Ser Malekai the Penitent - Templar of the Silver Flame - Myth-Weavers

Ser Malekai the Penitent - Templar of the Silver Flame

Ser Malekai the Penitent - Templar of the Silver Flame

Ser Malekai the Penitent
Hellbred Paladin

Theme

Now I look at it again it is still OP so I am adding a few more restrictions : Can't drink alcohol (That will hurt you in some social situations and goes good with the class you must admit), must be the rear guard on any retreat, must protect any innocents that are under attack even at the risk of your life , must protest unjust treatment of others and must accept the surrender of any enemy to be delivered to any non-evil authority. That needs to be good only once, if they try to escape or attack you then you can kill them.

All of this sounds fine and part and parcel of playing a paladin. I appreciate your consideration!

I'm working on my background at the moment though I probably won't finish it and get it posted today. These restrictions all feel like part of the code (and the class does say the DM is free to add to it), so I'll be compiling all of these in a breakout box for ease of reference.

I don't drink alcohol IRL so I can relate, but I would like to clarify something...

With the ban on alcohol for example is it a geas kind of thing where if someone slips something into his food or drink that breaks his code and he loses all of his class features? Or does it have to be willingly? What if it's not even intentional, like he eats some food that happens to have fermented...is it grounds for code-breaking if a single drop touches his lips? Just want to be as clear as possible about expectations.

In terms of his role within the agency, he is a professional monster hunter with a ton of experience specializing in dealing with undead and lycanthropes in particular. That said when the Silver Flame was purging the weres of Khorvaire, he was one of the few who secretly defied his orders and helped many of the good ones escape into hiding. When the law is evil, good must take precedence...

It has to be willingly. I am not going to punish you for things that you can't control. If you ate something partly fermented without knowing it that doesn't count. What you can't do is drink a beer. Yeah, I did pick things that seemed to be part of a Paladin's Code not just arbitrarily . I wouldn't punish you if you turned over a captive unknowingly to an evil authority.

Since most Dark Lords in my game are "Villains with good publicity" that wouldn't apply. For example , as far as the party is concerned Herself is probably a pretty strict LN. They know the underworld fears her but the other people they met are OK with her. Since Gabrielle Aidaire did nothing evil in front of the party and passes herself off as a redeemed person she wouldn't count but Waddim, who is a home brew Dark Lord that the party knows is LE would count. In short you have to be knowingly and willingly breaking the code for it to count.

Oh, I see how it works now...very clever actually. The way Gorgondantess wrote it is that if you fall, it drops your Charisma to one (the poor wretches). Because all of the Paladins powers are based on Charisma and even specifically mention going into penalties with negative scores, this effectively declaws them entirely. Instead of Smiting, they have huge penalties then to hit and damage, the save DCs for their spells go into the gutter, they take huge penalties on saves. It's pretty genius really, until such time as they are able to authentically atone for their moral failing(s).

That said, I'm pretty fond of playing pallys as well as Jedi in Star Wars so I'm game for the RP of it all. I have played with DMs in the past who seem to make it their mission to try and f**k over the pally at every opportunity but I know that's not you. I expect that from time to time you'll put me in situations, ESPECIALLY in this setting (which is part of the appeal and why I think it's actually the perfect setting to play a pally in), where I may have to make some hard decisions or face defeat, but I know and trust you'll be fair about it and make it more about serving the story.

I went ahead and added your requirements to the code, and embellished the language a bit. I also added my own further restriction on celibacy, as it seemed to flow naturally from the teetotaling.

Let me know what you think...

The Code- A Paladin must always act with honor, respect legitimate and just authority (so long as said authority does not command him to commit an evil act), help those in need, never under any circumstances harm an innocent or commit an evil act, and work to uphold the law at all times unless said law would go against the other tenets of the code.

- A paladin can't kill an innocent to save a village ("we don't trade lives...unless it is our own"). Unless it is justified under the law, killing someone just because they are evil is considered an evil act, and will cause the paladin to Fall- all evil creatures deserve redemption. A paladin must have just reason to believe the evil creature in question is going to do him or an innocent harm to harm the evil creatures. A paladin must accept the surrender of any enemy to be delivered to any non-evil authority. However this clemency will protect an evil-doer only once. Should they attempt escape and/or act with further violence, they forfeit their protection and may be honorably slain by the Code.

- A paladin may only kill a neutral creature if they are in the process of attacking the paladin, his allies, or an innocent, or doing something that would help bring about the harm of the paladin, his allies, or an innocent.

- The paladin may, under no circumstances, kill a good creature.

- Non-sentient creatures do not extend to this clause, though the paladin may not kill a non-sentient creature if it would be illegal to do so.

- A paladin's word is his bond, and he must hold himself to his Oaths. This is distinct from any given statement the paladin might make; the paladin must use the phrase, "I give you my Oath," or "I pledge an Oath." Once such an Oath has been made it is inviolate. To break one's Oath is to break one's faith in oneself, and will precipitate a Fall. For example, Rafayel has taken an Oath never to engage in ranged combat, for it is cowardly to attack an enemy at a distance, unable to defend themselves.

- A paladin must do his best to uphold righteous authority wherever he goes, and make himself available as a lawful figure for resolving conflicts. If a paladin witnesses unjust treatment of others, they are honor, duty, and Code-bound to protest and intervene, even at risk of their own life and limb.

- A paladin must be the rear-guard during any retreat, staving off the hordes so that others might flee to safety before themselves. Paladins are protected from magical fear, but they must still have the courage of their convictions within, holding the line against evil, even unto the ultimate cost...a paladin is the shield that stands before the meek, the weak, and the innocent.

- The paladin may never knowingly imbibe alcohol, or other intoxicants. Divine power demands eternal vigilance and the abstention of vices that dull the senses and lead to excess.

- Likewise a paladins is barred from indulging in the based lusts of the flesh, which can be more intoxicating than even the most potent wine. If a paladin wishes to marry and sire offspring they may choose to do so, but forfeit their champion status and effectively retire from the class. A paladin must serve the greater good, and while it is a noble act to raise a family, the powerful drive to favor and protect ones own kin destroys objectivity and creates a conflict of interest where it is all too easy to Fall from Grace.

- Any paladin who ceases to be lawful good or knowingly violates this code of conduct is considered to have a charisma score of 1 until proper atonement is made.

So long as the paladin does not submit to such temptations- so long as the paladin tries to find the third option in these situations- the paladin should not Fall. This doesn't mean the third option is practical, or even possible, but the paladin should always at least try.

Not that it matters since I built him melee only, and took the flaw for it, but would you consider removing the ban on ranged combat? Researching the Silver Flame it looks like the longbow is their favored weapon and a big part of their faith and training. Apparently was used by the Paladin who merged with the Flame 700ish years ago.

Again, I'm not going to use it anyway, but as a piece of background fluff it makes less sense. Instead I'll say it isn't part of the Code but Raf himself feels ranged combat is cowardly...

OK, the mechanics would be the same. Let us say he felt it was cowardly so he himself made an oath not to use missile weapons. The code isn't against missile weapons but it is against breaking oaths. He wouldn't be breaking the code by using missile weapons in and of itself but he would be breaking his own oath not to and THAT is what would break the code.

Maybe an oath was required to "prove your devotion" to get in. It didn't have to be that oath, it just had to be an oath that actually deprived you in some way. You chose that one as you saw such weapons as cowardly. It might have raised a few eyebrows because of their history but it was acceptable.