The 8th Day of the Campaign - About 4:50 AM–5:00 AM

• Solinari: Waning Gibbous
  • Lunitari: Waning Crescent
  • Nuitari: Waxing Crescent

Wheelwatch Outpost

(Everyone)

IC

Round 4 (Concluded)

From the southwest and northwest towers, you hear doors open. The sound of metal boots on stone echos through the torch-lit night. Suddenly, you hear human voice—now west of you—ask, “Hey, where’s that knife-ear Waesna . . . and where’s Smith, and that dwarf, and Barbedaxe?”

A dwarven voice from the northwest answers, “Beats me, maybe they’re talkin’ to the captain.”

“Yeah, but what’s that on the ground? An’ why are all three of them gone?”

“Saunders, it’s nearly 5 bells. Maybe they’re nappin’ or playin’ cards, or somethin’,” the dwarven voice replies. “If the captain catches’em it’s on their heads.”

“No, something’s amiss,” the human says, “I’m going down there to check it out.”

For Coltan, you caught a glimpse of a dwarf in RDAS uniform armor coming from the northwest tower before he left your line of sight—the stables (directly to your west) are in the way). However, because you can see him, he can see you! Coltan throws himself up against the wall to hide, but obviously it’s too late.

(OOC As was pointed out to me, I ruled that for this particular scenario, armors are not conferring disadvantage to the players for stealth checks. In addition, Merituuli’s pass without trace spell is still active. HOWEVER, the first roll in that pair of rolls at the bottom was still a 2 – 1 stealth + 10 p.w.t. = 11, below the RDAS dwarf’s passive perception of 12.)

“Wait! I think I saw something over there, by the gate controls!” the dwarven voice suddenly says, “I’m coming with you.”

“No, warn Lurden, if someone’s after the gate key, he needs to be ready,” the human replies. “If it’s nothin’, then it’s no big deal, but be ready to blow the horn if I give the signal!”

For Artanis, Merituuli, Modri, and Hunni, you’re up against the walls of your respective buildings, so you can’t see any of them on the wall west of you and above you, but if you were to move eastward, you’d be spotted pretty easily.

You hear the dwarf’s metal booted feet scurry back to the north tower.

Jail Cells

For Arlo, Fairla, and Vigdan, you three can hear the above conversation practically overhead, but muffled by the wooden ceiling of the room you’re in.

Vigdan, your quick searching not only finds you a very big, heavy, brass key in the drawer, a sack with coinage in it200 gp, but you also manage to find on the desk papers that include Commander Vanse’s daily reports, along with orders to hold Wheelwatch at all costs, signed “Dragon Highmaster Kansaldi Fire-Eyes.” In the other drawer, you find a spell component pouch (or Fairla’s spell focus, whichever the case may be!).

Arlo, this turn (Round 5), your action will consist of using that previous high roll to unlock Fairla’s jail cell, though you’re free to speak and move in your post.

Fairla, Arlo’s opened your cell, you’re free to move.

Lanal Brint, the Kalaman soldier who was locked in the cell with Arlo and Vigdan, moves over to the door and opens it enough to poke his head out. He reports back to the rest of you in whispered tones: “There’s a gully dwarf, a hulking dwarf, a sea elf, a human, and another dwarf out there and it looks like they’re laying the bodies of guards against the wall.”

“A gully dwarf?!” Elgo veritably exclaims. “Why, that reminds me of the time that I met these gully dwarves in . . .” and off she goes, telling another story with nary an ounce of self-awareness.

Round 5 Start!

OOC

Walls. The walls of Wheelwatch are 20 feet high, with towers and fortifications adding an additional 10 feet for each floor.

Windows. The windows in these walls are 6-inch-wide arrow slits.

Light. Torches provide bright light throughout the fort.

Ixenkuhri. Anyone who understands draconic.

Gate Controls. The north and south gates each have a mechanism to open and close that gate. “Unlocking” (actually, engaging the internal mechanism) a gate mechanism requires using two separate gate keys or succeeding on a DC 14 Dexterity (thieves’ tools) check.

It takes 1 minute to fully open or close the gates using the controls. Opening a gate attracts the attention of all creatures in areas W1, W2, W3, and W4.

Eves and Lines of Sight. I’m going to rule that the buildings in the courtyard (jail (west), store room (attached to and south of the jail), stables (southwest corner), and kitchen (southeast corner), all have a 5-foot overhang for rain, and you can stand as far as 10 feet from a buildings’ edge before you are seen by a soldier patrolling a wall directly over you. However, that doesn’t stop you from being seen by a soldier on any of the other three sides looking directly at you.

You Are Still in Initiative. A clock has started ticking, so to speak. You have to find two keys (Vigdan has just found one), there are three bodies on the ground and blood everywhere. A patrol could begin on any one of the four walls at any time, and someone is giving something a scrub-down in the stables—who knows how long that’s going to last?

Map

image.png.5e62cdfd9fac06d5822c3f864b08aa5d.png

Statblocks

Red Dragon Army SoldierRed Dragon Army Soldier

Medium Humanoid, typically Lawful Evil
Armor Class 17 (scale mail, shield)a
Hit Points 22 (4d8 + 4)

Name Coordinates HP Max HP % Health Notes
RDAS4 (human) Y17 20 20 100%
RDAS6 (dwarf) R17 25 25 100%

Speed 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
15 (+2) 12 (+1) 12 (+1) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0)

Skills Athletics +4, Perception +2
Senses passive Perception 12
Languages Common, Draconic
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Draconic Devotion. While the soldier can see a Dragon that isn’t hostile to it, the soldier has advantage on attack rolls.

Actions

Multiattack. The soldier makes two Longsword or Javelin attacks.

Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

• Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) slashing damage (or 7 (1d10 + 2) slashing damage if used with two hands), plus 2 (1d4) fire damage.

Javelin. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 30/120 ft., one target.

• Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage plus 2 (1d4) fire damage.
Kamishiro_Rin

Kamishiro_Rin

Date

On This Linaras, the 27th Day of Brookgreen,
in the 351st Year After the Cataclysm
(Sunday, March 27, 351 AC)

Wheelwatch Outpost

(Everyone)

IC

Round 4 (Concluded)

From the southwest and northwest towers, you hear doors open. The sound of metal boots on stone echos through the torch-lit night. Suddenly, you hear human voice—now west of you—ask, “Hey, where’s that knife-ear Waesna . . . and where’s Smith, and that dwarf, and Barbedaxe?”

A dwarven voice from the northwest answers, “Beats me, maybe they’re talkin’ to the captain.”

“Saunders, it’s nearly 5 bells. Maybe they’re nappin’ or playin’ cards, or somethin’,” the dwarven voice replies. “If the captain catches’em it’s on their heads.”

“No, something’s amiss,” the human says, “I’m going down there to check it out.”

For Coltan, you caught a glimpse of a dwarf in RDAS uniform armor coming from the northwest tower before he left your line of sight—the stables (directly to your west) are in the way). However, because you can see him, he can see you! Coltan throws himself up against the wall to hide, but obviously it’s too late.

(OOC As was pointed out to me, I ruled that for this particular scenario, armors are not conferring disadvantage to the players for stealth checks. In addition, Merituuli’s pass without trace spell is still active. HOWEVER, the first roll in that pair of rolls at the bottom was still a 2 – 1 stealth + 10 p.w.t. = 11, below the RDAS dwarf’s passive perception of 12.)

“Wait! I think I saw something over there, by the gate controls!” the dwarven voice suddenly says, “I’m coming with you.”

“No, warn Lurden, if someone’s after the gate key, he needs to be ready,” the human replies. “If it’s nothin’, then it’s no big deal, but be ready to blow the horn if I give the signal!”

For Artanis, Merituuli, Modri, and Hunni, you’re up against the walls of your respective buildings, so you can’t see any of them on the wall west of you and above you, but if you were to move eastward, you’d be spotted pretty easily.

You hear the dwarf’s metal booted feet scurry back to the north tower, but the door remains open—or at least, you didn’t hear it shut. In fact, you didn’t hear the south tower’s door shut, either.

Jail Cells

For Arlo, Fairla, and Vigdan, you three can hear the above conversation practically overhead, but muffled by the wooden ceiling of the room you’re in.

Vigdan, your quick searching not only finds you a very big, heavy, brass key in the drawer, a sack with coinage in it200 gp, but you also manage to find on the desk papers that include Commander Vanse’s daily reports, along with orders to hold Wheelwatch at all costs, signed “Dragon Highmaster Kansaldi Fire-Eyes.” In the other drawer, you find a spell component pouch (or Fairla’s spell focus, whichever the case may be!).

Arlo, this turn (Round 5), your action will consist of using that previous high roll to unlock Fairla’s jail cell, though you’re free to speak and move in your post.

Lanal Brint, the Kalaman soldier who was locked in the cell with Arlo and Vigdan, moves over to the door and opens it enough to poke his head out. He reports back to the rest of you in whispered tones: “There’s a gully dwarf, a hulking dwarf, a sea elf, a human, and another dwarf out there and it looks like they’re laying the bodies of guards against the wall.”

“A gully dwarf?!” Elgo veritably exclaims. “Why, that reminds me of the time that I met these gully dwarves in . . .” and off she goes, telling another story with nary an ounce of self-awareness.

Round 5 Start!

OOC

Walls. The walls of Wheelwatch are 20 feet high, with towers and fortifications adding an additional 10 feet for each floor.

Gate Controls. The north and south gates each have a mechanism to open and close that gate. “Unlocking” (actually, engaging the internal mechanism) a gate mechanism requires using two separate gate keys or succeeding on a DC 14 Dexterity (thieves’ tools) check.

It takes 1 minute to fully open or close the gates using the controls. Opening a gate attracts the attention of all creatures in areas W1, W2, W3, and W4.

Eves and Lines of Sight. I’m going to rule that the buildings in the courtyard (jail (west), store room (attached to and south of the jail), stables (southwest corner), and kitchen (southeast corner), all have a 5-foot overhang for rain, and you can stand as far as 10 feet from a buildings’ edge before you are seen by a soldier patrolling a wall directly over you. However, that doesn’t stop you from being seen by a soldier on any of the other three sides looking directly at you.

You Are Still in Initiative. A clock has started ticking, so to speak. You have to find two keys (Vigdan has just found one), there are three bodies on the ground and blood everywhere. A patrol could begin on any one of the four walls at any time, and someone is giving something a scrub-down in the stables—who knows how long that’s going to last?

Map

Statblocks

Hit Points 22 (4d8 + 4)

Speed 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA

Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Draconic Devotion. While the soldier can see a Dragon that isn’t hostile to it, the soldier has advantage on attack rolls.

Actions

• Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) slashing damage (or 7 (1d10 + 2) slashing damage if used with two hands), plus 2 (1d4) fire damage.

Javelin. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 30/120 ft., one target.

Kamishiro_Rin

Kamishiro_Rin

Date

Wheelwatch Outpost

(Everyone)

IC

Round 4 (Concluded)

You hear the dwarf’s metal booted feet scurry back to the north tower, but the door remains open—or at least, you didn’t hear it shut. In fact, you didn’t hear the south tower’s door shut, either.

Jail Cells

Round 5 Start!

OOC

Map

Statblocks

Hit Points 22 (4d8 + 4)

Speed 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA

Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Kamishiro_Rin

Kamishiro_Rin

Date

Wheelwatch Outpost

(Everyone)

IC

Round 5

Jail Cells

OOC

Map

Statblocks

Hit Points 22 (4d8 + 4)

Speed 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA

Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Kamishiro_Rin

Kamishiro_Rin

Date

Wheelwatch Outpost

(Everyone)

IC

Round 5

“No, something’s amiss,” the human says, “I’m going down there to check it out.

Jail Cells

OOC

Map

Statblocks

Hit Points 22 (4d8 + 4)

Speed 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA

Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Kamishiro_Rin

Kamishiro_Rin

Date

Wheelwatch Outpost

(Everyone)

IC

Round 5

Jail Cells

OOC

Map

Statblocks

Hit Points 22 (4d8 + 4)

Speed 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA

Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Kamishiro_Rin

Kamishiro_Rin

Date

Wheelwatch Outpost

(Everyone)

IC

Round 5

For Coltan, you caught a glimpse of a dwarf in RDAS uniform armor coming from the northwest tower before he left your line of sight—the stables (directly to your west) are in the way). However, because you can see him, he might see you! Coltan throws himself up against the wall to hide.

“Wait! I think I saw something over there, by the gate controls!” the dwarven voice suddenly says, “I’m coming with you.” “It’s probably nothing,” the dwarven voice says, not having seen Coltan (OOC: PureChance reminded me that in this particular case, armor isn’t causing disadvantage to stealth checks). “Stop jumping at shadows!”

“No, go warn Lurden, anyway, if someone’s after the gate key, he needs to be ready,” the human replies. “If it’s nothin’, then it’s no big deal, but be ready to blow the horn if I give the signal!”

“Argh! Fine!” the dwarven voice complains. You hear the dwarf’s metal booted feet scurry back to the north tower, but the door remains open—or at least, you didn’t hear it shut. In fact, you didn’t hear the south tower’s door shut, either.

Jail Cells

OOC

Map

Statblocks

Hit Points 22 (4d8 + 4)

Speed 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA

Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Kamishiro_Rin

Kamishiro_Rin

Date

Wheelwatch Outpost

(Everyone)

IC

Round 5

Jail Cells

OOC

Map

Statblocks

Hit Points 22 (4d8 + 4)

Speed 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA

Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Kamishiro_Rin

Kamishiro_Rin

Date

Wheelwatch Outpost

(Everyone)

IC

Round 5

Jail Cells

OOC

Map

Statblocks

Hit Points 22 (4d8 + 4)

Speed 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA

Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions

Kamishiro_Rin

Kamishiro_Rin

Date

Wheelwatch Outpost

(Everyone)

IC

Round 5

Jail Cells

OOC

Cell Door Lock. You can pick the lock of your cell with a DC 15 Dexterity (thieves’ tools) check.

Map

Statblocks

Hit Points 22 (4d8 + 4)

Speed 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA

Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Proficiency Bonus +2

Actions