Eberron - Urban Adventures in Sharn

Old Apr 28 '18, 1:42pm
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Eberron - Urban Adventures in Sharn

Fallen Angel: Eberron - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

Game Description:

The Hook"Welcome to my humble office," said the dapper gentleman with night-black hair. The office was anything but. The polished wood floor shone in the light from the everbright chandelier, a little too large for the room and hanging low enough for a tall man to bump is head. The chair where the gentleman sat, was exquisitely carved and adequately stuffed. It looked far more comfortable than the simple wooden one that waited for your arse, on the opposite side of the paper strewn desk. The contrast left no doubt as to who had the most money, taste and indeed vanity.

Victor Saint-Demain wore a diamond studded waistcoat and a cravat that matched his silver white silk gloves. In one gloved hand he held a glass of claret, which he raised up to the light to scrutinise before taking a sip.

"Ah," he said with a smile. "A fine vintage from a boutique estate near Bluevine. You can taste the soil. Forget artificers, viniculturists are the real magicians. Help yourself," he said, gesturing to the bottle and a second glass, which stood on the desk. "And take a seat."

He took another sip, a look of ecstasy on his face. "So you would you like to work for the best inquisitive in all of Khorvaire?" he said. "Why should I employ you?"

The PremiseThe year is 998 YK, two years after the Treaty of Thronehold. War is over but a cold one still smoulders as the five nations jockey for influence. For ordinary folk, life goes on. Some find it harder than others. You have come to Sharn, for better or worse, to seek your fortune. Tales of the City of Towers reached your ears, so full of optimism and hope, you set out to see it with your eyes.

It's not quite what you hoped. In this bustling melting pot, nothing comes for free. You have to pay for everything and Flame forgive if you don't tip. With no reputation, no contacts, you can't find work. You've applied for every job there is, but every time some other bastard had more experience or was prepared to do it for lower pay. You're quickly running out of money but you haven't quite lost faith yet. You're sure, all you need is one lucky break and everything will come together. You scrunch the slip of paper into a tight ball in your fist as you climb the steps to what is probably your last interview in this city, no matter the outcome.

"If you possess a strong sense of justice..." the advertisement said. "A desire for the greater good... If you want to work tirelessly to make Sharn a safer place... And have a have strong stomach... Don't blanch at the sight of blood... If you want to help put the Master back in Inquisitive... Then you might be exactly who I'm looking for.

"I, the extraordinarily talented Victor Saint-Demain, am looking to expand my business and need like-minded individuals to help realize my vision. If you think you have what it takes, contact me through your closest Sivis message station. Experience not required."

The ExplanationI'm looking to run a series of urban adventures in Sharn, based loosely around the adventures in Dungeon Magazine #117-#151, starting with Fallen Angel. If you're familiar with any of these modules, please let me know in your application, but don't let it prevent you from applying.

Don't worry, you will not be (lightning) railroaded into keeping to the modules' plots. Your actions will influence what happens in the future. And there is flexibility for taking the campaign out of Sharn, depending on what the players want to do.

Character CreationLevel:1st (6 slots open)
Sources: PHB, Eberron for Warforged, Kalashtar and Artificer, Dragon Marked Feats. Unearthed Arcana for Changeling and Shifter, Artificer, Mystic and Revised Ranger. Volo's for Bugbear, Hobgoblin, Goblin or Orc. Xanathar's for racial feats.
Note The same goes for monstrous races as for aberrant dragon marks. If you like the notion of role-playing someone who is going to be an outcast and feared for who they are, go ahead. But if you just want to try a bunch of character traits you haven't tried before, think again.

Backgrounds can be chosen from here
Note A well-developed flaw is an important part of character creation. A DnD character without flaws is a Mary Sue. Not all flaws are created equal, so be sure to choose one, or several, that's real. And be prepared to make it a significant part of your character.

Ability Score: Standard array or Point Buy (27)
Gear: As per starting equipment in the PHB.
Feats: Yes. You don’t get one at character creation unless it says you do in the race description.
Alignment: The tone of this game will be noir, pulp action. I will be disappointed if there isn't some conflict regarding moral choices. However I'm going to say, "No evil characters!"

Note Characterisation comes before build. Optimisation will not win you any favours.

Rewards and ExperienceI will not be awarding experience for encounters. Instead you will simply level after every adventure. Even though some adventures will inevitably be longer than others, this means levelling should be reasonably fast.

Awards within adventures will be in the form of Inspiration and Action Points. You will start with none of these and gain them through good roleplay. You will be able to carry a maximum of 5 action points to your next level. Note that action points will be lost for meta-gaming.

Application ProcessI would simply like you to describe your interview with Victor Saint-Demain.
Make sure to include:
  • Where you're from
  • Why you've come to Sharn
  • The difficulties you've had since you arrived
  • What you look like
  • Your mannerisms and personality
  • And don't forget to convince Victor you're the man/woman for the job

NoteNot all this has to be spoken aloud, you can do some of it with flashbacks or internal thought. Feel free to role-play Victor as necessary to keep the conversation going.

To help you with your application, Victor is not looking for inquisitive builds. He is looking for a range of skills that can be used in solving crimes. This includes magic, thief's skills and potentially a healer, not to mention some muscle for tight situations and excursions into the Cogs.

PostingPosting Frequency: 3-4 times a week. I have a busy job and therefore will generally make updates twice a week. Players will need to post more often than this. Character interaction is what keeps pbp going.

Posting style: Past tense, third person.
I expect you to flesh out the world. Describe what your character sees. Make it up based on your knowledge of the setting. Roleplay minor NPC interactions that have little or no influence on the story arc.

Actions in combat must be described. Bare rolls or statements like Daebalar fires his bow, will automatically miss. This is doubly true when using action points.

Posting Length: I don't want to see single line posts. You must add colour and movement. As a DM my job is to entertain you. As a player, your job is to entertain me and your fellow players. That said, I don't want you to feel obliged to bog everyone down with an essay every post.

Sometimes longer posts are appropriate, sometimes they need only be a paragraph. But 2-3 sentences is the absolute minimum.

Last edited by tacet pressim; Apr 28 '18 at 1:42pm..
Looks interesting. I'd love to throw my hat in the ring.

EDIT: Would you be alright with a Changeling? They're listed in Unearthed Arcana as well, but their omission from the mentioned races might imply you'd prefer something else.

Oh...
As a relatively new player to D&D (only played for a few months), I am completely unfamiliar with Eberron.
Any advice you would have for me?

Sunuva!!!! I love Eberron. Been wanting to cut my teeth on the 5e version ever since I discovered that guy's website (the one you have listed above). I will have to see if I can muster the time or energy to flesh out a PC, though I've got so many ideas . . . eh, I'll have to see what I can do. His take on the Dragonmarked feats were soooo much closer to what Keith Baker envisioned for the original setting from everything I've seen.

I'll check back in as I'm able!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronDnD View Post
Oh...
As a relatively new player to D&D (only played for a few months), I am completely unfamiliar with Eberron.
Any advice you would have for me?
Eberron as a setting is like the Renaissance if arcane magic was the source of industrial improvements for the races, rather than technology alone. The lore is filled with dragons - the three layers of the world are described as the dragons Syberius (the sky, or heaven, depending on your point of view), Eberron (the world), and Khyber (the dark world below). You'll probably want to give this Wiki a read-through if you're thinking of making a character.

I love Eberron, and might be able to swing 3-4 posts a week toward a game. I have the adventures, including the ones from Dragon magazine, but I've never played nor even read them.

@tacet pressim - A question about Posting Style...

When you say, "describe your action," are you looking for the player to resolve their own actions with rolls (roll first, post second) or to describe their action up to its resolution, which is then handled by you in the next post?

As an example, if I were to fiddle with a lock to enter into a house, am I describing the entire sequence as well as its success/failure or just the sequence by which I insert picks into the keyhole, arrange the tumblers, and listen for the appropriate clicks?

Additionally, is the Action Point economy in place of Inspiration, or will this game use both?

This seems like a wonderful excuse to make a fun warforged character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maester1216 View Post
Would you be alright with a Changeling? They're listed in Unearthed Arcana as well, but their omission from the mentioned races might imply you'd prefer something else.
Of course. Sorry, I made a typo in the game description. I have fixed it now. Unearthed Arcana is the source we will be using for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrosbaldr View Post
[MENTION=898]When you say, "describe your action," are you looking for the player to resolve their own actions with rolls (roll first, post second) or to describe their action up to its resolution, which is then handled by you in the next post?

As an example, if I were to fiddle with a lock to enter into a house, am I describing the entire sequence as well as its success/failure or just the sequence by which I insert picks into the keyhole, arrange the tumblers, and listen for the appropriate clicks?
A little bit of both. In some circumstances you'll know what roll is needed for a success, in others you won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrosbaldr View Post
Additionally, is the Action Point economy in place of Inspiration, or will this game use both?
Good question. My plan was to give inspiration first, with action points for subsequent rewards. Once players spend their inspiration they get new inspiration before they start accumulating more actions points.