Edit History

Saberfan

Saberfan

20 minutes ago, Taggerung559 said:

I've stumbled into another question.

With just 1st party sources, magus spell combat cannot be combined with flurry of blows. The reason for this as I understand things is that spell combat is a specific full round action, whereas flurry of blows is a modified full attack action, similar to how you can't use cleave and vital strike together since cleave is its own specific standard action.

Enter spheres. The arcane weaponeer magus archetype has an alternate spell combat class feature which says

The specific wording of the unchained monk's flurry of blows is

So if you had those two, and you made a flurry of blows which is a full-attack action, and you did it with melee weapons, would that be compatible with the spell combat of arcane weaponeer specifically?

I assume no because it almost seems too good to be true for the character I'm brewing, but I'm failing to find something to prevent it.

I'm pretty sure that both the normal and Unchained versions of Flurry of Blows have been ruled as a special full-attack actions by Paizo, meaning they can't be spliced with certain things that modify those even though they are actually categorized as full-attacks. That said, I'd like to ask what you were looking to use that specific interaction for? If it's something relatively inoffensive by my standards, I could give things a deeper look and see if I can figure out a compromise within the rules.

Edit: Maps are something I will discuss with those selected since not everyone may have access to, or be willing to access, certain things like Roll20 or Google Docs.

Saberfan

Saberfan

3 minutes ago, Taggerung559 said:

I've stumbled into another question.

With just 1st party sources, magus spell combat cannot be combined with flurry of blows. The reason for this as I understand things is that spell combat is a specific full round action, whereas flurry of blows is a modified full attack action, similar to how you can't use cleave and vital strike together since cleave is its own specific standard action.

Enter spheres. The arcane weaponeer magus archetype has an alternate spell combat class feature which says

The specific wording of the unchained monk's flurry of blows is

So if you had those two, and you made a flurry of blows which is a full-attack action, and you did it with melee weapons, would that be compatible with the spell combat of arcane weaponeer specifically?

I assume no because it almost seems too good to be true for the character I'm brewing, but I'm failing to find something to prevent it.

I'm pretty sure that both the normal and Unchained versions of Flurry of Blows have been ruled as a special full-attack actions by Paizo, meaning they can't be spliced with certain things that modify those even though they are actually categorized as full-attacks. That said, I'd like to ask what you were looking to use that specific interaction for? If it's something relatively inoffensive by my standards, I could give things a deeper look and see if I can figure out a compromise within the rules.