Character creation guidelines/Q&A - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Character creation guidelines/Q&A

Character creation guidelines/Q&A

Post a topic in this section with your application. There isn't a particular format I want you to stick to, but you must include any and all the following information.

Name and Surname: well duh.

Race: in the empire, the most common race is human, so you're expected to be of a race that has human blood (human, half-elf, half-orc, aasimar etc). Nothing forbids that you take a core race with no human blood, but in that case we'll have some important matters to discuss. Please avoid non-core races outside of those with human blood.
EDIT FOR NEW RECRUITS: after the game started, we realized that, of the initial batch of applicants, literally everyone ha made a human, so yeah, for the sake of keeping things simple we decided to just remain loyal to the videogame's original setting, with humans as the sole race. Thus, for the sake of not forcing us to undo a change we literally just made, we would really appreciate it if you new applicants could stick to humans as well.

Class: The Witch class is plot-locked, meaning that, for plot-related reasons, I cannot allow you to take it. Any other Paizo class is permitted: you must use the Unchained version of the Summoner, while for the Barbarian, Monk and Rogue it's up to you which version you wanna use. NON-PAIZO MATERIALS ARE STRICTLY FORBIDDEN, NO EXCEPTION, so please don't even ask.

Level: We start at level 1.

Base Stats: 25 points buy. As a side note, I tend to see stats as mere mechanics, rather than strict definitions of what your character is: as such, I won't force you to be a complete idiot who fails all of his exams jut because you put an 8 in Int, just to make an example. With that being said, I'm giving you such a high point buy for a reason: rather than min-maxing, try and have well-rounded stats.

Traits: 2, you can have 3 if you also take a drawback.

Weapon of Choice: please indicate one kind of weapon that will be your signature, your bread and butter, throughout the campaign. You will get one exemplar of your chosen weapon (a normal example, it won't be magical nor masterwork) as a starter weapon, without having to spend money from your initial budget to purchase it. For gunslingers, please be aware that we're using the commonplace guns rules.

Social Background: are you a noble, a commoner, or a barbarian from up north? In many ways this is the most important choice at this stage, so think long and hard about what kind of person you want to be.

Appearance: I would like to get a short description, but I will accept a pic if you prefer. This campaign is based on a JRPG, so expect "steampunk-esque anime" to be the dominant visual style around you: this being said, I'm not forcing you to conform to said style yourself, if you don't want to.

Personality: The most important aspect of the campaign will be your growth as individuals. You will have to interact with the world around you, form your own opinion and pick your stance on the most delicate social and political matters of the country, and make decisions that will dramatically affect the final outcome of the campaign. As such, the personality section of your app is going to be by far the most important one, and I expect you to put a lot of effort in it: how do you interact with others? What's your view on your current stance in society? Why did you enroll at the academy? I want to see convincing answers to these and many other questions. As a side-note, I will expect your actions throughout the campaign to be driven by what you write here, NOT by your alignment. In fact, given the way the campaign will flow, I don't care about alignment at all: unfortunately, there are many spells, feats and class abilities that interact with alignment, so for the sake of those I'll need you to write something in the alignment section of your sheet... But again, that will be a minor aspect when evaluating your app: what I care about is what you write in the Personality section.

Backstory: you're very young first year students, at your first major experience in life. As such, I don't expect you to have a lot to write in this section. Still, I at least would like to see a bit of insight on your family life: on that note, feel free to contact me to ask for any additional info on the setting you might require to add more depth to this part! I'll be happy to tell you about anything it would be reasonable for your character to know (for example, the heir to one of the Great Houses would know more about the inner workings of nobility than a commoner would, so I'll be glad to provide additional info to someone applying to be such a character).

Lastly, don't forget to include a link to your MW sheet!

Optional systems that will be in effect in this campaign

If a system is not in this list, then it means that it is NOT in effect and I do NOT plan to use it, so please don't even ask.

Automatic Bonus Progression - Will mechanically represent your increasing mastery of your combat orbments.

Background Skills - Because who doesn't love these?

Commonplace Guns - Anyone can begin play with an Early Firearm as their starting weapon, is they list it as their Weapon of Choice. Gunslingers (and ONLY gunslingers, you do NOT get this special bonus if you pick another class' archetype that gives you grit) may begin play with an Advanced Firearm as their starting weapon, if they list it as their Weapon of Choice.

Hero Points - Once the game begins, I will explain in details how you can be awarded these.

Stamina - If you would get a bonus combat feat from your class, you can instead get Combat Stamina.

Lastly, know that I read carefully the documents provided by Paizo about Intrigue and about Social Conflicts: those will help a lot shape up many aspects of this campaign.

Lastly, please let me know what your summer schedule is like: I need to plan out the pace for the first month of the campaign, so yeah, if you think you'll be on vacation at the end of july and/or at any point through august, please let me know.

What's the academy's pet policy? >.>

Particularly on the topic of dogs who could legitimately be used in training tracking and wilderness skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viletta Vadim View Post
What's the academy's pet policy? >.>

Particularly on the topic of dogs who could legitimately be used in training tracking and wilderness skills.
In other words, an animal companion? Worry not, if it's a class feature they'll let you keep your pet

Not an animal companion yet. At level one, I kind of have to choose between an animal companion and a rifle. But at, like... level four or five, they'd become an animal companion through feats.

No witches

What about a barbarian Shaman?

@Viletta Vadim uh? Which class/archetype does that? o.O

@pdwalt sure, shamans are ok. It's just witches that are locked because... Reasons. I cannot elaborate without spoilering, although the mere fact that I'm saying this will probably allow the few people who've actually played the game to immediately figure out where I'm going with this lol.

No class/archetype is involved.

I'm just making a regular gunslinger. Later on, I intend to take the Animal Ally feat.

Also, is there any particular reason one of the characters must be male, out of curiosity? I mean, granted the protagonist being replaced is male, but having not played the game, is that terribly... relevant, I guess would be the word?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viletta Vadim View Post
No class/archetype is involved.

I'm just making a regular gunslinger. Later on, I intend to take the Animal Ally feat.

Also, is there any particular reason one of the characters must be male, out of curiosity? I mean, granted the protagonist being replaced is male, but having not played the game, is that terribly... relevant, I guess would be the word?
Ooooooh I see, that makes sense. Well I see no problem with that, even if your pet is not your animal companion yet in terms of mechanics, having it around would totally be fine, so go right ahead.

As for one of the characters being male... It's just that replacing Rean with a guy preserves the exact same cast calculus the videogame has, which makes it easier for me to rework the plot in light of the different paths we're exploring, without having to change too much. For someone who's only in this as a player this might seem like an overall minor matter, but I can guarantee it's not.