Mummy Character Creation - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Mummy Character Creation

Mummy Character Creation

So, I'm building an Amenti character for a tabletop game, and since she's going to be an experienced, rather than a starting, character, the ST has assigned me twelve dots of Hekau. Since the PC is an artist with high Crafts, I put 4 in Amulets and 4 in Effigy. However, I've been going absolutely nuts trying to decide where to put the last 4. Nuts, I tells ya!

On the one hand, Alchemy involves making shit, which is kind of her deal. On the other hand, Celestial gives her some serious offensive power, which, as a mummy in a chronicle with werewolves and vampires (it's one of those "kitchen sink" games the developers used to hate so much), she might need. On the third hand (let's imagine an Anansi is keeping track of this for us), the ST has hinted at a murder mystery, so Necromancy could be very useful. But on the fourth hand, Nomenclature would actually let her become stone, clay, bronze sculptures...

My brain has been going around in circles all day, when I'm supposed to be working. Help, please?

This is my speaking as someone who has never played an Amenti, but has seen them in action in 1 vampire game and 1 mage game, and has leafed the corebook. So hardly an expert. But Celestial level 4 has Wisdom of Isis which allows a mummy the ability to counter magic. Assuming it can counter the "magic" of other supernaturals like counter magic for mages can, then I'd definitely give it a second gander as being able to counter supernatural nastiness is definitely a must in crossover games

True, but the Amulets Hekau is pretty much an entire path of countermagic. Ab: subtracts dice from attempts at mind control. Ren: subtracts from attempts to use the mummy's True Name to target them. Udjat: subtracts from magic that causes direct damage. And so forth.

Due to the nature of the game, as you've stated it, I'd personally split those last 4 dots and put 2 in Alchemy and the other 2 in Nomenclature. This gives you the ability to somewhat craft stuff, as well as being able to go somewhat defensive in those situations where you need to do so.

That's just my opinion; YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Spooky View Post
True, but the Amulets Hekau is pretty much an entire path of countermagic. Ab: subtracts dice from attempts at mind control. Ren: subtracts from attempts to use the mummy's True Name to target them. Udjat: subtracts from magic that causes direct damage. And so forth.
Right, but if memory serves me right celestial 4 Wisdom of Isis is an active counter-spell and they stack with amulets hekau. As in say tremere throws lure of flames at you, activate wisdom of Isis as a counterspell effect. Your successes lower his successes, if he's a zero, no fire throwing

Now working on the assumption that amulets and wisdom of Isis stack. That would mean that any attempt to throw supernatural effects at you would have a dicepool penalty to produce the effect because of the amulet, and you can roll to counter it entirely with celestial 4, resulting in you basically screwing over any attempt to screw you with magic, even very high dice pools.