Edit History

OgreWattage

OgreWattage

Forgive the grammar, I have to read it and, then write it out again, and write out some checks. A chunk is based off of old documentaries I heard about castle defense systems, and another is me just vibing. I long time ago I made a discord for my own World that is broken down into ages, and each age has a different tech level, with the last one being a starfinder/shadowrun kinda timeframe.

Caer Crugog

Where the seven mapped roads of the Underdark section referred to as "The True Dark" converge and pass to the section primely controlled by the Dwarves known as, "The Windy Dark" stands one of the oldest Dwarven forts, stands: Caer Crugog. The fort has many designs that went into its creation, natural paths were bent, sealed or narrowed to make the distance between intersections, and paths between the various roads, hundreds of miles away from the fort. This design was created to break an armies supply lines, and choking the hordes the fort faced in its early days. The seven roads first meet The Drochaid Fala, the seven great bridges that act as extended killing fields, the shortest being the lowest level, while the longest being the the highest as the top terrace is the furthest from the other side all crossing Fala's fall, a cavernous miles long canyon that torches vanish into before they hit the ground. rumored to drop directly into the elemental plain of earth's acidic ocean. The Fort itself was built on a hard slope, with Caer Crugog closer resembling 7 forts built directly on top of each other in great terraces. Each level is referred to by thier level mostly with thier full names being; Caer Crugog-Ze being the lowest level, Caer Crugog-Nu, Caer Crugog-Gem, Caer Crugog-Ramekh, Caer Crugog-Gamekh. Caer Crugog-Ges and finally Caer Crugog-haded being the highest. (After the hyphen is a number in the Dwarf language) The design goes further as each fort pains itself to be shorter then the fort behind it, with retractable small bridges connecting them all, internal water wheels running off the many rivers and lakes that were redirected from higher levels powering them, whle the wheels themselves designed to carry arrows and supplies to the top of each constantly; the fins being large enough for two dwarves or a barrel. The other way to the top of each tower are staircases that would make Novice stone smiths rip their hair out, Masters cry and Grand Master Castle Builders proud, as the patterns mixed with the cross hatching gashes on the right hand ascending side, as well as the ceilings of these stairwells, as the gashes are designed to catch the blade of invaders running up the stairs, while the stuttering pattern of the Stairs matches the rhythm of an ancient dwarf lullaby with each stairwell matching a verse in the song, with the first verse starting in Caer Crugog-Nu's towers, the last one ending in Haded's tower. Ensuring those that don't know the song might have trouble rushing up the stairs to again slow down invaders. The Towers have one last secret, water can be redirected to flood from the tower of each fort, independently of the others with an enchantment , that can be triggered with a single secret word entitled to only the commander of the induvial levels, when spoken by a dwarf who has the highest military rank in the fort causes the towers to open like a flower, exposing the stairs on the inside, while the stairs themselves cork screwing downwards, taking that high ground of a fallen fort out of the fight.

The Drochaid Fala also has their own defenses, not speaking to the separate waterfall towers. The bridges have small railings, close to knee high, but not meant to protect, but meant to channel water as just like the towers them self, water can be redirected to flow across each bridge, with the higher bridges having spouts to redirect water that was now useless to them to the next lower bridge, but besides flooding the water itself is charged with electric runes up and down each bridge, cuasing the water to not only to be a hazard for walking, but for hazing and damaging any would be invaders. The last defensive measure are the Barb-Balls. Large balls of metal wire, designed to expand to the size of a horse drawn carriage, and contract to the size of a 5 lb canon ball. Made of a multitude interlocking rings, that can be attached to a Grenard hopper; a clockwork barrel of grenades' that ejects a grenade with every rotation, lastly, each bridge has small catches on every side, designed to catch the barb ball, its weight, and momentum yanks the hook and their connected thin blades of razor wire and set up to swing at thigh Hight (for a dwarf) just above the lower bridges, while the expanding and contracting design allows for ease of retrieval, as each blade rope chain can be pulled up and threw the inner bridge channels, taking the blade barb back into the base to be reloaded and set right back out.

1. The fortification also includes a regiment of iron Golems with 21 being the on duty golems while others are generally going threw upkeep, and all are well tended, thoroughly controlled with a team of 50 mages set up for the golems, 7 of the iron Golems are Archers and sit on the terraced buildings, the other 14 have a mixture of spears and shields. While the archers stand Next to the various siege engines, on the terraces the iron soldiers stand by the various entrances. The terraced floors themselves are each a fort in their own rights having a parade ground, officer quarters, barracks, hospital central command center, various guard houses, repair and main forges mess halls and the typical fair along with brass tubes for communication that travel under the grounds and reinforced to stand against if the connecting tunnels need to be collapsed, further then just their normal field seal , which involves a large iron beam that is stuck between a internal compartment and the top of the sliding stone doors, and, these seals are air tight to account for the flooding that the whole of the fort can go threw. How the flooding works is a separate matter altogether as a river flows over and out into Fala's water spout, and into the void, in times of seige the water is redirected to flow down and across the bridges and have ended fights before they have begun, the same act as redirecting the water to the bridge can be used to seal the forts against each other, if not being redirected to power various parts, the water comes out of a spout under the fortress, with the tunnel being gated thrice over with a permanent wall of force enforced here, while the flowing water is charged before it leaves the spout as well as the entirety of the iron mouth of the spout is electrified and will release a charge on any non grounded Individual.

The 7 bridges also have the great wheel towers, towers that are nearly forts upon them selves, set up on either side of the sets of bridges . These towers consist of 5 rows of 7 chambers that are connected to the center of the wheels on either side. with one row is always hidden as these wheel are always connected to all levels, with a command chamber to to communicate to all 35 chambers ,with internal brass tubes for just that. With each wing of 7 chambers can have any where between 25 man to 80 men., with 7 of these 35 chambers being where these personal stay, sleep and eat, but just like the fort itself the wheels can be sealed by the personal from all levels, and if the last fort is sealed from the wheel the wheel can rotate to separate rarely used stations that has enough supplies for the occupants to grab some materials and retreat, but should only be used if the forts are lasts completely. These wheel towers in times of siege also act as a landing spot for Owl mounted dwarves. These war wheels as the dwarves who live here call it, along with ballista, catapults, scorpions, trebuchets, have a mass of rifles and mounted cross bows that can be used if if reloading needs to happens. and water can be directed in clear waterfalls from above said wheels to cut off enemy fire between reloads, orcs who have tried to take the fort multiple times knows that if it clear expect pain and projectiles.

TLDR Seven layered fort with ferris wheel defense towers powered by water and dwarf Spit and spite.

I would overtime like to add my custom classes, the breakdown of my world, and custom weapons. its a duanting task for the whole thing, but baby steps get it done, and Im particularly proud of this fort. Not the grammer, or the hip hopping around. But the picture of it when the whole thing is absorbed into that inner eye.TLDR Seven layered fort with ferris wheel defense towers

Edit: 10/20/23 did a rewrite of the first two paragraphs all together, to change it from personal notes to a legitimite description. I still need to write out DCs for the stairs and reflex checks on the brab balls. At some point I need to detail the dwarf city behind the forts who rose up in the construction of the fort.

OgreWattage

OgreWattage

Forgive the grammar, I have to read it and, then write it out again, and write out some checks. A chunk is based off of old documentaries I heard about castle defense systems, and another is me just vibing. I long time ago I made a discord for my own World that is broken down into ages, and each age has a different tech level, with the last one being a starfinder/shadowrun kinda timeframe.

Caer Crugog

Where the seven mapped roads of the Underdark section referred to as "The True Dark" converge and pass to the section primely controlled by the Dwarves known as, "The Windy Dark" stands one of the oldest Dwarven forts, stands: Caer Crugog. The fort has many designs that went into its creation, natural paths were bent, sealed or narrowed to make the distance between intersections, and paths between the various roads, hundreds of miles away from the fort. This design was created to break an armies supply lines, and choking the hordes the fort faced in its early days. The seven roads first meet The Drochaid Fala, the seven great bridges that act as extended killing fields, the shortest being the lowest level, while the longest being the the highest as the top terrace is the furthest from the other side all crossing Fala's fall, a cavernous miles long canyon that torches vanish into before they hit the ground. rumored to drop directly into the elemental plain of earth's acidic ocean. The Fort itself was built on a hard slope, with Caer Crugog closer resembling 7 forts built directly on top of each other in great terraces. Each level is referred to by thier level mostly with thier full names being; Caer Crugog-Ze being the lowest level, Caer Crugog-Nu, Caer Crugog-Gem, Caer Crugog-Ramekh, Caer Crugog-Gamekh. Caer Crugog-Ges and finally Caer Crugog-haded being the highest. (After the hyphen is a number in the Dwarf language) The design goes further as each fort pains itself to be shorter then the fort behind it, with retractable small bridges connecting them all, internal water wheels running off the many rivers and lakes that were redirected from higher levels powering them, whle the wheels themselves designed to carry arrows and supplies to the top of each constantly; the fins being large enough for two dwarves or a barrel. The other way to the top of each tower are staircases that would make Novice stone smiths rip their hair out, Masters cry and Grand Master Castle Builders proud, as the patterns mixed with the cross hatching gashes on the right hand ascending side, as well as the ceilings of these stairwells, as the gashes are designed to catch the blade of invaders running up the stairs, while the stuttering pattern of the Stairs matches the rhythm of an ancient dwarf lullaby with each stairwell matching a verse in the song, with the first verse starting in Caer Crugog-Nu's towers, the last one ending in Haded's tower. Ensuring those that don't know the song might have trouble rushing up the stairs to again slow down invaders. The Towers have one last secret, water can be redirected to flood from the tower of each fort, independently of the others with an enchantment , that can be triggered with a single secret word entitled to only the commander of the induvial levels, when spoken by a dwarf who has the highest military rank in the fort causes the towers to open like a flower, exposing the stairs on the inside, while the stairs themselves cork screwing downwards, taking that high ground of a fallen fort out of the fight.

The Drochaid Fala also has their own defenses, not speaking to the separate waterfall towers. The bridges have small railings, close to knee high, but not meant to protect, but meant to channel water as just like the towers them self, water can be redirected to flow across each bridge, with the higher bridges having spouts to redirect water that was now useless to them to the next lower bridge, but besides flooding the water itself is charged with electric runes up and down each bridge, cuasing the water to not only to be a hazard for walking, but for hazing and damaging any would be invaders. The last defensive measure are the Barb-Balls. Large balls of metal wire, designed to expand to the size of a horse drawn carriage, and contract to the size of a 5 lb canon ball. Made of a multitude interlocking rings, that can be attached to a Grenard hopper; a clockwork barrel of grenades' that ejects a grenade with every rotation, lastly, each bridge has small catches on every side, designed to catch the barb ball, its weight, and momentum yanks the hook and their connected thin blades of razor wire and set up to swing at thigh Hight (for a dwarf) just above the lower bridges, while the expanding and contracting design allows for ease of retrieval, as each blade rope chain can be pulled up and threw the inner bridge channels, taking the blade barb back into the base to be reloaded and set right back out.

1. The fortification also includes a regiment of iron Golems with 21 being the on duty golems while others are generally going threw upkeep, and all are well tended, thoroughly controlled with a team of 50 mages set up for the golems, 7 of the iron Golems are Archers and sit on the terraced buildings, the other 14 have a mixture of spears and shields. While the archers stand Next to the various siege engines, on the terraces the iron soldiers stand by the various entrances. The terraced floors themselves are each a fort in their own rights having a parade ground, officer quarters, barracks, hospital central command center, various guard houses, repair and main forges mess halls and the typical fair along with brass tubes for communication that travel under the grounds and reinforced to stand against if the connecting tunnels need to be collapsed, further then just their normal field seal , which involves a large iron beam that is stuck between a internal compartment and the top of the sliding stone doors, and, these seals are air tight to account for the flooding that the whole of the fort can go threw. How the flooding works is a separate matter altogether as a river flows over and out into Fala's water spout, and into the void, in times of seige the water is redirected to flow down and across the bridges and have ended fights before they have begun, the same act as redirecting the water to the bridge can be used to seal the forts against each other, if not being redirected to power various parts, the water comes out of a spout under the fortress, with the tunnel being gated thrice over with a permanent wall of force enforced here, while the flowing water is charged before it leaves the spout as well as the entirety of the iron mouth of the spout is electrified and will release a charge on any non grounded Individual.

The 7 bridges also have the great wheel towers, towers that are nearly forts upon them selves, set up on either side of the sets of bridges . These towers consist of 5 rows of 7 chambers that are connected to the center of the wheels on either side. with one row is always hidden as these wheel are always connected to all levels, with a command chamber to to communicate to all 35 chambers ,with internal brass tubes for just that. With each wing of 7 chambers can have any where between 25 man to 80 men., with 7 of these 35 chambers being where these personal stay, sleep and eat, but just like the fort itself the wheels can be sealed by the personal from all levels, and if the last fort is sealed from the wheel the wheel can rotate to separate rarely used stations that has enough supplies for the occupants to grab some materials and retreat, but should only be used if the forts are lasts completely. These wheel towers in times of siege also act as a landing spot for Owl mounted dwarves. These war wheels as the dwarves who live here call it, along with ballista, catapults, scorpions, trebuchets, have a mass of rifles and mounted cross bows that can be used if if reloading needs to happens. and water can be directed in clear waterfalls from above said wheels to cut off enemy fire between reloads, orcs who have tried to take the fort multiple times knows that if it clear expect pain and projectiles.

TLDR Seven layered fort with ferris wheel defense towers powered by water and dwarf Spit and spite.

I would overtime like to add my custom classes, the breakdown of my world, and custom weapons. its a duanting task for the whole thing, but baby steps get it done, and Im particularly proud of this fort. Not the grammer, or the hip hopping around. But the picture of it when the whole thing is absorbed into that inner eye.TLDR Seven layered fort with ferris wheel defense towers

OgreWattage

OgreWattage

Caer Crugog

Caer Crugog, with the distance between these paths can be measured in days and months if not for the fort itself connecting them, the distance alone has stopped many a seiges as supply lines for the attacking force dwindling away before a real dent can be made,  while the design is of  7 forts terraced atop each other,  with each roof being taller then the one in front of it for the achers, and  each stairwell's height pattern of the induvial steps are based off a dwarf drinking song, the longer the pause, the higher the step. A way to give thanks to the hero's of the past as well as the varying heights can throw off strides the same goes to the low dwarf designed   ceilings with deep crosshatching on the ascending right hand and ceilings meant to catch invaders blades  Each subsection is closed on three sides by the next subsection while the remaining wall is where the bridge connects and grooved to allow free flow if one of its most drastic defense tactics, flooding the forts various sections. The walls even have three rows of spikes hooking  down the  wall on both sides.

Caer Crugog has many other defensive parts unlike any other fort, another one that has been copied by those of less craftsmanship then dwarves is the Tumble Barbs, a large ball of barbed chains that have various weights, and swinging pendulums filling this chain ball with momentum to keep it spinning, combined with a few key joints that allow it to fold over units, and beats of burden alike to get the next row of the formation. Lastly these roving barbed chain orbs have slots a total of eight slots for a pay load of gun powder, Oils, large metal barbs or if a particularly crafty guard is on watch a mass of gernados that with each rotation pops 1 or 2 grenades rattling to the ground off pulling the pin in the way out, and more often then not a mixture of any of these plus more. The Barbed chain orbs are recognized by many to the point where Orc units will use different shields and hooked poll arms to try and direct the orb and it's designed momentum in hopefully a safer direction. But even if the ball falls over the edge of a bridge danger is not threw as each of these are chained to to the bottom of the bridges themselves and going over the edge effectively it makes them into a large wrecking ball made of spikes. They also can be retracted back into the fort, as the design allows the chained orbs to be folded up and pull threw the small water channels that flow out of the bridges.

1. The fortification also includes a regiment of iron Golems with 21 being the on duty golems while others are generally 7nder repair and all are well tended, thoroughly controlled with a team of 50 mages set up for the golems, 7 of the iron Golems are Archers and sit on the terraced buildings, the other 14 have a mixture of spears and shields. While the archers stand Next to the various siege engines, on the terrances the iron soldiers stand by the various entrances. The terraced floors themselves are each a fort in their own rights having a parade ground, officer quarters, barracks, hospital central command center, various guard houses, repair and main forges mess halls and the typical fair along with brass tubes for communication that travel under the grounds and reinforced to stand against if the connecting tunnels need to be collapsed, further then just their normal field seal , which involves a large iron beam that is stuck between a internal compartment and the top of the sliding stone doors, and, these seals are air tight to account for the flooding that the whole of the fort can go threw. How the flooding works is a separate matter altogether as a river flows over and out into Fala's water spout, and into the void, in times of seige the water is redirected to flow down and across the bridges and have ended fights before they have begun, the same act as redirecting the water to the bridge can be used to seal the forts against each other, if not being redirected to power various parts, the water comes out of a spout under the fortress, with the tunnel being gated thrice over with a permanent wall of force enforced here, while the flowing water is charged before it leaves the spout as well as the entirety of the iron mouth of the spout is electrified and will release a charge on any non grounded Individual.

The 7 bridges also have the great wheel towers, towers that are nearly forts upon them selves, set up on either side of the sets of bridges . These towers consist of 5 rows of 7 chambers that are connected to the center of the wheels on either side. with one row is always hidden as these wheel are allways connected to all levels, with a command chamber to to communicate to all 35 chambers ,with internal brass tubes for jst that. With each wing of 7 chambers can have any where between 25 man to 80 men., with 7 of these 35 chambers being where these personal stay, sleep and eat, but just like the fort itself the wheels can be sealed by the personal from all levels, and if the last fort is sealed from the wheel the wheel can rotat to separate rarily used stations that has enough suppiles for the occupents to grab some materials and retreat, but should only be used if the forts are losts completely. These wheel towers in times of seige also act as a landing spot for Owl mounted dwarves. These war wheels as the dwarves who live here call it, along with ballista, catipults, scropions, trebuchetes, have a mass of rifles and mounted cross bows that can be used if if reloading needs to happens. and water can be directed in clear waterfalls from above said wheels to cut off enemy fire between reloads, orcs who have tried tot ake the fort mutiple times knows that if it clear expect pain and projectiles.