Questions & Answers - Myth-Weavers

Questions & Answers

Questions & Answers

Questions & Answers

If you have any questions, please post them here. Read the FAQ first to make sure your question hasn't been answered already.

FAQ

Question: Is there a better way to ask questions?

Answer: Yes! You can use the Myth Weavers Discord Server to get in touch with me directly and instantly. If you're not familiar with that, check it out here: Click Me!

Q: Can I use third-party material or material not on the Allowed Sources list?

A: Nope. I understand that Shadowrun has a ton of splatbooks that allow for some crazy and cool character concepts, but I don't want to get too crazy. The sources I've selected should have something for everyone.

Q: Can I link my application with someone else's?

A: No. Feel free to build interaction between other party members in The Cantina, but your character will be selected entirely on its own merits.

Q: You forgot _____!

A: I'm sure I did. Let me know and I'll fix it.

Q: Is ______ allowed?

A: If it's in an allowed sourcebook or rules source, yes. If not, probably not.

Q: Can I use sources from other editions of Shadowrun?

A: No. SR4A is the edition I own the most copies of books for and I don't want to have to convert between editions.

Q: Can I be a reader for this game?

A: Absolutely! Invite yourself to the game and make sure to mention in the message that you'd like to be a reader.

Q: Will you give me tips on how to improve my character before it's judged?

A: No. I want to see what you can do by yourself. Feel free to ask for feedback from other applicants, but remember, everyone applying is trying to get into the game too, so be careful.

While I consider an application I wanted to double check something: did the raid that goes south already happen and the characters are SOL, or is it going to happen once the game kicks off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo View Post
While I consider an application I wanted to double check something: did the raid that goes south already happen and the characters are SOL, or is it going to happen once the game kicks off?
Good question! The raid is where the game will start, about halfway through right before things go south.

I noticed that, in the "Things That Are Not Allowed" section of the character creation rules you didn't mention Free Spirits. Does that mean we can play them, or did you simply forget to put them down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Good question! The raid is where the game will start, about halfway through right before things go south.
Thanks, good clarification!

Another question: the judging criteria does not mention it, but to confirm - do you prefer to have a mechanically varied party, or are you fine with accepting multiple good character applications that fill the same niche / function?

Question.

As members of the task force, are our characters given anything as a basic kit, or are we (mechanically speaking) to buy all of our task force gear at generation? Is there a set of basic kit we should all be buying, or is it pretty open in this regard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsusthemad View Post
I noticed that, in the "Things That Are Not Allowed" section of the character creation rules you didn't mention Free Spirits. Does that mean we can play them, or did you simply forget to put them down?
I did forget to put them on the list, thank you. Basically, anything that doesn't fit into a Human-Metahuman organization wouldn't fit in with JTF-S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo View Post
Thanks, good clarification!

Another question: the judging criteria does not mention it, but to confirm - do you prefer to have a mechanically varied party, or are you fine with accepting multiple good character applications that fill the same niche / function?
For Shadowrun I do prefer to have a mechanically diverse crew, but the rubric doesn't always agree with that. I defer to the rubric when making selections, I can always tweak any encounters or jobs I have planned to fit the party and make sure they won't be hamstrung. If that means I need to double up on some challenges to accommodate two or more characters having similar skillsets, that's fine by me. I don't subscribe to the "I must beat the players" mentality, I'm much more interested in providing interesting challenges that can be overcome rather than focusing on a party's Achilles' heel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss View Post
Question.

As members of the task force, are our characters given anything as a basic kit, or are we (mechanically speaking) to buy all of our task force gear at generation? Is there a set of basic kit we should all be buying, or is it pretty open in this regard?
I'm fairly open with gear, I don't have a "standard uniform" in mind. Especially in Shadowrun where skills and enhancements depend a lot on the individual in question, I think it would make sense to allow some flexibility in what the characters could "requisition", AKA buy with BP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havelock View Post
Is the Hung Out to Dry or records on file thing related to things going sideways at the beginning?
It is. As part of JTF-S, at least one organization - your character's branch of either Navy/Air Force/Army - would have some record of the character when referring to Records On File. Hung Out to Dry wouldn't take effect until after things go sideways, where what happens will leave a major black mark on the party's reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredshirtwholive View Post
When's the deadline to get applications in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Ad
The application process will close at 11:59PM Eastern Time, June 7th. Characters will be promptly selected for the game over the following weekend and gameplay will begin on June 10th.

June 7th-perfect timing! I've got a concept that I like, and this is complicated enough that I could use the time to flesh it out. Also this is my first time applying to a Shadowrun game; hope that's okay.