Edit History

PixCO

PixCO

With Darts

50 minutes ago, BobtheWizard said:

Oops. You are right. One or the other.

I don't know anything about the errata or Mearle's opinions. I think CBE should have said

• When you use the Attack action and attack with a one handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding in your other hand

I think the intent was for the hand crossbow to be a secondary weapon, but without the qualifiers it just turns it into a fast shooter requiring two hands.

Mike Mearls said the same thing. It's meant to represent someone with a loaded crossbow in their off-hand getting a free shot in. Jeremy Crawford overruled and so it's his take in the Sage Advice Compendium.

Which also answers my question on that second item interaction to load. Ammo draws are considered part of the attack, unlike pulling a melee weapon. So even if Dread Ambush requires a third bolt to be fired, it's allowed by RAW, it would seem. Neat, but converting Crossbow Expert into Throwing Expert still makes more sense to me. Not Thrown Arms Master, but something like:

• All thrown weapons may be considered Finesse Weapons
  • Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn't impose disadvantage on your thrown attack rolls
  • You may apply your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack when using Two-Weapon Fighting if the bonus attack is made with a thrown weapon

Thrown Weapon Fighting already grants +2 damage to all thrown attacks. Throwing Expert with darts would provide 1d4+5 twice a turn and still play well with Hunter's Mark, Foe Slayer, and Dread Ambush. Damage range is 6-9 per hit, with the hand crossbow ranging 5-10. 4-9 without the +1 enchantment. It's an extra 3 1/2 pounds per 20 rounds of ammo, but that shouldn't matter much. Speaking of which...

Three bolts per round would exhaust her ammo case pretty quickly. @SMARTAgentKC -- Since I've established that Yopine's father was an accomplished Artificer in hiding, now blackmailed into working for her brother, would it be possible to say he layered a Repeating Shot Infusion into the hand crossbow that he was planning as a surprise? It could be found when she picks up CBE, and I'll have to read up on Attunement to see how that works.

It's a 2nd Level ability in terms of Artificing, but I'm not sure how rare it would be in a magic item held by a 4th level Gloom Stalker.

I'm also very tempted to request a simulation where she can try that home brewed Throwing Expert/Thrown Weapon Fighting style. Would you be open to that?

PixCO

PixCO

3 minutes ago, BobtheWizard said:

Oops. You are right. One or the other.

I don't know anything about the errata or Mearle's opinions. I think CBE should have said

• When you use the Attack action and attack with a one handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding in your other hand

I think the intent was for the hand crossbow to be a secondary weapon, but without the qualifiers it just turns it into a fast shooter requiring two hands.

Mike Mearls said the same thing. It's meant to represent someone with a loaded crossbow in their off-hand getting a free shot in. Jeremy Crawford overruled and so it's his take in the Sage Advice Compendium.

Which also answers my question on that second item interaction to load. Ammo draws are considered part of the attack, unlike pulling a melee weapon. So even if Dread Ambush requires a third bolt to be fired, it's allowed by RAW, it would seem. Neat, but converting Crossbow Expert into Throwing Expert still makes more sense to me. Not Thrown Arms Master, but something like:

• All thrown weapons may be considered Finesse Weapons
  • Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn't impose disadvantage on your thrown attack rolls
  • You may apply your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack when using Two-Weapon Fighting if the bonus attack is made with a thrown weapon

Thrown Weapon Fighting already grants +2 damage to all thrown attacks. Throwing Expert would provide 1d4+5 twice a turn and still play well with Hunter's Mark, Foe Slayer, and Dread Ambush. Damage range is 6-9 per hit, with the hand crossbow ranging 5-10. 4-9 without the +1 enchantment. It's an extra 3 1/2 pounds per 20 rounds of ammo, but that shouldn't matter much. Speaking of which...

Three bolts per round would exhaust her ammo case pretty quickly. @SMARTAgentKC -- Since I've established that Yopine's father was an accomplished Artificer in hiding, now blackmailed into working for her brother, would it be possible to say he layered a Repeating Shot Infusion into the hand crossbow that he was planning as a surprise? It could be found when she picks up CBE, and I'll have to read up on Attunement to see how that works.

It's a 2nd Level ability in terms of Artificing, but I'm not sure how rare it would be in a magic item held by a 4th level Gloom Stalker.

I'm also very tempted to request a simulation where she can try that home brewed Throwing Expert/Thrown Weapon Fighting style. Would you be open to that?