Edit History

Cirlot

Cirlot

Neve

Neve Nevergreen - Smallfolk Rogue

"There's danger in ascribing purpose to circumstance, but I agree - "  Neve ran her fingers across the blade and pommel of the danger as she scanned the papers from behind and beside and beneath Val's elbow, the spatter of cold wet and drip making the smallfolk more than a little glad that it had been the druid that had braved the muck this time around.

"- the facts do seem to suggest something.  Or many things.  At the very least that the treaty was answered poorly; if there be law of guestright for folk, amongst peoples and those that govern so to stands the right of parley.  To kill a messenger is . . ."  Neve took in a breath, shook her head, surprised at the brazenness of it despite it all.

"That said, we might be seeing an alliance forcibly prevented.  I can't think of an easier way to prevent common cause than to make such a courier disappear before delivering their missive.  And this - "  Neve tapped the blade.  " - is an assassins weapon.  Magicked to purpose in fact: when used from stealth it would double the killing force of a strike in unskilled hands.  In mine or Edgewick's it would triple the heft of the blow."

"Useful, if we intend to deal with the Derro by stealth.  Though the treaty might serve us as well - could we alter it, perchance?  If so we might have means to force them to converse rather than putting the matter straight to arms."  At the dubious look of her companions she sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose and raising a hand in surrender at her own naivete.

"I am aware 'tis unlikely, but to argue it the messenger was killed from behind.  That suggests no more stomach for open confrontation than we have which might give us room to ruse and work if we present our case with forceful diplomacy.  Maybe.   Or - " at this she eyes the knife somewheres between warily and hungrily" - we'll fall back to the the blade in the dark, make safe the underhalls that way."

Out of Character

I'm assuming that between Neve's Read Magic and her Magic User ability to use items she can sus out the dagger without much difficulty.

Cirlot

Cirlot

Neve

Neve Nevergreen - Smallfolk Rogue

"There's danger in ascribing purpose to circumstance, but I agree - "  Neve ran her fingers across the blade and pommel of the danger as she scanned the papers from behind and beside and beneath Val's elbow, the spatter of cold wet and drip making the smallfolk more than a little glad that it had been the druid that had braved the muck this time around.

"- the facts do seem to suggest something.  Or many things.  At the very least that the treaty was answered poorly; if there be law of guestright for folk, amongst peoples and those that govern so to stands the right of parley.  To kill a messenger is . . ."  Neve took in a breath, shook her head, surprised at the brazenness of it despite it all.

"That said, we might be seeing an alliance forcibly prevented.  I can't think of an easier way to prevent common cause than to make such a courier disappear before delivering their missive.  And this - "  Neve tapped the blade.  " - is an assassins weapon.  Magicked to purpose in fact: when used from stealth it would double the killing force of a strike in unskilled hands.  In mine or Edgewick's it would triple the heft of the blow."

"Useful, if we intend to deal with the Derro by stealth.  Though the treaty might serve us as well - could we alter it, perchance?  If so we might have means to force them to converse rather than putting the matter straight to arms."  At the dubious look of her companions she sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose and raising a hand in surrender at her own naivete.

"I am aware 'tis unlikely, but to argue it the messenger was killed from behind.  That suggests no more stomach for open confrontation than we have which might give us room to ruse and work if we present our case with forceful diplomacy.  Maybe.   Or - " at this she eyes the knife somewheres between warily and hungrily" - we'll fall back to the the blade in the dark, make safe the underhalls that way."