Edit History

MidnightPoet

MidnightPoet

18 hours ago, Escheton said:

The Fire Primordial states to add your con mod when dealing fire damage. It is rather generally worded, so I would like to run some situations to check. (take as much time as you need or deal with it as it comes up during play, really. The alchemist fire one is prudent, tho. Given starting expenditures.)

I recall you also asked about healing using the Water Primordial.

As a whole, I am more comfortable playing with healing and damage bonuses than with bounded accuracy. I like fast and intense combat, and I think healing generally yields poor return. I am also seriously considering adding a non-lethal version of the grievous wound house rule, which makes burst healing both valuable and a viable idea for a character build.

First, the added effect from your Primordial transformation is easily identified as supernatural. For example, if you add CON to your fire damage, it may appear as a blue flame (coldfire). This makes it great for slaying monsters, but less useful if you are working at the marketplace.

Second, I would let you apply the effect if the source of the fire is caused by you. For example, fighting with a torch or throwing alchemist fire is normal fire. You are not personally casting or adding anything into the fire. You might cast Control Flame using the fire as a source and add your power to it, turning it into coldfire. But that requires additional effort and actions from you.

This also opens up some fun edge cases such as, what happens if a Fire Primordial crafted their own alchemist fire potions? I would go the route of Persona 5 and lock that ability behind a NPC quest.

By sharing your secret and helping out an alchemist NPC, they learn to imbue your elemental essence into their alchemical fire. This allows this NPC to craft and sell alchemist fire that adds your CON to damage. Be aware, it is supernatural and will have the appearance of coldfire (a supernatural fire associated with the Beast); which would be a tier 1 crime if discovered.

MidnightPoet

MidnightPoet

18 hours ago, Escheton said:

The Fire Primordial states to add your con mod when dealing fire damage. It is rather generally worded, so I would like to run some situations to check. (take as much time as you need or deal with it as it comes up during play, really. The alchemist fire one is prudent, tho. Given starting expenditures.)

I recall you also asked about healing using the Water Primordial too.

As a whole, I am more comfortable playing with healing and damage bonuses than with bounded accuracy. I like fast and intense combat, and I think healing generally yields poor return. I am also seriously considering adding a non-lethal version of the grievous wound house rule, which makes burst healing both valuable and a viable idea for a character build.

First, the added effect from your Primordial transformation is easily identified as supernatural. For example, if you add CON to your fire damage, it may appear as a blue flame (coldfire). This makes it great for slaying monsters, but less useful if you are working at the marketplace.

Second, I would let you apply the effect if the source of the fire is caused by you. For example, fighting with a torch or throwing alchemist fire is normal fire. You are not personally casting or adding anything into the fire. You might cast Control Flame using the fire as a source and add your power to it, turning it into coldfire. But that requires additional effort and actions from you.

This also opens up some fun edge cases such as, what happens if a Fire Primordial crafted their own alchemist fire potions? I would go the route of Persona 5 and lock that ability behind a NPC quest.

By sharing your secret and helping out an alchemist NPC, they learn to imbue your elemental essence into their alchemical fire. This allows this NPC to craft and sell alchemist fire that adds your CON to damage. Be aware, it is supernatural and will have the appearance of coldfire (a supernatural fire associated with the Beast); which would be a tier 1 crime if discovered.

MidnightPoet

MidnightPoet

17 hours ago, Escheton said:

I recall you also asked about healing using the Water Primordial too.

This also opens up some fun edge cases such as, what happens if a Fire Primordial crafted their own alchemist fire potions? I would go the route of Persona 5 and lock that ability behind a NPC quest. By sharing your secret and helping out an alchemist NPC, they learn to imbue your elemental essence into their alchemical fire. This allows this NPC to craft alchemist fire that adds your CON to damage. Be aware, it is supernatural and will have the appearance of coldfire (a supernatural fire associated with the Beast); which would be a tier 1 crime if discovered.