Edit History

matt_s

matt_s

added radio idea (and deleted the birb reference)

Outstanding work, Professor Thompson. Now as to what this means, perhaps we ought to develop that film once Martin here is through and maybe spend some time with the ol' books - if there even are books that could cover this occurrence. And of course my commendations to everyone else.

Tristan thinks for a moment.

How about we move the sample or the cloud chamber, whichever is easier, around the room. Both towards and away from each other, and in rotation. We can mark each location with chalk or tape as is convenient, and associate each location with any novel patterns or occurrences thus observed. Clearly there is some unknown coupling between the chamber and the sample, and a more varied experimentation could help us divine the pattern.

The bird is an awkward coincidence. Perhaps the rock disrupted the magnetic field that it used to navigate. Or perhaps something even stranger was at play....?

Quick, does anyone have a compass on them? Or maybe some iron filings or something electronic like a radio? Perhaps there is a magnetic disruption due to our sample here?

matt_s

matt_s

added radio idea

Outstanding work, Professor Thompson. Now as to what this means, perhaps we ought to develop that film once Martin here is through and maybe spend some time with the ol' books - if there even are books that could cover this occurrence. And of course my commendations to everyone else.

How about we move the sample or the cloud chamber, whichever is easier, around the room. Both towards and away from each other, and in rotation. We can mark each location with chalk or tape as is convenient, and associate each location with any novel patterns or occurrences thus observed. Clearly there is some unknown coupling between the chamber and the sample, and a more varied experimentation could help us divine the pattern.

The bird is an awkward coincidence. Perhaps the rock disrupted the magnetic field that it used to navigate. Or perhaps something even stranger was at play....?

Quick, does anyone have a compass on them? Or maybe some iron filings or something electronic like a radio? Perhaps there is a magnetic disruption due to our sample here? And Martin, if you could snap a picture of our avian associate outside the window there if you please, I would be grateful indeed.

matt_s

matt_s

Quick, does anyone have a compass on them? Or maybe some iron filings? Perhaps there is a magnetic disruption due to our sample here? And Martin, if you could snap a picture of our avian associate outside the window there if you please, I would be grateful indeed.