House Rules - Myth-Weavers

House Rules

Side Initiative Variant

I roll a d20 for the players initiative as a group, or side. I also roll a d20 for the monsters. Neither roll receives any modifiers. Whoever rolls highest wins initiative. In the case of a tie, I keep rolling until the tie is broken.

When it’s a side’s turn, the members of that side can act in any order they choose. Once everyone on the side has taken a turn, the other side goes. A round ends when both sides have completed their turns.

If more than two sides take part in a battle, I roll initiative for each side . Sides act from the highest roll to the lowest. Combat continues in the initiative order until the battle is complete.

Movement and Position in Combat, adapted from the 13th Age Combat Rules

Generally, all creatures in a battle are nearby. That means they can reach each other with a single move action. If you want to be far away, two moves away, make that clear to me and make sure there’s room for that.

In a battle, each creature is either engaged (locked in melee combat with one or more enemies) or unengaged. By default, creatures in a battle are unengaged. They can move freely, use ranged attacks, engage, etc.

If you move behind allies or terrain features, you gain half cover: +2 bonus to AC and Dexterity saving throws. Engaged creatures will also benefit from half cover against you unless you can get behind them.

When two or more creatures are engaged, they are considered next to each other as targets in areas of effect. By default, creatures in a battle are considered next to their allies, unless they are far away or engaged.

Targets in Areas of Effect

AreaNumber of Targets
ConeSize ÷ 10 (round up)
Cube or squareSize ÷ 5 (round up)
CylinderRadius ÷ 5 (round up)
LineLength ÷ 30 (round up)
Sphere or circleRadius ÷ 5 (round up)

A spell that targets multiple creatures in an area can’t just skip over your allies. You must pick a number of targets that are engaged/next to each other; you don’t just skip all over the battlefield.

Spells that target multiple creatures but don’t specify an area allow you to choose targets from wherever you like. Important stats for targeting will be transparent to PCs. I will tell you all their names, Armor Class, and hit points.

Example Combat Position Table

PC #1
PC #2
PC #3
PC #4
NPC #1
NPC #2
NPC #3
PC #1
AC XX
/ hp XX

Next to