Edit History

aerin13

aerin13

The Iron Masquerade
Capital: The City of Narsai (Region 69)
Round 2

News and Rumors

A letter to his superiors at the Arkhive Æternal from Mortimer Red, resident Librarian to the Iron Masquerade.

My reception in Narsai has been nothing but warm and welcoming. The Masquerade sent ample help to transport my fifteen large suitcases to my new quarters, and they even had a room full of mannequin heads prepared for me to display my mask collection! Everyone has been extremely polite to me, even the Barons that I've met at dinner parties (the Iron Monarch keeps insisting that I go to those!), calling me "Soulbound Heir" and once even "your highness." I keep having to explain to them that while the Arkhive has a Queen, I am not royalty myself!

I've made plenty of progress on my research into facial attire, thanks to the generosity of many Black Tower priests who have kindly allowed me to interview them. I hope to send a first draft of a new treatise on masks back with my next progress report. It will contain descriptions and sketches of Iron Monarch Thalus's golden glory: the gilded serpentine headdress that is one of the most beautiful things I have ever been privileged enough to behold.

Your Æternal servant,
Mortimer Red

A thank-you note is mailed to High Lord Karim-12 and High Lady Petra, alongside a polite request for High Lord Karim-12 to be reassigned to the Veehran orbit. The letter is signed by the Iron Monarch and stamped with the royal butterfly sigil of the Iron Masquerade. Included are two cloak pins of carved, polished black hematite in the shape of a butterfly.

Baron Gilbert Faustine sends a progress report on Odo Intanran back to Agbada. The Hyena preteen is adapting surprisingly well to life in Narsai despite the lack of bodies of water for him to engage in House Intranran's primary pastime: sailing. The rambunctious adolescent has quickly pivoted his skills at handling ship rigging to instead managing the complex system of pulleys and chains that form the backbone of the underground city's elevator shafts, mining belts, and cargo lifts. Baron Faustine is generally happy with his progress, but does note an unfortunate tendency to play hooky from his noble tutors to adventure with unsavory peers in the undercity.

Actions
  1. [Diplomacy 5] - Create a Cultural Identity, Soul Snatchers, for 2d8 to Assassination/Kidnapping.

This one is long but important!

The problem with starting a cult around yourself leading the masses to Paradise is that, well, the masses expect to be lead to Paradise. Not the true, diehard fanatics, though. All it takes to maintain the loyalty of the upper clergy is a little special attention from their Savior and a steady drip of the supernatural, flavored as the divine.

Alexandre Margaux, diehard fanatic and head priest within the cult of the Savior's Promise, kneels before his deity in private audience.

Iron Monarch Thalus stands before him, the Black Butterfly on his face glimmering in the dim candlelight and his forked tongue snaking out to taste the crisp desert air. If the intricate carved veins of the mask's wing cells hinted at an allusion to circuitry before, the occasional sparkle that now flits from one nexus to another enforces the motif.

"Your Majesty, I can see that the child's holy sacrifice has restored a fraction of your divine power. Please, I beg you to allow me this one question of your sacred will!"

Margaux fully prostrates himself upon the floor.

"How many more until Paradise can be reached?"

A pause, no longer than it would take an entity to do rough mental math involving the lifespan of the man prostrated before him and the optimal speed of soul consumption, as the Iron Monarch slowly blinks his snake-slitted eyes.

"Twenty more excluding the child and the magician. Twenty-two in total."

Instantly, Margaux throws himself upon his Savior's feet, crying, "Take me! Let me be one step towards Paradise!"

Iron Monarch Thalus reaches down and gently tilts Margaux's face up. Slowly and intimately, the Kildoran removes the priest's simple black mask from his face, until he is holding the other man's very soul in his palm. If the Iron Monarch secretly wishes that it were even possible to consume Margaux in this form, it does not show on his face.

Addressing the mask instead of the body, the Iron Monarch responds, "You have done well to emulate me, young one. Your very essence is preserved, ready and waiting for the final call to Paradise."

"I do not accept your sacrifice."

"Bring me those who have yet to grasp my divinity. Outsiders still lost in the dark, waiting for my saving touch. I demand the talented schemers, the magically gifted, and the martially proficient. Let me absorb their skills so that one day I might more aptly carry your soul to beyond."

Iron Monarch Thalus kneels to reaffix Margaux's mask, staring his deepest devotee in the eyes.

"Do this for me, Alexandre, and you shall be the First to reach Paradise. This I Promise."

Margaux, newly christened as the First Promise, leaves the audience chamber to disperse the word and will of his god with a lurid, fervent light in his eyes and a manic, contagious energy.

The Promises have been founded, and they are coming for you.

2. [Military 5] - Recruit a General, Baron Amelie Beaufort, with the tactical doctrine of Rapid Entrenchment: +3 to battle when defending. (She/her, score: 8)
    The Iron Monarch deftly juggles the domestic power struggle between various Baronries by giving outstandingly loyal supporters highly coveted positions within the military and economic sectors. Amelie, as head of the Beaufort Baronry, has decades of experience handing the logistics and planning of expanding Narsai's underground megadrill operations. When it comes to efficiently constructing entrenchments, none are her equal.
  3. [Military] - Raise a ground unit.
    The difference between operating life-threatening industiral mining machinery for pittance wages and wielding life-threatening energy weaponry for pittance wages is trivial. At least joining the army has a chance of letting one experience sunlight.
  4. [Intrigue] - Coerce TP 68.3 for Polymorphite. 13, SUCCESS
    The nobles demand their luxuries and the Savior provides.
  5. [Intrigue] - Secret.
    Fanatics, mercenaries, and thieves who wish to join the ranks of the Promises stalk into the night.
Non-Actions
  • Change hosts rulers non-dynastically to Iron Monarch Mortimer Red.
    Non-dynastic succession: +1 to any two attributes, Growths: +1 Military, +1 Intrigue
    3 Diplomacy, 4+1 Military, 4 Economy, 4+1 Faith, 4+2 Intrigue
    Thalus was already an old sorcerer, and his soul doesn't take long to suck dry. The Iron Monarch doesn't understand why Mortimer Red is willing to put on the Black Butterfly of his own volition, but he isn't going to question it. Mortimer's archival knowledge, cultural expertise, and impeccable fashion sense will be an asset to the Masquerade as the Iron Monarch slowly wears his new host thin.
  • Resist and/or hinder all conversions and buyouts in Narsai (Region 69).
  • Support the buyout of TP 69.2 for Hematite by the Fiorid Principality of Verdalfheim (ALF).
  • Support the buyout of TP 52.3 for Sun-Kissed Maize by the Wicklund Salvagers (WIC).

Reminders for myself

All countries must pay 1 Treasure to the Empire by the end of round 3 or lose 1 Reputation with EMP, can pay as event subaction
Gain 1 Renown the first time you Construct Arcology, Found Holy Order, or Raise Fortress
Gain 1 treasure when Mytho-Historical Data Gathering is complete
Any country that takes the Construct Arcology action before the end of Round 6 may gain 1 Treasure as a sub-action

1_magician.png.2c45d1f7991939cb1e6cc131a0813149.png

"Someone always capable of rebuilding themself can never be kept down."

Iron Monarch Thalus
(he/him)

Diplomacy: 5
Military: 5
Economy: 2
Faith: 2
Intrigue: 5

Ground units: 1
Space units: 1
Treasure: 0 + 1 per round

EMP: 0 rep / 0 favors
WTU: 0 rep / 0 favors
BRG: 1 rep / 0 favors
REN: rank 2

aerin13

aerin13

The Iron Masquerade
Round 2

News and Rumors

A letter to his superiors at the Arkhive Æternal from Mortimer Red, resident Librarian to the Iron Masquerade.

My reception in Narsai has been nothing but warm and welcoming. The Masquerade sent ample help to transport my fifteen large suitcases to my new quarters, and they even had a room full of mannequin heads prepared for me to display my mask collection! Everyone has been extremely polite to me, even the Barons that I've met at dinner parties (the Iron Monarch keeps insisting that I go to those!), calling me "Soulbound Heir" and once even "your highness." I keep having to explain to them that while the Arkhive has a Queen, I am not royalty myself!

I've made plenty of progress on my research into facial attire, thanks to the generosity of many Black Tower priests who have kindly allowed me to interview them. I hope to send a first draft of a new treatise on masks back with my next progress report. It will contain descriptions and sketches of Iron Monarch Thalus's golden glory: the gilded serpentine headdress that is one of the most beautiful things I have ever been privileged enough to behold.

Your Æternal servant,
Mortimer Red

A thank-you note is mailed to High Lord Karim-12 and High Lady Petra, alongside a polite request for High Lord Karim-12 to be reassigned to the Veehran orbit. The letter is signed by the Iron Monarch and stamped with the royal butterfly sigil of the Iron Masquerade. Included are two cloak pins of carved, polished black hematite in the shape of a butterfly.

Baron Gilbert Faustine sends a progress report on Odo Intanran back to Agbada. The Hyena preteen is adapting surprisingly well to life in Narsai despite the lack of bodies of water for him to engage in House Intranran's primary pastime: sailing. The rambunctious adolescent has quickly pivoted his skills at handling ship rigging to instead managing the complex system of pulleys and chains that form the backbone of the underground city's elevator shafts, mining belts, and cargo lifts. Baron Faustine is generally happy with his progress, but does note an unfortunate tendency to play hooky from his noble tutors to adventure with unsavory peers in the undercity.

Actions
  1. [Diplomacy 5] - Create a Cultural Identity, Soul Snatchers, for 2d8 to Assassination/Kidnapping.

The problem with starting a cult around yourself leading the masses to Paradise is that, well, the masses expect to be lead to Paradise. Not the true, diehard fanatics, though. All it takes to maintain the loyalty of the upper clergy is a little special attention from their Savior and a steady drip of the supernatural, flavored as the divine.

Alexandre Margaux, diehard fanatic and head priest within the cult of the Savior's Promise, kneels before his deity in private audience.

Iron Monarch Thalus stands before him, the Black Butterfly on his face glimmering in the dim candlelight and his forked tongue snaking out to taste the crisp desert air. If the intricate carved veins of the mask's wing cells hinted at an allusion to circuitry before, the occasional sparkle that now flits from one nexus to another enforces the motif.

"Your Majesty, I can see that the child's holy sacrifice has restored a fraction of your divine power. Please, I beg you to allow me this one question of your sacred will!"

A pause, no longer than it would take an entity to do rough mental math involving the lifespan of the man prostrated before him and the optimal speed of soul consumption, as the Iron Monarch slowly blinks his snake-slitted eyes.

Instantly, Margaux throws himself upon his Savior's feet, crying, "Take me! Let me be one step towards Paradise!"

Iron Monarch Thalus reaches down and gently tilts Margaux's face up. Slowly and intimately, the Kildoran removes the priest's simple black mask from his face, until he is holding the other man's very soul in his palm. If the Iron Monarch secretly wishes that it were even possible to consume Margaux in this form, it does not show on his face.

Addressing the mask instead of the body, the Iron Monarch responds, "You have done well to emulate me, young one. Your very essence is preserved, ready and waiting for the final call to Paradise."

"Bring me those who have yet to grasp my divinity. Outsiders still lost in the dark, waiting for my saving touch. I demand the talented schemers, the magically gifted, and the martially proficient. Let me absorb their skills so that one day I might more aptly carry your soul to beyond."

Iron Monarch Thalus kneels to reaffix Margaux's mask, staring his deepest devotee in the eyes.

"Do this for me, Alexandre, and you shall be the First to reach Paradise. This I Promise."

Margaux, newly christened as the First Promise, leaves the audience chamber to disperse the word and will of his god with a lurid, fervent light in his eyes and a manic, contagious energy.

2. [Military 5] - Recruit a General, Baron Amelie Beaufort, with the tactical doctrine of Rapid Entrenchment: +3 to battle when defending. (She/her, score: 8)
    The Iron Monarch deftly juggles the domestic power struggle between various Baronries by giving outstandingly loyal supporters highly coveted positions within the military and economic sectors. Amelie, as head of the Beaufort Baronry, has decades of experience handing the logistics and planning of expanding Narsai's underground megadrill operations. When it comes to efficiently constructing entrenchments, none are her equal.
    The difference between operating life-threatening industiral mining machinery for pittance wages and wielding life-threatening energy weaponry for pittance wages is trivial. At least joining the army has a chance of letting one experience sunlight.
  5. [Intrigue] - Secret.
    Fanatics, mercenaries, and thieves who wish to join the ranks of the Promises stalk into the night.
Non-Actions
    Non-dynastic succession: +1 to any two attributes, Growths: +1 Military, +1 Intrigue
    3 Diplomacy, 4+1 Military, 4 Economy, 4+1 Faith, 4+2 Intrigue
    Thalus was already an old sorcerer, and his soul doesn't take long to suck dry. The Iron Monarch doesn't understand why Mortimer Red is willing to put on the Black Butterfly of his own volition, but he isn't going to question it. Mortimer's archival knowledge, cultural expertise, and impeccable fashion sense will be an asset to the Masquerade as the Iron Monarch slowly wears his new host thin.
  • Support the buyout of TP 69.2 for Hematite by the Fiorid Principality of Verdalfheim (ALF).
  • Support the buyout of TP 52.3 for Sun-Kissed Maize by the Wicklund Salvagers (WIC).

Reminders for myself

All countries must pay 1 Treasure to the Empire by the end of round 3 or lose 1 Reputation with EMP, can pay as event subaction
Gain 1 Renown the first time you Construct Arcology, Found Holy Order, or Raise Fortress
Any country that takes the Construct Arcology action before the end of Round 6 may gain 1 Treasure as a sub-action

Iron Monarch Thalus
(he/him)

aerin13

aerin13

The Iron Masquerade
Round 2

News and Rumors

Your Æternal servant,
Mortimer Red

Actions

5. [Intrigue] - Secret.
Non-Actions
    X Diplomacy, X+1 Military, X Economy, X Faith, X+1 Intrigue

Reminders for myself

Iron Monarch Thalus
(he/him)

aerin13

aerin13

The Iron Masquerade
Round 2

News and Rumors

Your Æternal servant,
Mortimer Red

Actions

5. [Intrigue] - Secret.
Non-Actions

Reminders for myself

Iron Monarch Thalus
(he/him)

aerin13

aerin13

The Iron Masquerade
Round 2

News and Rumors

Your Æternal servant,
Mortimer Red

Actions

5. [Intrigue] - Secret.
Non-Actions

Reminders for myself

Iron Monarch Thalus
(he/him)

aerin13

aerin13

The Iron Masquerade
Round 2

News and Rumors

Your Æternal servant,
Mortimer Red

Actions

5. [Intrigue] - Secret.
Non-Actions

Reminders for myself

Iron Monarch Thalus
(he/him)

Treasure: 0 + 0 per round

aerin13

aerin13

The Iron Masquerade
Round 2

News and Rumors

Your Æternal servant,
Mortimer Red

Actions

5. [Intrigue] - Secret.
Non-Actions

Reminders for myself

Iron Monarch Thalus
(he/him)

aerin13

aerin13

The Iron Masquerade
Round 2

News and Rumors

Your Æternal servant,
Mortimer Red

Actions
  1. [Diplomacy 5] - Create a Cultural Identity, Soul Snatchers, for 2d8 to Assassination/Kidnapping

2. [Military 5] - Recruit a General, [NAME], with the tactical doctrine of [NAME]: +3 to battle when defending [Pending GM Approval]
  3. [Military] - Raise a ground unit
  4. [Intrigue] - Coerce TP 68.3 for Polymorphite
  5. [Intrigue] - Secret.
Non-Actions

Reminders for myself

Iron Monarch Thalus
(he/him)

aerin13

aerin13

The Iron Masquerade
Round 2

News and Rumors

Your Æternal servant,
Mortimer Red

Foster progress report for Mappy. TBD.

Actions
  1. [Diplomacy 5] - Create a Cultural Identity, Soul Snatchers, for 2d8 to Assassination/Kidnapping

2. [Military 5] - Recruit a General, [NAME], with the tactical doctrine of [NAME]: +3 to battle when defending [Pending GM Approval]
  5. [Intrigue] - Secret.
Non-Actions

Reminders for myself

Iron Monarch Thalus
(he/him)

aerin13

aerin13

The Iron Masquerade
Round 2

News and Rumors

Your Æternal servant,
Mortimer Red

Foster progress report for Mappy. TBD.

Actions

5. [Intrigue] - Secret.
Non-Actions

Reminders for myself

Iron Monarch Thalus
(he/him)