people looking for adventurers to do their thing. Do they want to chase the x? Do they want to go off to some random spot on the map and explore? To they want to take a job from the help wanted board? Or do they want to travel to another town/city/village/hamlet on the map? The key is they are not restricted and can do whatever they want.

Is this a adventure path?
Not in the modern sense. There is no save the world, save the city, type of goal here. There is no railroad tracks, nothing that says that they must continue down this road to get to point B and then C, etc. They can start doing something that they want to do, stop in the middle of it, change direction. Whatever. There is no limit as to what they can do.

What will the characters be doing at 3rd level?
i don't have a clue, that hasn't been decided or written yet. The story is about the characters and they haven't told me what they are going to be doing at third level. I am just the referee, storyteller, narrator, whatever.... the story is about them.

But isn't the module, story written for them to do a certain thing?
So, we can change it, we can write new material, we can trailblaze, hexcrawl, or tavern brawl. Again the story is about the characters, so we need to ask them. A story arc doesn't have to be completed if they don't want to complete it. Just like in real life sometimes we want to do something else. No one says we have to save the town from goblins, well maybe. If they pay enough. lol.

So if there is no overall, long ranging plot then what makes this campaign unique?
No matter what the characters do, one thing will remain the same. This campaign is an homage to adventures of decades past, so everything will retain a classic feel of adventure with the monsters you know and the traps, puzzles and treasure you love.

Now, what do you mean by "classic feel"?
Now I will say this. I adore, I mean truly love 1st edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons play style. I think Gygax’s work is absolutely fantastic, I love the light hearted adventure and the player centric concepts of dungeon delving, for me D&D IS going into dungeons, killing monsters and taking their treasure. Is that simplistic? Is it really role-playing? Hell I have no idea, I just know that it’s absolutely fun and I love doing it in the confines of the many restrictions and funny concepts of 1st edition. I love 1st edition modules, I love its deadly nature, I adore the natural progression of meta characters from farmers with a rusty dagger to Lords of Castles and everything in between. I love watching beloved characters getting killed, I love creating new characters, I love everything about the system. I am, without a doubt an Old School gamer.

So if you like classic D&D then why use 5e?
5e has that same simplistic feel while appealing to the classic and modern player alike, and while I love some deadly 1st edition dungeon diving, it did have its limitations that have been corrected over the years as the game evolved, 3rd edition was the height of trying to take the game into a more realistic approach but over complicated the mechanics, 4e went to far into the CRPG style and now 5th edition has went back to the classic feel of rules light, easy to play, and "easy to teach" which has brought an entire new generation of people to the table.

Where do you see the campaign ending?
As long as we have players, I will make sure they have plenty of choices of things to do. Be it level 1 or level 20. The campaign is the story about the characters, so if the player still wants to play that character then their story is not finished so thus the campaign is not over. So what will we do at level 20? Don't ask me, ask the character, again I am just here to referee. Maybe by then he will be running the dungeon and I will be running a party of adventurers trying to infiltrate it. You never know. lol.

Game Description:

A lone fortified Keep is the only bastion of Good desperately striving to maintain the forces of Chaos at bay. But Evil is everywhere, lurking in dark caves, fetid swamps, and forlorn forests. Bands of cutthroat brigands and ruthless tribes of humanoids eager to clash with the forces of Good rove the region. The Borderlands hold many secret wondrous locations, and the opportunities for fame, prestige, and fortune are plentiful. But equally abundant are the perils, risks, and challenges to those brave enough to explore the wilds.

Sharpen your swords and axes. Purchase your iron rations and tinderboxes. And donít forget at least one 10-foot pole. Adventure awaits those with the mettle to go in search of the unknown!

Last edited by bwatford; Apr 20 '18 at 6:43am..
Very nice and well established looking Game Ad. I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm toying with the idea of applying. It's just a question of time on my end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Very nice and well established looking Game Ad. I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm toying with the idea of applying. It's just a question of time on my end.
We would love to have you apply. This is definitely going to be a call back to the early beginnings of D&D and the classic dungeon crawl. I believe B1 was the 3rd module that was printed by TSR and a favored classic. Goodman Games did an excellent job of updating it to 5e, of course they have always been about that classic d&d feel so this was right up their alley.

Its kind of interesting. That the older Basic Modules or Advanced Modules (I think that was 2nd edition's terms) are way better stories then anything new or remastered. Curse of Strahd is fun but it's basically the same story told for the 5th time.

And the kicker is I still think 1st and 2nd edition are poorly written systems with non-fun game mechanics.

This seems really cool! I've never played any of these modules, and I think our gaming preferences are aligned. I will work on an application!

Oh yes! I just got the Goodman Games edition of this and have been wanting to play it. I started with these very modules with the Basic Red Box when I was a maybe nine, back in 1983. Expect an application from me, sir.

Just to be clear for everyone as it has come up already multiple times.

This game will go past the original module levels of 1-3 and branch out into other classic adventures in the Borderlands region. As long as we have players there will be rumors of adventure and postings on the inn board for the group to decide on which jobs to take and which rumors to follow up on. etc.

The only rule is whatever we do, it will have that classic old school feel, with the modern 5e ruleset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengiel View Post
If there are slots yet, Im interested to check this out. Gonna make a app if thats the case.
We will be taking application up until the deadline (Saturday, May 12th at midnight CST) and then I will be picking the players applications that I like to be in the game on that following Sunday.