Edit History

dystmesis

dystmesis

I read the Mistborn trilogy, it was okay. Not enough to make me want to read the sequels (in basically a different setting). I couldn't get past the TWO prologues for Way of Kings. 🤪

My favorite aspect of Mistborn is when I realized

Show this

Vin was being lied to, and the epigraphs at the beginning of each chapter were actually important to the plot.

Another series I've seen compared to Mistborn is Powder Mage, probably because the author is a member of Sanderson's writing circle and they're both 'revolutionary' urban fantasy stories. Again it's a case where I read the first trilogy but didn't finish the second, I just wasn't as interested in the characters and got tired of the constant POV shifts that seemed to serve mostly as a speedbump for story.

An urban fantasy story I wish I could recommend is Lord of the Mysteries, which is certainly the best modern Chinese fantasy work I've read, although the prose is really not very good. I have no idea if this is the fault of the translation or the original author.

dystmesis

dystmesis

I read the Mistborn trilogy, it was okay. Not enough to make me want to read the sequels (in basically a different setting). I couldn't get past the TWO prologues for Way of Kings. 🤪