Chapter II: Stopped at the Gate

Gregorotto

1710466354262.jpg.7c6c9ba2eb32efeb569316d00e2bc66a.jpgGaerzil | HP 17/17 | AC 16 | Initiative +3 | Passive Perception 11
Spell Slots: 1st: 4/4 | 2nd: 2/2
Active Effects: N/A

Gaerzil sighs. Another murder investigation? It was either a simple mugging and they were wasting their time, or it has something to do with the damned devil cults. What was the likelihood of there being a third, entirely unrelated conspiracy for them to become embroiled in?

Significantly higher than this being related to your ongoing problems, the Artful Dodger tells him, perched on a shelf nearby and idly cleaning his paws.

Well, objectively, yes, Gaerzil admits, but come on. There's some mysterious fiendish spirit flitting about that can possess people and bears our caravan a particular grudge. That's to say nothing of all the other cults that apparently exist. How many dark cults can one city possibly play host to?

Yes, I doubt the Sharrans appreciate the competition.

What?

What?

Gaerzil glares at the fey feline, then takes his turn examining the letter for any clues.

Once he's had a look, he joins the others in visiting the crime scene and combing it for clues.

Name
Investigation (+5) on the letter
1d20+5 20
Investigation (+5) at the crime scene
1d20+5 12

What Came Before

Qan-Di offers Hravin a grin. "Just promise me that where ever this takes you, you come back in one piece. Oh, and if you see any good noodles, get me some, I need some to make some recipes from home. Maybe I'll share?" She winks.

spacer.pngThe next day, Falburn listens along to their talking and nods with Iolanthe's explanation. "It's not uncommon for folk who emigrate from Elturel to change their name, make it more local. Adding 'gate' is one such method I've heard of." When time to go, Foremantle steps forward. He is tall, muscular, with a perpetual resting rage face; his brown eyes are dark seas. "Manip Tradran Foremantle, at your service. I'll be your guide on this matter." His voice is downright friendly, breaking with the look on his face; his smile is uncanny. Before they leave, everyone looks at the letter and begins reading it over, looking for clues in it. Aside from the blood, there's no hidden cipher to find: there is a straightforward and somewhat desperate request to have a place to return to, as if the city were too dangerous (and clearly it is). The letter is simply that: the blood, however, indicates drippage, as if it seeped from a wound. Dry now, that part of the letter is crumpled. As they finish, Foremantle and Flame Falburn nod to one another and he lays on, first taking them to the cell to interrogate the survivors of the attack from yesterday. There, one of the black-armed guards stops them. "No one is to speak with them. Manip Hithlin suspects infiltration, and we can't risk it. You understand."spacer.png

Manip Foremantle does not stop anyone from trying to speak to the leaders, but ultimately relents. "Hithlin will grant no exceptions. Best we go." He says this with antagonism in the name of Benn Hithlin.

Foremantle is generous with his opinions and his time, answering any and all questions. He leads them first back to the Outer City to speak with Vasha, which takes place in excellent circumstances.

Misty and Io have little to do with Vasha in the past, so now is a good time to get to know her. A human woman in her mid-thirties from the looks of her, she has crows' feet of sleeplessness and worry about the corner of her eyes, her hair pulled back and the smell of kaeth strong. By reputation, she cares for the needs of everyone in the caravan, keeping peace and negotiating where it is necessary to; she listens to her companions, the heroes of the caravan, in all things, though she is only the civilian leader: the young girl Dara is the spiritual center of all things.

"Yes, Hall was their original name, like Segren's. I don't know how quickly they changed their name but the last time Segren spoke to him, he was already a Hallgate. That was when they were children; Markus is the only member of the original Hallgates left, his siblings having moved north to be part of the New Neverwinter project. I think? He mentioned that in his first and only letter." At no point is Vasha anything but genuine, Iolanthe notes, and she answers entirely honestly. When shown the pendant, her face hardens; Gaerzil and the others realize she must be remembering Vollis, the cultist among them.

"I don't know the inner workings of Markus' life, unfortunately. I know like us he and his wife are childless, and I know little of her. Bol... Bolnata? I think? If he had enemies, I wouldn't know it, sadly."

Studying Segren, Mishka finds relatively little to tell. He has a dark green-brown bruise on his forehead, the swelling significantly down, but he could be sleeping or he could be dead. Is he even breathing? (he is)

Once they are done, Manip Foremantle happily takes them back into the Gate, and to the scene of the crime.

spacer.png
spacer.png

"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let’s give it a good shake and see what falls out!"-Minsc, Hero of Baldur's Gate

spacer.pngFrom the Basilisk Gate, Foremantle leads the group along the waterway of the Lower City, the brackish smell of docks filling their nose as the sound of early morning gulls creates a constant cacophony the stirrings of people are now overlapping with. He explains that the Hallgates live in Heapside, but maintain their leadershop in Bloomridge, and it's a straight shot from one to the other if one were to follow the walls of the Upper City, which they are not doing. He takes them down a series of side alleyways upwards in the Steeps, which is true to its name, very steep. The smell replaces brackish salt water with the smell of back alleyways, waste and refuse and the peculiar smell of admixtures. Darker, it is a relief from the morning sun which has already begun its oppressive ascent. Truly, what runs down from the Upper City truly does stink.

Eventually they take a side alleyway near a high set of walls and meet with a group of not Flaming Fist but City Watch, a dwarf coming forward. "'bout time you got here. Name's Velnar: and this is my crime scene."

Foremantle guffaws. "No one said otherwise, friend."spacer.png

He nods at the symbol of the Flaming Fist. "That says enough right there. Right this way."

Sectioned off, the walls are stained with blood almost as much as the ground. The body on the ground is pale, a man in a fine leather vest and what was once a blue workman's shirt, now browned with dried blood reflecting light: blood does seem to take its time drying without natural coagulants. He bears a passing resemblance to Segren, Mishka and the caravan heroes note, with darker hair and a leaner, hungrier face. Most telling of all are the symbols on the wall: the smears of handprints, the clear letters written in Infernal: translated, Gaerzil and any who speak Infernal know it says "FOR THE FALLEN." Bloody footprints indicate a figure of medium height and size, likely a human or an elf, moving around the scene when the blood was fresh.

The group moves to the body. It becomes clear death came from the back, where near the kidneys is a single, powerful incision from a sharp, single instrument. The blow was deft, calculated, and immediately fatal. From the blood that quickly came from the ruined kidney, the culprit created the signs on the wall, the spelling precise but the rest of it less than. There is clearly an attempt to draw something, but it was given up in irritation and smeared over. Gaerzil studies it, recalling the unholy symbol of Zariel. Is that an attempt to render that in the same light, but in two dimensions? How drool.

While most catch things here or there, Gaerzil takes in the entire crime scene, memorizing the spacing, the lettering, the language, the flaws, the failures, and almost able to map out the culprit's exact movements in and out of the scene. They came behind Markus Hallgate, stabbed him in the back without him knowing (the face of sleepy surprise locked on his features, almost free of rigor mortis and thus indicating the murder took place before deepnightCommon term for midnight). The culprit made the symbols while the blood was fresh, then left: but why are there no bloody footprints leaving the scene? He finds them, follows them about fifteen feet along the Upper City wall, before the figure stopped, stepped in a puddle, and cleaned their boots: the puddle is discolored, almost as if dirty but for lack of dirt beneath the cobbles.

Velnar grunts. "Well?"

1710466354262.jpg.7c6c9ba2eb32efeb569316d00e2bc66a.jpgGaerzil | HP 17/17 | AC 16 | Initiative +3 | Passive Perception 11

Gaerzil, walking out of the guard tower providing access to the wall, crosses his arm across his chest and taps his chin thoughtfully. "The victim was caught unawares, some time before Deepnight. The culprit then drew these symbols, which are Infernal runes reading 'for the fallen' and what appears to be an attempt at the unholy symbol of the archdevil Zariel, in the victim's fresh blood. He or she then ascended the wall, likely with the aid of magic, judging by the lack of footprints. Once there, they cleaned their boots in a nearby puddle, concealing any further trail they may have left."

He turns to examine the body again. "I think it's safe to assume this has something to do with the devil cults we've been dealing with." He looks at the Artful Dodger and raises an eyebrow in a silent "I told you so."

The black-and-white cat rolls its eyes and goes back to licking its paws.

"So, we can likely rule out most practitioners of divine magic, since jump, levitate, dimension door and so on are generally the domain of arcane spellcasters like myself, or perhaps the occasional druid or ranger, though... not many of them are likely to worship devils. Of course, anyone familiar with casting spells from scrolls or armed with the right potions could also manage such an escape, so..." He shrugs, spreading his hands. "The only conclusion we can draw from the evidence at hand is that the killer has access to magic through some means or another, which narrows it down to just, say, two-thirds of the city's population or so."

Edited by Kavonde (see edit history)

token_1-2.png.787bd575645206ea3ebb0c28bcc2ce92.pngKeryn Donnathlascen

Moon Elf Rogue 

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 24/24 () | HD: 3/3 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +5 (Dex&Cha)
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 14, Investigation 10. Darkvision 60ft.
Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 14 (+2)
Languages: Common, Elven, Chondathan, Illuskan, Draconic, Thieves' Cant

The Aftermath of the Battle

Keryn nods slowly at the monks correction to his pronunciation, rolling the word around his mouth carefully. It was not an elven name, nor one in any language he recognised, but given Qan-Di's involvement he would treat it with respect. Otherwise he simply files away this information as neither relevant to their immediate situation, nor seemingly to his own goals for now.

What Came Before

Keryn sighs as they are denied discussion with the cultists who tried to kill them. No doubt there are infiltrators, and it is not a poor idea to isolate them, however clearly he is not one of those fool enough to throw his lot in with devils. He carefully notes their new guide's rivalry with Manip Hithlin - a tool perhaps for future use - and wonders if the infiltrating aspects could in fact be the very Flame that responded so rapidly. As they walk to the caravan, he gently props the far more affable Tradan on the subject of Benn, trying to ascertain if the dislike is born of rivalry, suspicion or simply mutual dislike. Hithlinn did seem both officious and coarse enough to engender the latter.

When they reach the caravan he speaks gently with Vasha initially, wary of teasing out any sore points alongside the story of her husband's past. The woman has had enough responsibility mounted her shoulders recently, and though she has risen to the occasion remarkably well for someone without the necessary years of training it takes but one straw to break the constructs back. It seems there is little to be gained from the recent past, though perhaps further back something may be found? When Io takes the lead in continuing the interrogation regarding Markus he is happy to yield to her expert tongue, figuring with at least half-elven blood she should be capable of some feats. Besides, the association had been made with the original party now and she will no longer be a stranger or Baldur's Gate, but a friend of the caravan by association. Much like the others of their party had been pulled into the Fist's confidence. He double checks whether either of Segren's parents are still alive before leaving, though suspects it unlikely with humans leading such pitiably short lives.

What Falls Out

As they pick their way around the crime scene, Keryn is careful to avoid disturbing both evidence and Velnar. He notes the wizard, Gaerzil, seems much more at home here in the city that he had out on the road. Perhaps the effect of being home? Maybe he could persuade the Tiefling that a healthier mind is the product of a healthier body, that morning calisthenics will stimulate his intellect as much as his muscle. Though he's already such little time available he probably can't spare dedicating any of it to projects other than the arcane. With Gaerzil taking the lead in investigation, aided ably by the bard, Keryn does his best to placate the City Watch instead; judging it difficult to offend Manip Fremantle he chooses to draw attention to their lack of affiliation with the Flaming Fist - stressing how they only have the city's best interests at heart - in an effort to build bridges.

He listens carefully to Gaerzils explanations, tilting his head curiously at the wordings on the wall. He recalls similar accusations being levelled at Segren by the creature formerly Vollis. "Devils live for a damnably long time," he muses aloud, "and humans do not. The fiend within Vollis spoke of more to come, and of killing traitors specifically. Now we see further messages of revenge. Could some ancestor of the Hall's have entered - knowingly or not - into a pact that has since been defaulted on? Clearly Elturel is not new to dealing with devils."

He raises a laconic eyebrow at Gaerzil's narrowing of the suspect pool. "On the subject of divine magic, with this being so recent would could perhaps seek out a practitioner still able to question Markus' soul before it departs? Though if he was asleep at the time of the attack as you say he may not be able to tell us much." He frowns, several lines marring his perfect skin. "I suppose the refugees will be keeping them busy as well. I don't suppose, Hravin, you might be able to replicate such a feat...? Otherwise I guess we should visit the widow."

OOC

Action: -

Bonus Action: -

Movement: -

Reaction: Absorb Elements if triggered

Object Interaction: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Rapier . Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage.

Booming Blade . Melee Weapon Attack: +1d8 Thunder damage if creature moves.

Dagger [2] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 + 3 piercing damage.

Shortbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Cunning Action . Your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Steady Aim . You give yourself advantage on your next attack roll on the current turn. You can use this bonus action only if you haven't moved during this turn, and after you use the bonus action, your speed is 0 until the end of the current turn.

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Sneak Attack . Once per turn, you can deal an extra [2d6] damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll. [You also gain an additional way to use your Sneak Attack; ... you are within 5 feet of it, no other creatures are within 5 feet of you, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll]

Fancy Footwork . During your turn, if you make a melee attack against a creature, that creature can't make opportunity attacks against you for the rest of your turn.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Mishka_Face1_smaller.png.7b857c42563202f5bc5ee3cb08f4c1b6.pngMishka Strakeln (Dwarven Artificer 1)

HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | Passive Perception: 13
Active Effects: NA

Spells and Expendables

Expendable Used Total Recharge
Magical Tinkering 0 3 NA
Comprehend Languages (no spell slot used) 0 1 Long Rest
Entangle (no spell slot used) 0 1 Long Rest
Spell Slots Lvl 1 0 2 Long Rest

Prepared Spells:

Level 1: Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Tasha's Caustic Brew, Comprehend Languages*, Entangle*.

*Do not count against prepared spells, as they are granted by my Rune Shaper feat.

Mishka looks over the area quietly, and listens to Gaerzil's commentary. She furrows her brow, though, when he suggests that levitation magic is involved. "Why two-terds of de city? Why not anyone who can hold a knife and write in Infernal, yes? Or meybe just scribble somtink from memory." She points to the darkened puddle with bloody footsteps leading to it. "Murderer kills this man, plays in de blood, then plays in de puddle to avoid tracks, yes? Assuming dose prints are from de murderer, of course. Meybe dey are from some panicked idiot who found dis man..." She frowns more deeply, trying to think things through and consider all of the possibilities.

Keryn's comment on the length of devil lives does make Mishka wonder if she has read anything about the name "Hall" with regard to the infernal forces. "Dat could be, dat could be..." she mutters, to herself more than to the party. "You know, if I were consortink with devils I would not go keepink a journal about it. But I wonder if somethink has been written about it." She turns to Hravin, trying to ignore his comments yesterday about flying among the stars. "Hef you read anythink about that name and devilry?" She ponders it for a moment, but not too long-- most of her reading of history had little to do with man or with devils.

Unfortunately, Misty doesn't speak infernal. Though she has a deep and abiding interest in symbols. Ignoring many of the more salient parts of the crime scene, she starts to focus her efforts on the symbol that was crossed out. She, at least, hasn't seen anything like it recently. Possibly some holy symbol, of a kind. Maybe it was crossed out because of frustration. Or maybe it was crossed out intentionally? Like a symbol saying "No consuming pipeweed in this area" or "Down with the crown."

For the moment, Mishka simply stares at it silently, thinking.

OOC

History check to see if the name "Hall" with relation to devilry rings any bells for Mishka.

History Check for Devil Halls

Arcana, Religion, and Investigation checks, all on the crossed out symbol, specifically. Mishka is single-minded and unhelpful with other aspects of the scene, at the moment.

Arcana

Investigation

Religion

Name
History Check for Devil Halls
1d20+5 4
Arcana
1d20+5 15
Investigation
1d20+3 13
Religion
1d20+3 15

Iolanthe XantheIolanthe ‘Io’ Xanthe

Level 1 Half-Elf Entertainer Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Dex 2 + Leather 11); HP: 9/9 (1d8 + 1); Speed: 30 ft.

Proficiency Bonus: +2

STR: 8 (–1); DEX: 14 (+2); CON: 12 (+1); INT: 14 (+2); WIS: 12 (+1); CHA: 17 (+3)

Bardic Inspiration (d6): 1/3

Spell Save DC: 13; Spell Attack: +5; Cantrips Known (4); Spells Known (4 + 1)

Spell Slots: 1st; 2nd; 3rd; 4th; 5th; 6th; 7th; 8th; 9th

Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 11, passive Insight 13, passive Investigation 12; Tools: disguise kit, guitar, violin, lute, her own voice; Armor: light armor; Weapons: simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords; Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven; Size: Medium; Age: 23; Height: 5′–3″ (159 cm); Weight: 106 lb. (48.18 kg); Hair: Blonde; Eyes: Lavender

Inventory

Inventory

With the exception of starting equipment, all items are in the order that they were acquired. Starting equipment is ordered either by layers from inside-out, or in alphabetical order.

Money

pp gp ep sp cp
0 9 0 13 13
  • Spent 4 gp, 5 sp, and 7 cp on extra gear with starting gold from Entertainer background. Remaining: 10 gp, 4 sp, 3 cp.
    • Converted 1 gp into 9 sp and 10 cp
  •  

Worn, Carried, or Otherwise Readily at Hand

Any item on this list is readily at hand, and either requires nothing to access (such as pulling out a weapon), or no more than an interact-with-object to access.

• 1 costume clothes (from Entertainer background); Adventuring gear; 5 gp, 4 lb.; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 leather armor (from Bard class); Light armor; 10 gp, 10 lb.; AC 11 + Dex; The breastplate and shoulder protectors of this armor are made of leather that has been stiffened by being boiled in oil. The rest of the armor is made of softer and more flexible materials.; Source: PHB, page 144. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 rapier (from Bard class); Weapon; Martial weapon, melee weapon; 25 gp, 2 lb.; 1d8 piercing - finesse; Source: PHB, page 149. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
    • Finesse. When making an attack with a finesse weapon, you use your choice of your Strength or Dexterity modifier for the attack and damage rolls. You must use the same modifier for both rolls.
  • 1 dagger (from Bard class); Weapon; Simple weapon, melee weapon; 2 gp, 1 lb.; 1d4 piercing - finesse, light, thrown (20/60 ft.); Source: PHB, page 149. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
    • Finesse. When making an attack with a finesse weapon, you use your choice of your Strength or Dexterity modifier for the attack and damage rolls. You must use the same modifier for both rolls.
    • Light. A light weapon is small and easy to handle, making it ideal for use when fighting with two weapons.
    • Thrown. If a weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon to make a ranged attack. If the weapon is a melee weapon, you use the same ability modifier for that attack roll and damage roll that you would use for a melee attack with the weapon. For example, if you throw a handaxe, you use your Strength, but if you throw a dagger, you can use either your Strength or your Dexterity, since the dagger has the finesse property.
  • 1 backpack (from entertainer’s pack via Bard class); Adventuring gear; 2 gp, 5 lb.; A backpack can hold one cubic foot or 30 pounds of gear. You can also strap items, such as a bedroll or a coil of rope, to the outside of a backpack.; Source: PHB, page 153. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 bedroll (from entertainer’s pack via Bard class); Adventuring gear; 1 gp, 7 lb.; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 guitar—actually a “yarting” (from Entertainer background); Instrument; A southern instrument from Amn and Calimshan that is a Faerûnian analog to the guitar. Numerous variations have spread across the continent. If you have proficiency with a given musical instrument, you can add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to play music with the instrument. A bard can use a musical instrument as a spellcasting focus. Each type of musical instrument requires a separate proficiency.; Proficiency with a musical instrument indicates you are familiar with the techniques used to play it. You also have knowledge of some songs commonly performed with that instrument.; Source: SCAG, page 124. Additional information from XGE, page 83.
    • History. Your expertise aids you in recalling lore related to your instrument.
    • Performance. Your ability to put on a good show is improved when you incorporate an instrument into your act.
    • Compose a Tune. As part of a long rest, you can compose a new tune and lyrics for your instrument. You might use this ability to impress a noble or spread scandalous rumors with a catchy tune.
    • Musical Instrument Activity :: DC
      • Identify a tune :: 10
      • Improvise a tune :: 20
  • 1 waterskin (from entertainer’s pack via Bard class); Adventuring gear; 2 sp, 5 lb. (full); A waterskin can hold up to 4 pints of liquid.; Source: PHB, page 153. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 hempen rope (50 feet) (bought with starting gold from Entertainer background); Adventuring gear; 1 gp, 10 lb.; Rope, whether made of hemp or silk, has 2 hit points and can be burst with a DC 17 Strength check.; Source: PHB, page 153. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 signal whistle (bought with starting gold from Entertainer background); Adventuring gear; 5 cp; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 potion of healing; Potion, common; Minor tier; 50 gp, ½ lb.; You regain 2d4 + 2 hit points when you drink this potion. The potion’s red liquid glimmers when agitated. Found On: Magic Item Table A; Source: DMG, page 187. Also found in PHB, page 153. Available in the SRD.
  • 1 Lords’ Alliance signet ring (from faction); Adventuring gear; 5 gp; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.

In Containers

Any item on this list is carried in a container such as a backpack, bag, chest, or something else. At the very least, it requires an action to retrieve.

• 2 costumes (from entertainer’s pack via Bard class); Adventuring gear; 5 gp, 4 lb.; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 5 rations (day’s worth) (from entertainer’s pack via Bard class); Adventuring gear; 5 sp, 2 lb.; Rations consist of dry foods suitable for extended travel, including jerky, dried fruit, hardtack, and nuts.; Source: PHB, page 153. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 disguise kit (from Bard class); Tools; 25 gp, 3 lb.; This pouch of cosmetics, hair dye, and small props lets you create disguises that change your physical appearance. Proficiency with this kit lets you add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to create a visual disguise. The perfect tool for anyone who wants to engage in trickery, a disguise kit enables its owner to adopt a false identity.; Source: PHB, page 154. Additional information from XGE, page 81. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
    • Components. A disguise kit includes cosmetics, hair dye, small props, and a few pieces of clothing.
    • Deception. In certain cases, a disguise can improve your ability to weave convincing lies.
    • Intimidation. The right disguise can make you look more fearsome, whether you want to scare someone away by posing as a plague victim or intimidate a gang of thugs by taking the appearance of a bully.
    • Performance. A cunning disguise can enhance an audience’s enjoyment of a performance, provided the disguise is properly designed to evoke the desired reaction.
    • Persuasion. Folk tend to trust a person in uniform. If you disguise yourself as an authority figure, your efforts to persuade others are often more effective.
    • Create Disguise. As part of a long rest, you can create a disguise. It takes you 1 minute to don such a disguise once you have created it. You can carry only one such disguise on you at a time without drawing undue attention, unless you have a bag of holding or a similar method to keep them hidden. Each disguise weighs 1 pound. At other times, it takes 10 minutes to craft a disguise that involves moderate changes to your appearance, and 30 minutes for one that requires more extensive changes.
    • Disguise Kit Activity :: DC
      • Cover injuries or distinguishing marks :: 10
      • Spot a disguise being used by someone else :: 15
      • Copy a humanoid’s appearance :: 20
  • 1 violin (from Bard class); Instrument; 30 gp, 1 lb.; If you have proficiency with a given musical instrument, you can add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to play music with the instrument. A bard can use a musical instrument as a spellcasting focus. Each type of musical instrument requires a separate proficiency. Proficiency with a musical instrument indicates you are familiar with the techniques used to play it. You also have knowledge of some songs commonly performed with that instrument.; Source: PHB, page 154. Additional information from XGE, page 83. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
    • History. Your expertise aids you in recalling lore related to your instrument.
    • Performance. Your ability to put on a good show is improved when you incorporate an instrument into your act.
    • Compose a Tune. As part of a long rest, you can compose a new tune and lyrics for your instrument. You might use this ability to impress a noble or spread scandalous rumors with a catchy tune.
  • 1 the favor of an admirer (A cloak pin made from enamel in the shape of a butterfly; when you take the pin off, it turns into a real butterfly, and returns when you are ready to put your cloak back on again) (from Entertainer background)
  • 5 candles (from entertainer’s pack via Bard class); Adventuring gear; 1 cp; For 1 hour, a candle sheds bright light in a 5-foot radius and dim light for an additional 5 feet.; Source: PHB, page 151. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 bell (bought with starting gold from Entertainer background); Adventuring gear; 1 gp; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 blanket (bought with starting gold from Entertainer background); Adventuring gear; 5 sp, 3 lb.; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 soap (bought with starting gold from Entertainer background); Adventuring gear; 2 cp; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 two-person tent (bought with starting gold from Entertainer background); Adventuring gear; 2 gp, 20 lb.; A simple and portable canvas shelter, a tent sleeps two.; Source: PHB, page 153. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.

Trinket

d100 Trinket
76 A four-leaf clover pressed inside a book discussing manners and etiquette

IC (My thoughts . . .; “My words . . .”; My actions . . .)
11 Tarkash, Year of Three Ships Sailing, 1492 DR

Stonyeyes District, Outer City,
Baldur’s Gate, Sword Coast

"Manip Tradran Foremantle, at your service. I'll be your guide on this matter."

“Iolanthe Xanthe of the Lords’ Alliance, at your service, Mr. Foremantle. I’m in your care,” Io returns the introduction.

There, one of the black-armed guards stops them. "No one is to speak with them. Manip, Hithlin suspects infiltration, and we can't risk it. You understand."

Manip Foremantle does not stop anyone from trying to speak to the leaders, but ultimately relents. "Hithlin will grant no exceptions. Best we go." He says this with antagonism in the name of Benn Hithlin.

Before they miss their chance, she calls out to the prisoners—giving a meaningful, ‘you owe me your life’ look at the man whose brains were saved from leaking out all over the pavement by her quick thinking and spellwork.

“Your executions are almost assured, but the likelihood will increase exponentially if you refuse to coöperate. You are not going to receive some reward from the fiends you venerate, only torture in the nine-hells whilst they laugh at you for stupidly supporting them,” she commands. “And rest assured that it takes a special kind of stupid to place your trust in fiends; even small children know this much. Renounce your cult, apostatize your silly veneration of churlish fiends, and cooperate with the Fist. Your executions are not yet set in stone, and even if you are thrown across the River Styx, at least then, you may yet not be damned. Stop. This. Foolishness. Yesterday.

With that, she turns her back upon them and follows Foremantle out the door.

"Yes, Hall was their original name, like Segren's. I don't know how quickly they changed their name but the last time Segren spoke to him, he was already a Hallgate. That was when they were children; Markus is the only member of the original Hallgates left, his siblings having moved north to be part of the New Neverwinter project. I think? He mentioned that in his first and only letter." At no point is Vasha anything but genuine, Iolanthe notes, and she answers entirely honestly. When shown the pendant, her face hardens; Gaerzil and the others realize she must be remembering Vollis, the cultist among them.

"I don't know the inner workings of Markus' life, unfortunately. I know like us he and his wife are childless, and I know little of her. Bol... Bolnata? I think? If he had enemies, I wouldn't know it, sadly."

“Thank you so much for your time, Mrs. Hall,” Iolanthe says, trying to at least sound empathetic and soothing. She certainly feels bad for how she questioned the poor woman. “Again, I’m very sorry to have to question you like this when everything is still so raw. I certainly hope for the best for your husband.”

Eventually they take a side alleyway near a high set of walls and meet with a group of not Flaming Fist but City Watch, a dwarf coming forward. "'bout time you got here. Name's Velnar: and this is my crime scene."

Foremantle guffaws. "No one said otherwise, friend."

He nods at the symbol of the Flaming Fist. "That says enough right there. Right this way."

“We certainly mean no interference, Mr., sorry, Inspector Velnar,” Iolanthe greets him. Then she holds up her hand, palm-side out, showing her Lords’ Alliance signet ring. “If the Fist getting involved gives you a headache, you’re about to suffer a migraine, I’m afraid. This is hardly an isolated incident and has something to do with that city in the east, Elturel, being swallowed up by the nine hells themselves. Again, we’re not here to interfere with your investigation, Inspector, but we are here to obtain information for the Alliance in coöperation with the Fist. Iolanthe Xanthe. Much obliged, Inspector Velnar.”

Iolanthe is very careful not to contaminate the crime scene, but she does thoroughly investigate it to the best of her ability (See rolls in THIS earlier post to that effect).

OOC

Movement:

Action: Persuasion attempt at the captured cultists / Later, Arcana & History checks into the mix, for all the good they'll do.

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

Interact-with-Object:

(To Whom It May Concern . . .)

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)
Name
Persuasion attempt on the Captured Cultists
1d20+5 17
Arcana check at the Crime Scene
1d20+4 16
History check at the Crime Scene
1d20+4 17

cHP4Kvz.png

Name: Hravin Snaefoss | Race/Class: Human Cleric 2 | HP: 21/21 AC: 14 PP: 13 SS: 0/3

Hravin shook his head at Keryn's request. "Unfortunately, no, speaking with the newly departed is not within my abilities, quite yet. It is a skill I long for, though...especially since we are the new Homicide Squad for the city, apparently. Markus's remains will have to do, for now." With that, he stroked his short beared, to engage in some unchecked thinking, again. "Cults and demons and murders and a city swallowed whole," he mused quietly, "this is big. Oh, this is something very, very big. Bigger than any of us imagined, you know? Like, end-times big." Trailing off, he simply walked around the crime scene, mulling over his thoughts internalling while vaguely examining the crime scene when Mishka's question broke his internal spiral.

"Hmm? Oh, Hall or Hallgate, yes. I'm not sure about the name, but I will reflect on that. Zariel, I assume, is our 'fallen' that poor Markus had to be murdered for, but why Markus? Why him specifically and not, say, one of us, or some other random person we don't know?"

"Velnar! Since this is your crime scene, what was done to preserve the state of things at the time of discovery? Who made the discovery? Were there any books, like a journal perhaps, or papers laying about?"

He turned to the smeared symbol, trying to recall if there were any similar symbols or if the desicrating smear over Zariel's symbol meant anything at all.

OOC

History Check to see if Hravin has read anything about a connection between the Hall/Hallgate name and devilry, devil worshop, magicks, etc

Arcana Check on lore about Zariel's smeared symbol, if the desicration has meaning or why it might have been smeared.

insight check on whatever Velnar responds.

Action:

Bonus:

Movement:

Name
History_Check
1d20+2 14
Arcana_Check
1d20+4 4
Insight_Check
1d20+5 14

What Came Before

Though Iolanthe can tell her words are getting through to the two cultists, the moment she strides away, the various members of the Flaming Fist that guard the duo break into laughter and mocking, to the effect that such a little thing as her could ever sway a cultist like them. They are sure in this matter and have no problem mocking not just Io, but also the two cultists.

spacer.pngArrival at the crime scene is met with immediate friction, and Hravin and Iolanthe know why immediately: the Watch and Flaming Fist do not always see eye to eye. One is a well-funded military organization, and the other is a massively neglected, underfunded, underappreciated, undermanned peace keeping force without the favor of a single Grand Duke. Iolanthe attempts to soothe the situation a bit, with the dwarf nodding along and Foremantle maintaining his irritating but cordial little smile. Hravin brings forth his questions. "Scene was discovered by a washer woman on her way to the Upper City this morn, about a bell's ringing before the sun's rising. We were the first on the scene, and we secured all entrances in and out as well as every residence and business on the block as well as the Upper City's wall. The Fist was informed, and here we are, with you lot breathing down my crime scene. We didn't investigate, we only secured, per our orders. We know any cult-lookin' activity is Fist territory, and I don't have to like it one bit."

Foremantle pays it no remark. Gaerzil walks them through the crime as it happened, step by step, and as he does so, Misty, Hravin, Iolanthe: they all see it as he sees it, as it is described to them. From what is being said, it could have happened no other way, short of a magic jumping spell or potion. There doesn't appear to be any new magic, there doesn't appear to be anything beyond the imagery given: the cult of Zariel was leaving a message, but what about and to whom? Unfortunately, waxing poetic about the name Hall or Hallgate doesn't give anything new: the name is so mundane, how could it mean something cryptic with regards to the baatezu?

A thought is brought up: can they speak to the death through magic? Foremantle lets them speak, then nods along. "I have a contact, in the clergy of Kelemvor. She's been part of this type of thing since the Cult of the Dragon crisis a few years back; I can go get her, if you want?" Given the affirmative, he goes quickly and returns half an hour later with a tall human woman, thin with high cheek bones and white hair.

"Mortarch Gracie Scyre, in the service of Just Kelemvor. Foremantle has brought me up to speed. I can animate the body for a moment, granting you leave to ask it questions, but this is neither a true resurrection nor would I allow such a thing to happen. Once the spell is cast, you may ask this poor sod five questions. Ask carefully, though." She gets to work, casting the spell, and soon after she finishes, a blue-white light fills the body for a moment, before a gasp comes from its breath. The same pale glow illuminates the now-opened milky eyes and mouth.

"Ask away."

Iolanthe XantheIolanthe ‘Io’ Xanthe

STR: 8 (–1); DEX: 14 (+2); CON: 12 (+1); INT: 14 (+2); WIS: 12 (+1); CHA: 17 (+3)

Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 11, passive Insight 13, passive Investigation 12; Tools: disguise kit, guitar, violin, lute, her own voice; Armor: light armor; Weapons: simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords; Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven; Size: Medium; Age: 23; Height: 5′–3″ (159 cm); Weight: 106 lb. (48.18 kg); Hair: Blonde; Eyes: Lavender

Inventory

Inventory

With the exception of starting equipment, all items are in the order that they were acquired. Starting equipment is ordered either by layers from inside-out, or in alphabetical order.

Money

pp gp ep sp cp
0 9 0 13 13
  • Spent 4 gp, 5 sp, and 7 cp on extra gear with starting gold from Entertainer background. Remaining: 10 gp, 4 sp, 3 cp.
  •  

Any item on this list is readily at hand, and either requires nothing to access (such as pulling out a weapon), or no more than an interact-with-object to access.

• 1 costume clothes (from Entertainer background); Adventuring gear; 5 gp, 4 lb.; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 leather armor (from Bard class); Light armor; 10 gp, 10 lb.; AC 11 + Dex; The breastplate and shoulder protectors of this armor are made of leather that has been stiffened by being boiled in oil. The rest of the armor is made of softer and more flexible materials.; Source: PHB, page 144. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 rapier (from Bard class); Weapon; Martial weapon, melee weapon; 25 gp, 2 lb.; 1d8 piercing - finesse; Source: PHB, page 149. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 dagger (from Bard class); Weapon; Simple weapon, melee weapon; 2 gp, 1 lb.; 1d4 piercing - finesse, light, thrown (20/60 ft.); Source: PHB, page 149. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
    • Light. A light weapon is small and easy to handle, making it ideal for use when fighting with two weapons.
    • Thrown. If a weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon to make a ranged attack. If the weapon is a melee weapon, you use the same ability modifier for that attack roll and damage roll that you would use for a melee attack with the weapon. For example, if you throw a handaxe, you use your Strength, but if you throw a dagger, you can use either your Strength or your Dexterity, since the dagger has the finesse property.
  • 1 backpack (from entertainer’s pack via Bard class); Adventuring gear; 2 gp, 5 lb.; A backpack can hold one cubic foot or 30 pounds of gear. You can also strap items, such as a bedroll or a coil of rope, to the outside of a backpack.; Source: PHB, page 153. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 bedroll (from entertainer’s pack via Bard class); Adventuring gear; 1 gp, 7 lb.; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 guitar—actually a “yarting” (from Entertainer background); Instrument; A southern instrument from Amn and Calimshan that is a Faerûnian analog to the guitar. Numerous variations have spread across the continent. If you have proficiency with a given musical instrument, you can add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to play music with the instrument. A bard can use a musical instrument as a spellcasting focus. Each type of musical instrument requires a separate proficiency.; Proficiency with a musical instrument indicates you are familiar with the techniques used to play it. You also have knowledge of some songs commonly performed with that instrument.; Source: SCAG, page 124. Additional information from XGE, page 83.
  • 1 waterskin (from entertainer’s pack via Bard class); Adventuring gear; 2 sp, 5 lb. (full); A waterskin can hold up to 4 pints of liquid.; Source: PHB, page 153. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 hempen rope (50 feet) (bought with starting gold from Entertainer background); Adventuring gear; 1 gp, 10 lb.; Rope, whether made of hemp or silk, has 2 hit points and can be burst with a DC 17 Strength check.; Source: PHB, page 153. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 signal whistle (bought with starting gold from Entertainer background); Adventuring gear; 5 cp; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 potion of healing; Potion, common; Minor tier; 50 gp, ½ lb.; You regain 2d4 + 2 hit points when you drink this potion. The potion’s red liquid glimmers when agitated. Found On: Magic Item Table A; Source: DMG, page 187. Also found in PHB, page 153. Available in the SRD.
  • 1 Lords’ Alliance signet ring (from faction); Adventuring gear; 5 gp; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.

In Containers

Any item on this list is carried in a container such as a backpack, bag, chest, or something else. At the very least, it requires an action to retrieve.

• 2 costumes (from entertainer’s pack via Bard class); Adventuring gear; 5 gp, 4 lb.; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 5 rations (day’s worth) (from entertainer’s pack via Bard class); Adventuring gear; 5 sp, 2 lb.; Rations consist of dry foods suitable for extended travel, including jerky, dried fruit, hardtack, and nuts.; Source: PHB, page 153. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 disguise kit (from Bard class); Tools; 25 gp, 3 lb.; This pouch of cosmetics, hair dye, and small props lets you create disguises that change your physical appearance. Proficiency with this kit lets you add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to create a visual disguise. The perfect tool for anyone who wants to engage in trickery, a disguise kit enables its owner to adopt a false identity.; Source: PHB, page 154. Additional information from XGE, page 81. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
    • Components. A disguise kit includes cosmetics, hair dye, small props, and a few pieces of clothing.
    • Deception. In certain cases, a disguise can improve your ability to weave convincing lies.
    • Intimidation. The right disguise can make you look more fearsome, whether you want to scare someone away by posing as a plague victim or intimidate a gang of thugs by taking the appearance of a bully.
    • Performance. A cunning disguise can enhance an audience’s enjoyment of a performance, provided the disguise is properly designed to evoke the desired reaction.
    • Persuasion. Folk tend to trust a person in uniform. If you disguise yourself as an authority figure, your efforts to persuade others are often more effective.
    • Create Disguise. As part of a long rest, you can create a disguise. It takes you 1 minute to don such a disguise once you have created it. You can carry only one such disguise on you at a time without drawing undue attention, unless you have a bag of holding or a similar method to keep them hidden. Each disguise weighs 1 pound. At other times, it takes 10 minutes to craft a disguise that involves moderate changes to your appearance, and 30 minutes for one that requires more extensive changes.
  • 1 violin (from Bard class); Instrument; 30 gp, 1 lb.; If you have proficiency with a given musical instrument, you can add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to play music with the instrument. A bard can use a musical instrument as a spellcasting focus. Each type of musical instrument requires a separate proficiency. Proficiency with a musical instrument indicates you are familiar with the techniques used to play it. You also have knowledge of some songs commonly performed with that instrument.; Source: PHB, page 154. Additional information from XGE, page 83. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 the favor of an admirer (A cloak pin made from enamel in the shape of a butterfly; when you take the pin off, it turns into a real butterfly, and returns when you are ready to put your cloak back on again) (from Entertainer background)
  • 5 candles (from entertainer’s pack via Bard class); Adventuring gear; 1 cp; For 1 hour, a candle sheds bright light in a 5-foot radius and dim light for an additional 5 feet.; Source: PHB, page 151. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 bell (bought with starting gold from Entertainer background); Adventuring gear; 1 gp; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 blanket (bought with starting gold from Entertainer background); Adventuring gear; 5 sp, 3 lb.; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 soap (bought with starting gold from Entertainer background); Adventuring gear; 2 cp; Source: PHB, page 150. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.
  • 1 two-person tent (bought with starting gold from Entertainer background); Adventuring gear; 2 gp, 20 lb.; A simple and portable canvas shelter, a tent sleeps two.; Source: PHB, page 153. Available in the SRD and the Basic Rules.

Trinket

d100 Trinket

After the Mortarch left to retrieve the priest, Iolanthe turns to the group.

“What should we ask?” Iolanthe asked her fellow party members. “I feel like asking ‘Do you know who killed you?’ will result in a yes or no, with no further elaboration—probably just wasting one of our available questions.”

She thought a moment and then said, “Given he was stabbed in the back, I’d imagine a ‘Who killed you?’ will be equally fruitless, but I think it’s still worth a try . . . No! Wait! How about, ‘What did your killer look like?’? That would probably be better. Ooh! How about, ‘Why would someone want to kill you?’ and ‘What’s your association with . . .’ well, whatever that cult’s name is?”

OOC

Movement:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

Interact-with-Object:

Mishka Strakeln (Dwarven Artificer 1)

HP: 10/10 | AC: 14 | Passive Perception: 13
Active Effects: NA

Spells and Expendables

Expendable Used Total Recharge
Magical Tinkering 0 3 NA
Comprehend Languages (no spell slot used) 0 1 Long Rest
Entangle (no spell slot used) 0 1 Long Rest
Spell Slots Lvl 1 0 2 Long Rest

Prepared Spells:

Level 1: Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Tasha's Caustic Brew, Comprehend Languages*, Entangle*.

*Do not count against prepared spells, as they are granted by my Rune Shaper feat.

Mishka frowns and tries to think through the questions that they might ask while Io talks through things. "Hrm. You are right, Io. We hef to be careful about how we werd dese tinks. I am sometimes not understandink how dis magic werks. My cousin, he would sometimes speak to de dead from de battlefield. Friends who were slain in kombat. And he would ask dem 'what did you last see?' or 'who killed you?' and the dead would answer cryptically! Like dey did not want us to know who killed dem. Like dey did not want to be avenged. ooMOO ni pastiZHEEmah!" She utters something strange in her native dwarven dialect. "Life would be so much easier if de dead were helpful, no?" She asks to no one in particular, though any nearby necromancers might perk up their ears.

"Anywey-- Questions, questions... Maybe 'What did you see in your last 5 minutes of life'? Maybe he just says one tink like "A wall" and den laughs at us. 'Who do you tink hated you most on the day you died?' perheps? Hm, also because he is far from home and from werk, maybe even 'Where were you goink when you were killed'? I like your questions about de association with dis group, if we know dere likely name. If we don't know de name, or Meester Hallgate does not know dere name, it is meybe a wasted question... And if he was stebbed in de back, he probably does not know what his killer looked like any more dan he knows his killer's name..."

As the group considers the various questions they might ask, Mishka tries to bounce further ideas and criticisms off of her allies, though sometimes comes across a bit more harsh than she means to.

OOC

I'm trying to write this out somewhat like natural conversation, but I know things can get lost, and it can be difficult to quickly reach a group consensus. I think the most likely questions so far (In order of importance, in my personal estimation):

1. Why would someone want to kill you?
  2. Where was your intended destination the night you were killed?
  3. What did your killer look like? / What did you see in the last 5 minutes of your life? (Not sure which is the better play-- second is more generic and might include the first, but less specificity might get less clear information...)
  4. Who killed you? / What is the name of the person you think hated you most? (Again, not sure on the best play here, but I feel like these are related.)
  5. What is your association with [organization]? (Assuming we can identify the organization...)

token_1-2.png.787bd575645206ea3ebb0c28bcc2ce92.pngKeryn Donnathlascen

Moon Elf Rogue 

AC: 14 (Leather) | HP: 24/24 () | HD: 3/3 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +5 (Dex&Cha)
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 14, Investigation 10. Darkvision 60ft.
Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 10 (+0) | Cha: 14 (+2)
Languages: Common, Elven, Chondathan, Illuskan, Draconic, Thieves' Cant

Keryn inclines his head towards the cleric of Kelemvor - his kind had little need for their services often, but with the current state of affairs as Hravin outlined it you never knew. He runs a meticulously clean hand through silken hair as he thinks on the question, listening to Io and Mishka's input. For all it was his suggestion, he too did not understand the details of the divine magic. "I don't see why the dead would be so cryptic," he mutters, "given we are not his enemy." He sighs, before continuing, "I agree though - 'Who killed you' and the like are unlikely to be productive, given his swift death and the direction of the blade. A list of enemies who would wish him dead may be more fruitful, though many delude themselves into believing none would wish their demise. What his business was out here seems like it would be telling as well." He paused, contemplative as he watched the cleric work. "Any questions about the cult would perhaps have to be worded carefully, given we don't know his allegiance. Perhaps something regarding ancestry and why he sought to change his name?" He nods towards Io, "Whatever is decided, I suggest our bard asks. Whilst I have learned some skill with words from court, I have not dedicated my life to it, though I am happy to add what little knowledge I can."

Questions
  1. I would suggest changing Why to Who would want to kill you
  2. Perhaps something more open, such as "What was your business last night?" - in a live game I would suggest tailoring specificity of the questions based on how cryptic the GM's answers were to the first question, but that's not feasible in PbP. Maybe Gregorotto can give us a hint about how much of a dick dead dude will be?
  3. He was stabbed in the back wasn't he? In the kidney? I don't think this will be a productive question, partly in character people would be aware of this magic and might go to some efforts to hide their identity (or might anyway if stalking about stabbing people at night), and partly OOC it would make the investigation too straightforward
  4. I would have this rolled into (1)
  5. Seems good - maybe just call it the Cult of Zariel? Or devil-cult?

Knocking out 3&4 would leave two questions open, I'd suggest leaving (5) blank in case he comes up with some tidbit we want to expand on (or replace it with the description of the killer if nothing else needs expansion) - most likely related to his answer about the Cult, and maybe for (4) either "Who or What are the traitor-bloods" or "Why did you change your name and abandon your family?"

Simply leaving the family farm and Elturel would be fine, but why change his name when doing so unless wanting to escape something?

OOC

Action: "Help" (for advantage) Io with any persuasion check required, perhaps described as planning the exact phrasing of the questions to avoid (or encompass) hidden meanings.

Bonus Action: -

Movement: -

Reaction: Absorb Elements if triggered

Object Interaction: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Rapier . Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage.

Booming Blade . Melee Weapon Attack: +1d8 Thunder damage if creature moves.

Dagger [2] . Thrown/Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 + 3 piercing damage.

Shortbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Cunning Action . Your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Steady Aim . You give yourself advantage on your next attack roll on the current turn. You can use this bonus action only if you haven't moved during this turn, and after you use the bonus action, your speed is 0 until the end of the current turn.

Reactions:

Absorb Elements 1/1

Class Features:

Sneak Attack . Once per turn, you can deal an extra [2d6] damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll. [You also gain an additional way to use your Sneak Attack; ... you are within 5 feet of it, no other creatures are within 5 feet of you, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll]

Fancy Footwork . During your turn, if you make a melee attack against a creature, that creature can't make opportunity attacks against you for the rest of your turn.

Gaerzil nods in agreement with Keryn. "Yes. He was stabbed from behind; at best, he saw his attacker's boots, and I doubt he was a skilled enough cobbler for that to be a vital clue."

He taps his chin thoughtfully with his index finger. "The other questions aren't bad. Where was he off to, who would want to kill him, and whether or not he's associated with the Cult of Zariel. If he says no to that one, perhaps we could ask him if he's associated with the Cult of Dis instead. Otherwise... hmm." After a second, his face lights up and he raises his finger excitedly. "Aha! His brother! We should ask what reasons he had beyond those stated in his letter to reach out to his sadly comatose brother."

Iolanthe ‘Io’ XantheIolanthe ‘Io’ Xanthe

Inventory

Inventory

Money

pp gp ep sp cp
0 9 0 13 13
  •  

In Containers

Trinket

d100 Trinket

Iolanthe Asks a Cobler Some Questions

“I like the questions,” Iolanthe says, nodding thoughtfully. “And I like your ideas of leaving some ‘slots’ open depending on what the answers are and how forthcoming Mr. Hallgate’s corpse is with those answers. How about we just start with the first: ‘Who would want to kill you?’, and then go from there?”

Somewhat paranoid about the possibility, Iolanthe decides to get all of her ducks in a row . . . just in case . . .

“I’m going to ritual-cast the comprehend languages spell upon myself,” Iolanthe explains, “before we get this party started. I know it won’t let me speak any languages I can’t speak, but I’m worried that the corpse will start spouting some demonic gibberish or fiendish gobbledygook, and I’d rather us not be stymied just because some demon or devil possessing this poor lout thinks it’s getting one over on us by answering truthfully in a tongue none of us can understand.”

Ten minutes before the Mortarch returns with the priest, takes a seat in the corner, where she won’t contaminate the crime scene—or get any blood on herself!—and she begins playing an odd tune and singing magical words. Unlike normal spell casting, this song takes the form of a chant, repeated a few times, though the verse is quite long in and of itself.

♪♫♪

أيها الآلهة القديرة، إني آتي إليك بالصلاةOh mighty gods, I come to thee in prayer
Beseeching for a gift beyond compare
Grant me the ability to comprehend
All languages of the universe unend

With understanding of each spoken word
I’ll bridge the gap where language barriers stirred
No longer lost in translation’s haze
I’ll navigate the world with seamless grace

From ancient tongues of long-forgotten lore
To futuristic dialects yet to explore
I’ll unravel secrets hidden in plain sight
And foster unity with newfound insight

No longer bound by boundaries of speech
I’ll connect with souls beyond my reach
Oh gods above, hear my humble plea
Bestow upon me this gift, so I may see

The beauty in diversity of tongue
And forge connections that can’t be undone
Grant me the wisdom to comprehend
All languages of the universe, my friend

For in this mastery, I’ll find my place
A vessel of knowledge, a beacon of grace
So I implore thee, gods of land and sky
Grant me this gift, and let my spirit fly.

I’ll travel far and wide, from shore to shore
Embracing cultures I’ve yet to explore
With every word that I now understand
I’ll unite the world, hand in hand

Let me be the bridge between mankind
With the gift of language, pure and kind
Oh gods, grant me this wondrous art
And I’ll use it to heal, not tear apart.

In every tongue, I’ll hear the song
Of humanity’s spirit, pure and strong
For language is the key to unlock
The mysteries of life, the ticking clock

Grant me this gift, oh gods divine
And I’ll honor it with all my time
To understand, to empathize
To see the world through others’ eyes

So hear my plea, oh gods above
Grant me the gift of universal love
Through language, we’ll find our common ground
And unity in diversity will abound.

With this ability, I’ll bind the world
In harmony, where flags are furled
And all will know the power of speech
To unite us all, within our reach.

Oh gods, I pray thee, hear my call
And grant me this gift, once and for all
With understanding of all tongues
I’ll bring peace to all, old and young.

In every word, I’ll find a gem
And share it with the world, a priceless gem
Oh gods, I thank thee for this grace
And promise to use it in a virtuous place.

So let it be, my destiny foretold
To understand all, both young and old
With this gift, I’ll soar above
And spread the message of universal love.

التسول للحصول على هدية لا مثيل لها‘ayuha alalihat alqadirat, ‘iiniy ati ‘iilayk bialsala
altasawul lilhusul ealaa hadiat la mathil laha
amnahni alqudrat ealaa alfahm
kulu lughat alkawn la tantahi

mae fahm kuli kalimat mantuqa
sa’aqum bisadi alfajwat hayth taharakat hawajiz allugha
lam taeud tadie fi dabab altarjama
sawf ‘abhar fi alealam biniemat salisatan

min allughat alqadimat liltaqalid almansiat mundh zaman tawil
‘iilaa allahajat almustaqbaliat alati lam yatima aistikshafuha baed
sa’akshif al’asrar almakhfiat ealaa maraa min aljamie
wataeziz alwahdat mae albasirat almuktashafat hadithan

lam taeud muqayadat bihudud alkalam
sa’atawasal mae alnufus albaeidat ean mutanawal yadi
‘ayuha alalihat ‘aelahu, astamae ‘iilaa nidayiy almutawadie
amnahni hadhih alhadiat hataa ‘araa

jamal tanawue allisan
watakwin aitisalat la yumkin altarajue eanha
amnahni alhikmat li’afham
kulu lughat alkawn ya sadiqi

li’anah fi hadha al’iitqani, sa’ajid makani
wiea’ almaerifati, wamanarat alniema
lidhalik ‘unashiduk ya alihat al’ard walsama’
‘aetini hadhih alhadiata, wadae ruhi tatir.

sa’usafir beydaan waealaa nitaq wasie, min alshaati ‘iilaa alshaati
aihtidan althaqafat alati lam ‘astakshifha baed
mae kuli kalimat ‘afhamuha alan
sa’uwhid alealami, ydaan biad

asmahuu li ‘an ‘akun aljisr bayn albashar
mae hadiat allughati, naqiat walatifatan
ya ‘iilahi arzuqni hadha alfanu aleajib
wasa’astakhdimuh lilshifa’i, walays liltamazuqi.

bikuli lisan, sa’asmae al’ughnia
min ruh al’iinsaniati, naqiat waqawia
li’ana allughat hi miftah alfath
‘asrar alhayati, alsaaeat alati taduqu

amnahni hadhih alhadiat yia alihatan ‘iilahiatan
wasa’akrimuh bikuli waqtiin
lifaham, liltaeatuf
‘an taraa alealam min khilal euyun alakharin

fasmae tadaraei ‘ayuha alualihat aleulwia
amnahni hadiat alhubi alealamii
wamin khilal allughati, sanajid al’ardiat almushtarakat baynana
wasawf takthur alwahdat fi altanawuei.

bihadhih alqudrati, sa’arbit alealam
fi wiaam, hayth yatimu lafu al’aelam
wasayaerif aljamie quat alkalam
litawhidina jamiea, fi mutanawal ‘aydina.

ya alihatan, ‘adeuki, asmae nidayiy
wamnahni hadhih alhadiat maratan wahidatan wa’iilaa al’abad
wabifahm kuli allughat
sa’ajlib alsalam liljamiei, kbaran wsgharan.

fi kuli kalimatin, sa’ajid jawharatan
wamusharakatuha mae alealami, jawharat la tuqadar bithaman
ya ‘iilahi ‘ashkuruk ealaa hadhih alniema
wawaead biastikhdamih fi almakan alfadili.

falikun, laqad tanabaa qadiri
likay yafham aljamie alsighar walkibar
bihadhih alhadiat sa’uhaliq ealian
wanashar risalat alhubi alealamii.

امنحني القدرة على الفهم
كل لغات الكون لا تنتهي

♫♪♫

مع فهم كل كلمة منطوقة
سأقوم بسد الفجوة حيث تحركت حواجز اللغة
لم تعد تضيع في ضباب الترجمة
سوف أبحر في العالم بنعمة سلسة

♪♫♪

من اللغات القديمة للتقاليد المنسية منذ زمن طويل
إلى اللهجات المستقبلية التي لم يتم استكشافها بعد
سأكشف الأسرار المخفية على مرأى من الجميع
وتعزيز الوحدة مع البصيرة المكتشفة حديثا

♫♪♫

لم تعد مقيدة بحدود الكلام
سأتواصل مع النفوس البعيدة عن متناول يدي
أيها الآلهة أعلاه، استمع إلى ندائي المتواضع
امنحني هذه الهدية حتى أرى

♪♫♪

جمال تنوع اللسان
وتكوين اتصالات لا يمكن التراجع عنها
امنحني الحكمة لأفهم
كل لغات الكون يا صديقي

♫♪♫

لأنه في هذا الإتقان، سأجد مكاني
وعاء المعرفة، ومنارة النعمة
لذلك أناشدك يا آلهة الأرض والسماء
أعطني هذه الهدية، ودع روحي تطير.

♪♫♪

سأسافر بعيداً وعلى نطاق واسع، من الشاطئ إلى الشاطئ
احتضان الثقافات التي لم أستكشفها بعد
مع كل كلمة أفهمها الآن
سأوحد العالم، يداً بيد

♫♪♫

اسمحوا لي أن أكون الجسر بين البشر
مع هدية اللغة، نقية ولطيفة
يا إلهي ارزقني هذا الفن العجيب
وسأستخدمه للشفاء، وليس للتمزق.

♪♫♪

بكل لسان، سأسمع الأغنية
من روح الإنسانية، نقية وقوية
لأن اللغة هي مفتاح الفتح
أسرار الحياة، الساعة التي تدق

♫♪♫

امنحني هذه الهدية يا آلهة إلهية
وسأكرمه بكل وقتي
لفهم، للتعاطف
أن ترى العالم من خلال عيون الآخرين

♪♫♪

فاسمع تضرعي أيها الآلهة العلوية
امنحني هدية الحب العالمي
ومن خلال اللغة، سنجد الأرضية المشتركة بيننا
وسوف تكثر الوحدة في التنوع.

♫♪♫

بهذه القدرة، سأربط العالم
في وئام، حيث يتم لف الأعلام
وسيعرف الجميع قوة الكلام
لتوحيدنا جميعا، في متناول أيدينا.

♪♫♪

يا آلهة، أدعوك، اسمع ندائي
وامنحني هذه الهدية مرة واحدة وإلى الأبد
وبفهم كل اللغات
سأجلب السلام للجميع، كبارًا وصغارًا.

♫♪♫

في كل كلمة، سأجد جوهرة
ومشاركتها مع العالم، جوهرة لا تقدر بثمن
يا إلهي أشكرك على هذه النعمة
ووعد باستخدامه في المكان الفاضل.

♪♫♪

فليكن، لقد تنبأ قدري
لكي يفهم الجميع الصغار والكبار
بهذه الهدية سأحلق عاليا
ونشر رسالة الحب العالمي.

♫♪♫

As she sings, the magic of the spell begins to build and swirl around her. Her eyes glow and her voice becomes otherworldly, angelic, and ethereal. And after ten minutes, the ritual seems to burst in a shower of light rays, sparks, and magic as a mantle of stars rests upon her before evaporating into nothingness.

The ritual casting of the comprehend languages spell finished, Iolanthe now understands all the languages!

After much conversation, the Mortarch returns with the priest and the priest casts the speak with dead spell. A semblance of life and intelligence returns to Mr. Hallgate’s corpse.

“Who would want to kill you?” she asks the semi-revitalized corpse. With quite a bit of help from Keryn on the exactitude of phrasing to avoid—or encompass—hidden meanings behind the questions’ words, she tries to ask it with her most persuasive flare, as if to communicate that we’re on its side, and just want to help it receive justice.

Iolanthe paused and waited for the corpse to answer, and then asked her next two questions, likewise: “Why would someone want to kill you?” followed by “What was your business last night?”

OOC

If possible, I’d ask that she be able to use her passive Persuasion score for the questioning here, with a +5 from Keryn’s help action (for a total of 20)—just kind of . . . radiating blasting Mr. Hallgate’s corpse with that persuasiveness—an air about her, permeating her words and tone.

Movement:

Action: Spending 10 minutes to ritual-cast the comprehend languages spell on herself, just in case.

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

Interact-with-Object:

While the spell works its magic on the body, the group discusses how to approach their questions. As they do, Iolanthe wraps her own magic around the group and on the corpse, slowly the infusion of magic and music wrapping itself around the cold dead body of Markus Hallgate and finally, the Mortarch's eyes begin to glow and soon, Markus Hallgate's eyes open and a light emerges from his mouth and eyes. He moves in jerky movements towards the sound of voices, and it is the elven bard who comes forward to ask the first three questions.spacer.png

Markus speaks slowly, in a deep, firm but distant voice. "I can think of no enemies I had in life. I was not always the friendliest man, but I was fair and decent to those who treated me similarly. My wife and I were partners in all things, be it business or life, though she liked to dance and I did not. Our neighbors liked us, my customers liked us, and our competitors were congenial in most cases." He stops, and soon comes the next question. "Can't think of why. Competition, maybe. Could be a random mugging: did they rob my body? Crime in the Gate is out of hand, particularly with this new refugee crisis. Not the refugee's part: people are animals in the Gate."

Then the final question. "I was up late finishing an order that goes out tomorrow. Today? Once I was done, I locked up shop and started home like I always do. I knew Bolnata would be out dancing so I was going to stop and pick up some food at Dontario's Drinks and Doughnuts; he makes the best Raven's Bluff doughnuts. I took my usual route along the wall. Then, there was a sting, and nothing."

Two questions remain.

Out of Character

Going to give Iolanthe inspiration for the music choices!

Edited by Gregorotto (see edit history)

Iolanthe ‘Io’ XantheIolanthe ‘Io’ Xanthe

Inventory

Inventory

Money

pp gp ep sp cp
0 9 0 13 13
  •  

In Containers

Trinket

d100 Trinket

Iolanthe Asks the Fourth and Fifth Questions

Quite automatically, Iolanthe reacts almost conversationally with the corpse—its speech and voice were so lifelike. “Oh, thank you for the recommendation! As for the final two questions . . . Question four: ‘Why would the Cult of Zariel be associated with you?’ And question five: ‘What was the real reason you contacted Segren Hall?’.”

OOC

Movement:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

Interact-with-Object:

Concentration: