Book 1, Part 3: Threat of the Red Jills

ripleycat

It is a somber flock of Ravens that eventually disperses from the ruined house of the Lavigne family, minus one. Beq is obviously shaken by the ruins, doubtful about something, running through personal thoughts they decline to share. The gnome leaves by themselves, taking a different path than Star's winding back-alley return to the cofeeshop.

Those who return to the Wasp Nest are greeted with a funereal dirge, played on warbling panpipes, echoing from deeper within the rooms and tunnels. Now matter how deep you go, the source eludes, seeming to echo around you, first from one corner, then another. The Ravens are growing ever shorter on those who were there in the very beginning, but the deadman - Guy, now?, Star, Kyla and Rexus recognize the eerie and unwelcoming instrument: The same music that led them down the stairs into the hidden chambers below the Fair Fortune Livery.

"Where in the nine hells is that tune coming from!?"

The assorted recruits and refugees staying in the old Bellflower quarters are handling the ambiance with mixed grace. Laria waves you into the safehouse with an "It's always ****ing something" half-grin. "I like it. It's haunting, like any good tune on the pipes should be. Old halfling song, makin' me nostalgic. I'm just a bit worried we're actually being haunted. We've searched this place from top to bottom, nothing. You told me the tale, but did you ever actually see anyone but shit-devils and grimples?"

"No, no. Just a little... fort?, built around a tiny bed, but it looked like it had been abandoned for just as long as the rest of the place. And the mad scratchings from whoever tried summoning the lemures... Did something follow us?" Rexus is more perplexed than worried.

"Our musician keeps sneaking around, I think? I've heard it coming from every room. I don't think this is a ghost. It feels like an annoying prank, but it's not Vendalfek. He went out with you, right?"

"Not me!" The faerie dragon sheds his glamour with a trill. "Do you think it's the one who hurt Treep? The saboteur!"

"Mm. If they are, they've changed their... tune. Someone swapped my salt and sugar in the pantry, and spilled ink where Tybalt would track it all over the floors. He looks like he's got little black boots on now. A bit different from attempted murder."

OOC

We're not just narratively taking a breather. This is also Downtime, mechanically, for the purposes of any retraining, crafting, buying and selling, researching, etc, you might wish to do.

spacer.pngTemperance - Character Sheet

AC: 19 Fort: +6 Ref: +10 Will: +4

HP: 24/24 Rebel Points: 3/3 | Perception: +6

Ammunition: 16/20 (40 Reserve) | Alchemy Prepared | Conditions

The departure of a certain blue gnome was not lost on Temperance as she followed what remained of the Ravens back into the wasp nest. Listening to the conversation that unfolded, the tiefling pursed her lips, trailing fingers along a railing as she mused.

"Sounds fey." Was all she said about the topic as the others milled about. The arson sites were investigated, and while it left more inquisitive minds more questions than answers, the task itself was completed. Yellow eyes casually glanced towards each occupant in turn as Temperance slowly started to make her way to the stairs up...

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

1689204652787.png.1171a71b77f17a6fe33d763e80a3c0aa.pngKjersti Volden

AC: 19 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7
HP: 24/24 | Focus: 0/1 | Hero: 0/3 | Perception: +5
Conditions

Kjersti was quiet the whole winding walk back, bringing up the rear with both hammers in tow - the Falco's family heirloom tucked awkwardly through her belt and her own long-handled own propped over a shoulder. Whatever conversations passed between the others ahead of her were lost on her, or disregarded. The recovering of ciphers and ledgers and letters seemed to pique Rexus' interest - and maybe in the long run, there was something valuable to be drawn from the doings of the long-dead Silver Ravens - but it did not feel like it alleviated any pressure or give them any clear guidance for the Right Now. What she now dwelt upon, looking ahead at the shambling figure ahead, was beyond the secrecy of clandestine organizations and the movements of agents against in the dark.

The nursery...

The dog...

Kjersti knelt at the open mouth of the trapdoor that they had so cleverly and carefully set in the dirt floor of the barn. They had extended beneath and supported the structure above as they went, creating a meeting place of fellow worshipers of Milani - it's what they folks in the city were doing, they were told. And they were all young and foolish enough to do it, thinking themselves an active part of something so far away. There were no plots or subterfuges, no grand schemes to take on their oppressors, just people discontent with the ever-tightening noose they heard about in Kintargo, and the strain they felt as rural folk trying to maintain their way of life in the outskirts. One might even have considered them a harmless club, if not for their choice in 'illegal' deity to revere. In a way, it made it that much more exciting and dangerous... They had no idea.

In the hole beneath her, the bodies of her friends and neighbors were strewn about each other, the door torn off its hinges and a note stuck in the wood with a dagger. 'You made me do this' it had said, in the distinctly terrible handwriting of her brother. He had been one of the first to join their group and the first to become disenchanted with its impotence... and now had chosen power over hope, over family. She should have been in that hole and she was forever uncertain if he had spared her, or just missed her. It was an answer she swore to wring from his neck, if she ever found him again. And though she was not necessarily thirsty for blood, she wouldn't let anyone stop her, not even Maria.

Kjersti looked up at her friend and mentor, streaks of tears carved through the dust and dirt on her cheeks, and her eyes flash with intent...

Temperance turns to find Kjersti sitting on the stairs going back up into Laria's coffee shop, expression darkened and dour as the others speak of phantom pipes and pranksters and grimples. The Falco's hammer lays across her lap, her own discarded somewhere upstairs. In her hands is a small shard of wood, blue paint and half of a white flower still visible beneath a layer of soot. On the steps belong, between her heavy boots, is the bag of silver she had already offered the blonde woman. When she looks up at Temperance, the frown on her face is not for her, but for everything closing in on them. Gently, her thumb strokes across the remains of a child's nursery.

"I ain't lookin' to force you to do beyond what you're willin'," Kjersti says quietly. "You seen hardships I can't fathom and see 'em creepin' after you into this city, too. This whole thing has been eye-openin' for me, cause I'm just from the farmlands out there. I had no idea." It may or may not be an admission of being in over their heads, but it does not seem to deter her resolve. "I came here cause my brother murdered my friends, and shoulda done me too. I came here because I wanted to take 'im home and string 'im up for what he did. And then... then I saw what his kind are willin' to do. - what they are goin' to do to folks, here - and I can't let that happen, I just can't. You asked me why I shouldn't just leave... It's because I can't. I won't." Kjersti's knuckles are white on the grip of the hammer and she softly exhales the built-up emotion in her chest.

"I got a lot to learn here, and I'm gonna need people - good people - who can help me do that. You're good people, Temperance... and I want you to stay. Maybe not for them... maybe not for a cause... but maybe for me." Perhaps it's not much of a negotiation, but it's from the heart.

Edited by Fletcher (see edit history)

Maria Callus

spacer.pngMaria Callus — Human Monk (medic)

The noisy hideout

Maria was not present for Kjersti's scene with Temperance, and probably it was good she wasn't. Not that she didn't support Kjersti's vendetta, but she'd raised BOTH of the children, she'd changed her brother's diapers for devil's sake! She was here to look after Kjersti, watch her back but also bring Erick back. The stringing up part was where she had some difficulties, but they'd cross that bridge when they came to it.

Instead she was much more motivated to spend time with Rexus, helping as she could though she was no scholar, and mostly trying to track down that thrice damned music!

"Can you see anything, Vendelfek? You can turn invisible, surely you must be able to see other invisible things as well! Can you hunt it? There is some enrichment activity for you! I find it hard to believe that we have two invisible saboteurs, one a prankster and one more nefarious. Surely it's all the same individual who sometimes enjoys harmless pranks and sometimes more ruthless fun?" she asked pleading with the dragon to locate the musician for them.

Mechanics

Action 1:
Action 2:
Action 3:

jnqs2g7.png

Dead Guy - Character Sheet

checked-shield.svgKAC: 19/18 Fort: +10 Ref: +5 Will: +6
health-normal.svg HP: 31/40 THP: 0/6 Hero: 1/3 | awareness.svg Perception: +6

The corpse shambled stolidly into the hideout once they returned. If it had any further thoughts about what had been uncovered in the Lavigne home, it was disinclined to try and articulate them. Nothing truly new or out of character for it, all told but truths had been stumbled into.

The dead to not get up and seek out revenge from ordinary, pedestrian circumstances. Even most tragedies do not provoke vengeful revenants. If they did, cities would be choked with the unquiet dead.

As with most occasions when the corpse decided to be present when there was not an active attempt at harming the House of Thrune's grip on the city, it simply found an out of the way corner and settled in to loom there. Perhaps not a comforting presence but an expected... and overlooked one.

Edited by Mister Doctor (see edit history)

Ammunition: 20/20 (40 Reserve) | Alchemy Prepared | Conditions

Stopping dead in her tracks, the blonde tiefling looked up at where Kjersti was sitting, a brow raised as yellow eyes coolly surveyed what was blocking her path. Her expression unchanged, but the redhead would note that she wasn't being defiant...Temperance was listening. Intently.

For a lingering moment, there was an intense silence between the two, as the tiefling worked in her mind what her response was going to be. "...Unshakeable resolve..."  Was the first thing from her lips, followed by a heavy breath as her stance relaxed, shoulders slouching momentarily.

"...You're really intent on this, aren't you. You're willing to put yourself on the line, for them?  These so-called Ravens?" She ground her teeth as she fought back her reaction, her voice raising to a contained shout. "You do realize they don't know what they're doing right? They are children playing heroes, thinking that things will go the right way because they have the hope and happy thoughts to think so. You and I are well aware that doesn't produce results, and to this point it has been through the efforts of others that they've accomplished a thing. Anything!"

Taking a deep breath, she calmed herself, hand tightly gripping the strap on her shoulder holding her rifle. A long moment, brow heavily furrowed in thought as she glanced back up at Kjersti, temperament calming. "I won't fight for lost causes. So I'm not staying here for them. But you're the only person that has bothered to see me for me. So if I stay, it will be for you. No one else."

Taking a few steps, the tiefling went up to where Kjersti's level was. Turning, she sat down on the step next to her, tail flicking out behind her as she rested her elbows on her knees with a sigh. "If I am going to stay...what I have won't be enough. I'll need to get to work...use what I learned from my past to arm my future..."

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Conditions

Kjersti stifles a smile at those first words because she's had twenty-odd years of being a stubborn nuisance to everyone around her. But even though Temperance is saying so with her own amusement, she remains stern but receptive to the tiefling's following concerns. Piercing blue eyes look past the blonde at the hodgepodge gathering of 'followers' that have accumulated in the Wasp Nest. Only a small portion were prepared for any sort of conflict, but all were here willingly to do what they could. Perhaps this little group of people couldn't dream of taking on Thrune himself and winning... working alone like some little Cell of Milani-worshipers in a hole beneath a barn... but they didn't have to be alone. "I know it... and I am," she answers slowly but firmly, feeling as though she can still hear the echoes of Temperance's raised voice coming back from the deep corners of the hideout.

"I ain't puttin' fool's hope on the shoulders of these folks alone. Hell, you're right that half 'em are children. But that's the thing... even the children ain't safe. We seen it tonight. And if there are gonna be children, hidin' or fightin' or whatever, I'd give my fuckin' life to protect 'em." Kjersti's tone is not raised nor necessarily inspired, but it has conviction. She looks out at the young avian sisters... Star... imagines the brave eyes of that half-orc girl from the salt pit... The smoldering desire for revenge in Forvian and Morgar... playful Vendalfek and all of his lost friends... and all the others who have been touched, nay damaged, by Thrune and his regime. Could she lead these people? Maybe. Would she try? Absolutely.

Everything in Kjersti wants to wrap an arm around Temperance's shoulders when she comes and sits down next to her, but she refrains. "I don't wanna do this 'them' thing no more. It's Us. Me, all'a them. We're the Ravens, an' anyone who wants to find hope in here is, too. I don' give a fuck about bird knickknacks or prophecies that some gots an' some don't. About who's been the bravest or the longest or the loyalest. Don't matter to me. The only way this works is Together." She turns her head to look at the blonde tiefling for a moment, thoughtfully. "An' if you're just here for me, that's fine too. I'm happy with that. I'm gonna need the help." Of all of them, besides maybe Maria's chiding and knowing her history, Temperance has the balls to make her answer hard questions and keep her honest. She can come across harsh, but Kjersti knows there's more behind it.

"An' my first priority - aside from gettin' that damn windpipe to shut it cause it's scarin' the kids - is the most dangerous woman I ever met." The twitch of a smile tugs at the corner of her mouth. Temperance's talents have been on full display from the beginning. "What can I do to help you succeed here? What d'you need for your work? Rexus! A moment?" Kjersti calls for the man to join them. She has clearly figured that Temperance needs either particular tools or a workspace to craft what she needs to maintain her firearm.

spacer.pngEven without a defined 'mission' to work towards, it's an exceptionally eventful few days as the Ravens rest, re-equip, and recover. Or try to rest, at any rate.

Everyone is "officially" made a Silver Raven, even if it's not any sort of grand ceremony. Beq's big, gleaming raven, Moonfeather, arrives bearing a small note, confirming the gnome's decision to leave the group, and Cheliax, altogether. "There are many ways to find freedom. Trying to fight the tide is foolish, but I still hope you win, somehow."

With the note is a little sack containing the figurines Beq had been entrusted with. The boisterous, imperious Moonfeather, prim and proper Professor, and scarred and inquisitive Inkspot make three silver ravens for three people who have been members in all but name for some time, and Rexus gently suggests Maria, Kjersti, and Temperance pick a little metal bird "For practicality's sake, if nothing else. There's no swearing in ceremony or oath-taking. The first time we did this, it was mostly me begging for help. I can do it again if you want, there is a great deal we need help with..."

"A workshop? We've certainly got the space for it." Rexus sees the value in Kjersti's request immediately. "Miss Temperance, what would you require? We could clear out a corner of the warehouse, or finally do something with one of those little empty chambers off the bunkhouse. I like the warehouse for my own work, it's less damp and dank in there. Speaking of!" The scholar gets off-track just as quickly, eagerly showing all those present the latest translations he's made from the massive cache of encrypted documents the original Silver Ravens left behind.

"They left their safehouse because they believed it was... haunted." Rexus makes a face. "Apparently they had several others spread across the city, and in the fragile chaos after the end of the civil war, it was deemed easier to just use another bolt-hole than deal with a malevolent poltergeist."

"Their main base is lost to us for now, alas. In earlier days, when they were the feted heroes of Kintargo instead of underground rebels, they operated from the Opera House itself. I doubt the Lord-Mayor will let us in to poke around."

"I've also found more descriptions of some of their members, beyond our mysterious swashbuckling Jackdaw. Many of the Silver Ravens were adventurers or worshipers of Milani. Jackdaw seems to have been the most influential of them all, but there are others who rose to particular prominence. There's Amyreid Juliac, who was a cleric of Milani. In addition to the family ties that gave them the safehouse under the Juliac-owned livery, she's our tie to the past, our chronicler, the author of a good three-quarters of what's what's been left behind. She makes frequent mention of a 'Kyda', a songstress and troublemaker, with great affection, I may add. Might as well be love letters in here. And two rough, capable sorts, a 'Brakisi' and a 'Ba', a human bounty hunter and a halfling enchanter, respectively, who get rather less affection. It seems our forerunners had their share of strife and argument."

"It's not even needles in haystacks to think of tracking people by first names alone across 80 years of Thrune's finest book-burning, but still... Should we come across old records, old archives, keep a weather eye out. Anything's possible, after all."

Rexus notes the staring eyes and shakes his head, coming back to reality. "...Oh, right, right. If it's reagents and powders you need, I'm a regular customer at the Octavian Family alchemy shop, a fine little place on the Bleakbridge. I'm afraid mechanics is not one of my fields, but I do know where to go to get whatever you might need for your firearm. Vespam Artisans. It's in old town. It's... I'm not quite sure how to describe it. A cooperative? A guild? It's a hall that rents space to anyone who wishes it. It's become 'where the inventors are', crackpots and geniuses alike. Every clocksmith and machinist in Kintargo is in there, tinkering away."

More immediate (and progressively exhausting and infuriating) is the invisible musician, who has driven Forvian into full retreat, the sellsword more willing to deal with the halfing-sized beds in Laria's worker dorm than the constant taunting melodies downstairs. For several days, the prankster continues to somehow evade the collection of rogues and specialists the Silver Ravens have collected, only to resurface as soon as there is peace and quiet to disrupt or mischief to commit. Mischief and music seem to be two separate hobbies - the keening, warbling pipes, while uninvited, are always played with great skill and feeling. The prankster never plays badly to annoy people - they play in the dead of night while everyone is trying to sleep to annoy people.

"I can't see invisible things just because I can become invisible." Vendalfek corrects Maria, with a little frown and a wistful hint of obviously wishing he could. Never the less, he takes to his enrichment with relish, having already made a solemn promise to catch the saboteur. If they are the same person, this is his sacred duty. And bless the little fellow, he tries his best, lurking around the Wasp Nest invisibly, enduring numerous pinched wings and stepped on tails and a scalding tea bath when Korva accidentally sets her mug down on top of him, but the musician seems perpetually one step ahead, as though watching him. The little dragon may not be able to see the invisible, but his adversary might.

Vendalfek uses his own magic to try and draw out the intruder, which devolves quickly into a prank war with countless innocent casualties caught in the crossfire. Tripwires, plucked feathers, tacks on chairs, buckets on doors, grease slicks underfoot, flour bombs, water bombs, glitter bombs, ink bombs, stink bombs, blood bombs. More time is spent cleaning than planning the glorious revolution. Any item set down is liable to vanish and reappear in the most implausible location, especially if it's liable to start a fight. People lie down and reappear in implausible locations, or find themselves unwitting and unremembering accomplices in the chaos. The Fushis all claim to have heard whispering voices commanding them to do all manner of strange things. The musician's pranks are bizarre and sometimes dangerous. Morgar wakes up to find his foot locker full of squealing rats, wordlessly dumps the whole thing in the cistern, and joins Forvian in defeat. Food and drink must be guarded like starving prisoners, lest they be flavored with something strange or foul, like Kjersti's salted sardine-flavored coffee, which loops all the way around to "this is hideous, you have to try it" and becomes a minor sensation as everyone gathers to watch the revolted responses.

Ultimately, it is the looming, constant presence of the dead man that catches their tormentor. The corpse is immune to many of the pranks, and doesn't react with that delicious aggravation the living do, so he is overlooked, and the musician slips up, dropping her invisibility to strut and preen in front of the mirror of an old vanity in the bunkroom, like the desk were a miniature stage. An imp! A tiny, bat-winged figure, not even two feet tall. Red as blood, with a wide, sharp-toothed grin and massive curls of black hair reaching down to her toes. She's only got one horn, a very strange feature for an imp, one that speaks of adventures on the Material Plane, as does her panoply of imp-sized weaponry and imp-sized jewelry - and imp-sized panpipes. The imp-sized dress she's modeling for herself is one of Kyla's missing silk handkerchiefs, a blue and red floral pattern.

Realizing too late that there are eyes is an eye in the dark, the imp tumbles as she hurriedly tries to vanish and take to the air, sending several containers crashing to the ground, alerting several very weary Ravens to her presence!

OOC

Several days of mayhem condensed into one very big post. If you'd like a Rebel Point, feel free to elaborate on the most embarrassing misfortune you've suffered! 😇

As the imp is now Hidden rather than Undetected, you can use the Seek action to try to pursue her, do something clever to make her visible, or beat a DC 11 flat check to simply attack or cast a spell into her general area (You also have to hit with the actual attack, AC 17). Area attacks don't need to make the flat check. This is unique encounter, an abstraction of a mad chase around the hideout, rather than turn-by-turn, square-by-square combat. You're free to team up, work together, and be more elaborate with your actions than "I take an action to Move and an action to Strike." 😛

spacer.pngKyla

AC: 19 | Fort: +7 | Ref: +7 | Will: +8
HP: 28/28 | Rebel Points: 3/3 | Perception: +10 | Stealth +7
Conditions

"YOU!" Kyla screeches. "YOU'RE THE REASON I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO TUNE AN INSTRUMENT FOR THREE SODDING WEEKS! I HAD TO CANCEL THE FIRST GIG I'VE BEEN ABLE TO LAND SINCE BRASSIERE THRUNE TOOK OVER BECAUSE OF YOU, YOU FLYING JACKASS!" Her rant continues in this vein for several minutes. As she continues to berate the imp, a letter opener on the desk flies towards the imp, but she's so damn angry that the projectile misses and embeds itself in the mirror's frame.

OOC

jnqs2g7.png

Dead Guy - Character Sheet

checked-shield.svgKAC: 19/18 Fort: +10 Ref: +5 Will: +6
health-normal.svg HP: 31/40 THP: 0/6 Hero: 1/3 | awareness.svg Perception: +6

The corpse surged forward, swiping at the spot where it had last seen the imp. One meaty hand closed on nothing and the corpse paused momentarily to examine the empty hand. The second however, snapped out and seemed to grab a lump of strangely solid air.

Curiously, despite its tendency to break first and ask questions never, the corpse did not try to do what many might expect and simply held the tiny, struggling thing for the moment. If it registered any pain from the thrashing and biting imp it did not show.

"Hhrk-Did you... Nrrh-b-break wall?" It growled at the imp.

Action 1: Grapple, failing the miss chance

Action 2: Grappling with a 20

Action 3: 13 on intimidate

Edited by Mister Doctor (see edit history)

A raised brow was the biggest indication to Kjersti of Temperance's reaction to the support. She listened as she sat, staring blankly forward as she processed. It was when Rexus came up, bearing the trio of raven figurines, that she snapped out of her reverie. Looking at the man, the conversation continued, and the tiefling allowed Kjersti to make her pick of the figurines first.

Turning over the little raven in her hands, brow furrowed, something seemed to click in the blonde's head and her expression and posture shifted. Pulling out a paper, she hastily jot down a list of things her station would need.

"One of the small chambers should suffice. I'll need more or less everything on this list to start working on things here to help the R...to help us. Thank you"

Coughing lightly, Temperance looked up at Kjersti before heading for the stairs. "Guess I should move in proper..."

After a time of quiet, the dottari notably cooled off, Temperance found herself in Bleakridge, following the directions Rexus gave her until coming up upon her destination. Looking up, the sign "Octavian Alchemy" loomed over her, swinging mildly in the breeze as she stepped in.

It didn't take long before she spotted someone behind the counter. Clearing her throat, the tiefling approached, adopting an air of business.

"Good morning. Your business was highly recommended and I was hoping you could help me. I'm looking for a formula, one to bestow life. A friend is not well, and I'd like to help, and sending them someplace...regular is out of the question. Have I come to the right place?"

Her new room and study set up, Temperance found herself quietly and hastily scribbling away on some paper. A steaming cup of coffee, heavily sugared, rested next to her right hand as she made notes and drawings in the lamplight. Taking a sip of the hot beverage, she went to refill her ink pen when...

BAM!!

...the well of Ink she was using decided to explode. Curiously though, black ink did not spray over her...instead, a white, sticky substance covered her arm and one side of her face. The momentary shock passed, Temperance simply stopped, blankly staring ahead as a few pieces of goop dripped from her glasses. Taking a finger, she dabbed at the substance, taste-testing it before slowly getting up to head to a cleaning area. "Hmm..."

During one of the few times Temperance was out of her study, she spotted Maria hauling a few things down the hall. Her boots clicking on the floor, the tiefling caught up, holding a small bundle in her hands. "Found these in the warehouse. Figured you might have use for them". Without a word, the tiefling turned, leaving the woman alone with the parcel.

Rexus's description of Vespam Artisans, in Temperance's opinion, did not truly fo the place justice. The short tiefling could feel the energy of innovation in the place..or perhaps that was the myriad stares she had received upon first entry.

Still, she soldiered in, introducing herself as a "purveyor of Alkenstari technologies", asking around. She had enough grasp to know she had some innovation to trade.. the papers she carried had numerous sketches of the caplock firing mechanism of her rifle. Surely if someone had developed this, others were developing other techniques she could use?

The chaos that ensued once the imp was quick, and when it went down Temperance was ready. As it wriggled out of Deadman's grasp, a small ball of leather came arcing out from behind a corner. Impacting the imp, the leather unfurled, sending a burst of a white, sticky substance over the creature. Turning said corner, the tiefling crossed her arms, a brow raised as she looked from under Deadman's arm. "Gotcha."

Show Mechanics

Claiming Ring of Discretion for equipment.

Giving Handwraps of Mighty Blows +1 to Maria

Action 1: Throwing Tanglefoot bag (lesser). Hits. Imp now has a -10ft penalty to Speed

Action 2:

Action 3:

Maria Callus

spacer.pngMaria Callus — Human Monk (medic)

The newest ravens

Maria felt a strange pride as she was properly adopted into the group. She also deferred to Kjersti, but would suggest Moonfeather for Kjersti's personality.

"And you dear Temperance are obviously the Professor, if you would have her," she smiled and then offered an embrace of solidarity to Temperance, then Kjersti and finally, Rexus.

"I for one am here to help the Ravens, and not only because it aligns with our quest to find Kjersti's brother. And not only because I don't want to see you beg, Rexus. Not in public," she smiled then looked away from their patron and left the room.

"Sounds like an absolutely dreadful place. Probably smells worse than it does down here," she spoke to Kjersti as Rexus described the Octavian alchemy shop to Temperance.

A farcical encounter

A few days later, Maria stomped into the stormwater pool angry and filthy. "Everybody out, I need some privacy!" she commanded, her skin shimmering in the light.

She had been training with Kjersti, testing out the new handwraps that Temperance had graciously left her when the ball of glitter had just ... appeared above her. Sweaty and already dirty from the exertion of sparring, most of it stuck to her skin. She stormed off to her quarters to try to scrub it off, silent but fuming all the way. If this one was Veldelfek, she was going to take that tail and stick it up it's ... No, it was probably the other one, though she wished she was sure of that.

Glitter clung to her like a second skin, painting her sculpted physique with layers shimmering dust. Maria's bitter laughter echoed through the room as she began the near impossible task of cleaning up the mess all over herself. With deliberate care, she shed her glitter-laden garments, putting them aside on the dock while she focused on cleaning herself first. Water splashed and flowed as she scrubbed the shining particles off her skin, focused totally on cleansing herself.

Finally she was confident she'd scrubbed her skin and hair clean, if almost rubbed raw in some spots, she turned to retrieve her clothes to undertake that even more difficult cleaning. But an unexpected discovery awaited her. Her clothes had vanished! She almost smiled, a smile mixed with the rising frustration of being stuck in the river naked and with nothing to change into.

"Fine. FINE!" Thankfully she had the small towel and wash cloth she was using to scrub herself. She arranged them as best she could to preserve her modesty and went stomping out to find her clothes. With a glare of rage keeping any curious gawkers at bay, Maria traversed the corridors, her fiery look daring anyone to ask what happened. The occasional glance from passersby did nothing to disrupt her.

Even though she had no suspicion of him being involved in the burglary, Maria had a pretty good idea where her clothes would end up. Rexus' room beckoned based on the principle of maximum mischief. It's what eight year old Kjersti would have done. Maria's keen intuition had led her right to the source. She pushed the door open with a gentle force that rattled the hinges.

There, somehow draped over the back of Rexus' chair as he hyper focused on the documents, lay her missing attire. A knowing smile curved her lips as she shook her head, she knew the mischievous imp's game. Of course even Rexus focused on his papers couldn't help but notice mostly naked, soaking wet Maria picking through glittering clothes at the back of his chair. She tilted her head and smiled with a 'what can you do?' expression in her eye as she gathered her things.

Octavian Alchemy

Maria was not there with Temperance when she went to Octavian alchemy, but the tiefling might have had to look twice. The young woman at the counter was her spitting image, if a good fifteen years younger. Though when she spoke it became clear quickly that despite her fewer years, her knowledge of all things alchemical and scientific vastly exceeded Maria's much more practical skill set.

"Life? I don't understand. That's normally the purview of the temples, is your friend not well? Or ... actually passed on? And if so, I've never read of undead who weren't either mindless hulks or maniacal, nefarious evil, Whispering Tyrant types and the like. I'm not sure we have much to help you, I'm afraid. But perhaps if you can tell me a bit more?" she spoke quickly with a curious glint in her eye as she listened for what Temperance needed.

Imp Hunting

Maria did not wake right away to the imp's noise, but it was impossible to sleep through Kyla's rant!

"And the reason Rexus knows about my birth mark!" she cried, rising quickly. The imp was already crowded with Temperance and Dead man grabbing at it, she took a different route. She moved to the door and made sure it was securely shut, and then went to do the same for any opening bigger than a mouse.

"Vendelfek! We have your foil! Come make sure she never vanishes again!"

Mechanics

Action 1:
Action 2:
Action 3:

At Octavian Alchemy

The corner of the tiefling's mouth twitched a little as she saw the younger clone of Maria approach, and frowned as she responded. Taking a breath, she started to speak slowly, both as one trying not to divulge full facts, but also under the assumption this girl was similarly...slow.

"I never said undead. But someone who is not welcome in any of the official religious establishments. Do you or do you not have a formula for a healing tonic, or elixir? If not, I will waste your time no further and be on my way"

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Edited by Toraka_Stormheart (see edit history)

Conditions

On Rexus' description and Maria's suggestion both, Kjersti smirks as she takes Moonfeather, turning the little statuette over once as if to get a sense for this creature through its mineral dwelling alone. She holds the bird almost in salute to the other two, a recognized part of this by (in a manner of speaking) their patron. That smirk turns into a smile as he immediately picks up on her meaning, happy that the man is intuitive enough to know how to direct Temperance's needs. Once he has collected her list and offered suggestions, Kjersti nods to the tiefling as she rises. "Aye, that sounds good," she answers, eyes following her up. "Let me know if you need anythin' else."

Amidst the sounds of people trying to seek out their illusive, invasive guest, Kjersti gives the old knee slap and rises from the steps abruptly, deciding to make every inch of this Wasp Nest familiar. There was a lot of potential down here and a lot of people to help make it into something once they decided where everything should be. Pranks aside, she makes sure to check in with all of their 'hangers on' to see what kind of needs each of them has (outside of ridding the place of the prankster). There were plenty of voices to be heard and she wanted to take all of them in.

For her part, the antics of the fiend seem to occur around Kjersti but never directly to her... aside from the coffee instance. It might be because Vendalfek finds the perch of her shoulders to be something of 'home', thus more risk of being caught. She'd be kidding herself to think it's because they respect her as, what, a leader of some form? Unfun to prank because she takes it in stride? What she hopes, though, is that her own relative calm does not provoke some jealous or resentful emotions her direction. Either way, she enjoys an eye of peace (aside from the nighttime pipes) in the middle of the storm.

She is, however, always on the lookout for signs of the being because it is reaping absolute havoc upon her friends, her people.

Later on, Kjersti has changed out of the 'presentable' clothing that was so graciously presented to her. In its place, her chest is wrapped tight in long linen and her forearms are similarly wrapped up in leather strapping up to the elbows. Sweat glistens from her shoulders and brow, as much of her auburn hair as can be pulled back gathered into a stump of a ponytail. In something of a pugilist's pose, she holds her 'armored' forearms up in defense as Maria spars against her, the heavy sounds of her fists landing. "Goddess, what's those she gave you?" she grunts, her friend's knuckles landing like hammer-blows in the new wraps. Maria had never bruised Kjersti through the leather, but she was started to think these were going to leave marks. Still, she stood her ground. "Gonna punch a dottari's head clean off if y'ain't careful, Maer," she teases, bringing a leg up to receive a sweeping kick. Even that stung.

"We just gotta demoralize 'em. Get 'em questionin' theyselves. But save some of them for Erick, yeah?" It's fairly calm banter from the younger Volden, though Maria is aware of the darker swings in Kjersti's mood when her brother comes up.

"Alright, alright," Kjersti says loudly but calmly as the group descends upon their assailant. From overtop most of the other Ravens, she sees the pint-sized demonette and her brow furrows, powerful arms crossing over her chest as if daring the creature to take them on. "Best be 'xplainin' yourself, little miss. Got a lotta minds made up to squish you, after all the shenanigans. I know we ain't the first you been a terror to. Findin' the joy innit?"

UsY5rNi.pngStar

AC: 19 (+2 nimble dodge) | Fort: +6 | Ref: +10 | Will: +6
HP: 28/28 | Rebel Points: 0/3 | Perception: +7 | Stealth +7
Conditions

After the incident with the footlocker, Laria puts out some rat traps, only for them to mysteriously disappear. Two days later, the Ravens are sitting at Laria's table for lunch. Suddenly, Star leaps up with a yell of pain - one of the traps has fastened itself around her rat-like tail. As she, and the other Ravens, scramble to remove the trap, Star's headband suddenly unties itself and flutters to the floor. Star yelps again, covers her forehead and flees from the room - but not before those present see an ugly pentagram brand there, familiar to everyone in Cheliax as the holy symbol of Asmodeus.

Edited by pi4t (see edit history)