RAPPAN ATHUK! Prepare to Die Edition!

Old Aug 2 '18, 7:29pm
DM

Mentioned: 544 Post(s)
RAPPAN ATHUK! Prepare to Die Edition!

Lost Lands: Rappan Athuk - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

Prepare to Die Edition!
Rappan Athuk, the legendary mega-dungeon by Frog God Games and Necromancer Games.
It is nothing more and nothing less than a good, old–fashioned, First Edition dungeon crawl.
Updated for the 5th Edition rules.

Prologue

Rappan Athuk, a dungeon of legend.
Rappan Athuk, a stronghold of evil.
Rappan Athuk, Dungeon of Graves.

This is your formal invitation to join an expedition into the wilds, to seek treasure, glory, and whatever else you desire. In the service of The Great Downward Engineering Company you have been tasked with exploring Rappan Athuk, from the tiny backwater settlement of Zelkor's Ferry the adventuring company has offered to teleport a group of seven (determined by random lottery) to the very entrance of the complex which lies over 50 miles away through dangerous bandit filled wild lands. This group of seven will spend seven days and six nights exploring the famous dungeon to collect whatever riches they can find, at the end of the seventh day they all will be magically teleported back to Zelkor's Ferry, where the adventuring company will get a equal share of any treasure found.

But never fear, The Great Downward Engineering Company has promised a strong stream of reinforcements tied to your teleporting stones. If one of you happen to fall victim to the famously deadly dungeon, another waiting adventurer will appear shortly to take their place. Ensuring that the seven day delve will be a success.

A megadungeon that has existed for centuries, Rappan Athuk has had a long time to become crowded with various creatures and individuals, filling the many floors of the dungeon to the brim with everything from trolls, to an evil cult, a plague, and everything in between. So what do you say? Care to join the expedition and defy the party-crushing dungeon that is Rappan Athuk?

Will you delve into the heart of evil?

Introduction (The Basics)

Rules System: D&D 5e
Theme: Deadly Old School Dungeon Crawl (nothing more, nothing less.)
Starting Level: 3rd

Mechanically, this will be standard point-buy with 27 points. In play, many charcaters and players will die over the course of this game. Welcome to Rappun Athuk.

The posting rate for this game will be an average of three times per week if not more. Some days there will be more posts than others, but this campaign will be run at a leisurely pace. If you do not post once within 48 hours during combat, actions will be taken for you (usually the dodge or assist action). I reserve the right to eject from the campaign anyone who has not posted in a week without prior warning of absence.

I also travel occasionally, but this rarely affects my posting. I will be taking applications until 8/25/18. I will be accepting 7 players for this campaign, they will be selected by random lottery. Other players that have completed applications will also be assigned numbers, when a character/player dies then another player and their character will be transported to their location and the deceased body transported back.

It's like a waiting line for death.

Character Building

Available Books: All WotC Hardcovers (PHB, Sword Coast, Volo's, etc.). NO UA. (Don't Ask)

You will need to read the Rappan Athuk Player's Guide for this campaign if you want all the juicy hints.

If you still haven't read the players guide, STOP NOW, GO READ IT!

Alignment Requirement: Any (this is Rappan Athuk, it takes all type.)

Starting Equipment: You get your equipment from your background + 200 gp, the following magic items are purchasable before start:

Healing Potions (50 gp)
Cantrip Scrolls (10 gp)
1st Level Scrolls (60 gp)
2nd Level Scrolls (120 gp)

Ability Scores: Ability scores can be generated using the 27 point buy as featured in the PHB.

Hit Points: Maximum at 1st level, average each additional level.

Applications to the Game

Character Submissions: You will need to start a thread in the Applications Folder for your submission. If you have any questions about my rules for character building, any thoughts about character backgrounds, or to request that I review your character then you can do so below.

Applications must include a link to a fully completed Myth-Weavers character sheet.

Description/Personality: (Feel free to describe your character (physically) in any terms you wish. When describing your character’s personality, consider the following questions: How do others view you in social interactions? How optimistic is your character? How trusting? How assertive are you when it comes to making major decisions? How conscientious are you about following rules? How empathetic are you? How courageous are you in dire straits? How do you feel when faced by setbacks? How are your nerves?)

Backstory: No cities outside the general Rappan Athuk area will be used so keep your backstory to a paragraph or two as it won't effect the campaign.

Technical Stuff

Application Deadline: AUGUST 25th, 2018 midnight CST

Post Requirements: Minimum posting rate of three times per week (If not more)

Party Size: Looking for 7 players. (determined randomly by lottery)

Other Requirements:
- I want players who give detailed and interesting posts. Not one-liners and blocks of speech text. The rule of three applies here. What is your character thinking, doing and saying.

- Expect your actions to have consequences. Don't be stupid. Play smart. If I give you lots of hints that opening the box will unleash fiery death. Don't open the box and expect to live.

- I'm a story teller, the rule of cool applies. If it's cool, cinematic and epic, screw the rules- I'll probably allow it. If this grates against your rules lawyer soul...we are not meant to play together.

- Unless I tell you otherwise...assume you can play with the scenery to help craft the story.

Questions/Clarifications:

Can I play if I've played part of the Adventure, but not all of it?
Sure

Can I submit more than one character?
No. I am limiting this so everyone gets a chance to play equally, every application will receive a number in the lottery, as characters die off the next available comes in.

Final DM Note

Form a line to the left, we'll teleport you to your final destination. Enjoy your stay...

Please do not hesitate to PM me, call me out on something, disagree with me, ask questions, bite your thumb at me, or anything else you need to do for me to get your application. I don't bite.

I look forward to your applications and good luck!

Game Description:

The Legend of Rappan Athuk

The Legend of Rappan Athuk is well known, told numerous times by bards, adventurers, sages, and loremasters. It is summarized below. The characters may know some or all of this legend.

Many hundreds of years ago, the forces of good allied to destroy the main Temple of Orcus in the ancient city of Tsar. With their temple in ruins, the surviving high priests of this accursed demon-god fled the city with an army of enemies on their trail — an army of heroic fighters, clerics and paladins — led by Zelkor, a powerful wizard. The exact fate of these evil priests is unknown, for not only did the remnants of the followers of Orcus disappear from all human reckoning, but so did the army of light that followed after them disappear as well. Some said that in the eternal scales the loss of so many good men was a fair price to pay to rid the world of so much evil.

The evil cult, however, had not been destroyed. The surviving priests and their followers instead settled on a hill near the Forest of Hope, a sylvan woodland near the Coast Road. There they found a vast underground complex of caverns and mazes, carving out a volcanic intrusion beneath the hill. The priests of Orcus had found the perfect lair to continue their vile rituals. For many years, they carried on in secret, hidden from the light and from the knowledge of men.

Many years later, their underground delving completed, the evil priests erected a hideous mausoleum and graveyard atop the hill. It is believed that these graves are the final resting place of the pursuing army of heroes that had been destroyed to a man. Soon after the mausoleum was erected the peaceful creatures of the wood began to disappear. Though many rangers and druids investigated these happenings, the cause of the creatures’ disappearance was not immediately determined. Some years later a powerful group of adventurers, led by Bofred, a high priest of Thyr, investigated the evil happenings and found the sunken graveyard leading to a labyrinthine complex. Bofred and his companions found great hordes of evil creatures in the complex. Though some of his companions returned from their expedition, telling tales of fantastic treasure and ferocious monsters, Bofred was never seen again — lost in the catacombs beneath the cursed mausoleum.

For the last century and more, ranks of adventurers have ventured to the newfound dungeon. Many fell prey to bandits and monsters in the surrounding wilderness. Rumors suggest that of those who survived to reach the mausoleum and sunken graveyard, most were slain by guardians of green stone or perished near the entrance. Those rare few who return from deeper treks speak of horrible undead and creatures that cannot be slain. All who have explored Rappan Athuk offer this one universal piece of advice: “Don’t go down the Well.”

Last edited by bwatford; Aug 2 '18 at 7:33pm..
Quote:
“Don’t go down the Well.”
Truer words are seldom spoken, and rarely heeded.

On top of an already deadly dungeon, seven strangers thrust together. Players knowing that if they die. Another player awaits to take their place. What are they willing to do to survive for seven days? Better yet, what are they willing to do to survive for one?

The statement may be, don't go down the well, it might also add, and don't get pushed down the well either.

I did a short run of it at a con with the COO of Frog God Games (Zach Glazar) using their home OSR system (Swords & Wizardry). VERY fun dungeon, VERY deadly - though we managed to survive with four lowbies and no true combats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimwold View Post
Many PLAYERS will die?

Now that's rough.
Probably scare everyone off. The new kids are used to well balanced adventures that are engineered to give them the upper hand.

What do you mean by save or die? That's totally not how this works.

Took a glance at the player's guide and it's in a story format! Delightful.

Could you tell us what the ending levels are roughly going to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbett View Post
Took a glance at the player's guide and it's in a story format! Delightful.

Could you tell us what the ending levels are roughly going to be?
20 (eventually) we will be recording XP individually..... .

I think I'd like to give this a go. I've just recently started to get into 5th edition, and Rappan Athuck sounds interesting.

I feel like I want to see how application choosing for War of the Burning Sky goes, but if I don't get in there I'll certainly try my hand here..