Custom Class: Dragon Shaman 4E, Please Critque - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Custom Class: Dragon Shaman 4E, Please Critque

Custom Class: Dragon Shaman 4E, Please Critque

As part of my homebrew campaign setting, I've been working on a Dragon Shaman class for 4E. I've posted it before along with my campaign setting it the GM Workshop, but not geting any replies. So here's a more specific thread in a more specific forum.

Any advice is much appreciated, as I honestly haven't played or homebrewed much before. I'm particurarly looking for help with epic tier powers and destinies, as I've had no experience at the higher levels. And if anyone would like to use this class in their own games, please feel free! Just let me know how well it works, lol.

Just reading through class features I sense broken. Too many heals early on, (I could get 5 in one battle with the right race), +1 to speed may seem small but it's quite a lot especially for melee strikers, shift as a minor takes thunder away from the Kobold but isn't too minor, and this jsut makes dragonborn to get hurt even more.

Make this a daily or shorten the duration:

Back To Back
Encounter, Standard Action, Weapon, Melee 1
Target: One enemy
Attack: Str vs AC Hit: 2[W] damage
After this power, you may shift one square as a free action. If you end your turn adjacent to an ally, for the remainder of the encounter you and your ally gain +1 to AC and do not grant combat advantage from flanking, if you are adjacent.

You're penalizing the rogue with this:
Aura of Action
Daily, Minor Action, Aura, Sustain Minor (1 Encounter)
Effect: Allies within a number of squares equal to your Cha modifier -1 gain combat advantage against any foe that has a lower initiative on the first round of an encounter. In addition, allies within the aura who move their speed gain a +1 bonus to attack against their target.

Uh not a weapon power and what's the target of the secondary here?:
Hellfire Breath
Daily, Primal, Blast 3
Attack: Con +2 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + con mod fire damage, and you may make a secondary attack.
Secondary Attack: Con +2 vs. Reflex
Effect: Shift two squares before using this attack.
Hit: 2d6 + con mod necrotic damage.
Special: You may subsititute the damage type for your Dragon Breath racial or class feature for either damage type of this weapon.

Agreed. Almost every power has a +something to hit. In a weapon or implement power it shouldn't happen that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiekillerninja View Post
Make this a daily or shorten the duration:

Back To Back
Encounter, Standard Action, Weapon, Melee 1
Target: One enemy
Attack: Str vs AC Hit: 2[W] damage
After this power, you may shift one square as a free action. If you end your turn adjacent to an ally, for the remainder of the encounter you and your ally gain +1 to AC and do not grant combat advantage from flanking, if you are adjacent.

You're penalizing the rogue with this:
Aura of Action
Daily, Minor Action, Aura, Sustain Minor (1 Encounter)
Effect: Allies within a number of squares equal to your Cha modifier -1 gain combat advantage against any foe that has a lower initiative on the first round of an encounter. In addition, allies within the aura who move their speed gain a +1 bonus to attack against their target.

Uh not a weapon power and what's the target of the secondary here?:
Hellfire Breath
Daily, Primal, Blast 3
Attack: Con +2 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + con mod fire damage, and you may make a secondary attack.
Secondary Attack: Con +2 vs. Reflex
Effect: Shift two squares before using this attack.
Hit: 2d6 + con mod necrotic damage.
Special: You may subsititute the damage type for your Dragon Breath racial or class feature for either damage type of this weapon.
I'll change Back to Back to 2 rounds then?

Hellfire Breath was going to be another blast attack, if that's not overpowered.

Any suggestions on Aura of Action? I'm not really trying to penalize rogues, but some overlap always happens.

What powers are you referring to as having +s they don't need? I just took a quick look through and didn't see many, other than the dragon breath which isn't a weapon or implement.

I've changed touch of vitality to the more standard 2/enc, 1/round setup. If the other features are overpowered, what specifically is overpowered, and how can I fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhntr7 View Post
What powers are you referring to as having +s they don't need? I just took a quick look through and didn't see many, other than the dragon breath which isn't a weapon or implement.
Press Forward, Determined Rush, Furious Assault, Watcher's Gambit, Truth of Battle.

Other comments: Draconic outburst is too powerful, it should be single target. The level 5 daily powers should all be attack powers. As a rule, Daily Attack powers should have some sort of lasting effect or have an effect on a miss.

Press Forward has been changed to not have the +2 to attack, Determined Rush isn't very good if you dont' get hit...and if you do it should have big payoffs. Although it adds 1[W] + str mod damage per hit...why did I add the strength mod? That is definately overpowered, lol. *goes to change it*

I should make at least one daily power for each slot with a miss effect...for those who don't plan to use the aura builds. I'll need to write that one up. Flood and Fell Swoop are also really similar...oops. >_>

Hellfire blast shouldn't have plus mod then on the secondary at least, and then it's pushing it. I'd say on aura of action just take away the -1 on combat advantage.

Back to back should be until end of next turn.

I like your auras, but aura of the cunning hunter makes shifting almost too easy. Your allies can shift, then move, allowing them to disengage every round for free. That presents a lot of opportunities for player groups to abuse the ability. At least remove the AC bonus.
In addition, I would not have racial requirement powers. Sorry, I know you're going for the whole dragonborn should be dragon shamans thing, but Draconic Resistance just really doesn't work on the whole.

However, I think you have a nice start to a decent leader class here. Just focus a little more on your class abilities with your powers.