Edit History

Kamishiro_Rin

Kamishiro_Rin

19 hours ago, TheRedGoat said:

I am in the process of making an application and wonder if you're okay with the Tasha's Cauldron rules about swapping out proficiency. For instance, I had an idea of an elven merchant that has more proficiency with artisan tools than weapons. Is that alright with you and if so how should I do that? One for one per weapon or all the weapon training for a smaller number of artisan tools?

I'd say because weapons are weird in how they're categorized, you'd have to give up your elven weapon training for a tool proficiency.

Which reminds me . . .

On 3/12/2024 at 9:53 AM, codexgigas said:

@Kamishiro_Rin I've got most of my application done except for the inventory. Before I start working on it, I wondered if you'd be open to swapping out another proficiency for proficiency with a hoopak. It's a martial weapon, which means that rogues aren't proficient with it, and Kender don't get a racial proficiency. If possible, I'd like to swap one of the other martial weapons rogues get proficiency with (hand crossbow, longsword, rapier, or shortsword). I'm fine using gold to purchase it, rather than getting it as starting equipment.

Looking at the Hoopak, it's got both a ranged, and finesse properties. Would you be willing to lose both the hand-crossbow and the rapier to gain the Hoopak?

19 hours ago, TheRedGoat said:

This also is something I'd be interested to explore. I haven't read all of the extra details across the pages of your game here, but could I have someone who's been captured by one of the Dragon Armies before and was forced to work with them on things like translations or counter-spy work? I have a bit of a linguist theme going, so the I liked the idea of someone whom was basically forced to translate stolen and otherwise coded messages for the enemy side, but have broken away so that they can start fighting back. I will have a mock-up post soon to be looked over, and I can pivot if that idea wouldn't work out for this game.

As a hobbyist linguist--who almost had enough credits to get a minor in it--You said a magic word!

I like the idea. And it works well for both a prisoner in the fort they're currently attacking (if they open it sooner rather than later), or someone who's just gotten into Kalaman not too long ago.

18 hours ago, Shadeus said:

Can you use your starting funds to buy uncommon magic items? There was a reference to consumable magic items, but I wasn't sure if something like a cloak of protection was allowed. The table in Xanathar's says they are 1d6 x 100 gp each. If allowed, and you happen to roll more than you can afford, can you just try for another item knowing that one is unaffordable right now?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I would prefer that you stick with consumables. You'll be starting with an uncommon magic item already. You're free to spend what you can on any non-magical item you can afford, of course, but for magic: consumables only, please. This is mainly to benefit wizards, who need scrolls to add extra spells to their spellbooks, but anyone who wants scrolls that their class would allow them to cast, or potions, that's perfectly fine, too.

Kamishiro_Rin

Kamishiro_Rin

4 hours ago, TheRedGoat said:

I am in the process of making an application and wonder if you're okay with the Tasha's Cauldron rules about swapping out proficiency. For instance, I had an idea of an elven merchant that has more proficiency with artisan tools than weapons. Is that alright with you and if so how should I do that? One for one per weapon or all the weapon training for a smaller number of artisan tools?

I'd say because weapons are weird in how they're categorized, you'd have to give up your elven weapon training for a tool proficiency.

Which reminds me . . .

@Kamishiro_Rin I've got most of my application done except for the inventory. Before I start working on it, I wondered if you'd be open to swapping out another proficiency for proficiency with a hoopak. It's a martial weapon, which means that rogues aren't proficient with it, and Kender don't get a racial proficiency. If possible, I'd like to swap one of the other martial weapons rogues get proficiency with (hand crossbow, longsword, rapier, or shortsword). I'm fine using gold to purchase it, rather than getting it as starting equipment.

Looking at the Hoopak, it's got both a ranged, and finesse properties. Would you be willing to lose both the hand-crossbow and the rapier to gain the Hoopak?

This also is something I'd be interested to explore. I haven't read all of the extra details across the pages of your game here, but could I have someone who's been captured by one of the Dragon Armies before and was forced to work with them on things like translations or counter-spy work? I have a bit of a linguist theme going, so the I liked the idea of someone whom was basically forced to translate stolen and otherwise coded messages for the enemy side, but have broken away so that they can start fighting back. I will have a mock-up post soon to be looked over, and I can pivot if that idea wouldn't work out for this game.

As a hobbyist linguist--who almost had enough credits to get a minor in it--You said a magic word!

I like the idea. And it works well for both a prisoner in the fort they're currently attacking (if they open it sooner rather than later), or someone who's just gotten into Kalaman not too long ago.

4 hours ago, Shadeus said:

Can you use your starting funds to buy uncommon magic items? There was a reference to consumable magic items, but I wasn't sure if something like a cloak of protection was allowed. The table in Xanathar's says they are 1d6 x 100 gp each. If allowed, and you happen to roll more than you can afford, can you just try for another item knowing that one is unaffordable right now?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I would prefer that you stick with consumables. You'll be starting with an uncommon magic item already. You're free to spend what you can on any non-magical time you can afford, of course, but for magic: consumables only, please. This is mainly to benefit wizards, who need scrolls to add extra spells to their spellbooks, but anyone who wants scrolls that their class would allow them to cast, or potions, that's perfectly fine, too.

Kamishiro_Rin

Kamishiro_Rin

Which reminds me . . .