Edit History

Papa Bear

Papa Bear

2 hours ago, Llyarden said:

I only have 6e and Champions - how different is 5e revised to those?

I assume when you say 'champions' you meant Champions Complete as that's a pared down version of 6e.

The gameplay itself is almost identical. Most of the differences are in character creation. 5eR and all of the versions before it used 'figured Characteristics'. The first 8 (Str through Com) were straight point buy, but PD, ED down through Stun were 'figured', meaning they used the first 8 (well, nothing used Com, so the first 7) to calculate the base values (instead of them being a base value of 10). Point costs were generally higher (Dex costs 3 per +1 instead of 2). For the most part. The power costs were mostly the same with some tweaks here and there to the cost, but not a whole lot needed to be changed since 4th edition. 5th mostly expanded on 4th and, since it was like 20 years after, a new edition was warranted even if not much 'changed' because the system was basically perfect since 4e. The one big difference, which turns out to be mostly cosmetic, was applying power costs to calculate the different Perks and Talents. Some changed but mostly they rammed the calculations to 'justify' the costs that they had set originally. 6e did away with that because it was pointless (especially considering the power costs were balanced, but arbitrary).

Champions complete just simplified 6e very nicely. It did away with a lot of things and folded other things into something else. IF you are going to play 6e, Complete is definitely the way to go.

The newest Hero Designer builds both 5e and 6e, so if you have that, you are golden. It no longer supports 4e, which I think is sad, but I probably would never play 4e again since 5e explains out the rules and power descriptions (with examples) better.

Papa Bear

Papa Bear

2 hours ago, Llyarden said:

I only have 6e and Champions - how different is 5e revised to those?

I assume when you say 'champions' you meant Champions Complete as that's a pared down version of 6e.

The gameplay itself is almost identical. Most of the differences are in character creation. 5eR and all of the versions before it used 'figured Characteristics'. The first 8 (Str through Com) were straight point buy, but PD, ED down through Stun were 'figured', meaning they used the first 8 (well, nothing used Com, so the first 7) to calculate the base values (instead of them being a base value of 10). Point costs were generally higher (Dex costs 3 per +1 instead of 2). For the most part. The power costs were mostly the same with some tweaks here and there to the cost, but not a whole lot needed to be changed since 4th edition. 5th mostly expanded on 4th and, since it was like 20 years after, a new edition was warranted even if not much 'changed' because the system was basically perfect since 4e. The one big difference, which turns out to be mostly cosmetic, was applying power costs to calculate the different Perks. Some changed but mostly they rammed the calculations to 'justify' the costs that they had set originally. 6e did away with that because it was pointless (especially considering the power costs were balanced, but arbitrary).

Champions complete just simplified 6e very nicely. It did away with a lot of things and folded other things into something else. IF you are going to play 6e, Complete is definitely the way to go.

The newest Hero Designer builds both 5e and 6e, so if you have that, you are golden. It no longer supports 4e, which I think is sad, but I probably would never play 4e again since 5e explains out the rules and power descriptions (with examples) better.