Taquka'aq, Scion of Winonah

spacer.png

Core

Concept : Wise Medicine Man

Legendary Title : He who Breathes Life

Short Term Deed : Duty - Develop a healthcare center in area XXX

Long Term Deed : Duty - Bring back a vibrant life and pride to his tribe, make them thrive and feel entitled again

Band Term Deed : TBD if I get picked, of course

Origin Path: Tribe's Brightest Star

Role Path: Community Doctor

Society / Pantheon Path : Mediator with the Manitou

Attributes

Intellect 5; Cunning 1; Resolve 5

Might 4; Dexterity 1; Stamina 5

Presence 1; Manipulation 1; Composure 5

Skills

Academics 3; Close Combat 2; Empathy 1; Integrity 1; Medicine 5; Occult 4; Science 2; Survival 5

Callings and Knacks

CALLING Dots Heroic Knacks Immortal Knacks Fatebinding
Healer 2 The Bare MinimumYou are always able to safely tend to someone’s wounds even if you have no sanitary medical tools available. Even if all you have are twigs and dirt, you’ll be able to perform surgery at no increased Difficulty and at no risk to your patient.; Combat MedicWhen you tend to an ally’s wounds in the heat of battle, once per turn remove any −1 Injury they may be suffering — including damage sustained to armor — without needing to roll. You may not make Mixed actions when utilizing this Knack. Breath of LifeIf you touch a target within three minutes of their death, you can spend a point of Legend and bring them back to life with all Injuries filled. Any longer than three minutes and the target cannot be revived. Boon Companion, Canary, Rival
Sage 2 Blockade of ReasonYou readily deflate the arguments of hucksters and con men with a sharp application of reason, or blunt denial (usually calling out the person for what they are trying to do).

Targets of lower Tier cannot trick, coerce, swindle, or con you, and any supernatural attempts to do so trigger a Clash of Wills. You add 2 Enhancement to the Clash
of Wills roll.
; Palace of MemoryWhen you recall past events that you have experienced or studied, you are able to recall the details flawlessly, never missing out on any clues or dropping the ball on any details you might remember.

This allows the player to bypass the need to roll to remember salient details or facts, and also to declare a narrative advantage she may have remembered without needing to invoke her Path. If you missed a Procedural Clue in a prior scene, you may attempt to rediscover it
- Apprentice, Jinx, Traitor
Warrior 1 TemperedWhen you wear no armor, you are considered to have the Armored (Soft) Tag. This benefit stacks with the increased difficulty of the inflict damage Stunt granted by any other armor you wear when you fight lesser foes (minor characters, or anyone a Tier lower than you). - Balm, Nemesis, Rival
Any - - -  

Birthrights

Guide (3) - Great Old Bear Spirit

- Asset Skills : Medicine, Survival => Stunt : TBD

- Purview : Beasts (Bear)

Relics (4) - Skin Mantle of Gaborek'aju the Mighty Bear

Epic Stamina;

Epic Strength;

Motif = Righteous Wrath of Nature

Purviews

Beasts (Bear) Innate PowerAnimals will never attack or harm you, unless they are compelled by magic or Legendary creatures themselves.   Guide  
Dodaem Innate PowerOnce each scene, you can ask a manitou for its favor as a simple action. It grants Enhancement 3 on relevant rolls for the scene, such as those to hunt a bear or pass through a forest safely. In exchange, it will either ask you for a favor (e.g. the bear’s manitou needs a new charge after the hunt) or impose a restriction (e.g. the forest manitou forbids you from harming living things). You lose the Enhancement if you don’t honor the bargain, and the offended manitou may favor your foes until you make amends with it. Dream QuestCost: Imbue 1 Legend

Duration: Indefinite

Subject: Self

Action: Complex

As you sleep, your dodaem manitou shows you meaningful visions. Ask the Storyguide one of the
following questions:
• Where do I need to be?
• What should I be on the lookout for?
• What is the cause of this problem?
• What is disturbing the dodaem manitou of this area?

Following the Storyguide’s answer provides Enhancement 3 on actions that help get you to where you need to be in order to do what you must, but not on rolls to actually do it. If your dreams show you that you must slay a wendigo, the Enhancement would apply on rolls to investigate its victims and track it down, but not to do battle with it.
PSP  
Epic Stamina Innate PowerYou are immune to poison and disease unless they come from a source whose Legend is equal or greater than yours, and never face Complications or risk death from hunger, thirst, or exhaustion.   Relic Motif
Epic Strength Innate PowerYou have +1 Scale for purposes of lifting, breaking, or carrying large objects. You can use Might in place of Presence for intimidation, seduction, or building Bonds of camaraderie.   Relic Motif
Health Innate PowerOnce per session, when you successfully provide treatment to a Storyguide character ally that resolves an Injury Condition, Poisoned Condition, or disease, you gain one Legend Healing HandsCost: Spend 1 Legend

Duration: Instant

Subject: One character

Range: Close

Action: Simple

Touching a character, you heal their wounds. This Boon can be used to instantly resolve any Injury Condition a target suffers from, even Maimed Conditions. You can also use this Boon to resolve Conditions such as Poisoned, Disease, or similar ailments of physical or mental health, even if they are inflicted by magic.
Innate  

Finishing Touches

Legend 1

Virtues : PRIDE [_] [_] [X] [_] [_] DREAM

HealthSTAMINA 1-2:
Bruised ; Injured ; Maimed ; Taken Out

STAMINA 3-4:
Bruised ; Bruised ; Injured ; Maimed ; Taken Out

STAMINA 5:
Bruised ; Bruised ; Bruised ; Injured ; Maimed ; Taken Out
: Bruised ; Bruised ; Bruised ; Injured ; Maimed ; Taken Out

Defense : 5 (Stamina)

Edited by Thot (see edit history)

Detailed Creation Step by Step

STEP ONE - CONCEPT

HEALER FROM GAIA

Short Term Deed : Conviction - Prove the power of healing coming from the Spirits

Long Term Deed : Duty - Bring back a vibrant life and pride to his tribe, make them thrive and feel entitled again

Band Term Deed : TBD if I get picked, of course.

STEP TWO - PATHS

Origin Path: Tribe's Brightest Star - Close Combat, Empathy, Survival

Taquka'aq 's father was Aigaq Anerneq, a Medicine Man from the Alutiiq People who spent a lot of time caring for his community over himself, and never looked for a woman. He had lost his parents to an epidemy years before, and had sworn that noone would suffer something like that again. One winter, during a bad pandemic of unknown origin but powerful lethality, he collapsed while helping others in an hospital and it all went black. When he returned to his sense, he was being taken care of by a beautiful doctoress who introduced herself as Winonah. Little did he suspect that she was the actual goddess, of course ! She nursed him back to health, the two fell in love, lived a couple of years together and she bore him a son, Taquka'aq.

When Taquka'aq turned 13, he was already a very big young man, but also very calm and contemplative. She told him who she was, who he was, and that she now had to leave and tend to other duties but that she would always come back, without fail, and see him regularily. The young Scion took it with a heavy heart but dignity, as he knew the meaning of Duty.

In the wake of his mother's departure, he knew he had to support his father in his duty to the community, and worked hard to be everything his father needed : autonomous, supportive, smart. He was always by his father's side, with very little friends to support him. Another boy, Qalnga'aqMeaning Raven in Alutiiq, born around the same time, was the only one to play with him and bring him joy and merriness, along with his share of troubles through which Taquka'ap had to help him...

Overall though, he studied long and hard, and as soon as he was of age, went to Anchorage to also learn the Western Medicine.

Role Path: Community Doctor - Academics, Medicine, Science

After several years in Anchorage studying as a star pupil, Taquka'aq was offered many great opportunities to enter prestigious hospitals, but turned them all down. It has earned him the fervent support of many Native Activists, such as John ArllukMeaning Killer Whale in Alutiiq, and also the ire of some professors who had hoped to get him under their thumb, first of all Nathan Mayer. Taqu cares little for this, and serves mostly as a dedicated doctor, but he knows he can and should go beyond. There are things only he can do for the community, due to his unique lineage. He also knows he can't be satisfied with mere physical healing, and he endeavours to solve other fractures in his community if possible, such as rifts between the Isolationists who wants to retreat into the wild, the Rebels who want to fight back Westerners, and the Traditionalists who advise to weather the current situation and keep on living as is.

Society / Pantheon Path : Mediator with the Manitou - Medicine, Occult, Survival

His closeness to the Manitou means that Taquka'aq also has additional obligations that only he can fulfill. He serves as the go-between between this World and the Manitou to reach harmony for his people. While it often means that he takes a slightly different edge to fix situation, it also means he has had to face things best left hidden, from Man-Eating Elks to Restless Deads or Poisoned Vales.

Lately, a growing concern of his are the cries of the lands and the political moves by one company named Alask'oil, who, under cover of bringing jobs, money and development to the area seems to have ulterior motives if you consider the number of places they have desecrated and corrupted, replacing the original Manitou by others unlike anything Taquka'a has ever seen before. He still has to go to the root of all this.

STEP THREE - SKILLS

Origin : Tertiary ==> Close Combat 1, Empathy 1, Survival 1

Role : Secondary ==> Academics 2, Medicine 2, Science 2

Society : Pantheon ==> Medicine 3, Occult 3, Survival 3

Totals : Academics 2; Close Combat 1; Empathy 1; Medicine 5; Occult 3; Science 2; Survival 4

Specialties : Medicine (In the Field); Occult (Spirits); Survival (Forests)

STEP FOUR - ATTRIBUTES

Primary Arena (6) : Mental ==> Intellect 4; Cunning 1; Resolve 4

Secondary Arena (4) : Physical ==> Might 3; Dexterity 1; Stamina 3

Tertiary Arena (2) : Social ==> Presence 1; Manipulation 1; Composure 3

Favored Approach : Resilience ==> Resolve +2; Stamina +2; Composure +2

Total : Intellect 5; Cunning 1; Resolve 5; Might 3; Dexterity 1; Stamina 5; Presence 1; Manipulation 1; Composure 5

STEP FIVE - CALLINGS AND KNACKS

Healer 2; Sage 2; Warrior 1

Healer Knacks (2) : The Bare Minimum; Combat Medic

Sage Knacks (2) : Blockade of Reason; Palace of Memory

Warrior Knacks (1) : Tempered

STEP SIX - BIRTHRIGHTS (7)

Creatures : None

Followers: None

Guide 3 : Bear Spirit

- Asset Skills : Medicine, Survival => Stunt : TBD

- Purview : Beasts (Bear)

Relics 4 :

- Bear skin mantle : Epic Stamina; Epic Strength

STEP SEVEN - PURVIEWS

Pantheon Purview : Dodaem (innate)

Divine Patron Purview : Health (innate)

From Birthrights : Beasts (Bear); Epic Stamina; Epic Strength

STEP EIGHT - BOONS (2)

Dodaem : Dream Quest

Health : Healing Hands

STEP NINE - FINISHING TOUCHES

Legend 1

Virtues : Pride / Dream

HealthSTAMINA 1-2:
Bruised ; Injured ; Maimed ; Taken Out

STAMINA 3-4:
Bruised ; Bruised ; Injured ; Maimed ; Taken Out

STAMINA 5:
Bruised ; Bruised ; Bruised ; Injured ; Maimed ; Taken Out
: Bruised ; Bruised ; Bruised ; Injured ; Maimed ; Taken Out

Defense : 5 (Stamina)

Extra 5 Skills Points : Academics +1; Close Combat +1; Integrity +1; Occult +1; Survival +1

Extra Attribute dots : Might +1, up to 4

Two additional KnacksOR

four points of Birthrights
:
Breath of Life (and that's all)

Taquka'apTaquka'aq, Wise Medicine Man

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"(English) Please stop this. I can cure that, and we'll talk it out peacefully, ok ? (/English)"

47 minutes ago, Thot said:

@PerilousAdventures

I am at a point when I feel like I could use some feedback, please. When you have some time, could you look over Taqu and let me know what you think, please ?

-Let see Need a motif for the Relic

-You mention shapechanging into a werebear with the Relic Mantle, so let see, 2 purviews so that's 2-dots on the Relic, you want to enhance attack and enhance hearing and smell, do you want this application to a broad application as in can both hearing and smell applies to every actions related to it? Because the numbers might need to be adjusted for the relic value. Note as a reminder also...just to keep in mind, using bear related powers is something that your character can do with Marvels (which most work once per scene) since you have access to the Animal (bear) purview, so up to you how much you want to invest like that.

Edited by PerilousAdventures (see edit history)

Thanks for the feedback.

- I am suggesting something like "Righteous Wrath of Nature" as a Motif, or "Bear's Fury", or something like that.

- Werebear : At its core, what I want is the ability to use something aking to the "Tooth and Claw" Boon. Actually it is perhaps the simplest solution, to say this Relic grants this specific Boon at will, or with some cost to define. The improved senses would be nice but are not required flavor-wise in my mind.

- Marvels with a Bear motif : I am not so familiar with this option (nor plenty of other things, actually), so at the moment, let's say I am ready to invest in this Relic, and we can always talk about it further down the road if needed, I hope.

-Boon always count toward your maximum, so yes it can give the boon but you are limited to 2 boons active at the same time. So you will have to choose which boons are active.

Having the bear purview already allows you to either emulate a boon (usually end up spending a legend for boons that have an imbue cost) or use a marvel like attacking with the power of your Purview (but it also requires to spend 1 Legend).

The healing purview tho, at least give somewhat an easy way to regain legend once in awhile, so spending one legend from time to time, granted you heal people conditions would be to keep up with the occasional use of the Tooth and Claw boon. If you decide to go with Tooth and Claw as permanent you only need to imbue it.

Edited by PerilousAdventures (see edit history)

- OK understood. At this point, I don't think it would be a problem. I only have two other Boons atm : Dream Quest (which requires to Imbue Legend, and is active during sleep) and Healing Hands (which requires to spend Legend and is Instant). So it hardly interferes with anything for now. But...

- You are correct that having the Beast (Bear) Purview could indeed allow him to Emulate the "Tooth & Claw" Boon by spending Legend, I hadn't noticed that. Thank you for pointing it out ! I definitly need to play to learn. And your point about Health allowing somewhat easily to regain Legend is also valid. And there's another one too about the cost of the Relic.

- So all that accounted for, I think I will refrain from going werebear for now, it will be a Demigod thing, or something like that.

And when I really need to grow claws, I will "just" spend Legend.

It also means that Taqu needs some mundane weapons for when he needs to fight, but that shouldn't be too hard to get.

Okay, got it, thanks !

Next I will expand his background / personality, and see if it leads to any adjustment /fiddling or not.

I know for instance that I want to introduce elements to be used around him (family, friends, enemies, and so on). At the moment, I could see a company named Alask'oil for instance... And whether it is fully mundane or not remains to be investigated.

More to come.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally managed to find a bit of time to update and flesh a bit Taqu, adding some family, friends and foes. Obviously to be expanded and discussed with you as needed to fit the game if I am lucky and get picked :)

Thanks !