"Legacy"

Cairo

ACT 1, SCENE 1

The scene opens to a mottled grey sky threatening rain, accompanied by the sound of distant thunder. As the camera inches back it's revealed to be a reflection in a pool of water, broken suddenly by several pairs of boots crossing it. Incoming phaser fire and indistinct shouts trail a group of four Andorians running over and past the view as the camera, remaining low to the ground, tilts upwards to show them hoof it down a wet, debris-filled alley in a city ruined aeons ago.

The camera cuts ahead of the Andorians and stays with them just as they emerge into an open space, all four clearly drained by the intense chase. Rain—light now but soon to be torrential—falls from above. Dressed in dark jumpsuits the group makes a beeline for a temporary forward base, no more than a small pop-up hab with some containers and lights set outside of it. The lead Andorian is talking in short, frantic bursts into a communicator, shooting anxious looks up at the sky. His antennae signal fear. Two of his accomplices are lugging some kind of large device between them. A beam suddenly strikes the fourth one who stumbles and falls, stunned.

As the camera falls behind it's quickly overtaken by and starts trailing a fifth, female Andorian in hot pursuit. Wearing a tan Starfleet field operations uniform with light green highlights she shouts for the remaining trio to stop, continuing to threaten them with her hand phaser.

The camera cuts in front of the trio who come to a halt and snap around to face their pursuer. Holding his communicator up with one hand, the lead Andorian unlatches his weapon with the other, brings it up and fires a shot.

Another quick cut switches to the Starfleet officer's viewpoint, showing in slow motion the sizzling blue beam pass her and strike the stunned Andorian, instantly disintegrating them. Panning forward we see the officer closing the gap to the trio just as the tell-tale signs of a transporter appear around them. A gloved hand comes into view, reaching for the ethereal visage of the ancient device, but her fingers simply pass through a sea of slowly swirling light. There's a bright flash and a deep, resonating sound as she is thrown back by some strange interaction between her, the device, and the transporter.

The view cuts one final time to dimly lit private quarters aboard a starship. The same Andorian woman wakes up with a start and into a close-up of her face, her eyes looking frantically past the camera. Dramatic chords accompany the revelation before the scene fades to black and the show's opening plays.

ACT 1, SCENE 2

title_legacy.jpg.f9d9e98451a058b90b3971b0d8c2bac4.jpg

The image of a Federation starship's corridor fades in, a blend of gentle angles, rounded off corners and long horizontal panels. Primarily light grey it looks well lit but not bright, with the occasional red accent or doorway adding a welcome spot of color to an otherwise drab interior.

As the camera tracks lazily backwards a three-person spacedock crew can be seen working on a section where missing wall panels reveal bare hardware, with members of the ship's crew passing by both ways in ones and twos. The sounds of installation work and bits of conversation can be heard faintly in the background.

Chief Medical Officer's log, stardate 6470.09. If only to mark the occasion, this is the first official log entry in my new role. I arrived just last night and from what little I've seen so far the Legacy I spent five years on is gone.

The narration is timed with the Andorian officer from before entering the shot from a turbolift, wearing pewter blue pants and a white medical tunic with a wide collar and narrow, deep V-neck. A green caduceus on her left breast identifies her as a member of the medical staff, and the epaulet insignias as a lieutenant commander.

She appears observant, paying attention to everyone she comes across and greeting many with a simple nod or an inaudible word or two. Professional yet approachable.

I expect the coming days to be about reconnection and first encounters both. Many of my colleagues have received new assignments over the ten months Legacy has spent in spacedock. The medical staff will be all new to me, as will fully half of the command crew. I will admit I was waiting for a promotion and a command of my own until the last possible moment, but that in no way diminishes this assignment in my eyes.

The camera cuts to a different part of the ship—the sickbay complex by the looks of it, bustling with workers and security and medical personnel—and slowly pushes in on a permanently installed, person-sized device. It looks nothing like standard Federation technology with its rows of amber lights and helical, almost organic details. It's clearly different in function, but similar in design, to the one the Andorians escaped with in the earlier dream sequence.

The Legacy is a fine ship with a fine captain and I'm excited for the research I'll be doing. Perhaps it's fate that it's I who has the best chance of unravelling this mystery.

ACT 1, SCENE 2 (CONT.)

The camera cuts to the Andorian straightening her uniform in front of a red door labelled "Officers' Dining Room", then cuts again to the other side of the door to catch it opening.

T'Rel: "Tess, welcome."

Tess steps in and brings her hand up in the traditional Vulcan salute. The gesture is mirrored by a tall Vulcan woman with black hair reaching nearly to her shoulders. Her uniform identifies her as a Starfleet captain, but there's a respectful familiarity about the exchange that belies years of service together.

Tess: "Live long and prosper, T'Rel."

The captain gestures for Tess to join the other Starfleet officers in her company—an equally tall, black human male, hands behind his back; a stocky Tellarite giving Tess the expected stink eye; and a petite Bolian woman with a grin on her face. A commander and two lieutenant commanders, respectively.

T'Rel: "Kevor Tess is our chief medical officer. This is Avery Rhyne, the head of sciences and our new first officer. Fer Cherog, in charge of security. You are already acquainted with our chief engineer Misen Chawas of course."

Said Bolian is the first to step forward and she shakes hands with Tess enthusiastically. It's clear from both of their body language that they're on friendly terms.

Chawas: "Kevor! It'll be good to have you patching us up if spacedock hasn't done their job and something combusts that shouldn't."

Tess: "Optimistic as ever, Misen. Good to see you too."

The Tellarite is next in line, making a big show out of considering, approaching, and executing a handshake-turned-hold. Tess appears to be aware of Tellarite greeting customs and sets her jaw in preparation.

Cherog: "Kevor Tess. Haven't I seen that name in a security briefing recently? I'm sure it's crossed my desk in one form or another."

Tess: "Well, has it or hasn't it? I wasn't aware Starfleet standards had taken this steep a dive."

Cherog: "Starfleet's might have—looking at you—but I assure you mine are as high as ever."

Tess: "Couldn't say, I've never heard of you. But I'll make a note to have you screened for illicit substances to see just how high you are."

Cherog: "Bah! You couldn't tell caffeine from cyalodin!"

The camera pushes in as Tess leans closer to Cherog. Now it looks like it's her who's maintaining the grip.

Tess: "Join me for a cup and find out."

There's a pregnant pause before Cherog chuffs, satisfied. The two release their grip and pull apart.

Cherog: "I'll make sure your file's in order, doctor."

The bald, black man is the last to offer his hand. He does so with a smile kept tighter than it wants to be after that bit of cultural exchange.

Rhyne: "Pleased to meet you, chief Tess. Doctor Tess? The captain's told me good things—I look forward to working with you on the device."

Tess: "Likewise commander. And doctor's fine."

With the introductions out of the way T'Rel directs everyone's attention to a large screen at this end of the room.

T'Rel: "I had a second reason for calling this meeting..."

ACT 1, SCENE 2 (CONT.)

As the senior officers line up to listen to the captain the camera tracks to frame her alongside the screen. On it appears a large map showing the unmistakeable Romulan Neutral Zone, more specifically the stretch directly between Earth and Romulus. Points of interest are highlighted and named on the Federation side.

T'Rel: "Two days ago a cargo freighter outbound from Starbase 10 reported unusual readings on the outskirts of the Bassen Rift. The Rift is known to interfere with sensors, but Starfleet's analysis of the freighter's logs does indicate something other than the expected noise. Starfleet Intelligence has assigned this event a low priority rating which tells me they do not think it is the Romulans. It does provide us an opportunity to test the Legacy in a challenging sensor environment, however, so I have informed Starfleet we will be taking a closer look."

The officers look to eachother for immediate reactions. Rhyne appears to have already been briefed on the assignment.

Rhyne: "Our schedule remains unchanged. We expect the last spacedock crews to clear out by 1700 hours ship time, completing handover of the Legacy barring any serious issues."

Chawas: "Utopia Planitia will be hearing from me, but it's nothing we can't handle ourselves. I'll forward relevant findings so everyone knows what to expect. I don't know if your artifact's working, Kevor, but the lights are on."

Tess: "That's a start, thanks. I reviewed records of our medical supplies this morning—we're set there. Crew roster says medical personnel is fully accounted for and I have meetings scheduled with them before we depart."

Cherog: "Security is maintaining heightened alert status on account of all the non-crew foot traffic. I've started reinstating normal access limits around the ship, too, wherever work's finished. Planitia's crews will need to go through me if they leave something behind."

The captain nods and smiles, surely something she's learned through extended exposure to species more inclined to such displays of satisfaction.

T'Rel: "Very good. I remain available if there is anything further. And remember—we set the standard for the rest of the crew. Let us make it a high one.

"Dismissed."

A short, inspiring bit of music plays as the scene concludes and fades out.

ACT 1, SCENE 3

The image resolves to a room dimly lit by light from an adjacent space. Up close to the camera a pair of shadowed hands can be seen placing a flat device on the underside of a desk. As the device locks in place it blinks a red light twice before going dark again.

The lights in the room suddenly come on, revealing the hands to be blue. They're quickly withdrawn as the figure stands up, the camera booming up with them but revealing only the sleeve of their Utopia Planitia uniform. The number '08724' is printed on it. The room appears to be someone's office and opposite the mystery person stands a handsome human male—a nurse judging by his uniform. He's just entered and is looking quite surprised.

Nurse: "Oh! I didn't know someone was still working here."

Worker: "I... forgot to reactivate the lights after diagnostics—"

Nurse: "Well, they seem to be working now!"

Worker: "—didn't want that on my file. This'll be our secret..?"

Nurse: "Uh... sure."

Worker: "Thanks, appreciate it."

The camera stays with the worker as they exit the office into the corridor, never revealing their face. Outside the entrance the view pans around to show the nurse looking after the worker with that classic 'That was a bit weird wasn't it?' -expression on his face.

Tess: "Nurse? Something wrong?"

The camera shifts to bring Tess into frame as she approaches from the opposite direction. She's carrying a blueish grey, nondescript briefcase.

Nurse: "Well—oh, lieutenant commander Kevor Tess! Sir."

Tess makes an amused sound at the litany and puts her hand out. He's quick to shake it.

Tess: "If we're going to make this work I need you to shorten that down."

Nurse: "...'lieutenant commander'..?"

Tess: "Doctor Tess, please. Nurse..?"

Nurse: "Ethan Reade. With an 'E'. Sir."

Tess: "Pleased to meet you, nurse Reade."

Tess nudges her head forward, indicating after the worker Reade was following. She must have seen the back of the person briefly.

Tess: "So, everything in order?"

Reade: "Oh, yes. They've completed work in this section of the ship."

Tess: "Good! Let me set this down and you can walk with me to the meeting room."

The view cuts to the office, just behind and level with the desk. Tess walks in and places her briefcase near the camera before returning to the corridor. Ominous music starts playing as the view slowly booms downwards, showing first the covert device—designed to look like it was part of the desk—then moments later a small worker's toolkit forgotten on the floor.

ACT 1, SCENE 3 (CONT.)

The foreboding music continues playing in the background as we're taken to another dimly lit room, the camera descending from a high vantage point. This one's much larger—some kind of an industrial storage area with rows of tall shelves stocked with starship hardware. The fixtures in the ceiling are dimmed down and barely any light reaches the floor, save for one exception: a lone cargo transporter pad on the other side of the room. It's lit up by a wall light and as the view lingers on it, momentarily by the swirling lights surrounding an arrival.

The camera levels out at eye-height to show the back of a shadowy figure in the foreground, standing by a pedestal in the middle of the room. Their hands remain on the transporter controls as they regard the lone Utopia Planitia worker now standing on the pad in the back.

Figure: "It's done?"

Worker: "Yeah. The devices are in place."

Figure: "Any problems?"

Worker: "...no."

The worker shifts their weight from one foot to the other while their answers are considered. The backlight makes it hard to tell their species, but unlike the silhouette of the shadowy figure, they don't have the antennae of an Andorian.

Seemingly satisfied the figure proceeds to enter commands into the transporter terminal, then walks around the pedestal and approaches the pad as a countdown starts playing. Simultaneously the camera sinks slowly to floor level and pulls focus on the motionless, barely lit form of a half-naked Bolian. In the background, now out of focus, the two co-conspirators stand on the pad.

Figure: "Excellent. We're done here."

The countdown ends and the transporter activates.

ACT 1, SCENE 4

Jack: "What do you mean we're done?"

The single line of voiceover is fully contained within the previous scene, followed by a hard cut to a close-up of a desktop viewer in the middle of a video call. At the other end is a human male, caucasian, in his thirties. He's wearing civilian clothing. The corner of the videofeed identifies him as  'Jack'. Jack looks confused.

Jack: "I know, I know... you said you're not ready to settle down. Neither am I. I thought we had fun. So... what changed?"

The camera pulls out and pans to show a blue hand holding a digital picture frame next to the viewer. On it is presently a photo of Kevor Tess, Misen Chawas and someone else, all dressed in Starfleet uniforms with lieutenant junior grade rank insignias, all toasting with brown bottles of something undoubtedly alcoholic. A label in the corner reads 'Dec 4 2066, San Francisco'.

The camera continues panning, following the uniformed arm to bring Chawas into view. She looks frustrated, like she knows she could do this better but is just brute-forcing her way through.

Chawas: "Nothing changed. I told you about my second tour on the Legacy. I'm going to be away. A lot. Very far."

Jack: "I thought, maybe, we'd do this long-distance. At least we could've talked about it in person."

Chawas: "Yeah, that's on me. Sorry."

Both fall silent for a while. The photo in Chawas' picture frame changes to another of just her and Tess. Same party, looks like. They've found funny hats from somewhere and are making faces.

Chawas: "I don't do long-distance. Besides, I wasn't into you because of the riveting conversation."

Jack looks like he's not sure how to take that.

Chawas: "Like you said. We had fun."

Jack: "Well, damn. I guess that's it then. Uhh... hmm."

Chawas: "What?"

Jack: "I guess I should feel something but I don't. I mean besides annoyance. Maybe it comes later."

Chawas: "It might."

Jack: "Okay, well. Stay safe out there."

Chawas: "Bye Jack."

The call ends and the camera pushes in on the picture frame. It changes again, now showing Tess and Chawas' faces right next to USS Legacy's dedication plaque pre-refit. The photo is dated Dec 13 2066. Chawas rubs the picture fondly with her thumb.

Chawas: "...I said I'm not ready to settle."

ACT 1, SCENE 4 (CONT.)

While the camera stays on the photo of Tess and Chawas, the soundtrack in the background transitions to something more inspirational. A shipwide announcement tone plays over it.

T'Rel (PA): "All hands, this is your captain speaking. It is my privilege to inform you that I have signed off on USS Legacy's refit."

The captain pauses her announcement to allow for cheers she knows to expect around the ship. Simultaneously there is a subtle shift in the orientation of the photo and as the camera starts pulling back, the hand that passes over it is a different shade of blue. The scene's discreetly transitioned to someone else's copy of the photo.

T'Rel (PA): "Wether you are new to the Legacy or have served aboard before, this marks the beginning of a new chapter for all of us."

It soon becomes apparent the photo is now surrounded by many more, arranged in a tight collage set in a physical frame. All of them feature crewmembers from the ship's previous five-year mission.

T'Rel (PA): "We may not know what mysteries, triumphs, and challenges lie ahead of us, but we will see through them together."

Eventually the camera pulls back enough to show Tess hanging the collage on her office wall, next to her diplomas. When she steps back to close her briefcase she suddenly stops, reaches under her desk and brings up a Utopia Planitia toolkit that shouldn't be there.

T'Rel (PA): "Make ready the ship for departure. Captain T'Rel out."

Hearing the captain's final words Tess shakes her head and sets the kit down on her desk, apparently deciding to deal with it later. She closes her briefcase, straightens her uniform and walks out of the frame. The shot of her office—the collage of her colleagues at the center of it—stays with us a moment longer.

ACT 1, SCENE 5

The inspirational music swells to the foreground as the image of Tess' office crossfades to a series of cinematic shots of the USS Legacy in spacedock. There's the majestic curvature of Earth in the background, a number of tugs and shuttles clearing the massive dock structure, and of course the starship itself craddled within and looking brand new.

Indistinct comms chatter is followed by close-ups of various umbilicals and gravity anchors disengaging and retracting. Navigation lights and strobes come on in the ship's extremities. The final tracking shot runs up the ship's neck and around the saucer section, showing its name and registration front-and-center as the dorsal logo lights come on.

U.S.S. LEGACY
NCC – 1668-A

After a dramatic pause the camera cuts to the bridge and a close-up of the Legacy's dedication plaque, updated during the refit to list her as a Constitution II class. The port turbolift next to the plaque opens with a hiss and Tess walks in, moving to stand behind and to the left of the captain.

T'Rel is seated in the captain's chair behind two Caitians operating navigation and helm. All other stations are occupied as well. Most notably, perhaps, the engineering station. The camera cuts briefly to show a close-up of Chawas shoot a lingering look Tess' way, then resume her work with a wide smile on her face.

Benva (male Arbazan): "Spacedock reports all connections severed, captain."

Sh'ara (female Caitian): "Helm ready sir."

M'Mol (male Caitian): "Orbital deparrrture plotted captain."

Benva: "Yard command indicates all clear sir."

T'Rel: "Maneuvering thrusters mister Sh'ara. Hold station."

Sh'ara: "Thrusters at station-keeping sir."

The captain takes a measured look around the bridge, making note of the chief medical officer's presence but staying on task. She exchanges looks with commander Rhyne who's standing between the comms and security stations. For a moment it looks like he's about to say something, but hesitates and the moment passes. Seeing and hearing nothing concerning from her bridge crew T'Rel faces forward again.

T'Rel: "Thrusters ahead mister Sh'ara. Clear the spacedock, then orbital departure as plotted."

The Caitian at helm can be seen executing the captain's orders as the camera cuts back to the outside, presenting a slow top-down tracking shot of the saucer section glimpsed through the spacedock's structure. A few more camera angles follow at a leisurely pace, showing the ship accelerating ponderously. Eventually Legacy's nacelles clear the dock and the ship starts a graceful roll and pitch to follow the flightpath out. As it flies towards and past the camera the view changes back to the bridge.

T'Rel: "Navigation, plot a new course for the Bassen Rift."

The Caitian at navigation gets to work, coming back shortly after.

M'Mol: "Course plotted for the Bassen Rift captain."

T'Rel: "Mister Sh'ara, warp factor 6 as soon as we clear dock perimiter."

Sh'ara: "Warp factor 6, aye captain."

The camera cuts to an outside tracking shot showing Legacy glide past, its nacelles lighting up blue as the warp drive whirrs to life. There's a thrilling ramp-up followed by a satisfying thwomp as the ship shoots beyond visible range, trailing blue lines and short-lived distortions behind her. A bright, contained flash in the distance follows... and she's gone.

ACT 2, SCENE 1

The previous scene fades to black that persists long enough to suggest a time skip and allows the soundtrack to shift to a calmer piece that nonetheless promises trouble ahead. The image eventually resolves to a high shot slowly orbiting the Legacy in warp.

Chief Medical Officer's log, stardate 6470.90. We're mere days into our voyage and the Legacy's first officer, commander Avery Rhyne, is suffering from an as-of-yet unexplained speech impediment.

While the voiceover plays the camera cuts to a scene showing Rhyne and T'Rel having a conversation over a map of the area surrounding the Bassen Rift. There's no sound, but Rhyne can be seen pointing at something on the map and stalling mid-sentence, then looking confused as he struggles to presumably say out loud what he's indicating. T'Rel can be seen inclining her head, concerned.

He describes it as a random inability to vocalize words. Not even specific ones; one minute he might struggle with a word that he's able to vocalize the next. Considering the needs of his position I've relieved him of his duties as the ship's first officer for the time being.

The camera cuts to a scene of commander Rhyne laying on a diagnostics table in white, sleeveless patient wear while Tess exchanges a few words with T'Rel, then sees the captain to the door and closes it behind her. Nurse Reade remains in the room as Tess starts running diagnostics.

I've given the commander a full physical examination and found nothing out of the ordinary with his vocal cords and other muscles and tissues involved in producing speech. He also has no trouble producing text or understanding words.

A series of short scenes accompany the voice over, showing Tess observing various scans and readouts of Rhyne's body while he converses with her, writes text, and goes through different kinds of cognitive tests, again and again. He only visibly struggles with the conversations, seemingly more and more in the later shots. His growing frustration is evident.

Based on my observations the problem is worsening rapidly. More tests are required to understand the root cause. I've requested commander Rhyne's full records from Starfleet Medical for a more complete picture of his health, and his parents' medical histories to investigate a possible hereditary condition.

The view switches to a shot of the strange alien device installed in the sickbay, lit up but unattended.

Needless to say, our research into the ancient artifact is on hold. The well-being of the crew is my priority.

ACT 2, SCENE 1 (CONT.)

The camera crossfades to Tess seated at her desk, pouring over medical records on a dark grey, wedge-shaped data slate. Compared to the previous shots she looks tired, but the expression on her face remains determined.

Cherog: "So, the reports are true. Someone is violating their work schedule."

The camera cuts to show the Tellarite chief of security standing at the office doorway, holding a smaller grey data slate in one hand and a tray with two steaming cups in the other. He invites himself in, sets the tray down and hands one cup to Tess before sitting down opposite from her with his own. She switches her slate off, pushes it aside and leans back, looking both glad for the break and surprised by whose idea it is.

Tess: "...so you decided to bring me caffeine to make sure the violation continues? You're a terrible people leader."

The Tellarite snorts.

Cherog: "Maybe it's cyalodin and I've come to put a stop to the violation, for good."

Tess smirks. Cherog chuffs. Both fall silent for a moment, then simultaneously take a sip from their cups. Neither one seems ill-affected by the drink—quite the opposite in Tess' case, in fact, as the tension on her face slowly melts away.

Tess: "This should keep me going for a couple of more hours. What can I do for you?"

The Tellarite sets down his cup, taps a few times on his slate and slides it across the desk facing Tess. There's a photo of a Bolian male on it, identified as Yexin Esrad, Utopia Planitia worker 08724. She doesn't appear to recognize him.

Cherog: "They went looking for him after you reported the... um, equipment. Found him dead at a storage facility six hours ago. Strangled."

Tess frowns at that.

Tess: "I don't know for sure if it was him in the corridor. Nurse Reade got a better look I think. You should ask him."

Cherog nods and leans back in his chair, looking around the office. Tess continues sipping her coffee, watching Cherog curiously, as if she's noticing something's off.

Cherog: "Security cleared this area of spacedock workers not long before your encounter. Work here was reported as finished. He would have taken his... um... equipment if that's what he came back for, and in any case the workers had strict instructions to go through me. Now he's dead. He was up to something, I just know it."

The camera shows Cherog's attention lingering on the photo collage on the wall while he talks. It seems to get him thinking about something other than the dead worker.

Cherog: "Speaking of mysteries, ah-hmm... how's the commander's coming along?"

Tess shakes her head slowly and gestures at her data slate.

Tess: "It's not hereditary, I don't think. I'm still going through his medical history to figure out if it might be something he was exposed to—"

Cherog: "Any chance of it being... contagious?"

Tess raises an eyebrow at that, looking at the chief of security intently. She says nothing, using her silence to pressure him to go on.

Cherog: "I was just... it's probably nothing. Busy couple of days, you know?"

The Tellarite looks concerned, turning the cup in his hands, then suddenly bursts out.

Cherog: "Toolkit! There we go. Not a problem. Nothing to worry about."

Tess sets her cup down and stands up.

Tess: "How long have you been experiencing trouble with words? ...Cherog?"

Cherog: "Ohh... a couple of hours, maybe? Twelve...?"

Freshly hopped up on caffeine and now this revelation, any traces of tiredness vanish from the doctor's face. She steps up to the comms panel and punches in a short sequence.

Tess: "Captain T'Rel, please see me at the infectious disease ward immediately. And have commander Rhyne escorted there. Quarantine protocols."

ACT 2, SCENE 2

The music swells to a dramatic crescendo at Tess' call for a quarantine, then dies down with a fade to black. After a brief pause two thuds follow in rapid succession, distant.

Chief Medical Officer's log, stardate... 6471.57. The Legacy's medical personnel, though brand new to working together, have performed swiftly and decisively in cooperation with other departments to implement quarantine protocols aboard the Legacy.

The image comes back to a slow tracking shot following a curved corridor, accompanied only by the steady humm of a starship. No-one's present. There's two more similar but not perfectly identical thuds, still distant.

Approximately ten per cent of the crew is showing the symptoms. Commander Rhyne is the first to have completely lost his ability to speak. Captain T'Rel's leadership has been instrumental, and to the rest of the crew's credit, everyone has understood the gravity of the situation and co-operated without hesitation.

The camera cuts to the mess hall, maintaining the same forward motion and speed as it glides over vacant tables and chairs. The windows reveal the ship is traveling at warp. More thuds follow, three now, perhaps slightly louder than before.

Now it's up to me and my teams to figure out how the disease spreads and how we can cure it. It would help to know where and how commander Rhyne contracted it. My research into his medical and service records has surfaced one recent candidate.

The next cut shows an arboretum, following a tiled path winding its way between trees, under a blue facsimile sky. The gentle bubbling of a fountain can be heard in the background, interrupted briefly by a rapid-fire series of thuds, now much closer.

Unfortunately the assignment in question has been classified beyond my clearance. I'll need to reach out to Rhyne's former boss and make a case for accessing the details. Without them we'll be flailing in the dark.

One last cut takes the camera to a swimming pool, crossing over it as it approaches a balcony overlooking a large gymnasium below. At the center of the open space is a lone Andorian clad in white shoes, boxers and T-shirt, wearing blue and white boxing gloves. She's dancing around a tall punching bag hovering mid-air, landing series of controlled punches on it.

Thud-thud. Thud-thud-thud.

As the camera closes in and moves around the bag's back, the doctor's sweaty face comes into view. A brief respite ends in another series of blows still audible as the camera cuts to black.

I hope he will see things my way.

ACT 2, SCENE 2 (CONT.)

The image comes back to a head-on close-up of a desktop viewer announcing an incoming call from Starfleet CMO Kevor Tess, soon replaced by a live feed of the doctor. Her composure takes a hit when she realizes there's no one at the other end.

Tess: "...engineer Mahan? Sir?"

Mahan: "Ah! Found it! Just a moment please. I'll be right with you."

The tinny voice originates from somewhere outside of the frame, followed by sounds of things being moved around. On the viewer Tess shifts in her chair, not used to being put on hold. Just as her antennae start to droop in annoyance someone sits down between the camera and the viewer.

The camera reacts quickly, moving to the side to show a Zaranite in brown civilian clothing, wearing a breathing apparatus that's connected to a pack on his back. A large, circular piece of jewelry made out of the horns of an unknown animal hangs over his chest.

The widening of the shot affords a view of a cluttered office. A wide, curved window behind Mahan reveals a soupy red atmosphere outside, contrasted by the unframed paintings of beautiful planetary vistas on the walls. The many desks in the room are taken up by physical models of planetside structures, stacks of data slates and gear that doesn't immediately communicate purpose. Mahan himself is holding up a strange-looking gadget in his hand—no doubt the one he was just searching for—which he promptly sets down next to the viewer.

Mahan: "Aahhh-hmmm! Don't need that right now... Terribly sorry about the delay, chief. Busy, busy all the time and to be honest rarely get callers. But enough about me—how can I help you?"

Tess: "Thank you for taking the time. I'm calling on an urgent medical matter related to a former colleague of yours, Avery Rhyne?"

Mahan: "Ah, yes, yes! He was the lead scientist here on loan from Starfleet, before his new assignment. Wonderful cranial structure, quite remarkable."

Considering Mahan's own smooth if lobed cranium, it's not hard to understand why he might find Rhyne's bald head impressive. Tess quickly steers the conversation away from that.

Tess: "Rhyne is patient zero in an outbreak of an unknown disease here onboard the USS Legacy, and his recent participation in your classified project drew my attention."

Mahan leans forward to rest his mask against his steepled fingers. These unfortunate news seem to focus his mind.

Mahan: "Disease? Oh, that's not good. What are the symptoms?"

Tess: "Primarily the rapid loss of the subject's ability to vocalize words. We're talking within days of infection, with some variance between different species. There's also sporadic muscle spasms, though they are rarer. In fact... I'm the only one exhibiting them so far."

As if on cue Tess' whole body jerks. She grits her teeth to fight the spasm and stay upright. Mahan doesn't have eyebrows to raise, but the way he tilts his head approximates the same intent.

Mahan: "It's true our work here involves bacteria and viruses... but I can't go into details over comms. Suffice to say it would take an unprecedented leap for them to cause what you describe."

Tess: "I don't mean to second guess your expertise, but we're talking about an aggressive pathogen posing a threat which we don't fully understand yet. I want to get ahead of this thing. However unlikely, your project is the best lead I have right now."

Mahan: "I understand your urgency, chief, and we share a common concern. Tell me, do you know what it is I do?"

Tess: "You're a terraforming engineer."

There's the slightest hint of edge in Tess' answer, as if she is questioning the relevance of the topic. It might also be just her trying to maintain composure.

Mahan: "Yes. I work with scientists such as commander Rhyne to develop faster ways to terraform more varied planets. Ever since the Organians got the Federation and Klingons to set aside open hostilities five years ago, we've been in competition to find the best ways to develop new worlds."

Tess: "Hence the secrecy."

Mahan nods, then inclines his head thoughtfully.

Mahan: "I will agree to share classified information through your captain. She will take responsibility for safeguarding the data. You must limit access to the data and once you've concluded your investigation it must be destroyed securely."

Tess: "Understood. Captain T'Rel will be in contact with you. And thank you."

Mahan: "Keep me informed, chief. If there is a connection I want to know about it. It's vital for the viability of my project as well."

Tess: "I will call you personally."

ACT 2, SCENE 3

The camera fades to black, then back again to a laboratory onboard the Legacy. Displays up on the walls show genomic data, patient test results, research notes and more. Below them sit a variety of scientific equipment for sample collection, analysis, storage, and disposal. In the center of the room is an island with more displays, one of which Tess is presently working on. As the camera pans around commander Rhyne comes into view, working opposite from her.

Tess: "Mahan didn't exaggerate when he said you were designing a terraforming solution for varied planetary conditions. The virus I extracted from the crew has adapted to crossing between humanoid species. I can see where it got that ability."

Commander Rhyne frowns, then types on his display. Tess glances over to the display next to the one she's working on. Rhyne must be communicating with her via text messages.

Tess: "Coincidence? No. I couldn't craft this thing, but I can tell they're from the same strain. Something has changed the virus from rapidly enrichening soil to... silencing the host."

Commander Rhyne taps out another message and looks questioningly over the island at Tess. She glances at the message, rubbing her left hand as it experiences the shakes. Her antennae signal frustration.

Tess: "Add it to the pile of mysteries."

Suddenly the entire room trembles. Tess and Rhyne both grab onto the island to steady themselves as the camera tilts one way, suggesting the ship's inertial dampeners are having difficulty compensating for something. Warning lights come on and yellow alert starts blaring.

T'Rel (PA): "Duty shift to your stations! Rest of the crew, maintain quarantine–"

The captain seems to stall at the end of her announcement before she ends the shipwide. Meanwhile Tess makes her way to a different display to access a readout of the ship's status.

Tess: "We've been forcibly pulled out of warp by some external force. Reports of injuries are coming in. I need to go coordinate medical efforts, commander. Stay here."

The camera cuts to an external view of the Legacy listing heavily to one side. The ship passes by almost sideways and as the camera pans to follow, shows it being drawn towards a massive area of space shrouded in purple haze. In the thick of it the clouds are distorted by some kind of spatial anomaly.

Maintaining a frantic sense of action the camera cuts again, this time to the ship's engineering. Chawas is fighting the tilt to reach a comms panel and acknowledge an incoming call.

T'Rel (comms): "Chief, the Legacy is caught in a gravimetric eddy. We're reorienting the ship but the impulse drives might not be enough to fight it."

Chawas: "Understood captain, I'll see to it that they are!"

The chief engineer ends the call and makes her way to a wall panel. She yanks it out and sets it aside, only to have it slide along the floor to a different part of the room. She gestures for a human engineer to join her.

Chawas: "Jones! Let's tap into the warp core and—"

The entire deck trembles from the enormous stresses affecting the ship, but it's not the tremors making Chawas stall. She looks confused as she can't seem to bring herself to say the words.

Jones: "Chief?"

Chawas: "Just... bypass the warp core safeties, I'll reroute the power!"

ACT 2, SCENE 3 (CONT.)

There's a snap cut to the bridge showing members of the medical staff attending to the injured, while the rest of the bridge crew are busy wrestling with the ship and trying to figure out what the strange phenomena is. A shot of the helm station shows impulse engine readouts suddenly climbing through yellow and into the red.

Chawas (comms): "Bridge, we're pushing the—  the— damnit, we're well beyond spec, make the most of it!"

T'Rel: "Thank you chief. Mister Sh'ara, get us turned around and away from that— ...thing!"

Sh'ara: "Aye captain!"

The Caitian helmsman was already busy fighting the unpredictable eddy, but now switches tactics to try and power away from it. The camera goes to a wider shot of the bridge with the main viewscreen showing purple clouds moving aside as the ship turns.

Simultaneously an upbeat rock song (▶️) starts playing in the background, an odd choice for the scene. It quickly becomes evident however that the crew is hearing it too.

🎵 I'm alright
Nobody worry 'bout me
Why you got to gimme a fight?
Can't you just let it be?

T'Rel: "W... what is this? Comms?"

Benva: "It's not external, captain. This is... us? It's going out shipwide."

🎵 I'm alright ...

T'Rel: "Find the source, mister Benva, and shut it down. Coordinate with— with Chawas if necessary."

Benva: "Understood captain."

🎵 Do what you like ...

T'Rel (PA): "All hands, this is the captain. We are looking into a— into an issue with the ship's internal— systems. Do not be alarmed by the music."

🎵 It's your life ...

While Kenny Loggins continues playing in the background the camera cuts to an external shot of the Legacy. The ship appears more stable but the haze slowly overcoming it and the motion of the camera implies it continues to be pulled deeper, nacelles first. The high angle of the shot further amplifies a sense of sinking into purple space soup.

🎵 ... (Dip dip dip dip dip dip dip dip)

Returning to the bridge, Tess is shown exiting the turbolift. She meets the captain's eyes and gestures upwards, referring to the music.

Tess: "...captain?"

T'Rel: "I am as baffled as you are, doctor. It sounds like classical Earth—"

The captain tries to say a word but is unable to. She gives up with what passes for an expression of frustration for a Vulcan. It's a cue for Tess to bring up the real reason why she came over.

🎵 I'm alright ...

Tess: "The ship is in trouble, captain. It's clear that you are impacted by the disease to a point wh–"

Benva: "Captain, incoming hail! Encrypted. That's odd... it's an older cypher. They know we've cracked this one."

The captain holds her hand up to stop what she knows Tess is about to say. She turns to look at the Arbazan comms officer.

T'Rel: "Who is it?"

As the comms officer swivels in his chair to look back at the captain, the camera pushes in to capture the mix of surprise and concern on his face.

Benva: "It's the Romulans, sir."

🎵 Who do you want?
Who you gonna be today?
And who is it really
Makin' up your mind?