Edit History

Azerian Kelimon

Azerian Kelimon

14 hours ago, Djacob91 said:

Yea, the Martial Mageknight doesn't have anything that says that they get more talents to use, so they still only get the four talents(plus 2 bonus magic talents at first level) that they would get under the base class. As for whether they make good gishes, I would suggest against the Martial Mageknight. Some of the other Mageknight archetypes might be more appealing, notably the ones that focus on a specific magic sphere. They often get some bonus to caster level for that focused sphere. Otherwise, many of the Mystic Combat options are what you really want out of the Mageknight class. Things like Swift Combatant for a free action move or Quickened Reflexes for improved AC. There is also the Knightknight archetype, which trades out the magic part for better martial focus(its an Adept Practitioner, so its gets 15 Might talents by lvl 20). And you can still pick up the Magemage Prestige Class to get the magic back for the gish part. After that, I'd double check what you want the other class part to be. Which is to say decide whether you want to pick a dedicated magic class, a martial class, or one of the mixed ones. The Magus's Arcane Weaponeer archetype might be a good place to look, either to compliment the Mageknight or just take its place.

I've looked at that one, yeah. What I'm eyeing right now is the Runesinger Fighter. It's an Expert Practitioner, so it gets a full set of 20 talents, but it also gets some very nice runes that effectively replicate (and with the right feats, outperform!) investing into setting up a Destructive Strike for that gish feeling, so that might be the play. It would be nice to have class features that actually do something to help with the concept instead of just being kinda there while the talents do all the heavy lifting. :orctongue:

The other side is a trifle trickier, just because finding a full-CL caster who also has a focus on something like War to add some more 'leader of men' spice is surprisingly hard, but I'm sure there's something out there.

...Oh! This reminds me. Three more questions for Saberfan:

A) Do Fighters get Combat Stamina for free, as suggested in the Unchained book, or does it require a feat?

B) Do talents which count as Associated Feats also count as such for the purposes of determining Stamina Trick access? The rules seem to point that way, but it's not 100% clear and I figure it's well worth making sure.

C) How does the Soul rune's strike effect interact with the Ancient Word feat? Dishing out a die per class level is kind of devastatingly broken and probably not how it's intended to be read (you have a non-zero chance to instantly kill a dragon by activating the rune against them if parsed that way), but it should probably get something from it.

Azerian Kelimon

Azerian Kelimon

14 hours ago, Djacob91 said:

Yea, the Martial Mageknight doesn't have anything that says that they get more talents to use, so they still only get the four talents(plus 2 bonus magic talents at first level) that they would get under the base class. As for whether they make good gishes, I would suggest against the Martial Mageknight. Some of the other Mageknight archetypes might be more appealing, notably the ones that focus on a specific magic sphere. They often get some bonus to caster level for that focused sphere. Otherwise, many of the Mystic Combat options are what you really want out of the Mageknight class. Things like Swift Combatant for a free action move or Quickened Reflexes for improved AC. There is also the Knightknight archetype, which trades out the magic part for better martial focus(its an Adept Practitioner, so its gets 15 Might talents by lvl 20). And you can still pick up the Magemage Prestige Class to get the magic back for the gish part. After that, I'd double check what you want the other class part to be. Which is to say decide whether you want to pick a dedicated magic class, a martial class, or one of the mixed ones. The Magus's Arcane Weaponeer archetype might be a good place to look, either to compliment the Mageknight or just take its place.

I've looked at that one, yeah. What I'm eyeing right now is the Runesinger Fighter. It's an Expert Practitioner, so it gets a full set of 20 talents, but it also gets some very nice runes that effectively replicate (and with the right feats, outperform!) investing into setting up a Destructive Strike for that gish feeling, so that might be the play. It would be nice to have class features that actually do something to help with the concept instead of just being kinda there while the talents do all the heavy lifting. :orctongue:

The other side is a trifle trickier, just because finding a full-CL caster who also has a focus on something like War to add some more 'leader of men' spice is surprisingly hard, but I'm sure there's something out there.

...Oh! This reminds me. Three more questions to ask for Saberfan:

A) Do Fighters get Combat Stamina for free, as suggested in the Unchained book, or does it require a feat?

B) Do talents which count as Associated Feats also count as such for the purposes of determining Stamina Trick access? The rules seem to point that way, but it's not 100% clear and I figure it's well worth making sure.

C) How does the Soul rune's strike effect interact with the Ancient Word feat? Dishing out a die per class level is kind of devastatingly broken and probably not how it's intended to be read (you have a non-zero chance to instantly kill a dragon by activating the rune against them if parsed that way), but it should probably get something from it.

Azerian Kelimon

Azerian Kelimon

1 hour ago, Djacob91 said:

...Oh! This reminds me. Two more questions to ask for Saberfan: