Edit History

Ayeba

Ayeba

20 minutes ago, Neopopulas said:

The weirdest thing about applications like this is.. you just don't know what'll get you in. Group composition, campaign type, GM mood on the day, who knows. I've done hundreds of applications and honestly.. i have no idea what gets me in and what doesn't lol

If I was a GM picking out players, there is one factor that I would weigh heavier than anything else: Chemistry, or how well I think the cooperation between me and the player in question would function. Most other factors can be mitigated for.

An unbalanced group composition? I'll make it work, if necessary by throwing in NPCs to cover their shortcomings. Or even better, play into their weakness, and use that as basis for some great roleplaying.

Inexperienced players? They can learn.

Inappropriate characters for the campaign? I can talk to the players and together make some adjustments.

The problem with chemistry is that it is a very abstract concept, almost impossible to determine in advance. Unless there are obvious red flags, I'd have to decide by other factors, such as how well the player writes, how well the group would fit together, etc. Or just ballpark it with my highly imprecise intuition.

Ayeba

Ayeba

12 minutes ago, Neopopulas said:

The weirdest thing about applications like this is.. you just don't know what'll get you in. Group composition, campaign type, GM mood on the day, who knows. I've done hundreds of applications and honestly.. i have no idea what gets me in and what doesn't lol

If I was a GM picking out players, there is one factor that I would weigh heavier than anything else: Chemistry, or how well I think the cooperation between me and the player in question would function. Most other factors can be mitigated for.

An unbalanced group composition? I'll make it work, if necessary by throwing in NPCs to cover their shortcomings. Or even better, play into their weakness, and use that as basis for some great roleplaying.

Inexperienced players? They can learn.

Inappropriate characters for the campaign? I can talk to the players and together make some adjustments.

The problem with chemistry is that it is a very abstract concept, almost impossible to determine in advance. Unless there are obvious red flags, I'd have to decide by other factors, such as how well the player writes, how well the group would fit together, etc. Or just ballpark it with my highly imprecise intuition.