Edit History

PixCO

PixCO

11 minutes ago, BobtheWizard said:

Thrown weapon fighting would work, but you are limited to daggers (d4 and 20/60 range) as a DEX build. It's fine. It's just not as good as taking the archery fighting style for +2 to hit and using darts. And neither is as good as using a shortbow or crossbow expert.

As far as crossbow expert, it is a great feat. That BA attack is very powerful, especially at level 1-4 if you make a variant human. At 4, you could take it, but the hand crossbow will only have a range of 30' until you take sharpshooter. It still works, you just have to carry a light crossbow for longer ranged fights.

I generally would use a longbow (shortbow for a gnome) and take sharpshooter first to get longer range and to ignore cover, but either would be a good feat. I also like taking +2 Dex at 4 and bumping my to hit, damage, and AC. But with only 2 or 3 PCs, the no penalty at close range from crossbow expert might be more important. Any of those 3 are good options.

But at level 3, shortbow is your best option. d6 damage, 80/320 range, and can still make your Gloomstalker attack in the fist round.

Yeah, don't throw daggers. It's not worth it. Throw vials of oil, holy water, glue, or other alchemy weapons available. Debuff and contain, good Support Class stuff. Darts work well too when poisoned. But it only works if the campaign has a good variety of stuff to throw.

Crossbow Expert mitigates the load time, but I'm not sure of the mechanics. Short bow it shall be!

EDIT: Argh, no. Rethought the close combat angle. I think there are ways to get that outside of CrossEx, but she's a city fighter. She'd work in close quarters most of the time. Might have to go crossbow to stay true to the concept.

PixCO

PixCO

3 minutes ago, BobtheWizard said:

Thrown weapon fighting would work, but you are limited to daggers (d4 and 20/60 range) as a DEX build. It's fine. It's just not as good as taking the archery fighting style for +2 to hit and using darts. And neither is as good as using a shortbow or crossbow expert.

As far as crossbow expert, it is a great feat. That BA attack is very powerful, especially at level 1-4 if you make a variant human. At 4, you could take it, but the hand crossbow will only have a range of 30' until you take sharpshooter. It still works, you just have to carry a light crossbow for longer ranged fights.

I generally would use a longbow (shortbow for a gnome) and take sharpshooter first to get longer range and to ignore cover, but either would be a good feat. I also like taking +2 Dex at 4 and bumping my to hit, damage, and AC. But with only 2 or 3 PCs, the no penalty at close range from crossbow expert might be more important. Any of those 3 are good options.

But at level 3, shortbow is your best option. d6 damage, 80/320 range, and can still make your Gloomstalker attack in the fist round.

Yeah, don't throw daggers. It's not worth it. Throw vials of oil, holy water, glue, or other alchemy weapons available. Debuff and contain, good Support Class stuff. Darts work well too when poisoned. But it only works if the campaign has a good variety of stuff to throw.

Crossbow Expert mitigates the load time, but I'm not sure of the mechanics. Short bow it shall be!