CONSCIENCE

●●●●●●●○○○

Size 5

Speed 9

Defense 2

Armor 0

Initiative Mod 5

Description

Chilly is 5’9” tall, a little round about the middle with a gut that comes from too much alcohol. He smokes whatever's on hand, often cheap cigars, and carries a flask of gin in his coat. His personal hygiene often leaves something to be desired, moving from one hangover to the next and working some in between. His eyes are slate grey and seem to have all the warmth of a concrete sidewalk. His hair is curly, thick and black and he hasn’t shaved in a few days. He typically wears casual clothing, often not recently washed. Weekends or undercover work typically see him in party-goer outfits, ready to hit the clubs with a vengeance. Because of where he works, and how often he deals with out-of-town criminals, he carries a nonstandard revolver, the Taurus Judge. Chilly’s handshake is like a vice, even though he is by no means a large person, and has nearly failed every physical test the GPD has put him through.

Growing Up In Gotham

Chilly has a problem with the self-righteous authority of the City—especially because most of it isn’t that righteous. And it’s a really big problem. Which is one of the reasons why he is still stuck in Vice, barely up for Detective, with few prospects for moving up or even laterally to another department. He can be grating and intimidating, sometimes even with co-workers, but especially with suspects when in the station. When hitting the streets, Chilly seems to have a knack for being able to make some level of small talk that often gets him into places that tell other officers to take a hike. He has a deserved reputation for tenacity regarding his investigations. His goal is to put the worst scum behind bars, or better yet, if they shoot first, put them six feet under and save the paperwork. Outright murder is beneath him and his rather skewed sense of justice. He has been known (and reprimanded multiple times) for beating suspects who did something when he was present (beating children, force-injecting prostitutes with heroin to make them compliant, etc). Working Vice has taken a toll on Chilly and it’s readily apparent from many of his interactions that he’s haunted by some of what he’s seen. 

Christened Chilton Hamblin Stoble by parents who were from a Gotham family that had lived in the city for generations, Chilly, as he goes by, grew up right in Gotham City. His father, Daniel, was a drunken, abusive factory worker like his old man before him. Chilly’s mom, Henrietta was a seamstress. Between the two of them, they eked out a living with six children in an apartment over the Central Bus Station. Chilly wasn’t that bright, wasn’t good at sports and didn’t have a particularly good work ethic. All of which contributed somewhat to his violent upbringing. He didn’t impress his old man. Hardly held a job to help his family out growing up (he started working at the age of 13, and got involved with some of the gangs at 14). Being small for his age, he continually took beatings from the schoolyard bullies of the inner city. Despite his upbringing, or perhaps because of it, he developed a tenacity of spirit that defies logic. He lived in a neighborhood that bordered three different sections of town. So there were three times as many bullies, gangs, crimes, and generally bad people as there were in other parts of Gotham. 

One day, after a particularly bad schoolyard fight in high school, he was limping home with no money, two broken ribs and a plethora of bruises. An old fellow named Liu Feng, who owned the local laundromat, saw Chilly and offered to help him home. Despite Chilly’s arguments and attempting to violently refuse, Old Feng forced him into an armlock and walked him home, stopping by a clinic for treatment. The old man had seen Chilly fight often, and offered to teach him how to defend himself. Chilly tried to refuse, and Old Feng beat him like a drum to prove the point that the young man needed skills. So Chilly started going to the laundromat every day after school. The boy wasn’t strong enough to be good in a brawl per se, but he took to using whatever weaponry was at hand well enough. Old Feng ensured that the young man-to-be learned restraint though, as well as how to fight—he didn’t want Chilly growing up to be more a criminal than the boy already was. After learning how to face off against an attacker, the young man learned how to talk down some attackers, or at least put them off guard so he could arm himself. Those lessons in when to fight probably kept Chilly out of far more trouble than just street brawls—it kept him off the radar of the bigger gangs, and away from organized crime. He spent far more time at Old Feng’s than he did at home during high school, mostly to get away from his family. During that time, Feng taught Chilly a bit of Mandarin as well, a skill that wound up helping Chilly quite a bit during his time in Vice.

Given his thoughts on how the world worked, and looking at it from the bottom up, it might be surprising that he went to the Gotham Police Academy rather than working for the Falcone crime family as an enforcer or package boy. He actually started work at the GPD with an almost upbeat tune, somehow rising above his childhood. Likely much of that was due to the time he spent with Old Feng. Chilly wasn’t a particularly talented officer in the shooting department, though. Or the intelligence department, the politicking department, hell, pretty much anything one would need to advance in the Gotham PD. But he was tenacious and unafraid to get into bad situations. Despite his otherwise meager smarts, Chilly had a knack for finding things on the street with a quick word and a sharp eye.

But time on the Force in Gotham City would harden even Mother Theresa. After working his old stomping grounds as a patrolman for a few years, he had enough street connections and experience to get a slot in Vice. For some reason, he just couldn’t resist the misery that came with that department. Something about the bottom of society draws him like a moth to the flame. As much as he hated the people he dealt with, he didn’t actually hate his job, despite his many protestations to the contrary. He always hated the red tape, though. The Law ought to serve Justice, not the other way around. After only a few months in Vice, Chilly found his niche. He’s not afraid to get dirty, intimidate the crooks, or even let the smallfry’s go to get at the big ones. But several years living on the razor’s edge with the pulse of the city in his ears and guns pointed at him on a weekly basis has taken its toll. Lately he’s taken to drinking more, especially when he runs out of sleeping pills. His heartbeat is the streets, and Gotham’s streets never sleep.

“I don’t sleep much. Not anymore. Used to, back when I first joined the Force. Too much time on the streets. Too many bodies. Too many bad guys that get away--or worse yet, put in Gotham’s “catch-and-release” program. 'Vice'. Funny. I used to think that was the department I worked in. I’m pretty sure now it’s what you do to make it day to day in this job. Everybody’s got at least one. Vice. Gutters. Trash. The outcasts. The lost and the damned. Whoever the people in polite society, the oh-so-noble rich folk who run this dump don’t want to deal with. That’s who I run with. That’s my workday. Sifting through human waste trying to ‘protect and serve’. Not sure I believe that much anymore, but for some reason I just can’t let it go. Never could. Course when you work in sewer, you gotta deal with the stench. Everything’s shit, so I just look for the really big turds clogging up the drain and get them flushed. I can let ‘Daddy-O’ run his little nightstand of fleshy delights down on 3rd and Oakland, pimping 3 girls I grew up with. Why? Because he tells me how and where to find the Golden Dragon’s next incoming boatload of heroin and thirty human-trafficked slave-prostitutes. I have what I like to call 'coupons' with a lot of street scum--let’s be real, we’re all scum, some just live further out of the pond. 'Coupons' are favors people owe me. And occasionally, favors I owe others. Can’t be helped in a job like this. Just gotta make sure you balance the books once in a while."

CharCreation Specialties (3): Intimidation (Veiled Threats), Socialize (Bar Hopping), Streetwise (Black Market)

EXP: 44/45

9 - Socialize 0->2

6 - Streetwise 1->2

2 - Brawling Dodge

2 - Resources 1

2 - Language (Mandarin Chinese) 1

12 - Subterfuge 0->2 and Specialty (Spotting Lies)

3 - Specialty Investigation (Body Language)

6 - Intimidation 1->2

2 - Contacts (Black Market) 1

Edited by Spider42Jerusalem (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...