Erika, Ship's Mage and Windmaster

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2885755

Name: Erika Sanolda

Class: Bard 6/Lyric Thaumaturge 3//Fighter 1/Sorcerer 8

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Role: Support caster

Office: Windsinger, Ship’s Mage

Description: Erika is a middle aged woman of approximately forty years of age, though a life at sea has made her exact age a difficult thing to determine. Her formerly deep brown hair is sprinkled with gray that she refuses to cover or hide. Her skin is permanently tanned and she often wears a smile that never quite seems to reach her hazel green eyes. Her clothing is well maintained and suited for her profession as a ship’s mage, dark long sleeved blouses that are often worn under a water resistant leather coat and dark leather pants. Erika often carries with her a well maintained violin that she uses to work her magic.

Personality: Erika is usually described as charming and a social person, quick to play a song and usually first to volunteer for whatever task needs doing. From lending her magic to help with ship maintenance, to tracking ships and controlling the winds, she is always, always busy. When she does find downtime and is left to her own devices, which is rare, she often looks out over the sea with a sad look on her face. 

While she is usually quiet about her faith, she does follow the teachings of Ehlonna, and typically takes a few minutes every morning to pray when able, and when in port for more than a day will typically seek out a temple to make a donation. Tucked in her pack is a forest green cloth and small statue of the goddess.

Backstory:

In the years since the war, work was hard to come by for Erika. Sure, she could put herself in a tavern and make enough coins to afford the room and food for the night… But there was something about the call of the sea. Fishing ships were always in need of someone to help guide the boats to the best locations, though pay was always limited by the haul and there was little chance of her growing beyond her meager means.

The Andaron navy was an option, sure… But most of the ships seemed to spend more time in port and on short duration sails to fly the flag. Luck seemed to be on her side when a connection put her in touch with a Lord Byron, who happened to pay well for a skilled windsinger for a private shipping company, and for years Erika kept the winds going well and in the direction of the next port. 

Lord Byron, an aspiring merchant decided to do his patriotic part to help rebuild the Andaron navy by building out a network of trade routes by sponsoring and providing goods to the captains who had extra cargo hold for his usually above board cargos. He quickly put her in touch with a Captain Ha'shim and a ship that she could help guide from port to port in a quick manner. While at first she at first kept to her duties, she slowly became tied into the network of suppliers and merchants, and quickly learned the ins and outs of the markets at the captain's urging. Life was peaceful if boring for Erika as year by year, port by port slowly lead to a comfortable purse of coins to spend.

Everything changed when an Iverinan patrol ship boarded and searched the vessel for contraband. Managing to just barely keep herself from being identified, she still had her possessions sifted through. While no one was injured, and nothing stolen, it stoked the flame in Erika that this was not a viable career. When they eventually returned to their home port Erika heard that the Swift Vengeance was in port and seeking a new crew. It was then she knew that there was a chance for her to get that which she desired… Vengeance.

She made an appointment with Lord Byron to ask for a letter of recommendation before making her way to the docks, a new spring in her step that seemed to have been missing for a large number of years.

Stats (40pt buy)
Base: Str:
10, Dex: 14, Con: 14, Int: 13, Wis: 13, Cha: 18
Level Increase 4th/8th: +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha

Final Stats:

STR: 11, DEX: 15, CON: 15, INT: 17, WIS: 17, CHA: 21

Saves: Fort (1 Good, 8 bad= 4+2/3 = 4 total), Reflex (9 good= 6.5 = 6) Will (9 good = 6.5 = 6) (Kelly note, no additional +2 for prestige class)

Skills: Bard (10+INT= 12) x 9= 108, Lyrical (7+INT=13) x 3 = 39, Human +9. 156 total

HP: Fighter 1 (12x1+2)+ Bard 5 (6x5+12), Lyrical 3 (6x3+6) 14+42+24= 80hp

Fighter Variant (Armored Mage)

Bardic Music 17/day

Point Cost (19/19 Points)

Spells (4rd Level) 12pts

XP Pool 2pt

Stats +15 3pts

Wealth 1pts (6,000gp)

3 Feats 1pt

Equipment: (42,000 gold) WIP

Shared Goods: 1,000 (41000)

Heward’s Handy Haversack: 2000 (39000)

Vest of Resistance+3: 4500 (34,500) **Crafted

Elven Chain+2: 6150 (28350) **Enchantment Crafted

Bow of songs: 6,330 (22020) **Crafted

Cloak of Charisma+4: 8000 (14,020) **Crafted

Wand of Cure Light Wounds: 750 (13,270)

Wand of Benign Transposition: 750 (12,520)

Eternal Wand of Friendly Face: 820 (11,700)

Wand of Lesser Vigor: 750 (10,950)

Badge of Valor: 700 (9,750) **Crafted

Gloves of Dexterity +2: 2,000 (7,750) **Crafted

Raptor Arrow (2): 6,006 (1,744)

Temple Donations: 700 (1,044)

Drinks at the bar: 11 (1,033)

Feats:

1) Skill Focus (Perform)

1c) Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot

1r) Extend Spell

2s) Windsinger

2) Heighten Spell

3) Craft wondrous item

4) Melodic Casting

5) Craft Magic Arms & Armor

6) Word of Creation

7) Extra Bardic Music

8) Metamagic Song

8c) Captivating Melody

9) Rapid Metamagic

9) Weapon Focus (short bow)

9) Extra Bardic Music

9) True Believer (Ehlonna)

@KellyCat I might have good news for you. If I'm not mistaken, you should get 9 more character points than you think.

If you spend 9 character points on spellcasting, that gives you the ability to cast up to level 3 spells generally, across both sides of the gestalt. So you should need only 9 points (not 18) to cast both level 3 bard spells and level 3 sorcerer spells.

Edited by Sundust (see edit history)

@KellyCat Also, with bardic music and high charisma, you might want to look into the Crystal Echoblade, Slippers of Battledancing, and the skill trick Collector of Stories.

- oooh, and the feat Nymph's Kiss! (if you can handle roleplaying Exalted)

Edited by Sundust (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Sundust said:

@KellyCat I might have good news for you. If I'm not mistaken, you should get 9 more character points than you think.

If you spend 9 character points on spellcasting, that gives you the ability to cast up to level 3 spells generally, across both sides of the gestalt (and, I believe, across all Extraordinary Skill spells). So you should need only 9 points (not 18) to cast both level 3 bard spells and level 3 sorcerer spells.

Thank you for pointing that out Sundust, that does open up a lot of options, and I will need to rejigger things accordingly. I found the appropriate post, and it is below.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/16350-house-rules-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=229663

3 minutes ago, Thramzorean said:

Hi KellyCat and Sundust, just as a comment the bolded part is not correct. The Extraordinary Skill abilities are not spells as such as defined at the start of dalamb's post on it here and the two mechanisms are not inter-related.

Sorry to butt into your thread KellyCat. There is the soft delete option which'll use once you folks have seen the message.

Ah, you are absolutely correct. I went ahead and deleted the wrong text, for the sake of time. I am looking up soft deletion now...

So I am tentatively going to call Erika finished. I am sure there are mistakes somewhere or other, and I will have to go through with a fine toothed over the next few days. I'll start transferring everything to a final sheet shortly.

4 hours ago, dalamb said:

I like the background, but haven't had the time to check mechanics.

I find mechanics is always best left until after selections... Why take time to make sure that fractions all add up if you are not sure that you are going to like the character they are attached to?