Vigo the Ox - failed mercenary captain

ArtStation-Explore.jpeg.970f4be5810bfd0af94b51685327a5ff.jpeg

Name: Vigo of the Iron Isles (aka Vigo "the Ox")

Culture: Ironlander (Iron Isles)

Attributes:

Edge +2

Heart +2

Iron +3

Shadow +1

Wits +1

Assets:

Loyalist (I)

(Path) - When you Aid Your Ally, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit. This is in addition to the benefits taken by your ally.

Veteran (I)

(Path) - When you burn momentum to improve your result in combat, envision how your hard-won fighting experience gives you the upper hand. Then, take +1 momentum after you rest, and add +1 when you make your next move. Once per fight, you also take initiative when burning momentum to improve a miss to a weak hit.

Sunderer (I)

(Combat) - When you Strike or Clash in close quarters, you may suffer -1 momentum and inflict +1 harm on a hit (decide before rolling).

Vows:

See the remnants of my company safely back to their homes (Extreme)

[Inciting incident goes here]

Backstory:

Vigo was never the wisest or the most talented individual in his village. But he was strong and loyal, and when the great conqueror Kuno drafted the men of his village into his service, Vigo was one of the few who went willingly. He idolized the figure of Kuno--a cunning warrior who commanded respect and wielded power unlike anyone else Vigo had ever met.

But the realities of war were far different than the glory promised by Kuno. Soon enough, Vigo found himself trying to lead the ragged remnants of his unit--the men he had grown up with, whose children he had played with. But Vigo was never the wisest, only the biggest. His men followed him loyally, to their deaths, in the face of unfathomable destruction at the hands of the warlords he once sought to emulate.

The only one he could save was young Ari, the son of his friend Orvar, who had traveled far, only to find that his father had died years ago. Gathering what few other survivors he could, Vigo sought to pay his penitence--even but a little--by keeping them safe in their journey home. Where he failed the men under his command, he prayed he would not fail them...

Edited by TheObsoleteMan (see edit history)