Notices

Criminals and Outcasts Needed to Protect Earth

Old May 25 '18, 12:28pm
Shroompunk Warlord

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Criminals and Outcasts Needed to Protect Earth

The Heavens Fall to Earth - Forum
Cortex

Don't Go Into Squidtown After DarkJohnny had lost track of time since his cellphone batteries had run out. He was deep underground, and he prayed that when he found Sarah, he'd remember the way back to the surface... back to the abandoned subway station that led back up to a squalid alley in Squidtown. He thought of little Sarah being held down here for two weeks, and barely remembered the fancy house and fat paycheck waiting for him in the Lantern Park District.

He reached what he hoped was his destination, a scavenged wooden door, and his grip tightened on his saber. Taking a breath, he kicked in the door to face three enormous furred bipeds sitting on makeshift chairs. A small child sat, bound and hooded, in a wooden kitchen chair in the center of the room.

One of the sasquatches brandished a stained meat cleaver and snarled, "You no take girl. Tell rich man he pays or girl dies. Or you die, and girl suffers."

Johnny drew his saber and struck without a word.

FaerieGodfatherYour illustrious DM is none other than the FaerieGodfather; I am relatively inexperienced with running games on the Weave, but my Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game-- also a Cortex System game-- has been running for approximately ten months, and I am sure my players would be happy to give me a positive reference. Cascade City is one of my personal campaign settings, and the Cortex system is one of my favorite systems to run.

NO SYSTEM OR SETTING EXPERIENCE NECESSARY.

I will be happy to teach players how to use the system, and the learning curve is remarkably easy.

SummaryThe Heavens Fall to Earth is about a handful of warriors living by their own code, trying to get through their day-to-day lives in a corrupt society. Whether they are virtuous knights-errant or scoundrels with hearts of gold, they live outside the boundaries (and protection) of civilized society and must rely on their wits and their kung fu to stay ahead of the gangs and the law.

And then the aliens invade.

ApplicationsPost in this thread to indicate your interest. Tell me about your character concept-- a couple of paragraphs about their background and why they're living in the jianghu-- the society of warriors and outlaws.

Then read the Character Creation rules and post a new thread in the Applications forum-- title is the character's name plus a brief description-- with your trait allocations.

As soon as we have three solid applications, we'll start doing the background work on how everyone knows each other.

Game Description:

Genre: Urban Fantasy/Wuxia
Game System(s): Cortex Prime (available here, but players won't need it)
Character Creation: Rules here.
Posting Rate: 3-4 times per week (72 hours)
Game Format: Myth Weavers Only
Game Style: Character-driven with mostly social interaction and combat
How to Contact: Game Forum or Private Message
Fulfilled?: Yes

The Heavens Fall to Earth is set in my personal campaign setting, Cascade City, an alternate-reality Earth in the year 2031, in which the existence of magic has altered the course of our history, mostly for the worse. The game begins in Cascade City itself, a major metropolis on the California coast-- think of a cross between Los Angeles, Hong Kong, and Las Vegas. Characters are members of the jianghu, the informal brotherhood of warriors and sorcerers that lives just outside of the protections of civilized society.

Last edited by FaerieGodfather; May 26 '18 at 3:23pm..
As a big fan of Feng Shui and Feng Shui 2 I am up for this. Do not have the Cortex Rules, but since that is not an issue expect an application soon.

Which Cortex rules? 8Oc

I am stupid. I see the info up there now. Lol.

I'm curious about some setting/tech aspects - namely levels of realism (I see there's a powers and sfx part, but that doesn't indicate how... grounded in reality a character's martial art might be) and technology (how advanced/accessible is stuff now? or how accessible is magic to fuel alternates to technology).

I mean... speaking as someone who would find it hugely fun to be fielding heavy-impact brawl/grapple maneuvers (and suplexes) and shot-gun knuckles, I can't tell if that kind of idea would need to be dialed back some here or not (not that I mean every move should be expected to deliver craters with every impact or anything of that level anyway, but usually being 6'4" and having about 260lbs or so of muscle is needed to reliably do those things to people :P)

Huh...consider me intrigued. I'm just about to crash, but I'll be back to put together a character concept sometime in the next day or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuno_ View Post
I'm curious about some setting/tech aspects - namely levels of realism (I see there's a powers and sfx part, but that doesn't indicate how... grounded in reality a character's martial art might be) and technology (how advanced/accessible is stuff now? or how accessible is magic to fuel alternates to technology).
Magic cannot do anything without a conscious will driving it. It cannot be automated and it cannot be mass-produced.

The science of magic has been making leaps and bounds since the turn of the 20th century. There are a handful of researchers who claim to be on the verge of producing functional magitech-- that channels the conscious will of its user and uses their magical ability as a power source. Futurists have been saying it's about ten years away for the past twenty years... which is driving a minor surge in the number of students seeking thaumaturgy degrees in the two American universities that offer them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuno_ View Post
I mean... speaking as someone who would find it hugely fun to be fielding heavy-impact brawl/grapple maneuvers (and suplexes) and shot-gun knuckles, I can't tell if that kind of idea would need to be dialed back some here or not (not that I mean every move should be expected to deliver craters with every impact or anything of that level anyway, but usually being 6'4" and having about 260lbs or so of muscle is needed to reliably do those things to people :P)
Assume PCs are near the upper ends of human norms unless otherwise noted. A character described as being short with a slight build shouldn't be as strong as someone described as being as big as three bulls in a torn pair of pantyhose, but they'll hit just as hard.

There are not really ranks of super-strength. Characters with super-strength can lift a large pickup truck over their heads and possibly drop it on someone, but can't effectively throw it to hit someone they can't reach.

This sounds super cool! I have a few questions before I send in an application or anything, though. Hopefully they aren't too annoying to answer!

1. Can anyone develop magic? Does it always come as a result of using/being skilled in martial arts, or can someone develop magical abilities and then transition into doing martial arts?

2. Does alchemy exist/work, or is that also filed under magitech?

3. Are most religions against magic, or do they accept it? Have new religions popped up around magic?

4. Is there an age-range you'd like characters to be in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWaifu View Post
Hopefully they aren't too annoying to answer!
This setting is one of my babies. I'm always happy to answer questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWaifu View Post
1. Can anyone develop magic? Does it always come as a result of using/being skilled in martial arts, or can someone develop magical abilities and then transition into doing martial arts?
Anyone can develop magic with sufficient dedication and time. Some people need less than others, but it's hard for everyone.

Martial arts isn't the only skillset that expresses itself magically-- it's just the skillset most likely, aside from sorcery itself, to manifest in recognizable magical powers. Professional athletes are close. Musicians. Anything that takes discipline, focus, and tons of effort.

Quote:
2. Does alchemy exist/work, or is that also filed under magitech?
Depends on what you mean by alchemy. Potions have to be made by hand, one at a time. The transmutation of metals is certainly possible, but it's far too labor-intensive-- extremely skilled labor intensive- to be cost effective.

Nobody really believes in immortality except the Immortals. There big secret to immortality basically boils down to git gud scrub.

Quote:
3. Are most religions against magic, or do they accept it? Have new religions popped up around magic?
Most of the Abrahamic religions say that sorcery is only acceptable when practiced in accordance with God's will. Debate over what that means ranges from spirited discussion to terrorism, but most forward-thinking sects accept sorcery as long as it is used selflessly to help good people to do good things.

All of the Faiths of the Book have their own native magical traditions that are specifically allowed either to any faithful, or to the clergy. These magics are a "gift from God", but they are not "divine magic" in the D&D sense-- they are a talent that the theurge possesses, like any other magic.

I don't know how much more detail I'm allowed to get into here, so I won't.

Most pagan religions already have an existing magical tradition that is a substantial part of their practice, which is emphasised deliberately by neopagan religions. The only difference is that these traditions are more effective in Cascade City, but this has made a negligible difference in demographics.

Most people in Cascade City do not think about magic at all. Almost everyone goes through a "magic phase" in their teens, and gives up on it; almost everyone knows someone who can do a trick. Telling a stranger that you're a sorcerer isn't telling them a dangerous secret: it's like telling them you live in your mother's basement to make it easier to CrossFit.

Quote:
4. Is there an age-range you'd like characters to be in?
I prefer adults, absolutely no younger than fifteen and with a strong preference for at least the mid-twenties.

No upper limit, but Mr. Miyagi was in his late fifties at the time of the Karate Kid. If you're much older than that, you're going to have a hard time justifying being in the physical condition necessary for PCs.