Book 1, Part 3: Threat of the Red Jills

ripleycat

spacer.pngTemperance - Character Sheet

AC: 19 Fort: +6 Ref: +10 Will: +4

HP: 24/24 Rebel Points: 4/3 | Perception: +6

Ammunition: 20/20 (40 Reserve) | Alchemy Prepared | Conditions

Evening Training

The sound of a joint popping emanated through as Temperance was redirected and pushed, dust from the gravel kicking up as she rebalanced herself. Brushing a stray blonde lock, the tiefling was facing away from Kjersti, head turned enough for a lone yellow eye to peer at her.

"Kindness won't keep you alive in a fight. Or anyone in your charge." A brow quirked as the hammer was dropped, the short woman turning and raising her blade tip-forward. Step by step she advanced, closing the gap and forcing the redhead back, speaking as if reciting something heard before.

"In a fight if you don't command the flow, you lose. And you aren't in control. Again!"

Dipping low, Temperance weaved and faked a high slash, going in for a low swipe to the thigh, using the flat of her blade to leave welts rather than cuts...

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

1689204652787.png.1171a71b77f17a6fe33d763e80a3c0aa.pngKjersti Volden

AC: 19 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7
HP: 24/24 | Focus: 0/1 | Hero: 0/3 | Perception: +5
Conditions

"Kindness won't keep you alive in a fight..."

"That's what I'm relyin' on you for, Temp'rance," Kjersti says, stepping back as the point of her rapier menaces her bare skin. The heel of her boot splashes into the first step of water-logged gravel and just as she's about to plant and shift her body to avoid the sharp tip, the tiefling brings it down with a dull but painful slap against her leg. Kjersti grunts, but is quick to offer a response.

Before the blade can be fully reclaimed, the redhead swats at the shining silver with a clenched left fist, leather gauntlet taking the most of the brunt and sending Temperance's guard out wide. Lunging into the gap, Kjersti slides onto a knee - almost at height with Temperance doing so - and wraps her around the waist, like some intimate gesture. Except as piercing blue looks firmly into gold, so close that their noses almost touch, she grips her own wrists behind the tiefling's back and squeezes sharply, then raises her up to steal the ground from her.

"I ain't never been in control'a nothin' in my life," she admits through grit teeth, squeezing a little tighter, mouth now close to her ear. "So I'd appreciatcha - " Out of nowhere, Moonfeather alights on Kjersti's head, piercing black eyes looking first to the tiefling, then to its 'owner', regarding the way it appears she is only a flex away from actually inflicting harm rather than just restraining Temperance. With a chiding caw, it pecks the redhead hard in the curve of her brow, immediately drawing blood that runs into her eye.

Kjersti gasps in surprise and drops Temperance, bringing a forearm up to staunch the tide. "Dammit, Moonfeather, what?"

The bird flaps back to where it had been lurking and grumbles at the both of them. 'Cut it out' it almost seems to say with its fixed glare.

Edited by Fletcher (see edit history)

Evening Training

The breath in Temperance's chest was forced from her lungs as she was grabbed, a choked out grunt coming from her throat as her arms were pinned to her torso by Kjersti's grip. Her yellow eyes stared forward, jaw tensed as she resisted the grasp...futilely. Looking into her eyes and feeling the surrounding pressure from the farmgirl's body, the tiefling saw the flash of defiance...almost...rage.

And then a caw and clack of a beak upon brow.

Temperance rather unceremoniously was dropped into the shallows with a splash, falling flat on her back into the water. Gasping for breath, the blonde groaned before sitting up, her wet clothes dripping on her body as she got back on her feet.

"Guess we are done for today. I'll get back to work..." muttered the tiefling as she retrieved her scabbard, wordlessly making her way back to her designated workspace.

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Conditions: None

Kjersti steps back from Temperance, suddenly blinded in an eye from the run of blood, too occupied to realize she's dumped the tiefling into the shallows. With a hand pressed against her face, she registers her getting up to leave and curses silently at herself for trying to show off with something she should really only be using on people who need hurting. And moreso, she's embarrassed. Maybe Temperance had been goading her to just that sort of reaction, but when had the other woman not made it clear that she was willing to test all boundaries?

Chasing after the tiefling with apologies seems like the last thing she'd want... and they'd likely be met with ire. She needed to do better to show Temperance that she deserved her support. "Y-yeah..." she hears herself answering. "We'll getcha before we head off..." Some stupid, casual, business-as-usual words. She turns and glares at Moonfeather, who judges her right back and croaks.

"Like you'd know..." she mutters, moving slowly on a stinging leg to pick up the Falco hammer.... and then go find some bindings.

As one heads east from the summit of Temple Hill, where the vast and imposing Grand Temple of Asmodeus looms, the district of the divine quickly turns mundane, workaday and run-down tenements and businesses sharing space with the deserted homes of outlawed gods. Go a few blocks further, and one is walking Redroof's unpaved streets, and soon after that, the narrow alleys of the Devil's Nursery.

It is in this relative no-man's land that the Red Jills have operated for years, picking pockets, breaking in through the back door, and mugging the unfortunate, just wily (and small) enough to avoid the boot of the dottari. So far as Star knows, having worked some of the same targets on the same streets, the Jills have long been motivated more by greed than blood. The recent boost in numbers and violent change in tactics hints at some dark agreement with the powers that be, or perhaps new leadership among the thieves.

There used to be plenty of tieflings among the redcloaks, desperate for any path out of the slums, even the longshot of picking someone's pocket and coming away with a fistful of gold. Not that Star would know anything about that. This shift towards hate is certainly understandable, but not beating and bleeding folk from the Nursery. Nevermind that they're hardly lucrative targets.

Knowing where they lurk is one thing, finding the Jills' lair is another matter. By the time the Silver Ravens arrive on the scene, the Red Jills seem a bit, er, spooked by something. You catch a few glimpses of telltale crimson in the dark corners, but they vanish quickly, perhaps gathering numbers rather than risking six armed strangers on their own.

The thieves can't be harder to track than the tiny tooth fairies, right? Though so far as anyone knows, the Red Jills aren't mortally afraid of cats.

Show this

You know the general area where the Red Jills operate, thanks to Star, but they're not openly swaggering around in the streets tonight, thanks to Deadman. Locating their stronghold will require investigation or interrogation, or something else! Your own creative angles are always, always welcome.

Evening Training

The descent from opulent Asmodean oligarchy to the surrounding slums did little to soften Temperance's edge. Seeing the fleeting red cloaks, the tiefling let out her breath in a frustrated sigh, adjusting her longcoat about her shoulders.

"Let's not waste time" She said curtly as she stepped forward, turning over a ring on her finger with her other hand. With a soft shimmer, the weapons on her body, rifle included, phased out of view, giving her the look of an unarmed, potentially foolish individual.

Stepping into a side alley, Temperance all but vanished as she started to blend in, navigating the sprawl of streets for signs of their target.

Show Mechanics

Action 1: Using Ring of Discretion, concealing all sheathed weapons

Action 2: Utilizing Stealth to locate and observe where Red Jills are moving. Result 22

Action 3:

jnqs2g7.png

Dead Guy - Character Sheet

checked-shield.svgKAC: 19/18 Fort: +10 Ref: +5 Will: +6
health-normal.svg HP: 40/40 THP: 0/6 Hero: 1/3 | awareness.svg Perception: +6

When the corpse rejoined the others, there was fresh blood staining its clothing, their monster clearly having been busy while away. Given that the only thing in its veins was a tarry black sludge, the blood was decidedly not its own. It seemed content to have metaphorically 'treed' the Red Jills so that the others could see to the more difficult matter of locating their hideout. Unfortunately, the process of convincing the Red Jills to suspend their more aggressive activities meant that its limited capacity to track and hunt them was not adequate for this next stage of the operation.

"Rrr-red," the corpse grunted sagely, depositing a handful of red cloaks on the ground. They were mottled with blood stains of a darker red and the usual fabric but should still serve if someone needed an impromptu disguise.

11 Stealth and 13 survival to try and chase the Jills down. Deado is probably not going to be terribly useful here.

Edited by Mister Doctor (see edit history)

Maria Callus

spacer.pngMaria Callus — Human Monk (medic)

Jill Finding

Maria sighed at Deadman's work, shaking her head slightly.

"Yes lovely but... where did they go?" she asked, looking over the cloaks.

"I feel Temperance has the right idea. Certainly no group of thieves is going to attack as, erm, intimidating a group as our own," she smiled up at Deadman, but then looked to Kjersti as well.

"I'd rather not see people go off alone, but perhaps two groups? Temperance is obviously quite stealthy, I might be able to join her being discrete. While the more glib among us might want to discretely inquire what locals know about the Jills? Kjersti Star and Kyla? They must have a base of operations of some sort, surely someone has seen them come and go? And Deadman well, you certainly will draw their attention, but if you make an attempt to not lurk, but be seen perhaps they will attempt a sort of revenge. As brutal as you are, a group of Jills might fancy taking you down after you've antagonized them as you have. Temperance and I can hide nearby and wait, with you as ... ahem... bait I suppose. If any of us get any interest, the others are only a raven away."

Mechanics

Action 1:
Action 2:
Action 3:

UsY5rNi.png Star

AC: 19 (+2 nimble dodge) | Fort: +6 | Ref: +10 | Will: +6
HP: 28/28 | Rebel Points: 1/3 | Perception: +7 | Stealth +7
Conditions

"I dunno what glib means, but I c'n hide better 'n I can talk. An' they wouldn't bother attackin' me anyway. Least they wouldn't of. Ain't got anythin' to take. Maybe I should go with Temp'rance an'..." Star trails off mid-sentence as she notices what looks like a pile of greyish rags down the street. Without further explanation, she slips off ahead of the group, crouching down next to it. "Hey, Lil".

After a pause the pile stirs, and a gnome woman emerges. Her hair is monochrome grey, and her face is stark white. "Hello, Star." Her voice is shockingly refined for a beggar on the street, but scratchy, as though it hasn't been used in a while.

Star quickly gets to business. "I'm tryin' ta find the Red Jills. You always knew this patch well, an' I need information. You owe me, remember."

(OOC: Gather information 15)

Edited by pi4t (see edit history)

Lil isn't particularly pleased at having a favor dangled over her head without so much as a "how are you?", but she scratches at her cheek and gives the situation some deep thought. "Not down here. They prowl about, but they don't stay here at night anymore. Try up the hill. I wager they're using the Humbert House. Someone is, certainly."

Star's familiar with the place. The Humbert House is an old wreck, a shell, at this point, an abandoned orphanage and temple to Aroden that's sat empty for decades, since shortly after the God of Humanity snuffed it and the Civil War began. Every few years, some low-rent low-lives move in. Gangs, smugglers, thugs, arms runners, so forth and so on. The building's served Kintargo's criminals for far, far longer than it ever did the faithful. It's a good starting point.

Conditions

From their initial arrival, Kjersti wanted to pass by long enough to speak to Zea, make sure her little ones had been getting back okay from their courier runs - especially the one who she'd give the coppers to. Communication was going to be key if they started to connect with more and more groups, and she'd be pleased to give the young ones an important way to contribute to the causes. Unfortunately, their frustrations spread through the whole of the neighborhood and she can't give much more than a broad gesture for problem spots. Grateful nonetheless, she reinforces that they are happy to help with whatever they can... and will give these Jills a run.

Rejoining the group, Kjersti takes a deep breath and sighs at the possible scope of the task ahead. Splitting up would cover more ground, but put them in more danger the smaller their groups got. When Temperance shifts into an illusion of harmlessness, a quirk of a smile finds the farmgirl's mouth as she's the most dangerous bait she could imagine. Stepping over the Maria, she nods after the proactive tiefling. "Might could follow after 'er with our Friend here," she glances over to the Deadman. "Give 'er backup if she gets in a bind, an' likewise." It's not exactly what her friend had imagined, but it was close.

When Star recognizes someone who might have good info, Kjersti takes a knee next to Kyla and watches the engagement with the gnome. "Ya'll stick close, y'hear. I reckon we can take it to those Jill folks, but we still gotta be smart 'bout it."

Maria Callus

Jill Finding

Maria nodded to Kjersti.

"Seems wise. I can do my best to stay out of sight but," she paused looking at Deadman.

"You'll need to stay back a little. ," she smiled up at Deadman, but then looked to Kjersti as well.

"Out of sight. Come out if anyone tries to molest Temperance. If it happens we can send ravens for the rest of you."

Mechanics

Action 1:
Action 2:
Action 3:

Name
perception watching Temperance for signs of trouble
1d20+5 19
and stealth to remain out of sight.
1d20+8 20

Temperance avoids unwelcome attention as she tracks the thieves through the edges of the Nursery. Star's tip provides the other half of the puzzle, and the stealthier of the Ravens are able to trace the thugs to their lair. The Red Jills are a ragged and uneven bunch, their crimson cloaks the only bit of matching uniform between them. Oddly, there are only a handful of humans among the red flashes that dart among the narrow alleys. Tieflings and changelings, half-orcs and half-elves and halflings, and other, less-identifiable beings as well. The sorts Cheliax kicks into the gutter, clawing at the other luckless souls as they dream of riches and a way out, or just a way to hold power over someone, anyone. The Jills aren't a big enough band to be picky, but so far as Star knows, they've never made a point of keeping humans out, either, and picking at the Nursery's vulnerable citizens makes it unlikely they've had some epiphany about class consciousness.

The Humbert House is really two buildings - the crumbling temple to Aroden, abandoned even by its god, and the shell of the old orphanage, gutted by fire at some point in years long past. Wind howls through empty windows, strays and rodents scurry through the rubble. Voices and the light and crackle of small fires give away the location of the newest occupants, and reveal an unwelcome wrinkle for the Silver Ravens - The Red Jills seem to have made their nest on top of the Humbright House. There's even a very untrustworthy-looking bridge strung between the buildings. Only the temple remains intact enough to maybe have a way up left inside. You could always just climb the rough old brick walls, or, well... who knows what else? That's up to you.

OOC

Jumping forward a tiny bit. Trying to up my own posting rate. Let's have a fight. 😇

Roll20's been updated. New map, so poke me if something's up with a token.

Both the temple and orphanage are mostly gutted inside. You can move around freely on the "ground floor" of both buildings. There's a ladder inside the temple leading up to a trapdoor hatch on the roof (Marked with the "F" on the map.). The exterior walls are rough brick, relatively easy to Climb, with a DC 13 Athletics check. The sloped edges of the temple roof (outlined in blue on the map) are slick and dangerous. They are considered rough terrain. Moving at full speed requires a DC 10 Acrobatics check. Failure means you stumble and waste your movement for that turn. Critical failure means you fall! DC 10 Reflex to Grab an Edge, otherwise it's a 20-foot tumble to the streets below.

Vertical distance between the ground and anyone on the roof is 20 feet for any ranged attacks, healing, etc, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening Training

The target location found, Temperance stood still as she stared directly up towards the roof, where their quarry lay. A few ways were presented to her to see how to get up. Looking back at the others, the tiefling's eyes fell on Kjersti before giving a nod. Cracking her knuckles, she approached the wall of the dilapidated temple.

With a slight crouch, her legs sprung her up as she grabbed onto the wall, fingers digging into the old brick as she started to scramble her way up. The tiefling showed remarkably swift progress, almost bestial in her athleticism as she scaled up the wall...

Show Mechanics

Action 1: Stride per roll 20

Action 2: Climb, Critical success of check, moving up 10 feet

Action 3: Climb, success on check, moving up 5 feet

Temperance is 15 feet up on the wall.

Maria Callus

Jill Finding

Well if Temperance could do it, Maria would be damned if she let the Tiefling hang out alone and vulnerable on that wall.

"And up we go, simple as that," she muttered to herself then took of to try it.

Mechanics

Action 1: Stride
Action 2: Stride (think I need 2 instead of just 1 like Temperence)
Action 3: Climb 26 crit so up she goes 10 feet (not quite as far as Temperance)

Edited by ccanary (see edit history)
Name
climb
1d20+8 18