30 Greatest D&D Modules/Adventures of all time - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

30 Greatest D&D Modules/Adventures of all time

30 Greatest D&D Modules/Adventures of all time

This was complied in Dungeon magazine a number of years ago. What I do not like is that they lump some of the choices by series and not by the individual module.

30. The Ghost Tower of Inverness (C2) by Allen Hammack
29. The Assassin's Knot (L2)
28. The Lost City (Dungeon Module, B4) by Tom Moldvay
27. U1: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh by Dave J. Brown
26. The City of Skulls (WGR6) by Carl Sargent
25. DL1: Dragons of Despair by Tracy Hickman
24. City of the Spider Queen (Dungeons & Dragons d20 3.0 Fantasy Roleplaying, Forgotten Realms Setting) by James Wyatt
23. The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (WG4) by Gary Gygax
22. S4: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth by Gary Gygax
21. Judges Guild #3: Dark Tower by Greg Geilman
20. Scourge of the Slave Lords, 1986 (A1-4)
19. Against the Cult of the Reptile God (N1) by Douglas Niles
18. Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (C1) by Harold Johnson
17. Ruins of UnderMountain (AD&D 2nd Ed. Fantasy Roleplaying, Forgotten Realms) by Ed Greenwood
16. X1: The Isle of Dread by David Cook
15. Castle Amber (Chateau D. Amberville) (Dungeons & Dragons Module X2) by Tom Moldvay
14. Dead Gods by Monte Cook
13. Dwellers of the Forbidden City (I1) by David Cook
12. The Forge of Fury by Richard Baker
11. Gates of Firestorm Peak (AD&D Player's Option Adventure) by Bruce Cordell
10. Return to the Tomb of Horrors (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Tomes) by Bruce R. Cordell
9. S2: White Plume Mountain by Lawrence Schick
8. Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil by Monte Cook
7. B2: The Keep on the Borderlands by Gary Gygax
6. Desert of Desolation (I3-5) by Tracy Hickman
5. S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks by Gary Gygax
4. The Temple of Elemental Evil (T1-4 ) by Gary Gygax
3. S1: Tomb of Horrors by Gary Gygax
2. I6: Ravenloft by Tracy Hickman
1. Queen of the Spiders (GDQ1-7) by Gary Gygax

What are your top 10 D&D Modules and Why.

Let us keep this topic to Individual Modules and not Series of Modules.

1. tomb of horrors- brilliantly written, crazy traps, beautiful artwork.
2. maure castle- amazing story, great npcs, intriguing mystery.
3. quicksilver hourglass- brilliantly written, crazy story, scary npcs.
4. the dancing hut- crazy layout, bizarre encounters, great antagonist.
5. in the dungeons of the slave lords- great plot, cool npcs, great artwork.

Only prewritten module I've ever actually played was that one with the pizza golem. I forget the title.

Interesting that Dungeon didn't toot their own horn in that list, but I suspect that that list is from long ago. I think there was another list in the last print issue of Dragon. Anyway, I'd have to nominate the following modules from the Age of Worms adventure path:

The Whispering Cairn--best 1st level dungeon evah!
The Three Faces of Evil--great 3-D battle challenges and a really, really cool maze encounter
The Champion's Belt--
The Prince of Redhand--very, very cool roleplaying-focused adventure
Into the Wormcrawl Fissure--haven't run this one yet, but I'm really looking forward to it

While Expedition to Undermountain is so unrealistically big you would never actually use it... the sheer effort put into it is enough for me to give it a thumbs up.

I'd also like to nominate Red Hand of Doom. It's kind of a super-module or mini-campaign, arranged in five chapters that are really well thought out and quite ambitious. I had a great time running it, and the final encounter will go down in my gaming group's annals as the best battle ever.

I really don't get the whole Gygax thing. I don't think his adventures were all that good as stories anyway. They're were just merciless and cruel.

I liked the War of the Spider Queen campaign for 3.5, but then again I had read the books and we had a good crew of players.

Well, Gygax was writing from a different perspective. Adventure plots were supposed to be minimal -- it was up to the players to create the story.

I do think there's a fair bit of nostalgia at work in the initial list. I mean, Ghost Tower of Inverness? Bleh.

Yeah, I think adventure-writing has changed over the years. I thought "bleh" when I saw Keep on the Borderlands. But some of those old adventure modules had reasonably interesting plots behind them--the Slavers series, for example, or the Giant-Drow series (GDQ1-7). Some of the adventures were just nasty, devious collections of traps and monsters, though.

That's why I made the nominations I did.

Nostalgia always views things in rose-tinted glasses, that's why its usually illogical and silly. However, I will admit that there is probably only one really good adventure writer on the WOTC payroll atm, and I think he's now freelancing. Logan Bonner I think is his name.