Edit History

Taggerung559

Taggerung559

I've stumbled into another question.

With just 1st party sources, magus spell combat cannot be combined with flurry of blows. The reason for this as I understand things is that spell combat is a specific full round action, whereas flurry of blows is a modified full attack action, similar to how you can't use cleave and vital strike together since cleave is its own specific standard action.

Enter spheres. The arcane weaponeer magus archetype has an alternate spell combat class feature which says

When he makes a full-round attack using only melee weapons, he can also use any sphere ability with a casting time of 1 standard action or less as a free action at any point during the attack.

The specific wording of the unchained monk's flurry of blows is

At 1st level, a monk can make a flurry of blows as a full-attack action.

So if you had those two, and you made a flurry of blows which is a full-attack action, and you did it with melee weapons, would that be compatible with the spell combat of arcane weaponeer specifically?

I assume no because it almost seems too good to be true for the character I'm brewing, but I'm failing to find something to prevent it.

edit: and on a completely separate note, what method do you have in mind for combat battlefields? theater of the mind, roll20, google sheets, that sort of thing.

Taggerung559

Taggerung559

I've stumbled into another question.

With just 1st party sources, magus spell combat cannot be combined with flurry of blows. The reason for this as I understand things is that spell combat is a specific full round action, whereas flurry of blows is a modified full attack action, similar to how you can't use cleave and vital strike together since cleave is its own specific standard action.

Enter spheres. The arcane weaponeer magus archetype has an alternate spell combat class feature which says

When he makes a full-round attack using only melee weapons, he can also use any sphere ability with a casting time of 1 standard action or less as a free action at any point during the attack.

The specific wording of the unchained monk's flurry of blows is

At 1st level, a monk can make a flurry of blows as a full-attack action.

So if you had those two, and you made a flurry of blows which is a full-attack action, and you did it with melee weapons, would that be compatible with the spell combat of arcane weaponeer specifically?

I assume no because it almost seems too good to be true for the character I'm brewing, but I'm failing to find something to prevent it.