Edit History

On 4/15/2024 at 1:09 AM, tom_gore said:

As a sidenote anyone else note that every monster we fight seems to have higher modifiers than our party? +10 or higher seems to be the norm even for the "line troops". No wonder we get hit all the time and can't seem to get past their saves.

This adventure module is brutal.

You are correct about the bonuses. The standard morlocks (the ones equipped only with clubs and without spellcasting ability) are level two creatures. When I compare their stat array with the default creatures on Monster Tool, defensively they have moderate AC, moderate -1 Fortitude, moderate +1 Will, and high Reflex and Hit Points. Offensively, they have a high Attack Bonus and low +1 Strike Damage. The scavengers were level 1, engineers level 3, and cultist level 4, but they generally followed the same patterns statistically.

The party's spells have all targetted either AC or their strongest (by far) saving throw. Against your party, they are likely to hit but not do much damage. Both saving throws and damage have been made significantly worse due to my high d20 rolls for most of this level.

Also, this is in fact considered a brutal AP.

EDIT: If you choose to not pursue the morlocks, there are several rooms that you ran through but did not explore thoroughly, plus there are a few doors that were bypassed but not opened while chasing the cultist.

On 4/15/2024 at 1:09 AM, tom_gore said:

As a sidenote anyone else note that every monster we fight seems to have higher modifiers than our party? +10 or higher seems to be the norm even for the "line troops". No wonder we get hit all the time and can't seem to get past their saves.

This adventure module is brutal.

You are correct about the bonuses. The standard morlocks (the ones equipped only with clubs and without spellcasting ability) are level two creatures. When I compare their stat array with the default creatures on Monster Tool, defensively they have moderate AC, moderate -1 Fortitude, moderate +1 Will, and high Reflex and Hit Points. Offensively, they have a high Attack Bonus and low +1 Strike Damage. The scavengers are level 1, engineers level 3, and cultist level 4, but they generally follow the same patterns statistically.

The party's spells have all targetted either AC or their strongest (by far) saving throw. Against your party, they are likely to hit but not do much damage. Both saving throws and damage have been made significantly worse due to my high d20 rolls for most of this level.

Also, this is in fact considered a brutal AP.