Dungeons & Dragons 4e
Estimated Members Requested: 5

Shade
Wiki

System: D&D 4th Edition
Classes Allowed: All.
RP: Heavy
Combat: Medium
Races Allowed: I cannot currently accept human or dwarven characters, as there are apparently none living in the New World. Players wishing to play as Eladrin or Warforged should PM me, as there are a few additional guidelines. I will consider monstrous races, or those from books other than the PHB on a case by case basis.
Starting Level: You will be starting with just enough EXP to begin at 3rd level.

Your characters will be native residents of The New World who have fallen into a dangerous trap while traveling the wasteland. Wherever you decide your character has come from, he or she was on a journey to meet the Janni, a race of otherworldly fae who are said to know all secrets and even grant wishes. Please read the Wiki for information about The New World and where the races and gods fit in. I encourage you to take liberties with the setting, as we have been experimenting with the game as collaborative fiction, rather than just a swordfighting simulator. The worst that can happen is me asking you to change or omit a few details if I feel something doesn't fit, so go ahead and have fun with it.

Game Description:

The Shade Wiki

Introduction

Our story opens in the nation of Deloria, which is looking its last days in the eye. The modest country is set to be the latest in a long string of conquests across the continent by a charismatic young wizard-king named Vremen Shas. How he managed to sieze power from the Council in Gredylt is still unclear, but many believe that he used forbidden magic to turn the minds of the weak-willed and snuff out the life force of the strong. Rumors fly about the devils he allegedly consorts with, and the power he's buying at the cost of innocent souls, but this far from Gredylt, it's hard to be sure.

Still, Vremen's army has driven through nation after nation, subjugating or destroying them with awesome arcane might. No one ever thought the fight would come to peaceful Deloria, yet here it is. Two weeks ago, the city of Gimwood was burned to the ground, and now the bulk of Deloria's army is holed up in the capitol city of Halmern, preparing for a last-ditch effort to fend off the tide of evil. Soldiers huddle side by side with civilians and refugees, looking nervously out over the walls, wondering just how the end will come...

Act I - Wandering Stars

Displaced from their homeland of Deloria by the invading army of the wizard-king Vremen Shas, a small number of adventurers led a band of refugees through a portal to a mysterious new world. What they found was a wasted land, a desert scorching beneath a white sun, a world of strange people scraping out a ragged existence on a planet given over to desolation and despair.

They have struggled to assert a new home for the refugees in their charge, and are now racing through hostile lands to find a way back to the world of Lanthas before Vremen's assassins catch up to them.

Special Rules
Fate points: Everyone starts with one Fate Point. At any time as a free action, you may spend this fate point to avert death or automatically succeed at a failed attack, save, or skill check. Once spent, the outcome of the action is in the DM's hands--a character who would have been killed by an attack may instead parry at the last moment with his enchanted sword, a move which saves his life but destroys his weapon. A character who has to make the perfect shot might wait a bit too long to release the drawstring and get singed by the dragon's breath in the process of landing a hit with her bow. Results will vary, but usually the most entertaining thing possible will happen.

Last edited by Zeltaen; Apr 5 '10 at 9:10pm..
So this game has been running for several months now, and as happens, we've had a few people drop out. So here is a second call to action. I'm looking for three to five players to shore up the game. I have been very busy lately, so this game will be running at a rate of a GM post every other day or so.

The top section of the post is more recent. Ignore anything contradictory that appears in the bottom section.

Have you any specific roles/classes that you're looking for? And what should we do about equipment? (I'm interested, by the way - thinking of some kind of elf)

Looks very interesting. I normally avoid joining games already in progress, but I might give this a shot; I love cooperative world building.

I try to create characters that compliment the team well, both thematically and mechanically. I found this list of PCs; are they all still active, or have some dropped out? I'd like to know which characters are still "in", so I know my options without risking stepping on anyone's toes.

Though we started with a pretty big cast, I never picked up anyone else and we're currently left with

Yiviansey - Female elf ranger
Kelwyn - Male elf druid
Theril - Male half-elf sorcerer
Joshua - Male human fighter
Rakir - Male dragonborn Warden
Marri - Female dwarven Shaman

These characters are all from Lanthas, so you shouldn't really look to them for cues on your background. You guys are going to be from The New World--which is what the Lanthans call it. I guess the disparate races of The New World would probably have different names for it since they don't really have much in the way of centralized government and stable culture. We seem to have the bases covered as far as strikers and defenders go. The party gets along just fine but I suppose they could use another healer or controller.

This would be more than enough for a regular tabletop game, but I find PBP works better when you have plenty of players, that way the game can keep moving along if people drop out or get busy. It also helps generate more replies in the thread as the players respond to each others' actions and words with greater frequency.

Fun facts about The New World:

It regularly reaches temperatures as high as 120 degrees Fahrenheit at midday. Most water comes from wells dug into underground aquifers. The sun is bright white and the sky is kind of a steely chalky color. Sunlight is harmful to living things over time, and dead bodies left out in the sun occasionally spring to life as murderous zombies. Much the known world is covered in sandy deserts or rocky badlands, with very rare areas that are seasonal scrubland. Vast tracts of dead (and I mean dead) land limit travel to the southeast. There you will find no water, no plant life, and no animals. No one has ever crossed it and returned to talk about it.

Still, people get by, usually with enormous inventiveness. There are very few societies with leisure classes--almost everyone's entire life is devoted to mere survival. I wrote all this stuff myself, with some ideas cribbed from my players, so there's no big fat document about the secret lives of halflings. If you come up with some band or tribe I have not yet described, I'd be happy to attempt to accommodate it. I feel like working that way gets everyone more in touch with the story.

Fantastic! Both the current roster and your notes work well with my first character concept, so I'll run with it. Unless something changes, I'll be working on a female halfling cleric of Pelor.

About how long will you be accepting submissions?

Here is my app.

As a note, I'd like to play as an avenger so I need to know the Gods of the world, thanks.

Will provide a sheet soon.

A couple of questions:

1) Does the PHB1/2 restriction still hold for classes/races/etc? How about Martial Power/Arcane Power/Divine Power books for new class builds and powers?

2) Any fundamental problem with Goliaths, Genasi, or Drow? I'm trying to come up with interesting desert-dweller concepts and those three struck me as interesting. A Goliath as sort of a naturally hardy race sculpted by the New World's harsh climate, a Genasi as a species who fully embraces the raw elemental nature of the world, or a Drow as a species that uses dark coloration and manipulation of darkness to stay alive in the harsh sunlight.

Current top contender is a Warlord of some sort, possibly Goliath. I'd love to use Martial Power 2 to make a Wisdom-based Goliath Insightful Warlord to create a sort of common-sense leader who lacks a certain degree of guile or finesse but makes up for it with intuition and focus. I'm thinking perhaps the exiled eldest son of a tribal chieftain--either exiled by an ambitious sibling or the sole survivor of a coming-of-age ritual that required a dangerous quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucival View Post
A couple of questions:

1) Does the PHB1/2 restriction still hold for classes/races/etc? How about Martial Power/Arcane Power/Divine Power books for new class builds and powers?

2) Any fundamental problem with Goliaths, Genasi, or Drow? I'm trying to come up with interesting desert-dweller concepts and those three struck me as interesting. A Goliath as sort of a naturally hardy race sculpted by the New World's harsh climate, a Genasi as a species who fully embraces the raw elemental nature of the world, or a Drow as a species that uses dark coloration and manipulation of darkness to stay alive in the harsh sunlight.
1) I removed the book restrictions. For some reason I am having trouble editing my initial post. This was my first 4e game and I was worried about there being some cheesiness in the splat books, but so far it's been pretty cool. Feel free to use any book you wish so long as you're prepared to make sure your character fits into the game world.

2) The drow have already made an appearance and now have a fairly firm place in the lore for this world (they're under "elf" in the wiki). A drow character might be interesting, as you'd be able to explore a more sympathetic side to these wayward children of the storm. They're pretty different from the traditional sort of Drow, being a disenfranchised tribe that has had to resort to mercenary work and raids to scrape by. I've been thinking about them being largely irreligious (they believe gods exist, but don't bother worshiping any), but none of this would necessarily be true for any given individual.

They are briefly described here.

Goliaths might be an interesting addition. Large creatures require lots of food, so perhaps they live in small bands and hunt and forage in some of the more inhospitable regions, where other races would not be able to endure.

As for Genasi, I'd like to make them a rare or unique occurrence. Since there are no humans, they would need to be descended from another race. Maybe the Janni would know something about the origins of such a creature. He would have a perfect excuse to pay them a visit...

Quote:
As a note, I'd like to play as an avenger so I need to know the Gods of the world, thanks.
Please read the wiki. It's all in there.